Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

lmfao gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

And SS13.

I still don't understand what that game's supposed to be and as God is my witness I will never find out.

SS13 is a group of people doing spaceship roleplaying, a group of people playing a game of Mafia/Werewolf, and a group of people who enjoy pissing other people off for laughs, all shoved together and forced to interact with each other/join each other's groups.

90%+ of the time it is boring or an unfunny disaster, but then you get a gem of a round that feels like you just watched/participated in 40-60 random strangers improv a new episode of Sealab 2021. It's why it is often better to just read the stories that come out of it than actually play it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I read that the guy who has spent 10 years digging into Dark Souls lore is getting an lore encylocpedia published and it reminded me of the Dark Souls LP that went from pseudo-intellectual ruminations to outright insane gang-stalking levels of conspiracy when the OP decided to reveal their theory that that last 30 years of Japanese videogames had a secret trans creator working behind the scenes leaving breadcrumbs across dozens of games who the entire Souls franchise is a homage to.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

Undeath of the Author: Velka

Dark Souls is a tomb. In the tradition of Don Quixote, stated inspiration for the character Lucatiel of Mirrah, the entire Souls series is a grand, literary experiment in metafiction. And when you put the pieces together, any metafiction interpretation revolves around the repeating theme of a world built from the corpse of a dying god, with the most central variant of the myth revolving around the series' anonymous and now very dead creator, Seath. That is to say that the entire Soulsborne series is a memorial for an actually-existing, nameless person.

But I wasn’t content leaving things at that. I wanted to attempt soul reconstruction surgery. So I endeavored in the most sacred of rituals in all of gaming: clipping out of bounds. Look, I was instructed to link the flame, but no one ever precisely defined the boundaries. That one’s on you, FromSoft. Blame yourself or god.

Through the application of symbolic resonance, I think I’ve triangulated the trajectory of Seath’s travels through three decades of influence in the video game industry, and the tale is rapturous. It’s a story both terrible and beautiful in equal measure. And it demands to be seen. Blasphemy or not.

Like I said last time, you can learn a lot about a pharaoh by the objects they choose to be buried with, and following this has taken me somewhere I never thought I’d be going back to: the Final Fantasy series.

There's only a page or 2 but someone gets probated immediately for saying it's weird to invent a fictional trans person when real trans people worked in video game development and also making connections like "these two games use sunflowers" to argue a significant and meaningful link.

the tl:dr boils down to

Endorph posted:

i think fiction can reference gender without it being part of an interlocking intergenerational conspiracy involving a trans person youve made up in your head, and id really like it if you could stop pursuing this line of 'logic' because its utterly deranged and unhealthy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carpator Diei posted:

I think you're being extremely uncharitable in general here, but this is what I particularly take issue with. As someone who mostly suspends opinions on the unnamed-creator thesis (mostly because I feel like this thesis is something so personal that it doesn't depend on anyone else's approval), this thread in general is legitimately the best interpretation of themes and storytelling methods in videogames I've ever encountered, and I don't think that hinges on whether the premise behind it is correct. To be more precise, it's the first interpretation of the FromSoft games I've found that, by my estimate, really takes these games seriously as works of art, with all that this entails.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

I appreciate the condescension masked as concern, but I assure you, I'm doing about as well as one could hope in 2021. That being said, I don't mind adversarial examinations, so I'll give this an honest response.

First of all, it's pretty reductive to assume that every piece of media coming out of Japan between 1991 and 2021 has to be solely about the Lost Decade. If you want to do a literary analysis on how twenty years of economic stagnation influenced the creation of Dark Souls, that'd honestly be pretty cool. But you haven't. Calling something an "obvious explanation" because you've heard of an event and can cite the first line of a wikipedia article is just lazy.

