Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
My Steam Deck died on the weekend after I'd had it for about 48 hours :( (512GB, Q3)

It wouldn't come back up after I'd left Hitman 3 in suspend mode for a while, and then at first recovery mode started but didn't work - followed by no longer booting the recovery image at all, via USB or SD.

I've just dropped it off back with FedEx, hopefully they'll get a replacement out soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Target has a buy one get one 15% of sale on gift cards or maybe just gaming ones? Either way it works with steam gift cards! Ends shortly I think

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alright, so one of the first things I posted about was whether or not Mirror's Edge Catalyst would work because it requires the Origin Lite hook. Well, it was on sale for like $6 so I bought a copy, and not only does it run perfectly, it automatically syncs with my saved profile from my original Origin installation! :swoon:

That PSU is fine, it's overkill for the Dreck but will output to anything that uses PD 2+. The price is good, especially since it's on sale right now, although I'd lean towards a multi-port PSU nowadays because you might simultaneously want to charge your phone, laptop, etc.

That hub is also good, although there are plenty around that price that are fine; as long as they support power-in then you're just looking at the differences between number of ports and extra features. This Anker fortunately has both A and C USB ports, 2 SD slots, and Ethernet, so it's both quite portable but also viable as a desktop docking station, and has multiple options for added storage.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No I've never used Steam. I created an account to place a reservation for the Deck and have been purchasing things since.

That's pretty bizarre to hear, especially considering you've clearly been around a while. For contrast, my Steam account is over 18 years old.... :stare:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I tried it with cyberpunk. It ran at my desktop resolution at first (2560x1440) so everything was crunched down to fit into 720p. I then set the game resolution to 1280x800, which filled the steam deck's screen (no more black bars), but everything still seemed hosed up somehow. I don't know if it was due to a low stream bitrate or what, but the game's text was borderline illegible and the image seemed much softer than it should be. Latency was decent, though (with my steam deck connected to my router via 2.5GHz Wifi5 and my PC connected via 5GHz Wifi6). It was kinda noticeable when holding up my steam deck in front of my computer monitor, but I don't think it was enough to be a real issue in most games.

You posted about a resolution to this, but I was going to add that it sounds entirely like your issue was with video compression, rather than some hardware or configuration issue (i.e. with the resolution of the source or destination devices.) Increasing the parameters of the video stream sounds like it solved your issue.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I just picked up an Anker 555 USB-C hub since Amazon had a lightning deal for it. For those of you who use docks do you find the included 45W power adapter sufficient or should I be looking into getting a 60W AC adapter?

I'd guess the included adapter would work fine but the Deck would only charge at 10W.

The Dreck's OEM adapter should probably be fine, but note that it would depend on the power draw of the attached USB devices, so it's conceivable that it would be fine while using that dock for, say, video out, Ethernet, an SD card, and a mouse/keyboard, it might drastically increase the power draw if you added a couple of hub-powered USB drives for extra storage.

For some extra context, I just tried some various USB PSUs with my Dreck; the "phone-grade" ones (i.e. ones that typically output at 5 & maybe 9 V) reported the "slow charge" message and the battery still drained. I bought a set of these Anker PSUs because they were cheap (around $12 each) and I noted that they output at all voltages, giving the full 30 W at both 15 & 20 V. When connected to the Dreck, the Anker powered it without the "slow charge" message and the Dreck reported a charge at as high as 18.7 W while idle.

So the takeaway is that a 15/20 V 30 W PSU is probably the lowest I'd recommend for the Dreck and it could probably just maintain the battery charge at full load, or otherwise trickle charge it while playing for those of us who are trying to maintain our devices' battery health.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah and then you return it and play the lottery again. They've sent me 3 counterfeits in a row before.

You know, we hear this a lot but I've been ordering from Amazon for at least 15 years and have never received a single counterfeit SD card. This includes multiple copies of the Sandisk 1 TB ones.

minusX posted:

It's still going to make a noticeable difference with writing: installs, saves(not a huge deal generally), patches, moving between drives. Not as much because A2 speeds (as it's not supported in the hardware), but more the sustained real world write is a bit lower on the A1s (at least the tests that were going around in Reddit).

