Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I still can't get over the dude hating firefighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

iwentdoodie posted:

I still can't get over the dude hating firefighters

How about the goon who thought ambulances couldn’t leave hospitals

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Upgrade posted:

How about the goon who thought ambulances couldn’t leave hospitals

I love that post for the sheer "wtf are you talking about dude" factor. Immediate :dafuq: upon reading

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mycophobia posted:

I love that post for the sheer "wtf are you talking about dude" factor. Immediate :dafuq: upon reading

Lol, that one's great. I forgot about the context too, "this vampire movie is so unrealistic!"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

Lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
In current news The Mittani of Eve Online resigned amid loving wild confirmed story's that are too fresh for Saga. But the current business went down in the MMOHMO Eve thread posted late June 2022. I love sifting through drama to find a narrative, but this one has been the most alien, tedious, and obfuscated to find first or second hand words for.

But Eve has Sagas. One thread to find them is how the Horn of Goondorgets sound every now and again. It is a kinda of call roster using these forums as a kinda sleeper notification numbers station for manpower requirements. It's been sound a couple times in the past few decades. Ive lost the details for Eve stories but everyone should know that Vilrerat was for real at Benghazi, the original poster who held information that could lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Absolute top-tier post lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The Eve stuff literally happened today :colbert:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Setting a reminder in my work calendar for one year from today to read all about that juicy spaceship spreadsheet drama

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mycophobia posted:

lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Frank Frank posted:

The Eve stuff literally happened today :colbert:

No it was yesterday. I saw the perma and everything.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

DaysBefore posted:

Setting a reminder in my work calendar for one year from today to read all about that juicy spaceship spreadsheet drama

:hai:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DaysBefore posted:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DaysBefore posted:

This is good and proper. You gotta let it baste in its own juices

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Eve and goonfleet have been such a big thing for so long there are multiple sagas going back to the founding that really only make sense after having to explain a ton of Eve context.

It seems like most of it was basically loving around with other guilds and inciting them to do really stupid things then profit after the eventual failure.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 15, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
We only accept well-marinated and cured sagas here, lest they end up like that human leg someone in the meat curing thread failed to make ham out of.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

pentyne posted:

Eve and goonfleet have been such a big thing for so long there are multiple sagas going back to the founding that really only make sense after having to explain a ton of Eve context.

It seems like most of it was basically loving around with other guilds and inciting them to do really stupid things then profit after the eventual failure.

Yes. Since Eve has always been designed to easily convert between ingame and real money, it's measurable in the tens of thousands of dollars of thefts and destruction.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Yes. Since Eve has always been designed to easily convert between ingame and real money, it's measurable in the tens of thousands of dollars of thefts and destruction.

Vague memories of Goonfleet stories are

- a lot of j4g people getting hazed in GBS
- having to spend 2 years doing the lowest level grind work and giving a huge chunk to the guild, like a job basically
- Vilerat being a big deal in the guild
- Something about wars or whatever, there was a big one last year they baited a bunch of major guilds into attacking and won

MMO dynamics are hosed. There was another 'blow-up' last year for the New World MMO because one of the goon members was a known racist/sexist pig but was also a massive MMO player so people put up with him for the sake of having him in raids and stuff.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
didn't that prencleeve grothsmore kid initially get on the SA mock radar for threatening to sue goonfleet after getting owned on EVE online

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

pentyne posted:

MMO dynamics are hosed. There was another 'blow-up' last year for the New World MMO because one of the goon members was a known racist/sexist pig but was also a massive MMO player so people put up with him for the sake of having him in raids and stuff.

funny you should say that.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
This one is from 12~ years ago or so: Former goonfleet CEO had a keylogger installed on his home machine by someone paid by the then-wannabe CEO. They found emails from adultfriendfinder of dude and his wife trying to score a theeesome complete with pictures of said dude’s tiny dick. Those pictures were then “leaked” to an underage kid who they knew would spread them everywhere. Pictures of that guys dick were then allegedly faxed to the law office he worked at.

(Turn out his law office specialized in victimizing elderly people during the 2008 financial crisis so maybe don’t feel too bad for him).

Dickpic guy has now literally changed his name to escape humiliation only he changed it to something even sillier than his original name (which was fairly silly to begin with).

The end

Tl;Dr: goonfleet is really hosed up

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
When I worked at a call center I was discussing SA with a friend of mine and showing him the fountain pen thread. A coworker heard the word "goon" and went the gently caress off about how we were scum, etc.

