Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Alright, probably way too early for this, but let's have some lines. Assuming Patty stays and one of the following goes:

If Bjorkstrand goes:
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Nyquist-Roslovic-Voracek
Johnson-Sillinger-Marchenko
Texier-Kuraly-Robinson/Chinakhov

If Nyquist goes:
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Bjorkstrand-Roslovic-Voracek
Johnson-Sillinger-Marchenko
Texier-Kuraly-Robinson/Chinakhov

Lobsterboy posted:

I have to imagine it would rather be Tex or someone else that hasn't been as important as Bjork, who knows

If Texier goes:
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Nyquist-Roslovic-Voracek
Johnson-Sillinger-Bjorkstrand
Chinakhov-Kuraly-Marchenko/Robinson

Big Leg posted:

he seems like a guy you could actually trade for a defenseman who isn't just a slow giant dumbass, so it would be cool if that happened

Werenski-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Gudbranson
Bean-Blankenburg
Not A Slow Giant Dumbass who it's Hard to Place in the Lineup Until We Know who it Might Be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1547416865990971392

:toot:

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
honestly I'm just happy CBJ appears to have gotten rid of scott harrington, a man so bad toronto got rid of when they had no defenders on his side.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1547416005307146240

Wow!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Oooooof.

As a Nucks fan it was nice to enjoy free agency peacefully for once. I'm not sure how to feel about signing Mikheyev -- price seems fine but I don't see how he fits in their roster/cap/contention window. Unless Garland is definitely gone, in which case, sure whatever.

Well right now the Canucks 4th line has wings of Tanner Pearson and Podkolzin on it - so yeah has to be more to come unless the strategy is deepest wings in the league and worse defence..

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still can't believe what a great job Ottawa's done legitimizing their team that fast.

They're 100% dumping the Leafs in r1.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I still can't believe what a great job Ottawa's done legitimizing their team that fast.

Not if the Red Wings get that matchup first!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about that exact thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1547423221053620224

I guess he's a winning player? Hard to see this moving the needle at all though.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

As someone who has traveled around the world and lives here now: Columbus ain't bad. It's no LA or NYC or even Denver, but people poo poo on it pretty needlessly imo. If I didn't have a family there is a 0 percent chance I'd live here, but I do and it's pretty good for that. Lots of great school systems. North end of town is in one of the fastest growing counties in the entire country. The food scene is p loving good (as long as you don't listen to the Ohioans who will defend, like, Applebees and talk about the "good" Dennys that's over there, not over there). Not really sure about the hard turn towards it being Chudistan, if the politics don't change we're probably moving to Germany where everyone in my family but me has citizenship lol.

Former NHL guy lives in my neighborhood. His kids insane amount of hockey gear is always out drying in their driveway. Not sure if this place is attractive for hockey players for some reason cause I can't figure out why he and his insanely hot wife live here.

edit: also getting a medical card is pretty easy so it has weed stores and that's like 99% of my calculus on where to live anymore besides insane conservatism

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 14, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Gotta spend all that Gaudreau money on someone, can't just leave cap space open to take advantage of dumber teams to vacuum up assets with later, that wouldn't make sense at all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there any goalies left on the market for NJ to sign

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah they have a real solid top 6 forward group, maybe two half-decent defenseman and one steadily-declining goalie, they're going places!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think it’s a mistake but they are looking like they are going with what they have.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Braden Holtby?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Comedy Marty Biron Option.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

grack posted:

Braden Holtby?

He’s not playing this year

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

Yeah they have a real solid top 6 forward group, maybe two half-decent defenseman and one steadily-declining goalie, they're going places!!

This could almost describe Toronto as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1547434104139948032?s=21

Oooof. That’s a lot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

i am a moron posted:

As someone who has traveled around the world and lives here now: Columbus ain't bad. It's no LA or NYC or even Denver, but people poo poo on it pretty needlessly imo. If I didn't have a family there is a 0 percent chance I'd live here, but I do and it's pretty good for that. Lots of great school systems. North end of town is in one of the fastest growing counties in the entire country. The food scene is p loving good (as long as you don't listen to the Ohioans who will defend, like, Applebees and talk about the "good" Dennys that's over there, not over there). Not really sure about the hard turn towards it being Chudistan, if the politics don't change we're probably moving to Germany where everyone in my family but me has citizenship lol.

Former NHL guy lives in my neighborhood. His kids insane amount of hockey gear is always out drying in their driveway. Not sure if this place is attractive for hockey players for some reason cause I can't figure out why he and his insanely hot wife live here.

edit: also getting a medical card is pretty easy so it has weed stores and that's like 99% of my calculus on where to live anymore besides insane conservatism

It's been widely said that Columbus is attractive to hockey players who have families and stick around for the reasons you described, in addition to the ability to remain fairly anonymous when out in town as opposed to being easily recognized and, thus, mobbed (or at least that's what Rick Nash and Laine have said). A couple friends of mine ran into RJ Umberger at Target one time.

Politics-wise, the cities tend to be liberal; Columbus went blue in every POTUS election (except 2020) back to 1996, and Cincinnati/Cleveland/Dayton/Akron-Canton tend to do the same.

