Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't buy from them but it gets annoying to have to update my excel sheet of ethical tabletop poo poo all the time

Yeah, hate to be slightly inconvenienced by not giving money to serial abusers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Countdown to "and yet you buy from" multinational corporation. checkmate" poast.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'll take it, I've not painted a drat thing since 2014 and never worked with yellow. :toot: Gonna base him tomorrow, prime the rest of the team once the weather dries down, and then start on another blitzer since I've got extras. Might try a blue jumpsuit this time, see how that works.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 13, 2022

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
What are the goon approved rattle can and airbrush matte varnish? I just have some army painter can that gives mixed results.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

something something ethical consumption thanks bro

Cat Face Joe posted:

Countdown to "and yet you buy from" multinational corporation. checkmate" poast.

Knock it off please folks. Just say why people shouldn't buy from Michigan Toy Soldier if that's a realpost and not an ironypost (I genuinely can't tell and I read back a page to try and see), and otherwise the whole "and yet you participate in society" "just asking questions" "debate" horror show can please be confined to the horrible politics subforums or the TG as an Industry thread.

Goons are gonna shop at places we don't all approve of and derailing a thread to go after them about it sucks more than the tiny contribution each one possibly makes to our collective helldoom. I get that "where can I source a genuine W&N brush" is a relevant topic for this thread, I'm just asking to avoid the irony-poisoned one-liner sniping stuff.

Thanks.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bored Online posted:

What are the goon approved rattle can and airbrush matte varnish? I just have some army painter can that gives mixed results.

Vallejo acrylic matte varnish spray can be found at art supply stores in the artist paint section and has a wonderful finish, much more even than army painter or citadel.

I have never used airbrush varnish so I can't comment on that one.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If anyone has used airbrush varnish I would be interested in a testimonial. Looking at an air brush for priming mostly, maaaaybe "painting" large flat stuff like vehicles but mostly do my painting by hand. If finishing also works well through an airbrush I would probably do that too.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vallejo Mecha Matt or AK Interactive Ultra Matte are both fantastic picks for an airbrush varnish.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Cinara posted:

Vallejo Mecha Matt or AK Interactive Ultra Matte are both fantastic picks for an airbrush varnish.

Agree 100%
I've also used the normal Vallejo varnishes and those work well top. But the mecha stuff is very nice

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rustoleum Dead Flat is literally Testors Dullcote in a bigger can for less money, buy that

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's no hidden gotchas like "Oh yeah the chemistry of using them means it only works under the moonlight of a second Tuesday of the month and you have to clean it with unicorn tears"?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
MECHA MATTE

I use the mecha gloss too, but "normal" vallejo satin for satin. No reason. I'll airbrush these on now, but I hand-brushed them all beforehand and they still looked great (thin all of these slightly)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Silhouette posted:

Rustoleum Dead Flat is literally Testors Dullcote in a bigger can for less money, buy that

I've been using this the last few months and really like it so far. The Rust-Oleum that is.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've been using this the last few months and really like it so far. The Rust-Oleum that is.

Just what I was looking for. I'm using the basic rustoleum painters touch matt and it's still far too shiny

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 13, 2022

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hit my fire bois with a layer paint and did their crests. its starting to look nice. im still sweating what to paint their pants. maybe a charcoal grey?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Don't buy anything important from Amazon

Definitely, but the W&N issues aren't just an Amazon knockoff thing. You can get poo poo ones from places like Blick just as easily.

Bored Online posted:

I stopped with cans years ago but for airbrush Badger Stynlrez is basically magic as long as you don't drown the figure in 5x as much as you need (and shake the white well). John Badger is grumpy about credit cards at conventions but as far as I know he's not a pedophile or anything.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 13, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone know a great place to get a deal on green, brown, or grey kneadatite?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

bird food bathtub posted:

There's no hidden gotchas like "Oh yeah the chemistry of using them means it only works under the moonlight of a second Tuesday of the month and you have to clean it with unicorn tears"?

Acrylic varnishes are dead-rear end simple. Same rules as paint, so managing humidity-related fuzzing is the hardest part. They clean up just like acrylic paint.