He was an EVE player.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Eveey day I feel blessed to have never gotten into MMOs.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It's been said but it's impressive how some EVE anecdotes are legitimately pretty funny and impressive when the game itself is literally the single most boring thing known to man, more boring than an actual job

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

mycophobia posted:

Also it's hilarious that this guy had 6 pages' worth of posts in the thread over seven years, but after trying to claim that 'patient transfers are not done by ambulance' (which is again pretty :dafuq:) never posted in it again

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuns with Guns posted:

We only accept well-marinated and cured sagas here, lest they end up like that human leg someone in the meat curing thread failed to make ham out of.

Yes exactly

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's been said but it's impressive how some EVE anecdotes are legitimately pretty funny and impressive when the game itself is literally the single most boring thing known to man, more boring than an actual job

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

EVE and dwarf fortress are the best games for reading poo poo about and never, ever playing

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

more falafel please posted:

EVE and dwarf fortress are the best games for reading poo poo about and never, ever playing

And SS13.

I still don't understand what that game's supposed to be and as God is my witness I will never find out.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Roth posted:

Eveey day I feel blessed to have never gotten into MMOs.

Same. I put maybe 150 hours into City of Heroes over like, 6 months, and thats the worst I ever got.

My middle brother had to spend an extra 2-3 semesters in college due to Everquest. One semester he just straight up took off school, had no job, just EQ.

My oldest brother entirely failed out of college (on a full scholarship!!) because of online video games. In 1992. MUDs, man. MUDs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KirbyKhan posted:

In current news The Mittani of Eve Online resigned amid loving wild confirmed story's that are too fresh for Saga.

What are you talking about?

It’s ancient news that TheMittRomney has binders full of women.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i never played goon ss13 but i played in the beforetimes and ss13 was hilarious when you knew how to play. people would get legitimately mad at you for not roleplaying properly, and instead piling a bunch of fuel containers in the engine and causing a chain reaction that would suddenly destroy the ship

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

In current news

Man, you're really struggling with the "don't post current poo poo" ITT

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i never played goon ss13 but i played in the beforetimes and ss13 was hilarious when you knew how to play. people would get legitimately mad at you for not roleplaying properly, and instead piling a bunch of fuel containers in the engine and causing a chain reaction that would suddenly destroy the ship

I always forget if it was ss13 or something else but there was a goon running a server for that game and someone posted some threats that they were going to shoot up their school.

The police got contacted and so he turned over the chat logs that included a ton of people using the action commands to fart in each other's mouths inbetween the posted threats.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

mycophobia posted:

I love the Where Do Ambulances Live? story, it's so funny and wholesome. And to that goon's credit, she realized how stupid that was and made fun of herself instead of having a meltdown, so it's just feel-good all around

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pentyne posted:

I always forget if it was ss13 or something else but there was a goon running a server for that game and someone posted some threats that they were going to shoot up their school.

The police got contacted and so he turned over the chat logs that included a ton of people using the action commands to fart in each other's mouths inbetween the posted threats.

I cant think of another game that lets you do this

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Managed to find the original thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485140&userid=104992&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post414918557

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Yeah, if you're gonna try to commit blackmail and extortion, both of which are criminal acts, it's pretty unwise to do so when your real name and location are both very easily found. Kids these days.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It was a real hoot having to say the words "Space station 13" and "autisticpowers.info" and explain why people were farting up a storm in a chatlog I had to send to the FBI a few months ago.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Some weirdo was making rapey and creepy comments in game one night at about one AM. I yelled at them, they responded with a couple weird cryptic messages and then this, roughly: "well thanks for all the fun times here, i've got my rifle loaded and i'm gonna be shooting up a school full of kids in the morning, so this is goodbye"

User key was his first initial and last name with a number, that same account name was also used by a certain college student's blog and google+ page. Found his city and college from those, and the IP address he was playing from matched the ip registry for that college. Submitted the admin log, ip and timestamps to the FBI's online tips form, got several frantic calls back from city police and FBI agents over the next several hours and ended up getting calls from various detectives and fbi agents every hour or so from one am to three pm. No goddamn sleep.

Dude's dorm room was raided and he was arrested within about three hours of his comments, dorm was searched, computer taken to forensics, all that jazz. I dunno what happened past that though. I did have to write up some incident reports and attach a whole bunch of supplementary text and pictures about what ss13 is, how we log player communications and login info, how people find the game, how people register for the game, and a whole bunch of other stuff like that. Somewhere there's a screenshot in an FBI evidence folder showing a bunch of regular players farting, because it was impossible to find any portion of the game chat panel WITHOUT farting.

goddamn you all

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

KirbyKhan posted:

In current news

. I love sifting through drama

I'm banning you from this thread if you do this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sebmojo posted:

Yes exactly

Oh poo poo that hasn't even been posted here yet has it?

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?