Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i switched from android to iphone like 6 years ago and had no problem

a friend of mine just switched and switched back to android because he did not like the lack of a back button and thought the "swipe up to see all active apps" was too slow compared to whatever you do on an android to get to that screen. he also bought the maxxx sized iphone so he had trouble physically reaching the top left back button. his other complaint was that his previous android phone had an always on screen showing the time, which i think ios is getting at some point? but he also wears a watch so idk why that was even an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

did they fix the android back button then, as it always used to be a coin toss as to what it was going to do. go back a page in an app? go back to another app? never had an issue with the iOS way of doing things personally.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

EL BROMANCE posted:

did they fix the android back button then, as it always used to be a coin toss as to what it was going to do. go back a page in an app? go back to another app? never had an issue with the iOS way of doing things personally.

tbh no. It's usually pretty intuitive though. Click a twitter link from the Awful app? You'll probably end up in the Awful app if you hit it. The iPhone one is more consistent in behaviour (back a page in an app, never between apps) but not in availability since it's not implemented in all apps afaik?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

Those of you who have made the Android -> iPhone journey - were there any things that iOS does that you absolutely hate?

Notifications seem a bit weird compared to Android when I tried my wife's old XR for a while, and the lack of a global swipe-to-go-back gesture kind of sucks. Though all the ecosystem integration stuff between mac/phone/watch looks like it owns.

swipe to go back exists, and while it's technically not universal, it's used in like 99% of apps. it won't go to a previous app if an app took you to another if that's what you're after. there's a separate gesture for that

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
tbh the main thing I prefer about Android's "back" gesture is that it works from either the left or right edge inwards. Holding the phone right handed and reaching over to the left is awkward.

e: tho lol probs not on a 6.1 inch phone instead of 6.7

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 9, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love the back button. i also ahve the s21 bigphone and the size was annoying at first but ive grown to like it :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

disclaimer: i get paid big bux to write andriod apps so i use the phone to keep up with it. i don't really have any complaints about the iphone they're fine phones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the android awful app has built in imgur upload, does the iOS one? it's really nice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

the android awful app has built in imgur upload, does the iOS one? it's really nice

it does but the api gets overloaded or whatever so your chances of it actually working is not great!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the android app is way better for searching smilies and automatically posting images locally via Imgur. maybe I have a hosed up build for iOS or something but finding smilies and poasting images is much more of a pain

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
the iOS keyboard emote thing was a cool idea, but the apis suck and it’s such a pain to maintain. I have a feeling they haven’t touched it since implementing it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Endless Mike posted:

it does but the api gets overloaded or whatever so your chances of it actually working is not great!

works on my machine :smugdog:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Those of you who have made the Android -> iPhone journey - were there any things that iOS does that you absolutely hate?

Notifications seem a bit weird compared to Android when I tried my wife's old XR for a while, and the lack of a global swipe-to-go-back gesture kind of sucks. Though all the ecosystem integration stuff between mac/phone/watch looks like it owns.

it's a pain in the rear end to turn radios off on ios. android you could power them off from the pull down menu but ios forces you into the settings to toggle power. gps is buried even farther down.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
have they allowed you to sideload apps and/or manage files and data like an actual storage device and not require you to use itunes for everything still

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Midjack posted:

it's a pain in the rear end to turn radios off on ios. android you could power them off from the pull down menu but ios forces you into the settings to toggle power. gps is buried even farther down.

i'm not a fan of the "disconnect from local networks" thing they're doing on ios at all. to that end i use siri to dive into the radio toggle menus since it's usually quicker than tapping through settings

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Surprise T Rex posted:

the learning curve was real, but not horrible. I have no regrets about moving over. here’s three similar concerns I had and where I am now:

Surprise T Rex posted:

Notifications seem a bit weird compared to Android when I tried my wife's old XR for a while, and the lack of a global swipe-to-go-back gesture kind of sucks.

i realized notifications are largely overrated, which I would not have believed 4 years ago. important things can create persistent banners to make sure you don’t miss them

Midjack posted:

i had a heroic amount of Tasker stuff set up to manage my wifi/mobile data and now I just don’t bother. the phone has enough battery and doesn’t burn half of it shouting at cell towers it can’t quite reach

Zamujasa posted:

manage files and data like an actual storage device and not require you to use itunes for everything still

this exists in the files app, but the only regular workflow I have that even needs this is moving gpx files from the good tracing app into the uploading to openstreetmap app

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

LibCrusher posted:

did you guys know you can use awful.app to watch YouTube with no ads and have the window float so you can watch while u post, tweet, etc?