Oneavi posted:

I want to be clear here: this is not textual analysis. This is some youtube level taping together of symbols/tropes to create a metanarrative. Pointing at something and drawing a line to another thing is not analysis, it's a TVTropes page. Additionally, as stated by Endorph, the analytic perspective has been completely Anglocentric by failing to take into account that you're reading English language interpretations of a thing, not the thing itself.

fun hater posted:

i have friends of friends who worked on the translation for sekiro and the reason why this happens is bc miyazaki gives them the script to tl at the last possible moment and usually its full of archiac japanese

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Was SS 13 the one where people were figuring out how to make explosives out of snack chips and random game items and break the game? I remember a post by a developer on the game being amazed and exasperated by the creative ways people were creating chaos

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm banning you from this thread if you do this again

You'd have to wait a year to make the announcement, of course.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’m actually kinda sad they never did anything with Velka. Would have made for a good DS3 DLC

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Only if someone posted about it ITT.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Cat Hassler posted:

Was SS 13 the one where people were figuring out how to make explosives out of snack chips and random game items and break the game? I remember a post by a developer on the game being amazed and exasperated by the creative ways people were creating chaos

yup

PopeCrunch posted:

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

One of the greatest moments in gaming history.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is why SS13 is the greatest video game ever made.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

I read that the guy who has spent 10 years digging into Dark Souls lore is getting an lore encylocpedia published and it reminded me of the Dark Souls LP that went from pseudo-intellectual ruminations to outright insane gang-stalking levels of conspiracy when the OP decided to reveal their theory that that last 30 years of Japanese videogames had a secret trans creator working behind the scenes leaving breadcrumbs across dozens of games who the entire Souls franchise is a homage to.

There's only a page or 2 but someone gets probated immediately for saying it's weird to invent a fictional trans person when real trans people worked in video game development and also making connections like "these two games use sunflowers" to argue a significant and meaningful link.

the tl:dr boils down to

Theres a fine line between in-depth postmodern analysis, and just being a crazy person.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

unfortunately the goon server for ss13 became embroiled in drama that caused popecrunch to swear off the game for good. Usual mod/admin shenanigans where someone with buttons harassed a mentally ill user for lulz until said user had a public breakdown and got banned and the rest of the admin team circled the wagons around them in the name of brunch

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was reading that Dark Souls thread as it happened, because I like dumb fan theories, and the slide from "oh no, don't read too much into those translated pronouns" to "you're confusing personal meaning to you with objective media analysis" to "wait what? What??" was quite a loving ride

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the people who agreed with the op are the dumbest people ive ever met. at least the op was crazy. whats their excuse

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fun hater posted:

the people who agreed with the op are the dumbest people ive ever met. at least the op was crazy. whats their excuse

They post in LP, those people are crazy. They watch other people play video games :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's the person passionately defending it who says "I don't think it matters if the premise is incorrect"

you know, the entire reason someone does a deep dive into textual analysis, the fundamental reason behind the entire thing, the intro chapter to your theory that is supposed to be what you are dedicated to proving

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

more falafel please posted:

EVE and dwarf fortress are the best games for reading poo poo about and never, ever playing

hey dwarf fortress is an incredibly fun game, in theory

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vox Nihili posted:

hey dwarf fortress is an incredibly fun game, in theory

yup that's why I filter it out and get the secondhand experiences of people's weirdass dorfs, so I don't have to play it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
That souls thread makes one of the plot developments in Elden Ring much much funnier.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Could I have a link to that thread where goons started doing that new drug that makes you black out for weeks and completely destroys your life?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jamie Faith posted:

Could I have a link to that thread where goons started doing that new drug that makes you black out for weeks and completely destroys your life?

mmorpg?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Jamie Faith posted:

Oh god, joose

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jamie Faith posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3230894

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that story has a ton of misremembered history around it, too. like the "song from OoT that teleports you to the hospital" wasn't a goon (bluelight post about some synthetic cannaboid that got posted in the thread), i don't think anyone was taking the drugs ocularly ie into their eyes - the "eyeballing" referenced is visually estimating how much you should take of a substance active in the micrograms. this is less silly sounding but MUCH dumber irl. if anyone was it was a miscommunication. certainly no one was injecting things into their eyes.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
No one bought a grand piano either

