Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Maybe it's like, perestroika, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Danny popping acetaminophen (if I saw it correctly) I thought was going to end up leading to him getting fast-acting Martian liver warts or something

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't catch the label on the initial bottle but he pulled oxycodone and amphetamines from the medicine storage.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Data Graham posted:

Danny popping acetaminophen (if I saw it correctly) I thought was going to end up leading to him getting fast-acting Martian liver warts or something

It also had codeine on the label below acetaminophen, which led to him raiding the medicine cabinet when he ran out of that itchy nightmare fuel.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I must say the man who immediately wanted to defect to the people who had just burned his coworker alive in front of him for reaching for a phrasebook later turning out to be a stupid jackass felt like a very logical progression

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShowTime posted:

I haven't finished this episode, but I will tonight, and goddammit, that's not Texas, that's Amurica.

Also, this is the greatest teaser for a drunk, I love it and if Apple could shows as well as you, we'd pay 2x as much as we do now.

(no, I don't live in Texas, but I know a good drink. Also, really looking forward to tonight.)

Texas is its own thing and Shiner comes from Texas.

ShowTime posted:

Certain people, for sure, would cal that into question. But 95% other people don't. You know the phone you use is used by millions of others and made in an entirely different region, right?

I get that it's the cold war. But the cold war ended. Now your, well, everything, is made right under the USSR's umbrella.

Yeah but there are strict laws about who can work on space technology in the US. There are restrictions about how it can be exported. Maybe this is different since it's just the Russians paying to get access to their machinery and they are not actually buying anything for their own use.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
the first thanksgiving on mars ending in painful secrets being uncovered, a drunken fist fight, and sitcom level hijinks was so perfect. hi bob lol

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

blue squares posted:

Yeah I loving hated the politics in this. The most purestrained lib poo poo. If you’re pissing off both sides that means you’re being the adult in the room!
I don't think a gay Republican president inventing Don't Ask Don't Tell basically on-time was meant to be read as a triumph. More of a "dang, you could've done a thing but..."

it's interesting from our current perspective of complete political gridlock that their reason for acting as they did was "but my jobs bill!". how good could that jobs bill be, really?

Data Graham posted:

watching a bunch of martians go hard on the vodka in a cramped space made me anxious. I don't know what space party culture is like but if I had been without liquor for a month or more one shot is fine thanks

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sivart13 posted:

it's interesting from our current perspective of complete political gridlock that their reason for acting as they did was "but my jobs bill!". how good could that jobs bill be, really?
Her guy also mentioned (and seemed to emphasize) midterm elections coming up and re-election in 96.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sivart13 posted:

watching a bunch of martians go hard on the vodka in a cramped space made me anxious. I don't know what space party culture is like but if I had been without liquor for a month or more one shot is fine thanks

I was thinking about how much water you need to drink when you're slamming back liquor :ohdear:

bad idea to get drunk when you have tight water rations, they're gonna be so loving hungover

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Danielle subtly dumping her shot in a plant or whatever she did with it, and then chugging the whole bottle at the end, was pretty tight

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The entire point of this show is that investing in space led to huge benefits to humanity: technologically, scientifically, economically, and most importantly socially. Remember, this show posited that merely landing some women on the moon would advance women’s rights to the point where the operational, personnel, and political heads of NASA were all women in the 1980s.

By the end of this season gay rights will have been pushed beyond what happened in reality with Don’t Ask Don’t Tell happening around the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Comrade Fakename posted:

By the end of this season gay rights will have been pushed beyond what happened in reality with Don’t Ask Don’t Tell happening around the same time.

Ellen will implement "no gay, no play" where you can not play professional sports if you are not gay.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Comrade Fakename posted:

The entire point of this show is that investing in space led to huge benefits to humanity: technologically, scientifically, economically, and most importantly socially. Remember, this show posited that merely landing some women on the moon would advance women’s rights to the point where the operational, personnel, and political heads of NASA were all women in the 1980s.

you are no comrade of mine

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I'm pretty sure scientist by the 90s wouldn't react like that if a colleague came out.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

gohmak posted:

I'm pretty sure scientist by the 90s wouldn't react like that if a colleague came out.

Lol loving moron

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Her guy also mentioned (and seemed to emphasize) midterm elections coming up and re-election in 96.

I think they said they already lost seats in the 94 midterms

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gonna lol if Ellen floats a "oh wow my husband is gay what a shocking thing I'm learning right now for the first time" and that's the coverup that gets her.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Literally anyone thinking this is floating DADT as some sort of west wing / centrist compromise wonder just... stop watching TV.

