Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I HAVE FOUND MY GUN

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I don't know who this Harry guy is that you're all talking about, it's Raphael Ambrosius Coustreau

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Propaganda Machine posted:

I completely avoided the mirror on my second playthrough for that reason.

Does it get commented upon at the end?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

If that's the case, it's not as unforgiving as that. Mr. Evrart is nothing if not a good friend who just wants to help you out

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I know The City and The City has been brought up multiple times as having a DE vibe, but I just started it and it's so good. Thanks thread for the recommendation

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

roomtwofifteen posted:

I know The City and The City has been brought up multiple times as having a DE vibe, but I just started it and it's so good. Thanks thread for the recommendation

China Mieville fits at least three copotypes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
from the Star Citizen thread:

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

How about make a tutorial? Oh wait- they can't do that either. The tutorial that exists now tells you how to throw grenades and silently kill people while you're waking up in your hotel room in a non-combat area.

Kavros posted:

PRIMITIVE REPTILIAN BRAIN: Oh, yes. You feel a stirring. You're getting ready to wake up, from the way you always sleep, inexplicably atop your covers -- in a whole-rear end spacesuit.

1. My room's cold. And everyone says it's got no atmosphere. These are necessary precautions.
2. Oh god, imagine how I smell by now. I've been vacuum-sealed into my own sweat for the past eight hours.
> 3. I call them my ispace-pajamas.

PRIMITIVE REPTILIAN BRAIN: Now, remember, once you wake up, Grenades. You can throw grenades with X.

> 1. Isn't that a bit .. excessive?

LIMBIC SYSTEM: Sneak up behind enemy combatants and execute a melee takedown with F.

> 1. That's great and all, but what's the button combo to make breakfast, or ... literally any other normal human thing?
2. The coffee machine won't know what hit it.
3. I'm starting to understand why I never get a security deposit back.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

wizard2 posted:

Does it get commented upon at the end?

No, and I also got nothing special for keeping the necktie on the whole time :mad:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Propaganda Machine posted:

No, and I also got nothing special for keeping the necktie on the whole time :mad:

:mad:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

roomtwofifteen posted:

that reminds me of this

quote:

RPS: That’s interesting...have you read the City and the City? Was that an inspiration?

Kurvitz: I have, I get that... It’s not an inspiration, no. Well, I’m a shockingly left-wing person, and so is China Mieville, so we have that in common, and we have a similar take on science fiction, too. But I started developing this world and these concepts when I was 15, and I published a novel set in it in 2013. Yeah, China Mieville got there with some slipstream ideas first, but I had no idea he existed!

I’ve read his stuff now, and when I read his stuff I think… This is a really bad career move right now, I understand I’m taking to a journalist, but I think… “Yeah, I’m way better than this”.

RPS: Ohoohohoo!

Kurvitz: (laughs) Yeah, I like his ideas with slipstream, though I don’t like the name “slipstream”. I like his approach to genre stuff, and there are a lot of similarities here. But ours is a complete otherworld, it’s hermetically sealed off, it’s like Lord of the Rings. We’re deep, deep geeks, this isn’t meant for people to go over and go “hnnnngr, what very interesting genre bending”. This is just D&D nerds who wanted to have a telephone in the game.

At the same time, personally I come from soviet science fiction authors, the Strugatsky brothers kind of stuff, who also do a lot of reality bending. I am aware of China Mieville though, yeah.

Jesus gently caress, did I just say in an interview that I’m better than China Mieville? Oh gently caress it, let’s go with it, whatever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's right. Mievelle is a hack

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I've only read Perdido Street Station of his, but he was just a little too happy with writing in and describing horrible poo poo that didn't actually improve the story, I'm inclined to agree there. Maybe his other work is better. I don't know and likely won't be finding out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gaius Marius posted:

He's right. Mievelle is a hack

https://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdLit/comments/rgau9t/where_is_china_mieville/hor1z38/

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
China Mieville didn't come up with Cuno so I don't see the problem

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I avoid any media that nobody has anything much to say in favor of except "vibe" thanks to decades of depression leaving me incapable of engaging with something on those terms. Whenever I hear "vibe" I translate it to "tedious" and generally speaking people who like it aren't willing to also admit the genre is exactly that. Which is fine on its own, just not for me.

I get plenty of good weird stuff from my even more niche and weird literature preference - combloc sci-fi

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
On day four and blew the case wide open in the hotel, running upstairs and downstairs for something like six hours just solving poo poo, and I was like "alright we're in the endgame now time to get this done" only to be immediately caught up arguing with youths the second I stepped outside and now long story short I'm wearing an extremely cool jacket with a slur on it

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

oh goddammit

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Never believe in anyone, as a general rule.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I read this when it was first published and the phrase “taut-skinned doe” still gives me douche chills

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Olay so I can't tell if I just hosed up really bad or if things went as well as I could expect. Here's how the confrontation with the mercenaries went:

I put myself between the mercenaries and Hardie's boys, then talked to Korty until I could shoot him in the face. I took a shot from the masked one which bounced off my cuirass, then took a shot from Korty and blacked out, staying conscious just long enough to warn Kim who killed the other two mercenaries but not before they killed three of Hardie's boys.

