Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What's it like posting from whatever era housing doesn't take up 65% of your monthly income?

I know I'm the exception. We live in butt gently caress nowhere and our mortgage is only about 7-8% of our take home income. And while we're doing well, we dont even make that much money (no, seriously), its just that its so cheap to live here. But I just saw earlier a 4br house for rent that would be more like ~25% of our income and I thought that was expensive for the area.

We have a growing population crisis, and its warranted. At the same time, for anyone who already has some money or is able to continue bringing in a half decent living, and is fuckin done with the hustle and bustle of the city, its a great place to be (until winter comes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

morestuff posted:

Not an option given my layout and downstairs neighbors.

As a proud new A80J owner, just get a decent pair of wireless headphones, it rocks. I've got a cheap lovely pair of wireless headphones but it's so easy pairing them to the TV and I can watch in total comfort and hear everything as loud as I want without worrying about being a nuisance to neighbours.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Qubee posted:

As a proud new A80J owner, just get a decent pair of wireless headphones, it rocks. I've got a cheap lovely pair of wireless headphones but it's so easy pairing them to the TV and I can watch in total comfort and hear everything as loud as I want without worrying about being a nuisance to neighbours.

Yeah, I've got a long cord so I can use my fancy Sennheisers

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

codo27 posted:

We have a growing population crisis
Veering wildly from the topic of the thread, but it's pretty important to call out that it's not a "population" crisis (a problem with people), so much as a "housing" crisis (a problem with insufficient construction of new homes where people want to live). The policy changes to fix the latter are extremely obvious and benign, but hooboy have I seen some scary poo poo from folks who frame the problem as the former.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Middle Eastern country I live in at the moment is purposefully creating scarcity in the housing market to keep rent prices inflated. New housing gets built at a snail's pace because this tiny country has an extremely powerful merchant class that pull strings to keep their pockets lined. It's all very much depressing, knowing I've got no chance in hell of ever owning a home. Instead, I'm paying my hard earned cash each month to fill a landlord's pockets.

But I am at least drowning my sorrows and keeping the depression at bay by making a small little oasis of calm and tranquility for myself in the form of this new TV.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

morestuff posted:

Pulled the trigger on an A80J — anyone have any experience using the built-in speakers? Wouldn't mind ditching my soundbar so I can use the legs in low-profile mode

This is exactly what I did. I have a 360W soundbar/sub but haven't even bothered hooking them up. I'd give it a shot in low profile mode (it's how the legs are setup by default if you just slide em in according to instructions) and if they aren't good enough, you can simply remove the legs and reattach them so that the TV sits higher and has room for your soundbar. I am in an apartment complex with 4 neighbors surrounding me, so it isn't like I ever turn the volume up past ~22 anyway. It was a necessity with the KDL55W950B to be able to hear dialogue clearly, but it hasn't been necessary with the A80J.

If you have ever stood next to a pair of large speakers at a low volume, it is similar to the A80J speakers. There are only three 10W drivers in there, but because it is using the entire screen, it has an impressive... Presence?

My only complaint regarding sound is that the default sound profile is fairly flat. Cinema has been the best profile, imo, for movies, TV shows, and games. I can't find a single form of media where the default profile sounds better than cinema.

If you wind up using bluetooth headphones, there's of course a handy sync feature to change the a/v delay so that latency isn't ever an issue with TV/movies. It will probably not work well for games, though, because it would insert too much of a delay and make controls feel quite sluggish.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 14, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Great to hear, appreciate it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm setting up my new TV and I'm having an input issue

I have an a/v receiver that I plug all my consoles and stuff into, and it has an HDMI out that goes into the TV. It has a 4K HDMI input and I plugged my PS5 into that

The TV has 4 HDMI inputs, one of which is labeled 4K so I plugged the HDMI cable from the receiver into it before turning on the TV

During setup, the TV told me that in order to have audio, I needed to plug the HDMI cable into another input on the TV, but that input is labeled eArc and I don't know what that is

Anyway, I have audio but I'm not 100% sure I'm getting full 4K on the TV. I was playing around with the video settings on my PS5 and it says the output resolution is 3849x2160 60Hz. I'm pretty sure I should be getting 120Hz

Another confusing thing is that under the HDR setting, it says "supported", but underneath that it says "4K HDR not supported". That doesn't seem right

Can anyone offer any advice? The picture quality in the current state is fine but I really want to max this thing out

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

What's the model of your a/v receiver? My guess it is doesn't have HDMI 2.1 for 4k/120. If it does support 4k/120, are you sure you're using 48 Gbps HDMI cables? If 4k@60 is saturating your HDMI 2.0 or older A/V port/older HDMI cables, it might not have enough bandwidth to do HDR color data + 4k @ 60 simultaneously, which is why you're seeing HDR not supported.