They had some music going at the time is the only point in favour of this argument however

1. Husband suggested it, who has been since season 1 the "keep everything in the closet" dude even though she wanted to flirt with then idea of changing their lives. He has pushed her into politics and into bigger positions, even as she saw her out and proud ex lover living a happy life while she was stuck lying.

2. The numerous shots of her watching the TV looking despondent or the look on her face as she delivered the address make it clear she loving hates it

3. The show has consistently put social/political points on socially progressive points going faster than in real life, or making points with characters. tons of women in leadership positions, first women and black astronauts in space/moon going faster, woman president, immigrant acceptance with Aleida, etc. When things are bad it has explicitly called it out as "BAD".

4. The goddamn episode started with the black gay man looking at the Martian landscape and smiling, and ended with the black gay man who we are talking about looking out on a land millions of miles from home and realising that it loving changes nothing. How ANYONE can look at that and say "lol libby poo poo endorsing DADT" just again, stop watching TV if you can't read basic cues

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It was less stirring emotional music and more "hey we've hit on a clever longshot solution" music. Which is still inappropriate given that it's exactly the same solution as in the real world, but I don't think they were going for that. The show is fairly liberal but it's in the 2022 sense, not the 1996 sense.

Speaking of which, I don't know if I can foresee a big timeskip happening at the end of this season. We're setting up a lot of plot to pay off in four episodes. Maybe there's a couple of months or a year, but there's only so much old age makeup they can put on these characters and none of them have future astronaut grandchildren yet.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The age thing is a problem moving forward (go go cyborg Ed!!!), but season 2 had a lot of plot lines around the mid-late episodes and it wasn't until the finale that the plot lines not only met each other but were also resolved. Or in the case of Margo left as a teaser for season 3, but either way.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i appreciate the two gay guys poo poo talking larry at the end but this same "perfect compromise" bullshit goes down bad when trans people are at legitimate risk of having our existence bartered over in the same way in 2022/24.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rappaport posted:

The age thing is a problem moving forward (go go cyborg Ed!!!), but season 2 had a lot of plot lines around the mid-late episodes and it wasn't until the finale that the plot lines not only met each other but were also resolved. Or in the case of Margo left as a teaser for season 3, but either way.

NASA discovers the secret to youthful rejuvenation as part of research meant to make astronauts more resistant to damage from cosmic radiation and low gravity, all the old people go back to season 1 appearances :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just caught up on episode 5 and wanted to sneak into the thread to say :lol: at "How inspiring!" before the cut to credits :allears:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I decided overnight that Will is 100% going to be staying on Mars. I think they said the mission was scheduled for 2 years? Well he can't be discharged if he never goes home. Plenty of time for them to set up a permanent base with the full lake of water they've found. Echos Ed doing the same back in season 1 as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're about to find Water, and pretty sure Danny counts as thr first alien life on Mars, time to party.

lol at Ed flying over to the habitat like he's geriatric space dad flying around in his space walker.

"How do you like working with my daughter?"
"..."
*Ed gestures*
"...Who!?"

So many funny buts this episode.

EvilHawk posted:

I decided overnight that Will is 100% going to be staying on Mars. I think they said the mission was scheduled for 2 years? Well he can't be discharged if he never goes home. Plenty of time for them to set up a permanent base with the full lake of water they've found. Echos Ed doing the same back in season 1 as well.

I assume he'll be one of a handful of defections to Helios.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

gohmak posted:

I'm genuinely curious how old you are

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

i appreciate the two gay guys poo poo talking larry at the end but this same "perfect compromise" bullshit goes down bad when trans people are at legitimate risk of having our existence bartered over in the same way in 2022/24.

By the end of the season Ellen will announce that actually DADT didn’t go far enough and will probably just completely lift the ban on gays in the military.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Do they have contraception with them in space? First thing I thought when Kelly and that dude started boning down is first space baby. Boom, new character to explore even further into space in the future.

Also please for the love of god somebody kill Danny ffs.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Do they have contraception with them in space? First thing I thought when Kelly and that dude started boning down is first space baby. Boom, new character to explore even further into space in the future.

Also please for the love of god somebody kill Danny ffs.

I was thinking yuck they are on water rations

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

gohmak posted:

I was thinking yuck they are on water rations

lmao, everyone floating slowly away from them during conversion because they reek of sex.

Edit: Also if she has a baby then technically she finds life on Mars :v:

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 16, 2022

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Riptor posted:

I'm genuinely curious how old you are

40. 90s were homophobic yeah but this show is making it seem like the 60s level. Science professionals wouldn't act like that. My mother was a CDC Epidemiologist 96-.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 16, 2022

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tokin opposition posted:

you are no comrade of mine

The Russian is acting like a pron actress about to back out of scene because she found out the co-star has done gay work.

