Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Doesn't matter because when I test drove it this morning with my wife she had a literal panic attack and said she'd never drive it.

I guess i also thought the seats were pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PneumonicBook posted:

Doesn't matter because when I test drove it this morning with my wife she had a literal panic attack and said she'd never drive it.

I guess i also thought the seats were pretty bad.

lol too much torque for your wife?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look one pedal driving is just way too complicated

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kirios posted:

Look one pedal driving is just way too complicated

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol too much torque for your wife?

Literally both of these, mostly the second.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don't the Bolt E(UV) have creep mode?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I mean, one could always just not press the electron pedal as much.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1 pedal driving sucks, actually. Auto regen and happy coasting / adaptive cruise. Just let the car vibe and do its thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Your wife must really floor the poo poo out of your ICE vehicle if the EV torque is freaking her out

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Literally both of these, mostly the second.

I can't believe I'm about to do this, but here we go.

You should take a look at a Nissan LEAF.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

Pretty sure the "free chevy install" is more like "here's $500 to offset hiring an electrician".

Even if it isn't, I sure would want a car dealership doing electrical work on my house.

It’s $1000 and you go through electricians from a pool they choose but yep.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It’s $1000 and you go through electricians from a pool they choose but yep.

You also get a 3rd of the install cost back when you do your taxes next year.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Your wife must really floor the poo poo out of your ICE vehicle if the EV torque is freaking her out

Seems plausible. Maybe she's used to a big heavy van with a tiny engine, or a school bus, or a delivery truck.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
She babies the poo poo out of every car she's ever owned and drives in eco mode if the car has one so yea the instant torque was making her comfortable. Like she very much does not like it when I put the Explorer in sport and floor it but at least there's a building and you're not plastered to your seat instantaneously.

In hindsight I should have realized her motion sickness issues might not play nice with how EVs drive but at least I know for sure now lol.

I'll just hang out until there's a decent electric truck that's under 50k so we won't have to switch vehicles ever I spose.

I realize lightnings start at 40k, if I could find a pro sitting around without an absurd markup I'd have bought one already.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ford'll likely open preorders for 2024 Lightnings sometime next year. The Silverado EVs apparently start at 40k too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Get a Kia Soul EV. 0-60 in 9s lol. (I wouldn't actually recommend one to somebody who doesn't live in the Pacific NW due to battery degradation in any amount of heat)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ford'll likely open preorders for 2024 Lightnings sometime next year. The Silverado EVs apparently start at 40k too.

Yea. I had a lightning reservation but wasn't able to place an order for a pro and I didn't have any interest in an xlt so I dropped it. The silverados don't really appeal to me.

What will probably happen is I'll buy another ICE vehicle in the next year or two and then look at EVs at that point.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Get a Kia Soul EV. 0-60 in 9s lol. (I wouldn't actually recommend one to somebody who doesn't live in the Pacific NW due to battery degradation in any amount of heat)

Lol absolutely not.

This reminds me of when I was test driving Mustangs and took her for a ride in a 35th anniversary GT that had a lot of work done, I think it was something dumb like 500 hp. She was not a fan.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 14, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PneumonicBook posted:

Did it try and murder her

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea. I had a lightning reservation but wasn't able to place an order for a pro and I didn't have any interest in an xlt so I dropped it.

Why'd you drop the reservation? There was an option to defer to 2023MY for your preferred trim once the orders open in July.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bird with big dick posted:

She certainly thought it would.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The regular e-tron suv is pretty slow especially if you get the 50 version

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Were you near a Hyundai dealership?

This is an important data point for the thread, thanks in advance.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

PenisMonkey posted:

I mean, one could always just not press the electron pedal as much.

Like seriously why isn’t this the answer? Just… don’t go as fast?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Like seriously why isn’t this the answer? Just… don’t go as fast?

It's just one of a long, long list of "things lots of people can adjust to pretty quickly but for some folks it's a deal-breaker". This thread in particular has covered no shortage of stuff in this category: one pedal driving, turn indicators, shifter location, presence/absence of buttons, windshield wipers, blended braking, and now instant torque.