Edit: Tried to find the text chart, but video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHZs8RTlVU

A1/A2 is not a "speed" rating; the Application Performance Class defines IOPS. They also do list a minimum sustained sequential writing value, but it's the same (10 MB/s) for both ratings. I mean you could still get an A-rated SD card (as in the product line, not individual examples) that's better overall, including sustained transfers (e.g. with the "Extreme/Pro" cards versus the budget ones) but that's not a function of the Application rating, which is absolutely what you're suggesting. And I'll reiterate that all of the SD card standards are minimum values, and you could certainly test specific cards that exceed those values.

Animal posted:

I transferred a bunch of games from an external SSD into the internal SSD and SD card. Even with a fast A2 Samsung Pro Plus card it was awfully slow to transfer those big games, maybe 3x slower than the internal SSD. But they run just fine. Games are made to be read sequentially on a slow drive. It’s only now that devs are experimenting with fast drives as a feature, in games like Ratchet and Clank on PS5. It’s likely that the SD card read speeds won’t be a bottleneck before the Steam Deck itself becomes obsolete.

Write operations are generally more intensive (read: slower) than reads, so that means the behavior that you described sounds perfectly normal. That's why an SD card might have the "10 MB/s" rating but it applies to sequential writes, and it'll have say a "90 MB/s" advertised sustained read rating.

Rinkles posted:

Is this actually true? I did some tests with an external HDD and a microSDXC memory card a couple of months ago, moving large files back and forth to a pc, and the hard drive was considerably faster. I don't remember the exact figures, but it was a big difference.

The original post this was replying to was about games "being made to run off of 5400 RPM HDDs." It would be more accurate to say games have generally been designed to operate on existing technology, so in other words not to require storage on SSDs that aren't necessarily in every user's system. Notably the previous-gen consoles used HDDs out of the box and building a PC with an SSD for the OS and HDDs for game storage is still commonplace.

And regarding your experience, HDDs do have respectable sustained transfer rates, on the order of 100 MB/s or greater, including for writes, which do equate to better sustained performance than SD cards. SS media do offer better random performance than HDDs, however, which top out at single-digit MB/s values.

I would have to disagree on this; it seems that the "45 W" rating is the sum of all 3 outputs, which appear to be rated for only 5 V ⎓ 3 A: "5V/3A Output (USB-C Port) and 5V/3A (USB-A Port); 5V/2.4A"

JazzFlight posted:

I've found the Steam Deck is perfect for finally getting into American Truck Simulator (or Euro 2 if you prefer). Works well with the 30fps limit (takes about 10-12 watts) and with cloud saves I can go back and forth between portable and running it in VR on my main desktop. Pretty sweet.

It works very well for Snowrunner, for those of us who prefer our truckin' to be offroad! :toot:

an iksar marauder posted:

SD card if he doesn’t have one for it

Powered usb-c dock might be hard for that price

There are plenty of USB-C hubs (with power-in ports) that can be used as docks within that price range.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mine just came in, very exciting as I haven't had a gaming capable PC for about 20 years so I'm a little behind (I've had consoles so I haven't completely missed everything, but mostly Xbox so any major PC only games or PS exclusives from the last 2 Gens or so no).
I haven't had much time to play around with it, is there anything people recommend I should do/cjange/install right away? Also I can't seem to find a straight answer on this one; can I connect it to my chromecast? I'll probably buy a dock anyways for convenience but it'd be nice if I could just remote in

E:also happy to get any recommendations on must play, PC only games from the last decade. I grabbed a few big name ones during the sale but I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Opopanax posted:

Mine just came in, very exciting as I haven't had a gaming capable PC for about 20 years so I'm a little behind (I've had consoles so I haven't completely missed everything, but mostly Xbox so any major PC only games or PS exclusives from the last 2 Gens or so no).
I haven't had much time to play around with it, is there anything people recommend I should do/cjange/install right away? Also I can't seem to find a straight answer on this one; can I connect it to my chromecast? I'll probably buy a dock anyways for convenience but it'd be nice if I could just remote in

E:also happy to get any recommendations on must play, PC only games from the last decade. I grabbed a few big name ones during the sale but I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing

Get the Steam Link App on the Play Store and you can remote in that way.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Metal Gear Solid V runs at a very smooth 60fps with rare dips. It looks as if it were developed for the Steam Deck. Amazing. Can’t wait to beat a bunch of games from that era.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

You posted about a resolution to this, but I was going to add that it sounds entirely like your issue was with video compression, rather than some hardware or configuration issue (i.e. with the resolution of the source or destination devices.) Increasing the parameters of the video stream sounds like it solved your issue.