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
my memory of the particulars is a bit fuzzy but didn't one of the old TCC mods actually kill one of his posters by telling her to get on an even harder drug instead of going to rehab

and then after he got banned for it he ran off to SASS to cry about it and liken himself to lenny from of mice and men

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i don't think he killed anyone, although the poster in question definitely might have died. it was in the heroin thread, an addict was having problems with trying to quit with regular methods and a mod made the genuinely insane suggestion of a massive dose of LSD and backed it up with some very questionable studies, iirc. fyad found it. that heroin thread was a very dark place and if you go back and reread it a distressing amount of people have permadead avatars.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
TCC just seems like a bad idea in general and should have gone the way of Helldump decades ago.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

excerpts from the whole thing posted:

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

Heroin thread was this bit. Even long ago when we were young and alive the OPs were very visibly dead and posters would just keep talking about how to ID a hot bag over the words of skeletons.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jagged Jim posted:

TCC just seems like a bad idea in general and should have gone the way of Helldump decades ago.

these days it honestly mostly just seems to be a place where old farts vape weed and maybe drop mushrooms or other soft drugs occasionally, or people discussing their legitimately prescribed medications. most of the threads seem to be cannabis related.

for some reason it seems like there was some selective pressure away from the hard drug/research chemical threads of many years ago.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Yeah. Unfortunately there’s a good reason why you don’t meet many 45 year-old heroin addicts

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CoolCab posted:

For some reason it seems like there was some selective pressure away from the hard drug/research chemical threads of many years ago.

It's because the people talking about hard drugs all died, most likely.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TCC's home of the recovery thread which is good and important. Also acid is fine, lmao if you haven't tripped tbqh. You should try LSD.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i don't think he killed anyone, although the poster in question definitely might have died. it was in the heroin thread, an addict was having problems with trying to quit with regular methods and a mod made the genuinely insane suggestion of a massive dose of LSD and backed it up with some very questionable studies, iirc. fyad found it. that heroin thread was a very dark place and if you go back and reread it a distressing amount of people have permadead avatars.

yeah FYAD was why i remembered the saga from like 9 years ago, one of them quipping "much like lenny, the mod accidentally killed a woman due to his brain problems" after he went to SASS

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
One of my dogs is named Lenny

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The best/worst TCC thread was the heroin thread where people liveblogged getting infections from dirty needles and those who begged them to get help were probated

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The tcc hondarider saga where a mod told a woman dying from heroin addiction/withdrawal to take a bunch of lsd instead of rehab:

HondaRider271 posted:

Actually, yeah this is pretty heavily due to stigma/drug war. Did you not see the whole thing where she got taken to jail, then after she got out immediately went on a massive drug binge? Have you ever been to jail, or more accurately have you ever been to jail and then felt like you had no options at all when you got out except to ignore the experience by doing a bunch of drugs? Try going to a therapist or hospital or anywhere really with trackmarks on your body and see how much compassion and help you'll get. You don't get addicted to heroin because of the stigma, but it makes it nearly impossible to get off.

Aphid, I am very sorry you were arrested. No drug user should ever have to experience that, especially one who is heavily dependent on them. It does nothing for anyone and serves no purpose except further ruining lives. Having been there, I would bet right now you have no intention whatsoever of trying to do anything about the court case and just letting it go and hope you overdose or whatever by the time a warrant goes out. I cannot say I wouldn't do the same exact thing, so I must preface this by saying that I fully understand the mental block you have right now. But please get a lawyer, pay for them however you can, and try to minimize the damage on your record. One day you might want a job or something, and you're gonna have a gently caress of a time getting one if you just roll over and take a felony possession of heroin.