Regarding res: 3840x2160 or thereabouts is what you'd see. A lot of the 4k TVs will also support 4096x2160, but only at 60 Hz. You are infinitely better off doing 3840x2160@120.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 15, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bloodplay it again posted:

What's the model of your a/v receiver? My guess it is doesn't have HDMI 2.1 for 4k/120. If it does support 4k/120, are you sure you're using 48 Gbps HDMI cables? If 4k@60 is saturating your HDMI 2.0 or older A/V port/older HDMI cables, it might not have enough bandwidth to do HDR color data + 4k @ 60 simultaneously, which is why you're seeing HDR not supported.

Regarding res: 3840x2160 or thereabouts is what you'd see. A lot of the 4k TVs will also support 4096x2160, but only at 60 Hz. You are infinitely better off doing 3840x2160@120.

I'll check the receiver model but it's only like 3 years old. I also have no idea what type of HDMI cable I'm using. I thought they were all the same. I guess they're cheap on monoprice so I'll order one

Thanks for the response btw

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'll check the receiver model but it's only like 3 years old. I also have no idea what type of HDMI cable I'm using. I thought they were all the same. I guess they're cheap on monoprice so I'll order one

You could see which of the cables are 48 Gbps by connecting your PS5 directly to one of the TV's HDMI 2.1 ports and checking for 3840x2160@120 Hz support. The one that came with the console may very well be 48 Gbps, but I don't know. Every cable that kicks back 4k@60 is < 48 Gbps. If your receiver is three years old, there's no chance it has HDMI 2.1 ports that support 4k@120 Hz, so you would need to connect the console directly to the TV to test the cables or play 4k@120. Even if you had all 48 Gbps cables, the a/v receiver's ports only support 24 Gbps at most, so you'd never get the 4k@120 signal to the TV.

Monoprice had an ETA date of early September when I looked a couple weeks back for some 48 Gbps HDMI cables, so I wound up buying a 10' onn-branded cable from Walmart for about $15. I didn't actually believe the packaging in its bandwidth claims and expected to have to return it, but it hasn't given me any issues. Besides, you know, the California prop 65 warning that lists something like 6 or 7 carcinogens. I keep telling myself it's all in the interior solder... :yikes:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you bought your receiver 3 years ago it definitely won't be HDMI 2.1, they only started becoming available within the past year. For now you'll have to plug your 4k120/HDR stuff directly into the tv (probably with new 48Gbps cables) and then run hdmi from the earc on the tv to the tv audio port on your current receiver. If you have a bunch of sources, anything that doesn't need to do 4k120 can still go into the receiver and should work fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I saw a Costco today that had the 65A1 on obvious closeout for $999... I don't need it...

(already have a 65C1 for my living room but the 65A1 would make a fantastic basement tv for treadmill use, just video)

Enos Cabell posted:

If you bought your receiver 3 years ago it definitely won't be HDMI 2.1, they only started becoming available within the past year. For now you'll have to plug your 4k120/HDR stuff directly into the tv (probably with new 48Gbps cables) and then run hdmi from the earc on the tv to the tv audio port on your current receiver. If you have a bunch of sources, anything that doesn't need to do 4k120 can still go into the receiver and should work fine.

Also a ton of the early HDMI 2.1-capable stuff used a broken chipset from panasonic or something and it basically can't saturate the LG OLEDs right? (pretty much the only HDMI 2.1 anyone really cares about tbh... other than the "HDMI 2.1 4K60" bullshit. Like actually the only ones worth buying just came out very recently.

Crutchfield's picker is fantastic and in the listings for each item they narrow in on exactly how many ports have what capabilities.

(edit: you know what gently caress these links though, yikes, did they put bbcode in the url?)

code:
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?fa=1&o=p#&nvpair=FF8K_HDMI_Inputs|[rank1]Yes&nvpair=AG_Next@gen_Gaming_Features|FF4K/120Hz%20HDMI%20Inputs
When I looked at this a few months ago (didn't end up buying) the Denon AVR-X1700H and Onkyo TX-NR6100 looked like obvious value for money there, maybe the TX-NR7100 at the high end (DTS/dolby decode, RS232 control, all inputs except the front panel are 4K120 and both outputs are 4K120, etc). The Denon S-whatever series were older and the capabilities of even the mid/high range were outclassed by the AVR-X1700H and the Onkyos.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 15, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

dc3k posted:

Sigh, I think I need to get on this 65" C1 train now. Sale at Visions for $2200 (CAD) ends today. Everywhere else is sitting at around $2500 or going out of stock. I was hoping to snag one for closer to $2000, and also not for another month-ish when I move, but I don't think that's feasible now.