Uh, no, it was entirely a resolution scaling issue. In the end, the only thing that fixed the issue was changing the max resolution setting to 720p in the remote play settings. The symptoms were consistent with resolution scaling issues too (like the top loop on a symmetrical eight being bigger than the bottom loop).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 14, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I think I might have a dodgy SD card slot in my deck. I’ve posted about my weird issues before and I thought it might be the card crapping out but I’ve replaced the SD card with a new one and it’s kinda doing the same thing.

Like it’s taken over 20 min to reserve the space on the card for an 8 gig game. Then it doesn’t download at any constant rate.

Is there a good way to test it to see what is going on?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

So I think I might have a dodgy SD card slot in my deck. I’ve posted about my weird issues before and I thought it might be the card crapping out but I’ve replaced the SD card with a new one and it’s kinda doing the same thing.

Like it’s taken over 20 min to reserve the space on the card for an 8 gig game. Then it doesn’t download at any constant rate.

Is there a good way to test it to see what is going on?

How does the card behave when hooked up to your PC via a card reader?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Didn't Valve mention something about a SDcard tester built into SteamOS to see read/write speeds and actual size? I guess you could run that, if that's actually in the OS at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How does the card behave when hooked up to your PC via a card reader?

I’ll have to try that tomorrow but I’ve gotten this a few times with the new card (I think the older card did it as well).

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
I'm impressed by how well anything I throw on the Deck runs with little/no issue.

However, getting PSP game DLC to work with PPSSPP's "core" in RetroArch is giving me fits given on Windows, I was able to get it to see that but on Linux/the Deck it's impossible.

Like, throwing Windows-downloaded games onto the Deck has the Deck see it like previously installed/backed up titles and then it's just a Shader pre-cache. But here moving the files/configurations has the Deck and Linux go "uh...?" Maddening. I don't think it's a permission or file system issue. But given there is a thousand "steam" files on the Deck, it's impossible to know the RetroArch install I've put stuff into is the actual one or YodaThereIsAnother.jpg in the system.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I keep turning on my deck and it's in night mode screen, even without that scheduled to happen. Anyone else seeing that?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nerrel has 4 videos of reviewing Metroidvania's. Those probably play well on the deck.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUrUceYSgmQ
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjNh_jVL26Y
Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Hx3w9myHQ
Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnj1Z-emMQ

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I got my Deck yesterday and I spent more time tweaking emulators and settings than actually playing any games. 10/10 reminds me of highschool

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tibbeh posted:

I got my Deck yesterday and I spent more time tweaking emulators and settings than actually playing any games. 10/10 reminds me of highschool

This doesn’t stop. My favorite/most played game is the game download screen, settings screens, and desktop mode probably and I haven’t played on my normal PC since I got this stupid thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, everyone should consider getting a web browser as a non-steam game added to their library and really tweak the controls on it to fit your sensibilities. It’s one of my favorite ways to look at poo poo on the internet.

Heck, I even post from it!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Had a 4 days trip and it's insanely brilliant to have that toy for those airplane/train journeys. Extra points too for the wide eyes of airport bag check guy who saw the baby come out of the scanner, since they had me take it out of the bag and open the box for all the world to see. I almost mentioned that yes, it was a 512GB, but reconsidered, since it was already clear from his eyes that he desperately wanted one but couldn't afford it. I just stuck to the smugly satisfied superior being body language that clearly identifies the alpha nerd.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FishMcCool posted:

Had a 4 days trip and it's insanely brilliant to have that toy for those airplane/train journeys. Extra points too for the wide eyes of airport bag check guy who saw the baby come out of the scanner, since they had me take it out of the bag and open the box for all the world to see. I almost mentioned that yes, it was a 512GB, but reconsidered, since it was already clear from his eyes that he desperately wanted one but couldn't afford it. I just stuck to the smugly satisfied superior being body language that clearly identifies the alpha nerd.

Why do you assume that he can't afford it instead of just not being able to order one yet? The Deck is actually really cheap and affordable all things considered.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Insanite posted:

drat, you're right. i was scared off of it by some old protonDB reviews, but it's running very nicely for me.

I played through the original in 2013 but was thinking about picking up the Definitive Edition - it's showing Deck unsupported. You've had no issues at all so far?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

^^^ e: I’ve only put an hour in, but nope. No problems.

Yeah, wouldn’t call alpha nerddom the same as disdain for the poors.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

This doesn’t stop. My favorite/most played game is the game download screen, settings screens, and desktop mode probably and I haven’t played on my normal PC since I got this stupid thing.