Plus, you can get a nice-rear end house for the same money as an apartment in some cities. Nick Foligno's old house (which he sold because he's building a new one while he's in Boston), for example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2380-Lane-Rd-Upper-Arlington-OH-43220/102285757_zpid/

e- Correction, Biden won Franklin County in 2020. 1992 was the last Presidential election in which Franklin went Red.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 14, 2022

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That Palat contract sucks rear end and reeks of desperation after not signing Johnny. He’s 31 and cracked 60pts once, 8 years ago!

Fun fact, Jon Cooper has been his only coach since he went pro in Syracuse

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's been widely said that Columbus is attractive to hockey players who have families and stick around for the reasons you described. Politics-wise, the cities tend to be liberal; Columbus went blue in every POTUS election (except 2020) back to 1996, and Cincinnati/Cleveland/Dayton/Akron-Canton tend to do the same.

Plus, you can get a nice-rear end house for the same money as an apartment in some cities. Nick Foligno's old house (which he sold because he's building a new one while he's in Boston), for example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2380-Lane-Rd-Upper-Arlington-OH-43220/102285757_zpid/

e- Correction, Biden won Franklin County in 2020. 1992 was the last Presidential election in which Franklin went Red.

That's a house that you can have a lot of kids in.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Gaudreau+Laine could be absolutely lethal with a semi competent center.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Elite wingers being centered by Boone Jenner or Jack Roslovic

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's been widely said that Columbus is attractive to hockey players who have families and stick around for the reasons you described, in addition to the ability to remain fairly anonymous when out in town as opposed to being easily recognized and, thus, mobbed (or at least that's what Rick Nash and Laine have said). A couple friends of mine ran into RJ Umberger at Target one time.

Politics-wise, the cities tend to be liberal; Columbus went blue in every POTUS election (except 2020) back to 1996, and Cincinnati/Cleveland/Dayton/Akron-Canton tend to do the same.

Franklin County is extremely blue. It also encompasses the vast majority of Columbus proper. I live about five minutes from the technical north part of the city which is in Delaware County (200k people vs 1.1 million in Franklin) and is the fastest growing county by far in the state. It’s red but I think it might run blue the more neighborhoods they plop down in this poo poo. Maybe.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Dirty Burger posted:

Elite wingers being centered by Boone Jenner or Jack Roslovic

Boone Jenner was on pace for 30 goals/61 points last season between Laine and Voracek before he got hurt.

Imagine what they might be able to do if Roslovic keeps his game from the second half of the season up or if Johnson/Sillinger pan out as a #1C.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Giving this its own post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSGsvT45YA

...because this owned and I hope they revisit this somehow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

‘Blue except 2020’ is like the worst possible voting record, so good news for that correction.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Edit: I read gud, ignore

Edit 2: at least in our school district weird rear end chuds who were campaigning to take over our school board lost to a doctor and someone with a PHD in early childhood development by 10,000 of 30k votes cast so it’s not a total loss but woof on the local politics in a lot of place nearby

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 14, 2022

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Excited about the Sens next season. Hyping myself up for the 4th straight season of Pierre Dorion's favourite gameshow - "Nikita Zaitsev - 1st pairing defenceman?"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

Excited about the Sens next season. Hyping myself up for the 4th straight season of Pierre Dorion's favourite gameshow - "Nikita Zaitsev - 1st pairing defenceman?"

Mendes thinks they’re still cooking up a trade for a defenseman, and the 3 they’ve been linked to are actually good for once (Chychrun, Weegar and Marino.)

It’s the Summer of Pierre, he’ll offload Zaitsev somehow

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

eXXon posted:

Just typing up a paragraph of sarcasm as an aging adult

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ottawa have made some fun trades but 'doing a lot' is not the same as making yourself into a cup contender. They've improved but without significant internal growth that only pushes them out of lottery territory. They're still several years away from being a consistent playoff team.

fisting by many posted:

As a Nucks fan it was nice to enjoy free agency peacefully for once. I'm not sure how to feel about signing Mikheyev -- price seems fine but I don't see how he fits in their roster/cap/contention window. Unless Garland is definitely gone, in which case, sure whatever.

I'm not sure that a 4x$4.75m contract is a peaceful free agency. It's a big gamble on a guy with an extremely limited NHL track record. The team now has a surplus of top 9 forwards but really only two boneafide top line forwards. They have no choice but to make a trade now (despite what they say) which puts them into the worst possible negotiating position. They'll likely have to expend an asset like Hoglander to dump a bad salary just to get under the cap.

I watched a lot of Mikheyev and while I never thought he was bad or anything he never excelled to me beyond being pretty quick. He was a perfectly serviceable depth player on a very good team. A year ago he probably gets a 2x$1.5m contract. I am always wary of guys who shoot up in value in a contract year. Even if he does well, once again the team is locked into a long term deal for a guy where the best case scenario is they mostly live up to their contract. More likely he's yet another overpaid player on a team that cannot afford any more. I'm sure he'll be fine but I'm not calling this a win and it does nothing to address the many major, glaring weaknesses this team has.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
So let's see about these Caps moves in aggregate...

