Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/chibike/comments/vwpdo0/police_use_car_to_knock_over_a_teenage_bicyclist/

Watch out for cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

idgi is there a funny car thing that sticks out to a driver?

here's one from the 90s. see if you can notice any differences

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I saw what was apparently a new BMW 740i and what the gently caress

why is there a splat grill arms race

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

here's one from the 90s. see if you can notice any differences

It's the same picture

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zerg Mans posted:

Gotta make the cars look angrymasculine

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like a car to me.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

withak posted:

Looks like a car to me.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zerg Mans posted:

The two big growth markets for upmarket/luxury big sedan cars - especially German ones - are China and the Middle East. Both favour very large and ostentatious grilles as a symbol of status and because big grille = expensive car = rich driver. Back when BMWs were designed primarily for the European market their big selling point was that they were subtle and discrete. Now it's a race to produce what basically amounts to the first "radiator grille...now with four wheels and a car fitted as standard!"

The Chinese market also has an expectation that truly rich car owners will have a driver to actually drive the car while they sit in the back, so sales of upmarket European cars have favoured extended-wheelbase versions with more rear legroom...to the extent that even people who can't afford a driver go for the extended model because that's the prestigious one...so now you often find that the standard BMW on sale in China is what is sold as the long version in Europe, while the Chinese market also gets an extra-long wheelbase version so buyers with chauffeurs can still stand out from the crowd. It's a contest to see who can put the most superfluous rear legroom into a car or massive SUV with a huge grille on the front.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that all sounds very stupid, i think we should just outlaw cars

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

china allowing the proliferation of cars is one of the main things that make me really doubt their vision of the future

mystes
May 31, 2006

the bitcoin of weed posted:

china allowing the proliferation of cars is one of the main things that make me really doubt their vision of the future
It's kind of surprising that none of the more authoritarian countries, even ones who claim not to want to be exactly the same as the us, have just outright banned cars, but I guess they usually have a big class of wealthy people who need to be rewarded with fun toys.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BalloonFish posted:

The two big growth markets for upmarket/luxury big sedan cars - especially German ones - are China and the Middle East. Both favour very large and ostentatious grilles as a symbol of status and because big grille = expensive car = rich driver. Back when BMWs were designed primarily for the European market their big selling point was that they were subtle and discrete. Now it's a race to produce what basically amounts to the first "radiator grille...now with four wheels and a car fitted as standard!"

The Chinese market also has an expectation that truly rich car owners will have a driver to actually drive the car while they sit in the back, so sales of upmarket European cars have favoured extended-wheelbase versions with more rear legroom...to the extent that even people who can't afford a driver go for the extended model because that's the prestigious one...so now you often find that the standard BMW on sale in China is what is sold as the long version in Europe, while the Chinese market also gets an extra-long wheelbase version so buyers with chauffeurs can still stand out from the crowd. It's a contest to see who can put the most superfluous rear legroom into a car or massive SUV with a huge grille on the front.

“people who aren’t white are ruining my beautiful German cars :qq:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's been really interesting seeing how fast anti-car sentiment has spread over the past year.

https://twitter.com/fallonhewitt_/status/1546851515280801793

loving never because the spectator is a pissrag owned by chatham asset management (like almost all kkkanadian media)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

It's kind of surprising that none of the more authoritarian countries, even ones who claim not to want to be exactly the same as the us, have just outright banned cars, but I guess they usually have a big class of wealthy people who need to be rewarded with fun toys.

yeah man that would be epic

sim
Sep 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/stefandraschan/status/1545313465887244288

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

rip

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The chinese know they can't allow a car gap. Trust me, they know what they're doing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
37 chinese factory workers piling out of an extended cab bmw, smoking cigars and eating caviar before hammering steel pylons into the earth at the funco pop factory

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT6kblEmGGc

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

they wont ever ban cars, they will make them more expensive so thar naturally only the rich can have them. this sucks as cars are still around, but there will be fewer of them so its a conundrum.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
then u just gotta ban rich people BING BONG

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://citymonitor.ai/community/neighbourhoods/google-maps-local-traffic

the video in there is cool, except at the end when he talks about public-private collaboration instead of saying anything about reducing car usage

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

speaking of american, with the 4th falling on a Monday it looks like we have ourselves a 3 day weekend of drinking and driving. I recommend getting off the streets before like 6pm unless you want to be victimized by some drunk gently caress piece of poo poo
good news! that wasn't enough for my friend. drunk driver plowed through their bedroom after going through the power pole, taking out power to the whole neighborhood. and I do mean through the bedroom, front bumper in the hallway. then they fled, leaving their passenger trapped.

nobody was injured, thankfully, they hadn't gone to bed yet. the bed that was underneath the truck.

also good news, no charges because the driver hid long enough the cops didn't bother with a breathalyzer. not that it matters, of course. everything is legal in car.

can't wait for them to get sued for the damage done to truk, because one of these things matters in america and nothing else does.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXblFO4_YQY

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol the cops were out in town today ticketing cyclists for riding without helmets and not getting off their bikes to cross at pedestrian crossings

Yet to see any evidence of hospitalisations caused by cyclists in this city

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
El Pollo, wtf is wrong with your city? Is this because of that deranged city councilman? What city is this?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