I bet you could find someone with a similar complaint about automatic transmission.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don't forget about the disappearance of the side mirror.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I floor the throttle 100% of the time and modulate speed with the brakes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I floor the throttle 100% of the time and modulate speed with the brakes

also known as “Mario Kart style”

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What, you expect me to not floor it after every red light? With this much torque?!

I’m sorry, I thought this was America.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Don't the Bolt E(UV) have creep mode?
I activated it and the Bolt started liking 5 year old instagram posts :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PneumonicBook posted:

What sort of standards?

Very rigorous.

(I didn't want this post to just get passed by.)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I didn't like one-pedal driving (especially on the Bolt) until I drove a Polestar 2 around Swiss roads + its ability to configure how aggressive the one-pedal mode is... now it's the only thing I use on my girlfriend's Bolt when I drive it around. Just takes a bit more finesse on the pedal -- if you just let off it, it's really aggressive since you can't adjust it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Speaking of OPD and Polestar, mine just updated to P2.2 and I’m in love with the fix that prevents jerkiness when transitioning from cruise control back to one-pedal mode.

I’m less in love with CarPlay but that’s mostly because it and Android Automotive overlap for things like directions (too addicted to the driver display map!) and text messages (don’t want Siri listening all the time, and she can’t be summoned with the wheel button either). Most of the deficiencies re: turning stuff off to avoid that overlap, are on Apple’s end, so eh.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was talking to a guy at work today about electric cars, me having a Tesla has gotten waaaayyy more interest than my Bolt did. He mentioned that he’s still skeptical of how useful they are until they have at least a thousand mile range. And that’s not the first time I’ve heard that comment.

Why is that always a thing? I even told him I had zero problems on a recent road trip to Chicago and back (from Columbus, Ohio) and only spent a half hour charging on either side of the trip. I feel like my actual real world experience counts for nothing sometimes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Zero cars have a thousand mile range so I don’t get why that’s the standard.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Zero cars have a thousand mile range so I don’t get why that’s the standard.

It’s a really dumb metric, but there are some that get close, no? Particularly when you start talking diesel with 25+ gallon tanks or, I think, ford has a 36 gallon tank for their pickups that is 800+ miles with the ecoboost and maybe hits 1k if you get a smaller engine? But, again, it’s a stupid metric and folks who are using it to argue against EVs aren’t arguing in good faith so I don’t really know what you’d tell them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think possibly in theory you can get a Ford 3L diesel with a 36 gallon tank that will do 1000 highway miles but I sort of doubt it’s ever been done.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

at least a thousand mile range

The Proclaimers can do that :colbert:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’re being a bit disingenuous here — it obviously isn’t just about the range but also about the availability and quickness of chargers/gas stations. We’ve been slightly dissuaded from a few road trips because of how our vehicle might struggle to find a charger on certain routes. It’s not a big deal for us but some people don’t like worrying about that sort of thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cruft posted:

The Proclaimers can do that :colbert:

Yeah, but they had to walk it all.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I mean I can see in theory why someone might want a car claimed to go a thousand miles, when after cutting a bunch of factors like temperature, restricting to 10-80 for fast charging, etc it might get you down to like idk 400 miles which some cars probably can do though maybe not in the same conditions idk.

It's just like for the most part I don't care for more than about 160 miles since I typically take breaks ever 2-3 hours, but to make that reliable, you'd probably be looking closer to 250 rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean I can see in theory why someone might want a car claimed to go a thousand miles, when after cutting a bunch of factors like temperature, restricting to 10-80 for fast charging, etc it might get you down to like idk 400 miles which some cars probably can do though maybe not in the same conditions idk.

It's just like for the most part I don't care for more than about 160 miles since I typically take breaks ever 2-3 hours, but to make that reliable, you'd probably be looking closer to 250 rated.

Perhaps their position isn't actually rational and defies any reasonable explanation. It's just another way of saying, "They're new and different and I don't understand them so I don't like them."