Upgrading from a Vizio M60-C3. Hoping it'll be bright enough to not be so annoying to watch when the sun is up (condo has a fuckload of windows. New condo will be even brighter). Currently any night time scene in a show is nearly impossible to see.

Anyone in Canada see lower prices anywhere else? I'm watching Best Buy, Costco, Gibby's, Newegg, Source, Brick, and Newegg right now.

Dammit, turns out this $2200 was for open box. It's $2500 everywhere.

So now my conundrum becomes C1 vs A80J.

The specs of these two are so similar, but the A80J is truly $2200. I don't care about it not having all 2.1 ports because I use a receiver for everything (which doesn't even support 2.1 anyways lol) so I'll only ever use one of them.

How easy is it to use a TV that has Google TV on it without actually using any of the smart features or connecting it to the internet?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

dc3k posted:

The specs of these two are so similar, but the A80J is truly $2200. I don't care about it not having all 2.1 ports because I use a receiver for everything (which doesn't even support 2.1 anyways lol) so I'll only ever use one of them.

How easy is it to use a TV that has Google TV on it without actually using any of the smart features or connecting it to the internet?

The A80J has an option during set-up to use it as a basic tv with no smart features

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

morestuff posted:

The A80J has an option during set-up to use it as a basic tv with no smart features

Hell yeah. I wish that had shown up when Googling for "A80J disable Google TV" and other various phrases :sigh:

Thanks for the head's up. I think A80J is the one for me then

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

dc3k posted:

Doesn’t the C1 also have all 2.1 ports anyway?

Edit: I checked, it does.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My 65" C1 is gonna get delivered Saturday. I hope you're all right in singing its praises! Never had an OLED before but everyone says it's incredible.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Codependent Poster posted:

My 65" C1 is gonna get delivered Saturday. I hope you're all right in singing its praises! Never had an OLED before but everyone says it's incredible.

make sure to have some 4k content ready :pcgaming:

I went from a turbo lovely Seiki 50" 4K30 panel with backlight zones like a checkerboard to the 65C1 and yeah fantastically better, in motion clarity, uniformity, contrast, everything. It's a super nice looking picture if you've got a high-quality signal to feed it. Still fantastic with 1080p content just 4K is a notch above.

I was worried it'd be too big, giant box is giant, but actually in ultrawide content (and there is a lot of ultrawide) it's exactly what I wanted, and the gorgeous thing about it is letterboxing does look pure pitch black if you're in a darkened area, it doesn't look lovely like a CRT or a LCD does letterboxing.

Go through the overly nervous new parent routine of setting all the oled settings and brightness, follow RTing's (or HDTvTest?) guides, then fretting every time you pause. You get over it, just have the brightness reasonable on SDR content and don't leave a sleep timer on 8 hours on the same frame or something. A few minutes paused on some picture before it auto-sleeps isn't gonna hurt anything.

The first thing I saw was LOTR TTT (waited for it) and the thing I thought was interesting was (spoilered so you can enjoy your first experience, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy mine, just something I found interesting about HDR content) the way the film was much more visibly and consciously mastered with regards to luminescence. Scenes underground can be dark, like really dark, and scenes out in the sun can be bright, it makes way more sense the way Game of Thrones was mastered around this. Interestingly I'd randomly guess that they keep most things to 200-300 nits, 0-200 is "super dark underground for effect", 400-600 is "push the brightness for effect", and very clearly you can tell that only a few very specific things are 1000 nits because those are the eye-searingly bright ones. One I obviously noticed was the flaming tip of the balrog's whip. I'm not saying this is a particularly masterful dramatic use of brightness (nor am I saying it's bad, I just have terminal engineer-brain) but as a template for how filmmakers can now use luminosity as another element in their composition it's very interesting. I told my buddy about this and we laughed and kinda spent Batman guessing what the peak luminosity effects were. Batman is also another dark one where it looks fine on OLED btw.

Now this one you absolutely should not read until you've seen your first movie: man I was just terrified of the super thin panel, I had us manipulate it in the foam padding as much as possible so we weren't pressing on everything, my friend was another engineer who was super onboard with the "one wayward hand and this is a $1600 e-waste mess, no hands on the surface ever, talk it through before anybody puts hands on it and move very deliberately". I goofed setting it up and made a mistake that seemed logical but in hindsight was insane (my stand has a recessed glass portion over most of the center, so the tv stand is really only in contact at the corners and back... so can we just omit the front and get it down fully supported instead of only at 3 points? no, no you cannot, too tippy even if the CG is mostly back far enough, actually it's less tippy with only 3 point contact) and I was practically hyperventilating every time we had to lay it down or pick it up. Jesus christ how is superthin considered a virtue, gallery must be insane, how do you loving handle it? just have installers do that?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have good suggestions on how to get an ARC sound bar (LG C1 and Vizio v51-h6) audio synced?