I don't know that there are any useful suggestions anyone could possibly give you about getting clean. Rehab is such a loving joke I can't even mention it without the disclaimer that it's really not going to work at all. I know it's probably a lovely thing to say since for many people it is a last resort before death, but if anything will drive you to drug use it is rehab. Try to take a bunch of LSD or something, poo poo, just get off the drat heroin.

A very good, normal response when it is brought up soon after in QCS:

HondaRider271 posted:

I did not step down, I was abandoned by the admins after being assured that the witch hunt had no merit and that I would be fine.

gently caress all the bullshit hand-wringing, feigned concern about a topic/poster that nobody here knew anything about at all. This was a perfect microcosm of the worthless, "gotcha!" society that is the modern world. One wrong sentence and suddenly people come out of the woodwork asking for their job, even though within the context of the relationship and the history of the people involved the statement is totally innocuous. Oh you spent years devoted to helping people and sharing your own personal experiences in hopes of enriching the lives of others? Haha gently caress you we want to have a big FYAD circlejerk and get our jollies by meddling around in business that doesn't pertain to us at all. Pieces of poo poo.

My suggestion is you all shoot up heroin until you die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Not really a saga but on the subject of TCC there was a thread called Watched a "friend" of mine host a crack party with his 2 year old upstairs which is exactly what it sounds like.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 16, 2022

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

CoolCab posted:

that story has a ton of misremembered history around it, too. like the "song from OoT that teleports you to the hospital" wasn't a goon (bluelight post about some synthetic cannaboid that got posted in the thread), i don't think anyone was taking the drugs ocularly ie into their eyes - the "eyeballing" referenced is visually estimating how much you should take of a substance active in the micrograms. this is less silly sounding but MUCH dumber irl. if anyone was it was a miscommunication. certainly no one was injecting things into their eyes.

literally the second post in the thread has this quote:

Henry Huxley posted:

Just ordered. Can someone explain to me how this eyeballing is done? [...] No, do you use a solvent? Do you jam it under the eyelid? This isn’t really that obvious for someone who normally doesn’t take drugs with his eyeballs.

and

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Oh Jesus. I had exactly two beers with some eyeballed phenaz on Sunday night. All I remember is hanging out with my roommate, listening to music, and playing video games.

I don't remember this, but I woke up from my benzo sleep for a little while on Monday morning (8:30, according to my computer) and went on eBay. I used the Buy It Now option for an Apple 3GS 16GB unlocked/jailbroken iPhone for $700!! gently caress! It looks like I didn't pay for it, though (or maybe I tried to and didn't have enough in my account), so I'm going to try and get out of it.

iPhones are sorta cool and it makes sense that I'd want one, but I also placed a $50$100.00 bid on a Vose & Sons Antique Grand Upright Piano and only lost because it wasn't enough for the reserve. Yeah. I've never known how to play an instrument in my life, don't have room for a piano, and a million other reasons why that bid was a bad idea.

Apparently, after placing those bids, I went back to sleep for another 8 or 9 hours.

I really can't get over how supremely retarded all of this was. And the topper is that the phenaz afterglow lasts so long that I didn't realize any of this until 36 hours after it happened!

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

HondaRider271 posted:

What pisses me off is the whole Of Mice and Men thing that was pulled. "Oh don't worry Lenny, nothing is gonna happen" "Will there be rabbits?" "Yeah you can take care of the rabbits " Then bam shotgun to the head.

It's not as if you could have been forthright and said "yeah we may have to demod you, here's the discussion if you'd like to represent yourself." Or at least waited for a reply so I could say "gently caress no don't tell them I stepped down, that's bullshit." No, just throw me under the bus in hopes it will calm people down, say nothing at all while people are on their witchhunt, then decide in secret to remove me as a mod and tell people I stepped down. Great, what a wonderful experience this has been. Far be it from me to expect perhaps a courtesy PM asking for my input. Perhaps I would have agreed to step down in a public fashion, that wouldn't look so incriminating and terrible. Or perhaps we could have figured something out that would result in a punishment/ban but not a

lmao