Enamels and lacquers require the same level of cautionary handling as equivalent paints, so I wouldn't recommend them if you're asking these questions just yet. TBF Dullcote ain't got poo poo on Mecha Matte anyway.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Mecha matte makes my 4/10 paint jobs look like 5/10s

Also, consider multiple levels of glossiness! I'll spray matte and then go back and pick out lenses/glass/shiny metals/blood/liquid with gloss, and satin for bone or ivory, etc

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The Michtoy guy's deal - the direct owner of the company, not just some stooge floor manager - is the prototypical small business tyrant. He's an abusive creep towards male and female employees alike, ist ein sexmonster, and his big-brain play a while back was to try and defraud Peter Jackson. Jackson can go get hosed himself, but if I were running a nerd business I would personally not try and rip off the Lord of the Rings guy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

w00tmonger posted:

Just what I was looking for. I'm using the basic rustoleum painters touch matt and it's still far too shiny

Rust-Oleum actually makes Dullcote for testors, and the exclusivity deal on the formula ran out a few years ago so now they sell it as Dead Flat. When I said it's literally the same thing in a bigger can for less money, I meant it :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
AK interactive’s matte or ultra matte are both superb for airbrushing.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, hate to be slightly inconvenienced by not giving money to serial abusers.

any other local creeps I should be aware of?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Roughly half my minis were finished with spray can matte varnish I got in the craft paint aisle at Michaels, and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the ones I've airbrushed with Vallejo varnish.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Lumpy posted:

Roughly half my minis were finished with spray can matte varnish I got in the craft paint aisle at Michaels, and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the ones I've airbrushed with Vallejo varnish.

Same but with the various DecoArt DuraClear polyurethane varnishes I've used (mainly brushed those ones on).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I brush on liquitex matte varnish, I like being able to control how thick it goes on.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i saw a short documentary on how they make w&n s7 brushes about 10 years back and all of their expert staff was 95 years old so i assume all the people that knew what they were doing over there are dead now

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What is the recommended white airbrush primer?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

I heard good things about pro acryl

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

The only white primer I have used is Vallejo Surface primer (which I thin a little bit) and it seems to work fine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

The only white primer I have used is Vallejo Surface primer (which I thin a little bit) and it seems to work fine.

So you thin it with anything specific?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I have a big bottle of Vince's thinner recipe: 4 parts airbrush thinner to 1 part flow improver.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

"Airbrush Thinner" is a broad category right? It depends on the type of paint yeah?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I just use a bit of Vallejo airbrush flow improver. That stuff is magic

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i just do vallejo black with a white ink zenithal of varying intensity. is there any benefit to trying different colors of primer?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jarofpiss posted:

i just do vallejo black with a white ink zenithal of varying intensity. is there any benefit to trying different colors of primer?

If you have 20 Stargrave minis to use for random hive scum in your Necromunda campaign, you can prime the white, slap speedpaint on them, and get them all done over lunch!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

If you have 20 Stargrave minis to use for random hive scum in your Necromunda campaign, you can prime the white, slap speedpaint on them, and get them all done over lunch!

20?

Some dupes but uh.... Yeah that's the plan...

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Lumpy posted:

i use a lot of speed paint & contrast paint and i think there might be a couple that actually give a finished single coat i like. im still debating if it makes me any faster because i either still have to do clean up or have to paint perfectly in one pass.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jarofpiss posted:

i use a lot of speed paint & contrast paint and i think there might be a couple that actually give a finished single coat i like. im still debating if it makes me any faster because i either still have to do clean up or have to paint perfectly in one pass.

One or two of these guys see the table for a couple hours if a gang is so outclassed they need help; I don't care what they look like and was debating just leaving them unpainted... but I couldn't do it, so I limited myself to a lunch hour for all 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jarofpiss posted:

The colour of the undercoat can influence whatever you base with on top. Red, being pretty translucent for example, looks a lot warmer with a sepia/brown undercoat than with straight white/black. Blue makes things cooler, etc. Depends on how translucent your base paints are -- contrast and speedpaints will definitely be influenced by the undercoat.