Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

anroid users: just have the latest and greatest model of non-anroid phone always on standby when you get tired of your piece of poo poo phone being a piece of poo poo

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I haven't paid attention to the android ecosystem for years at this point but it still seems like it's driven entirely by novelty for the sake of novelty, and if you just want to use a phone to use a phone and not worry about it you're still going Apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i only want phones that excite me. give me a phone where every screen transition is a star wipe and it has a super cool lightsaber noise when i lock it and it says DFOOOOIIIIDDDD when i get a text hell yeah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

it says DFOOOOIIIIDDDD when i get a text hell yeah
in case anyone doesn't know this was a real thing and people actually left it on that alert sound on purpose

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
those Casio calculator watches own, actually

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

new guy at work wears one and you know what? it's dope

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

i have one that i wear sometimes

i dont really use it. i just think it's cool

i think im gonna put it on now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i have one that i wear sometimes

i dont really use it. i just think it's cool

i think im gonna put it on now

i take my watch off when im going to be at the computer for a long time

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

i take my watch off when im going to be at the computer for a long time

same

btw you all can use the dell version of ms your phone on any non dell computer and text/get notifications from iPhone

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anroid

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

in case anyone doesn't know this was a real thing and people actually left it on that alert sound on purpose

yeah they sure did.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

anroid users: just have the latest and greatest model of non-anroid phone always on standby when you get tired of your piece of poo poo phone being a piece of poo poo
I used to have the OPO and a company iPhone 6 at the same time. Threw the latter in the trash where it belongs the moment it was depreciated.

Android is a piece of poo poo but the only thing ios has on it is not selling out your data.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

people still defend android in 2022? lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i find it amazing that people post in yospos where android is constantly and rightfully dunked on every second or third post but hey they still Love The Phone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gentle Autist posted:

i find it amazing that people post in yospos where android is constantly and rightfully dunked on every second or third post but hey they still Love The Phone

wonder what the overlap is with liking elonglong

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i use a lot of google services (and i really ought to stop but that ship sailed a long time ago). i was thinking about getting into smart speakers and decided maybe it would be good to look at the android ecosystem given i use google apps and siri homepod doesn't work with most of those apps from what i can tell.

i thought - hey, maybe android is good now it's been around a long time. maybe if i stay away from gimmicky poo poo??? so i tried a decent spec phone that i picked out for my father in law to replace his phone from 2013 that's finally dying and it was still pretty bad. poo poo just stuttering on a stock phone with barely anything installed. they've had how long to fix anrdoid?? and it still sucks what the hell???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this huge turd still tastes like poo poo, what the hell?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
although google search has become much worse and they love to kill off products, in general i've found google apps are miles ahead of where they were a decade ago. i naively thought maybe anroid may have also improved (lol)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the only real issues android has in 2022 is the ongoing updating and privacy issues, and those are by and large by design

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the only real issues android has in 2022 is the ongoing updating and privacy issues, and those are by and large by design

Counterpoint: the android phone is bad

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cold on a Cob posted:

i use a lot of google services (and i really ought to stop but that ship sailed a long time ago).

it is never too late, and eventually you start getting emails from google like WE SEE YOU HAVENT LOGGED IN AND WERE GONNA DELETE YOUR LOCATION HISTORY, OOOOOH WOULDNT THAT BE SO BAD and that’s when you know you made it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

wasn't that sound just made using a macintalk voice? lol.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
android lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cold on a Cob posted:

i use a lot of google services (and i really ought to stop but that ship sailed a long time ago). i was thinking about getting into smart speakers and decided maybe it would be good to look at the android ecosystem given i use google apps and siri homepod doesn't work with most of those apps from what i can tell.

i thought - hey, maybe android is good now it's been around a long time. maybe if i stay away from gimmicky poo poo??? so i tried a decent spec phone that i picked out for my father in law to replace his phone from 2013 that's finally dying and it was still pretty bad. poo poo just stuttering on a stock phone with barely anything installed. they've had how long to fix anrdoid?? and it still sucks what the hell???

decent spec on androd doesn't really mean much, the two most polished are pixel>galaxy(the s version)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mediaphage posted:

wonder what the overlap is with liking elonglong

one is a car that kills you one is a phone that may run like poo poo, kinda different leagues lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Gentle Autist posted:

mom I keep making fun of them and they won't go away!!!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
heh, lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Celexi posted:

mom I keep making fun of them and they won't go away!!!!!

u mad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Celexi posted:

decent spec on androd doesn't really mean much, the two most polished are pixel>galaxy(the s version)

it was a samsung a53 5g but my comparison here is an iphone 8 so vOv

Apr 7, 2003

This but unironically

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This but unironically

:mods:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just lol that a "midrange phone" in 2022 has an octo-core cpu and 6 gb ram

lol. lmao

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

lol. lmao

one core for each clock app

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use a fitbit that work gave me. it's ok. i wish it looked more like a bracelet and less like a watch so i could wear one of my cool watches with it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my work phone is some kind of pixel and it's pretty good. ios is still better. having the fingerprint reader on the back owns (i don't actually remember if this one has that or not though). also the camera is better than the one on my iphone 8

i was gonna upgrade when the new iphones came out, but now ill probably wait until they release one with usb-c

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

lol. lmao

Anroid takes up a lot of ram thanks to being coded in Java lmao

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My pixel 3a has been out of support for a few months now. I bought it at release 3 years ago.

It's being replaced by an iPhone 7 (with a new battery), which still has support until the fall when the new iOS comes out (at which point, updating to an SE 2 is dead simple). Kinda looking forward to switching because I get my iTunes music back again.

I really like how easy it is to backup my iPhone. I have never tried to backup my Pixel 3a but I don't think it has any whole-device backup mechanism like the iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wbat I'm saying is that getting six years of support for a new phone is a better deal than just three years.