I can't help but wonder what I could have done differently or found to avoid it, since I didn't really have enough evidence to steer them in a different direction. I wanted to get to the island but the game seemed to make it pretty clear that wouldn't happen until later. Maybe not getting so overtly tricked by Klaasje would have helped?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wolfsheim posted:

Olay so I can't tell if I just hosed up really bad or if things went as well as I could expect. Here's how the confrontation with the mercenaries went:

I put myself between the mercenaries and Hardie's boys, then talked to Korty until I could shoot him in the face. I took a shot from the masked one which bounced off my cuirass, then took a shot from Korty and blacked out, staying conscious just long enough to warn Kim who killed the other two mercenaries but not before they killed three of Hardie's boys.

I can't help but wonder what I could have done differently or found to avoid it, since I didn't really have enough evidence to steer them in a different direction. I wanted to get to the island but the game seemed to make it pretty clear that wouldn't happen until later. Maybe not getting so overtly tricked by Klaasje would have helped?

that's about as good an outcome as you can get IIRC

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

This is the best outcome. Some losses are inevitable.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Glad to know I'm merely an agent of fate, merely playing a role....

Now to find that goddamn helmet

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Khizan posted:

This is the best outcome. Some losses are inevitable.

The best outcome has more necktie but this is still second best

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

Never believe in anyone, as a general rule.

I believe in Contact Mike

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, buddy, pal, don't look at my playthrough how many people I got killed.

Or am killing this run to make Cuno be all he can be

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Glad to know I'm merely an agent of fate, merely playing a role....

Now to find that goddamn helmet

Oh no, your choices really mattered. That could have been much worse.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So as great as the tribunal is, this might be the part of it where the 'game as medium' is at it's weakest.

From Harry's perspective, he's likely going to wonder for the rest of his life whether there was something he could have done differently to prevent the deaths that take place, and he's never going to know the answer, and he's going to have to carry that poo poo and live with it. If this had been a well-written book or movie the audience would be in the same uncertainty. But we as players get to replay, ask others who played or dig into the code to know for a certainty that we "got the best possible outcome".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can just not

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My Harry stopped thinking about all that the moment he met the phasmid. That’s old poo poo now

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gaius Marius posted:

You can just not

so you only played through DE once then?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im pretty sure my Harrier forgot all about that instantly because there was a case to solve and that wasn't it

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

"how could I have handled that shootout better" is going to have to get in line behind a great number of other uhh sub-optimal decisions Harry has made recently. Into that line feeds an indistinct but seemingly infinite number of other terrible decisions he's made but is not fully aware of at this time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Orange Devil posted:

So as great as the tribunal is, this might be the part of it where the 'game as medium' is at it's weakest.

From Harry's perspective, he's likely going to wonder for the rest of his life whether there was something he could have done differently to prevent the deaths that take place, and he's never going to know the answer, and he's going to have to carry that poo poo and live with it. If this had been a well-written book or movie the audience would be in the same uncertainty. But we as players get to replay, ask others who played or dig into the code to know for a certainty that we "got the best possible outcome".

I actually think that adds to the story in a way. The *player* can have peace of mind while also knowing that the character doesn't. Which lets the player realize: hey, maybe I've also done the best I could have sometimes?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I actually think that adds to the story in a way. The *player* can have peace of mind while also knowing that the character doesn't. Which lets the player realize: hey, maybe I've also done the best I could have sometimes?

Came to say basically the same thing, but this sums it up better than I could’ve. Being able to retry/get different results is a strength of the medium, not a weakness.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Orange Devil posted:

Nah, having a certain level of inevitable violence baked into the scenario is a strength of the game's writing. The game takes great pains to establish that individual actions and beliefs are, in and of themselves, very limited in how much they affect things. It would be disingenuous to leave the reader/player with a sense that they could have steered events completely away from a violent outcome. The class contradictions in Revachol were deepening for decades, and the spark was lit before we got there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

No, Harry is going to think about his wife leaving him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Honestly the reason I assumed I hosed it up is because Kim said we did, and up until then he'd pretty much been the voice of reason regarding how well things could possibly be going

But it's not like he's omniscient and I assume the act of killing two people probably weighs pretty heavily on him

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 15, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the fuckup is letting a heavily armed death squad infiltrate the neighborhood and then just kinda watching as they set up for a mass killing, not everything that happened once they got all ready and started murdering people, which went about as well as it reasonably could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thought Cabinet question from a newbie - I see there are way more thoughts than possible slots - should I just start forgetting and learning new thoughts as I fill up? There are so many that if I do this it feels like I'll basically never have any skill points to level up my skills.