1. copy YouTube link
2. start new reply in awful
3. paste link
4. tap preview
5. play video in preview
6. home button/swipe
now the vid is playing as its own video window!
7. open awful, swipe down your post preview

now you can browse forums or go to twitter or check your stocks or whatever while a YouTube plays !

you can use the vinegar safari extension from the app store to block all youtube ads in safari directly

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mod saas posted:

this exists in the files app, but the only regular workflow I have that even needs this is moving gpx files from the good tracing app into the uploading to openstreetmap app

mostly in the sense of being able to just copy photos + downloaded files off of it, plus copying new music in weird archaic formats like nsf and gbs and mod

honestly probably one of the bigger things i like about the android is that it has multiple buttons instead of dumb gestures everywhere

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
See as soon as they gave me the option to hide the bottom buttons and use gesture navigation instead I jumped on it and can't use an Android the old way anymore so I think iOS gesture stuff will be fine for me - learning period notwithstanding.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

you can use the vinegar safari extension from the app store to block all youtube ads in safari directly

it's a bit finicky with all the quality settings being exposed for streams which i chalk up to youtube being a moving target for extensions, but yeah it's solid for removing ads and background playing

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
lol @ janitoring your phone and putting up with that poo poo. i pay for it and don't have to see ads or gently caress with anything it just works

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I remember the heady days of janitoring my phone and flashing new CyanogenMOD ROMs constantly as a bored 21 year old with unlimited free time to pErFecTlY oPtIMiSe mY dEvICe and strip out whatever HTC bloatware poo poo but lol gently caress that now I'm 33 I've got a wife and a job just gimme a thing that lets me shitpost on the go and stay in touch with the 8 people I care about.

Multi-iPhone integration stuff sounds pretty good too for linking up with my wife's iPhone, having stuff like Find My linking up each other's phones, soon-to-come family iCloud photo album sharing all just built in sounds great. I know all this stuff exists in some capacity with Google Maps sharing location and Google Photos sharing photo albums and stuff but it just feels less "together" or something? Like it exists but with extra steps.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

butt dickus posted:

lol @ janitoring your phone and putting up with that poo poo. i pay for it and don't have to see ads or gently caress with anything it just works

as far as janitoring it, it was $2 or something and runs untouched. i like to set audio-only sometimes and noticed the quirk, which the creator fixed shortly after

it basically turns a youtube video (or any video, with the creator's other extension) into a regular html5 video element. anything else is icing on the native controls cake

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

butt dickus posted:

it’s part of my personal brand to hate google so i refuse to give them money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just use adguard dns and youtube doesn't have any ads

i was lucky enough to get adguard pro for $5 when it was just a license and not a subscription, it's real great on both android and ios

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1541523583347720193?s=20&t=9_0pEBNUD5SsUpx6Cl6foA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

another one of those things it's not possible to write a joke about because google does it worse than any parody would

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the dumbest part is they didn't need to "kill" anything as the services were compatible with what replaced them. my gchat conversations all appeared in hangouts when i installed that and now my hangouts conversations are in chat. you could even message someone if they were on the new/old client compared to you

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
are you implying that google could have just picked a Brand Name and iterated on it instead of doing what they chose to do instead?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

are you implying that google could have just picked a Brand Name and iterated on it instead of doing what they chose to do instead?

simply iterating on an existing product doth not a promo packet make

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

simply iterating on an existing product doth not a promo packet make

nobody gets promoted for fixing bugs. you get promoted by shipping new things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

a friend of mine just switched and switched back to android because he did not like the lack of a back button

Your friend probably actually just fell on hard times and wanted an excuse for why he was switching back to the poorphone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just found out Google killed google bookmarks last year when I went to find a link to an old SA thread. what a piece of poo poo company

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Your friend probably actually just fell on hard times and wanted an excuse for why he was switching back to the poorphone

nah his company reimbursed him up to $1k for a phone which is why he tried the iphone pro maxx to begin with. he just has bad taste and was looking for excuses to not like an apple product. his main complaints were no back button and that the screen goes black when it's locked vs staying on so he can see the clock(s)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

so poor he can't afford a nice watch and has to use an android to tell the time, very sad

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

so poor he can't afford a nice watch and has to use an android to tell the time, very sad

he actually used, and i kid you not, a calculator watch (and now an lol sarnsung watch or something). like i said, bad taste

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I just keep both a latest pixel and iPhone and switch back and forth when bored lol. as long you don't use icloud for cloud storage it's as simple as turning one off and the other on.
also didn't know samsung still had a back button?? as the gestures on my 13 and p 6 are the same

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Celexi posted:

I just keep both a latest pixel and iPhone and switch back and forth when bored lol. as long you don't use icloud for cloud storage it's as simple as turning one off and the other on.

lol what

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anroid users: just have the latest and greatest model of non-anroid phone always on standby when you get tired of your piece of poo poo phone being a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
awful.app is that bad!!