Director- "But he tested clean two weeks ago"

"Anything could have happened in to weeks"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Danielle is legitimately the only competent person on Mars and one of like 3 actually competent people in the show (Aleida and Bill are the other two, Will's alright maybe, maybe) and God it must be so frustrating for her having to deal with everybody else's bullshit. Even Margo has fallen, which is sad to see, even a possible happy ending with Sergei (as unlikely as that now appears) which I once wanted more than anything doesn't really justify a lot of the bullshit she has allowed to happen this season.

Ed being a giant hypocrite and a selfish rear end in a top hat is entirely in keeping with his character so I can't be too mad about that, but him leaving NASA because he was sick of nerds running everything* only to go straight to happily helping the Soviets keep a lake of water on Mars secret so his company can profit from it..... :argh:

Wayne: Karen, find the movie of your life, what do you want to be?
Karen: Nestle.
Wayne: Then go be N.... wait, what?

* Turns out Margo was absolutely right and Danielle was 100% the best person for the job, and beat Ed to Mars despite all that so-called "in-the-moment" stuff that Molly tried to claim she wouldn't be able to deal with as well as him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If the show actually thought it was a perfect compromise it wouldn’t have called it a perfect compromise

Or done it in episode 7 of a season-long arc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watch the Russians play both sides off against each other. Red planet Mars, baby.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

* Turns out Margo was absolutely right and Danielle was 100% the best person for the job, and beat Ed to Mars despite all that so-called "in-the-moment" stuff that Molly tried to claim she wouldn't be able to deal with as well as him.

Danielle hosed things only slightly less than the Soviets did. If not for the fact that Helios is nearby her rush to get to surface would have killed both the remaining US and Soviet crew members stranded on Mars with no way home.

As it is they were lucky that landing blind only hosed the engines, a few few back and the ship could have been torn in two on landing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair, if Helios hadn't been nearby she wouldn't have felt the pressure to push for the surface when the dust started clearing at the last second, and just gone around for another orbit. If she hadn't had the Soviets onboard too (and lost two of her own crew in the process of saving them, which again only happened because Helios hosed everything up) then the Habitation Pods would have been set up with the right amount of food/water and space for the original complement.

Every step of the way she has had other people's dumb poo poo getting in the way of her doing her job at a high level. There was the drama over the Command of the flight from Molly jumping the gun which itself was based on a pissing match with Margo. Then her old friend basically throws a tantrum, tells her she only got the job because of affirmative action, then bails to join a private firm which pushes up the schedule from 4 years to 2. Her co-pilot falls off the wagon and she does the right thing by grounding him, and Helios (Ed specifically) immediately picks him up despite her laying out exactly why the old school bullshit "let's sweep alcohol and drug abuse under the carpet!" mentality couldn't continue.

But she does the work, she assembles her crew, she even adds Ed's daughter to the crew and doesn't just dismiss her as "Ed's daughter", taking onboard her argument for why her credentials beat that of the botanist they planned to take originally. She gets Sojourner up and out there, they prove that NASA and their nerds who don't have fighter pilot " balls" have more innovative tech than Helios when they deploy the solar sails, they're well-organized, competent, professional, and it's paying dividends. Then Helios and their bullshit flat management team override Ed's decision to save the Soviets (who are in this problem because they tried an Ed-style piece of bullshit that backfired on them) which leaves Danielle no choice but to do it instead, which she does without complaint even knowing it will likely mean they have no choice but to return to Earth.

Even then she's figuring out potential ways to salvage the trip and thinking on the fly like apparently Molly thought she wouldn't be capable of doing (by the way, Ed overriding Helios' command lockout comes thanks to one of those nerds he looks down on!), she keeps two crews together and everybody appears to be more than capable of working under her apart from the Russian commander who seems very much in the Ed mold, as the way they so casually got on immediately demonstrated. Even after making it to Mars, she has to deal with technical issues, the distraction caused by Will's revelation, and then she discovers the Soviets she saved and the private company that tried to stop her getting to Mars in the first place are icing NASA out to go divvy up a giant water resource together, and that Ed apparently had absolutely no issue with going along with that and had no intention of even giving her a heads-up despite a seemingly pathological hatred of Soviets up to that point in his life.

Basically, Danielle owns, and deserves better, is what I'm saying :colbert:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I cosign the above, well put.

Pretty sure the music during Larry's coming up with Uniform First (what a great name) was there to lift him up just in time for the final scene, where he's clearly about to get wrecked. For all I know, the writers are dogged centrists who took great delight writing that scene, but the dramatic function is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just made the connection that Molly is the same actress that played Penny on :lost: and my mind is a bit blown.