Out: Samsonov, Vitek, Schultz

In: Kuemper, Lindgren, Brown, Gustafsson, Borgstrom

Goalie situation is obviously an upgrade. I haven't seen the fancies, but Gustafsson for Schultz is a slight downgrade trending towards a wash. Keeping MoJo is... fine. He's responsible defensively and the flexibility to play as center is nice. Brown is a nice addition to fill in for Wilson.

But Kuzy-Eller-McMichael-Dowd at center makes this look like a non-playoff team to me.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Taking an $18 million dollar haircut just to go to Columbus... What a weird dream.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok Charlie. Let’s go.

https://theathletic.com/3421254/2022/07/14/philadelphia-flyers-free-agency-trade-fletcher/?source=user_shared_article

"In late January, both Fletcher and Comcast Spectacor chairman and CEO Dave Scott promised that the brain trust would soon “aggressively retool” a team that had proven to be one of the worst in the NHL to that point. Scott in particular vowed that “we should be in it next year.” And while Fletcher slightly amended the promise in May, he still compared their plan to that of 2019, when the team added Kevin Hayes, Matt Niskanen and Justin Braun, moves that ultimately helped push them comfortably into a playoff spot. The message from the brass to fans was clear and unequivocal: we’re going to fix this in the near future, so expect big moves.

What did those fans get? Tony DeAngelo, an offense-first defenseman who was kicked off his second-to-last team and who stands as one of the most divisive players in the NHL. Nicolas Deslauriers, a 31-year-old enforcer who has averaged six goals a year for the past five seasons. Oh, and a now-35-year-old Braun was brought back after being traded at the deadline.

There’s your aggressive retool."

""At the very least, Gaudreau would provide a reason to show up at the Wells Fargo Center to watch what would likely still be a flawed team.

The Flyers didn’t oblige.

Truthfully, fans should have seen this outcome from a mile away. Over the past five months, Fletcher and the Flyers have been on a run seemingly tailor-made to crush the spirits of longtime Flyers fans, particularly those of the sentimental or analytically inclined variety.""

""How does a GM keep Ristolainen, hire Tortorella, trade for DeAngelo but then draw the line at clearing sufficient cap space to acquire an actual NHL superstar? The lack of consistency isn’t difficult to spot. So is it a rebuild or a retool? Fletcher was asked.

“Well, we’re retooling, Charlie,” he responded, before quickly transitioning into an explanation that sure sounded like the description of a rebuild.""

""None of the Flyers’ stated goals hold up under scrutiny. They want to be “harder to play against,” but the players they’re acquiring to do so (Ristolainen, Deslauriers, MacEwen) have historically made it significantly easier for the other team to have the puck the majority of the time. They want to be building for the future, but they’re still burning draft picks on DeAngelo with the aim of … protecting York and Ronnie Attard from tougher minutes as rookies? They want to improve now, but after an offseason that — assuming there are no more big moves looming — they didn’t improve the team much on paper, they’re banking almost entirely on the impact of their new coaching staff and a questionably constructed blue line corps to drive said improvement. Both are legitimate unknowns.

“I just want us to pick a direction,” T.J. Edwards — one of the fans who showed up at the Flyers Training Center to express his displeasure with Fletcher and the Flyers — explained after Fletcher’s availability concluded. “Are we gonna go for it? If we’re gonna go for it, then let’s go for it. If not, let’s tear it down and rebuild. The middle ground’s getting us nowhere. I’m sick and tired of this mediocrity.”"

The Flyers are gonna be so bad this season.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

So let's see about these Caps moves in aggregate...

Out: Samsonov, Vitek, Schultz

In: Kuemper, Lindgren, Brown, Gustafsson, Borgstrom

Goalie situation is obviously an upgrade. I haven't seen the fancies, but Gustafsson for Schultz is a slight downgrade trending towards a wash. Keeping MoJo is... fine. He's responsible defensively and the flexibility to play as center is nice. Brown is a nice addition to fill in for Wilson.

But Kuzy-Eller-McMichael-Dowd at center makes this look like a non-playoff team to me.

We’re still a bubble team just like last year. But unlike last year we’re not an inside bubble team looking to hang on but could easily be an outside bubble team looking to break in. We’ll ride or die on the health of our aging core once again, pray that Oshie can hold up over 82 games. But yeah I’m not feeling as confident this year as I was at this point last year.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

CBJSprague24 posted:

As much as he was a boat anchor of a player, David Clarkson settled in UA and became their local high school's hockey coach. players really do seem to want to stay here once they get here. Bob used to walk home after games (with a security guard tailing him to be safe), but he and Panarin have mentioned they could talk walks with their wives or whatever and mostly be left alone, and still get all the attention they could want for hockey events.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hope there isn't a dumb team that needs to dump an all star and the Devils can't do it now because of this overpay for Palat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues also signed Thomas Greiss and Noel Acciardi or whatever the gently caress his name is. Aside from extending Robert Thomas, a bad day for Doug Armstrong