☝️

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

37 chinese factory workers piling out of an extended cab bmw, smoking cigars and eating caviar before hammering steel pylons into the earth at the funco pop factory

Honestly a beautiful mental image.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Harik posted:

good news! that wasn't enough for my friend. drunk driver plowed through their bedroom after going through the power pole, taking out power to the whole neighborhood. and I do mean through the bedroom, front bumper in the hallway. then they fled, leaving their passenger trapped.

nobody was injured, thankfully, they hadn't gone to bed yet. the bed that was underneath the truck.

also good news, no charges because the driver hid long enough the cops didn't bother with a breathalyzer. not that it matters, of course. everything is legal in car.

can't wait for them to get sued for the damage done to truk, because one of these things matters in america and nothing else does.

should at least count as a felony home invasion

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol the cops were out in town today ticketing cyclists for riding without helmets and not getting off their bikes to cross at pedestrian crossings

Yet to see any evidence of hospitalisations caused by cyclists in this city

where was this?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
In Wellington on lambton quay. I suspect there are a lot of complaints about cyclists at the moment as more and more people get e-bikes

Yesterday I saw a cyclist getting driven off the road, and saw a post on a local cycling page about bus driver nearly running down two cyclists in a bus lane because he thought cyclists weren't allowed in bus lanes (they are) lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

In Wellington on lambton quay. I suspect there are a lot of complaints about cyclists at the moment as more and more people get e-bikes

Yesterday I saw a cyclist getting driven off the road, and saw a post on a local cycling page about bus driver nearly running down two cyclists in a bus lane because he thought cyclists weren't allowed in bus lanes (they are) lol
(Runs over cyclist) see! Cycling is dangerous!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Harik posted:

lol the driver was probably a fuckin cop

off-dooty cop here ran a red light and t-boned a car at a double T intersection and did the same poo poo, disappeared until it was too late to run a breathalyzer

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

they wont ever ban cars, they will make them more expensive so thar naturally only the rich can have them. this sucks as cars are still around, but there will be fewer of them so its a conundrum.

We're getting that here now, with the bonus of never reorienting our society to allow people to live without them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

https://citymonitor.ai/community/neighbourhoods/google-maps-local-traffic

the video in there is cool, except at the end when he talks about public-private collaboration instead of saying anything about reducing car usage

Really cool how Google Maps is just loving killing people, and nobody is doing anything about it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Just did ~200 miles from Western MA to NYC on my bike and the suburb people every mile of the way on numbered roads were completely psychotic. Anything connecting a suburb to a walmart, no matter how rural it seemed, had at least 25% of the drivers acting like reckless assholes. It didn't matter if I was all the way over on the shoulder (which was never more than 18 inches wide) or a few feet into the road for maximum visibility, sometimes 4 or 5 cars would pass from about 3 feet at 50-60mph all at the same time because they were tailgating one another. Absolutely loving terrifying. I don't think I will ever do a bike tour that goes along numbered roads again. I don't care if it takes twice as long and only goes on dirt, it was a miserable experience. The last time I did this was in 2015 and mostly avoided those kinds of roads and it was a lot easier. The next long ride will go directly north into Vermont because it seems like anything 100 miles inland is totally infested with drivers like this.

Once I got to the rail trails I was able to do 30 miles more riding each day, easily, because I wasn't experiencing constant spikes in my heart rate from getting buzzed by some rear end in a top hat in a rush to get their amazon packages.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
And of course the most I typically ever saw in the bed of a giant pick up truck was a single 2x4

larper
Apr 9, 2019

actionjackson posted:

bad: filled up ten gallons at 5.19/gallon

good: it was on my way to pick up this single speed bike off craigslist

cool looking whip. get a different stem though, adjustables look like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

larper posted:

Just did ~200 miles from Western MA to NYC on my bike and the suburb people every mile of the way on numbered roads were completely psychotic. Anything connecting a suburb to a walmart, no matter how rural it seemed, had at least 25% of the drivers acting like reckless assholes. It didn't matter if I was all the way over on the shoulder (which was never more than 18 inches wide) or a few feet into the road for maximum visibility, sometimes 4 or 5 cars would pass from about 3 feet at 50-60mph all at the same time because they were tailgating one another. Absolutely loving terrifying. I don't think I will ever do a bike tour that goes along numbered roads again. I don't care if it takes twice as long and only goes on dirt, it was a miserable experience. The last time I did this was in 2015 and mostly avoided those kinds of roads and it was a lot easier. The next long ride will go directly north into Vermont because it seems like anything 100 miles inland is totally infested with drivers like this.

Once I got to the rail trails I was able to do 30 miles more riding each day, easily, because I wasn't experiencing constant spikes in my heart rate from getting buzzed by some rear end in a top hat in a rush to get their amazon packages.

I quit riding on roads here, period, when we had to take a bypass road around the Montour Trail and two people actively tried to run us over and screamed poo poo at us in the course of twenty minutes. One of them, a Jeep driver (always a Jeep driver) flew up behind my wife at top speed, slammed the brakes a few feet from her, and leaned on the horn. Had my wife been startled and fallen she'd have certainly been run over.