Sometimes people feel guilty about this and I used to but the lesson is that if you’re having fun with your device you’re having fun with your device

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

Why do you assume that he can't afford it instead of just not being able to order one yet? The Deck is actually really cheap and affordable all things considered.

That would be a horrifying thought. Not being able to afford it is fair enough, and money is particularly tight right now. But if he couldn't be bothered canceling his life to be on the computer at preorder opening time last summer to desperately click on the same buttons repeatedly for 30 minutes, then I would have to question his motivation in all of this. To think that I almost considered him a peer!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone played any games that use mods from steam workshop? I’m trying to load give XCOM2 a go and my loads are not seeing my subscribed mods (even though the launcher shows them and has them enabled). Tried in both desktop and gaming up to no avail.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FishMcCool posted:

That would be a horrifying thought. Not being able to afford it is fair enough, and money is particularly tight right now. But if he couldn't be bothered canceling his life to be on the computer at preorder opening time last summer to desperately click on the same buttons repeatedly for 30 minutes, then I would have to question his motivation in all of this. To think that I almost considered him a peer!

I got my deck before you, so that places me higher in this nerd hierarchy, right? Like I'm a Duke and you're a count or baron?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dramicus posted:

I got my deck before you, so that places me higher in this nerd hierarchy, right? Like I'm a Duke and you're a count or baron?

*begrudgingly bows to his Duke* :negative:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sometimes people feel guilty about this and I used to but the lesson is that if you’re having fun with your device you’re having fun with your device

I loving love tinkering so as it is now the Deck is just the best thing. I’m sure as things progress things like emudeck will be easier for non-technical people tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FishMcCool posted:

lmao where’d you copy paste this from

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played a bit of the PSP version of Persona 1 and :holymoley: it rocks. I've had an actual PSP long time ago and then 2DS XL but this is by far the best emulation machine so far.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anyone played any games that use mods from steam workshop? I’m trying to load give XCOM2 a go and my loads are not seeing my subscribed mods (even though the launcher shows them and has them enabled). Tried in both desktop and gaming up to no avail.

I've never used mods but I gave up on xcom2 pretty quick as it's one of the few games so far where I've found the ui a bit small and generally not a great experience. Shame as xcom feels like it should be amazing on deck.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I keep turning on my deck and it's in night mode screen, even without that scheduled to happen. Anyone else seeing that?

I’m having the same issue

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

FFXIV randomly decided to run like butt (21 FPS when I had a prime with a locked 40 fine). Decided to reboot the Deck and run XIVLauncher, FFXIV still was running at 16-21 FPS. Reset the profile Steam Deck side, still bad. Tried messing with settings in game, better but getting 26 vs the 60 it could hit. Randomly looked at the settings again Deck side and it was limited to 200 GPU clock frequency. I have no idea why that wasn't resetting when I reset everything to default for the game profile but it happened to me randomly.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I use a bunch of mods with Binding of Isaac and they all download, install, and load just fine. Could be an XCOM2 thing?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

3 hours of orders processed today instead of two hours as of Monday 😳😳😳

emmetsprogress
Aug 24, 2009
Got my email today - 256Gb, UK. Over a month ahead of the Steam Deck calculator so I really wasn't expecting it!
Of course, when I try to pay my bank declines the transaction. Twice. I didn't want to use Paypal but I want new shiny thing so gently caress it. Happy early birthday to meeeee!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Measuring fulfillment progress by "number of hours" is pretty misleading given that the order volume (as a function of time) is almost certainly a decaying exponential curve. I realize there might not be much public data on order volumes though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glad to see more people getting their emails and Decks; god I love this loving thing.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Measuring fulfillment progress by "number of hours" is pretty misleading given that the order volume (as a function of time) is almost certainly a decaying exponential curve. I realize there might not be much public data on order volumes though.
Yeah it feels annoying to bring it up because people are going off the only info they know, and it's cool people are getting closer to getting to order it. It's also annoying when people yell about how Valve lied about the double production of units "Because order times are going slower!!" in Europe when it was from 12 hours (overnight when people weren't likely awake ordering as much) to just 7 hours (all during the day when people would be actively ordering most likely).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anyone know how to use the built in deck controller with Game Pass? I followed the steps and can get to it now, but it says the controller is unsupported. Is it doable or do I need an Xbox controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The FMV cutscenes on MGSV are glitching and playing in very slow motion. The game otherwise works perfectly. Anyone has this issues?