I’m having a hell of a time getting it to look right.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Just took delivery of a 48" C1, to use as a secondary PC monitor and game consoles. After only a few hours of use I'm convinced this is one of the best purchases I've ever made. An absolute steal at $800.

Unfortunately, it really highlights how screwed up Windows 10 HDR is. My computer's crashed twice already, both times while futzing around with HDR.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be hooking up a TV as a secondary monitor to my PC for some games here shortly and wanted to see if anyone has any pro tips on how to make it work smoothly? Main question is how to handle getting games to launch over on the TV without just making it the primary, and hopefully keeping the monitor running for dual screen-ing too. Dunno if some winkey+P action would somehow be up for the task. Also won't be plugging straight into the TV it'll be going to a receiver which I haven't done with a PC before, if there's anything neat to know ahead of doing that. Tia!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have good suggestions on how to get an ARC sound bar (LG C1 and Vizio v51-h6) audio synced?

I’m having a hell of a time getting it to look right.
if it doesn't have HDMI passthrough, maybe use the optical out from the C1? the TV's built-in apps should compensate for ARC latency but you're screwed with external sources

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I had no idea HDMI 2.1 was so new. My current setup is probably the best I can do but I have no complaints. I started playing Ghost of Tsushima and it looks absolutely gorgeous

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

squirreltactic posted:

I'd love to know how this looks when you get it set up. I may need to do something similar.

Just showed up this morning!

Haven't been able to do much more than set it up, but it's not bad! Definitely gives me enough clearance for the soundbar and its big enough for the TV to be sturdy on there, but there's no way to hide the cables to the soundbar. Not sure if there's a better solution besides drilling a channel into the board to run the cables through, though. The old TV just had legs on either side so the cabling just ran underneath, but that wouldn't be possible with this TV's stand anyway.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

if it doesn't have HDMI passthrough, maybe use the optical out from the C1? the TV's built-in apps should compensate for ARC latency but you're screwed with external sources

I have an Apple TV and a switch hooked up, so I wouldn’t be able to run both over optical.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Got the G2's setup and the reciever but man trying to use the spectrum remote to turn everything on works like 30% of the time. got to figure out what is going on, but goodness gracious this is a beautiful TV!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bout to set this boy up here. Soundbar goes into the eARC port, and then the PS5 and PC and Switch can go into the TV HDMI ports? On my last TV nothing had enough ports, and I think I had my consoles/PC going into an HDMI switch that plugged into the soundbar itself. The HDMI switch only does 4k60, though, so I'd like to leave it out now that it matters.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Well, TV was delivered today. Wife and I watched Interstellar tonight in glorious UHD HDR. Holy poo poo! I will be spending a lot of time on the couch this weekend.

Researching receivers now. I have a nice subwoofer and 2 monitor speakers already.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheDK posted:

Well, TV was delivered today. Wife and I watched Interstellar tonight in glorious UHD HDR. Holy poo poo! I will be spending a lot of time on the couch this weekend.

Researching receivers now. I have a nice subwoofer and 2 monitor speakers already.

Other than intersellar what uhd hdr shows / movies should i watch?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

make sure to have some 4k content ready :pcgaming:

Oh yeah I was planning on Into the Spider-Verse being the first movie to check out.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Doesn’t the C1 also have all 2.1 ports anyway?

Edit: I checked, it does.

It does, I was talking about the A80J having 2.1 on 2 of the 4 ports.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh yeah I was planning on Into the Spider-Verse being the first movie to check out.

Spiderverse and Fury Road were the first two UHD discs I bought.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Into the Spider Verse came with my UHD player, a good choice to bundle. It also came with Jumanji which, ugh.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

fyallm posted:

2001 A Space Odyssey

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fyallm posted:

Fury Road for all the dust/banding/smooth gradients

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just watched Into the Spider-Verse on my 65 C1 and holy poo poo. The difference is loving incredible. You all were not overselling it at all. I've never seen a picture look that good on a TV. And no artifacts or or anything.

Definitely gonna go through my other 4K movies now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
hey so I've been loving the S95B so far as a computer monitor/gaming setup.

I have one issue, the OS Tizen is running very slow. Is this normal? Is tizen normally slow? I have an Apple TV that I use for media, so I don't actively use tizen for anything, but since everything is layered behind like 4 menus, moving around is extremely inefficient.

Just trying to figure out if this is normal and possibly if there's some way to improve the performance?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Taima posted:

I have one issue, the OS Tizen is running very slow. Is this normal? Is tizen normally slow?

All tv built in OSes are slow. They use slowest/cheapest cpus. They also all seem to have 100mb/s lan ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The slow cpus are annoying, but there’s really no reason why a TV needs more than a 100mb network connection. There’s zero use case in the smart platform on the TV that would require more than half that bandwidth.