Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for expecting my (f20’s) bf(m20’s) to stop peeing in bottles and leaving them in our room?

quote:

Title basically says it all. He won’t stop pissing in bottles/cups. I’ve caught him now 3 or 4 times. I’m not talking 1 bottle, I’m talking like 4-5 bottles in 1 area covered up and hidden. Powerade bottles, smartwater bottles, everything down to a styrofoam cup. It disgusts me. The ammonia molecules floating in our room that we breathe in with every inhale make me cringe. We’ve lived together for about 2 years but this just started when we moved in with other roommates and have our bathroom located upstairs. I already moved our Christmas tree because originally he was putting it in the window sill and now I just found it behind the Christmas tree box. This especially bothers me because I love that Xmas tree and would really like to keep it pee free for many Decembers to come. Is this just a male thing???? Why does he think this is okay??? He specially stops me from cleaning up because I think he knows I’ll find it which is exactly what happened to today. I’ve been recovering from a surgery so he blames it on that, but even before my surgery he still didn’t want me to clean. Any help is useful. This is 100% serious I am not joking despite its outlandish demeanor. He says it isn’t a big deal and I smoke nicotine so I shouldn’t worry about what’s in my lungs, which is fair, but something about this really irks me. AITA for expecting him to stop this nasty behavior? (And no he doesn’t have a health problem, this only started when we moved here)

TLDR: my bf won’t stop peeing in bottles and leaving them in our room. I’ve asked him to stop multiple times. AITA for expecting him to stop this nasty behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I like the idea of someone who is so determined to shovel together enough bullshit to build a hill to die on that they 110% commit to the cognitive dissonance of both "I am a world renowned restaurant expert" and "I simply cannot conceive of a circumstance in which the waiter says 'who ordered the fettucini?' and the guest is expected to remember what they ordered and say 'thats for me'"

E: ^^ eagerly awaiting the best of update "please stop asking me about other things my boyfriend does, he is a great boyfriend except for this one (maybe tiny?) thing" followed up by a legal advice thread "so I realised my boyfriend is literally just 6 feet of pigshit stuffed in a hessian sack, threw it away, and now his mother is suing me for child support"

boofhead fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 16, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I do not think the stepdaughter trying to share an interest with their new step-parent is the same as a woman complaining her boyfriend doesn't read the right kind of literature.

I'd try to get through it too but honestly trying and failing to read a book someone else likes doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat, and even if she had read it would they then like each other? It's a dipshit not trying very hard to do a thing that probably wouldn't fix a situation anyway, in the process being slightly annoying. Everyone's mad at each other about it because they already didn't like each other and this is a good excuse to be mad.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

TIFU learning sign language.

Update

lmao

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pride and Prejudice is really long and really boring, and it's about rich women fretting over which rich man they'll marry to be slightly more or less rich.

Reminds me of an article a while back by some woman complaining her boyfriend doesn't read enough 'literary fiction'. She never actually gave any examples of what books her boyfriend didn't read that she wanted him to, besides Jane Austen, though examples of what he apparently reads included Ursula LeGuin and China Mielville.

Yeah I remember that article, made me laugh at loud multiple times. The author self-identifies as a communist but seemed to be looking down on her boyfriend for reading The Jakarta Method, a book explaining how the Americans supported the mass murder of Indonesian communists which to me seems much more valuable to read than a novel about posh people loving.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm picturing this poster as the navy seal copypasta guy except he's boasting about having over 300 confirmed dining experiences (all of them at Pizza Hut)

quote:

In all of my vast experience at restaurants not once have I ever came across a table like the one you described
Must be from the US, it's common enough at some restaurants (especially like Yum Cha etc)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

pentyne posted:

motorcycle guys are just horse girls with a higher change of getting killed via their hobby.

This is a ways back but I'm not sure what gave you the idea that horses are a safe hobby except maybe not much exposure to the communities? For all the mates I had that hurt themselves through explosive hijinx, guns or dirt bikes, the more seriously injured schoolmates were all girls and horse accidents (except a car accident). Three paralyzed in five years of high school that I knew about, two neighbours and a close friend.

The biggest divisive blowup between my oldest sister and our old man was she took my youngest brother for a ride without telling our parents. He fell off and the horse kicked hitting my bro in the head but only a glancing blow that knocked him out for a bit. My sister convinced my bro to not tell dad but he would refuse to go anywhere near horses in a way that made my nurse mum realise something was up, question him and he spilled the beans.

Horses can be fun but by golly they are not a hobby for the complacent.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We have family-style here too, but it is definitely the exception rather than the rule. The commenter is just a dipshit who thinks that if things weren't done at his one restaurant or the Denny's he went to 300 times then it's not real anywhere.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't count how many times I've been to a family-style restaurant and we've filtered our orders through one person, be it friends, coworkers or family. Usually the one with the best projection because we want to make it easier on the waiter.

I have a room temperature voice. Rabble of day nor silence of night, you shall not hear me.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If you're a parasite who gets free dining you should probably just be very silent when your kind caretakers give you free food

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Electric Wrigglies posted:

This is a ways back but I'm not sure what gave you the idea that horses are a safe hobby except maybe not much exposure to the communities? For all the mates I had that hurt themselves through explosive hijinx, guns or dirt bikes, the more seriously injured schoolmates were all girls and horse accidents (except a car accident). Three paralyzed in five years of high school that I knew about, two neighbours and a close friend.

The biggest divisive blowup between my oldest sister and our old man was she took my youngest brother for a ride without telling our parents. He fell off and the horse kicked hitting my bro in the head but only a glancing blow that knocked him out for a bit. My sister convinced my bro to not tell dad but he would refuse to go anywhere near horses in a way that made my nurse mum realise something was up, question him and he spilled the beans.

Christ, it's easy enough to protect yourself from a horse, just yell "Ants!"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sorry, what?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not tipping and reporting a waiter to her manager?

quote:

I live in the U.S., so unfortunately service workers rely on tips to survive. I worked in food service for years and used to be someone that relied on tips, so unless I'm treated like literal poo poo I tip regardless of how good the service is.

Today I was flying home from a trip with my husband and 2 year old. After getting through security we stopped to get a bite to eat at a restaurant by our terminal. I ordered a bloody mary (hubby doesn't drink) as well as a turkey wrap for us to share and a kids veggie plate for our kid. We finish eating and I've only had a couple sips of my bloody mary when our kid gets fussy so my husband takes her for a walk out of the cafe while I pay and finish my drink. We still have a good hour before boarding, so I'm slowly sipping my drink and starting to go through work emails I'll need to catch up on come Monday. A waitress comes up and grabs my half full drink and when I tell her I'm not done, she tells me that she can't serve pregnant women.

For context, I'm not pregnant nor am I trying to get pregnant. I'm not skinny, but I'm also not overweight. I'm 5'6" and about 140 lb and have been struggling to lose the last 10-15 lbs of baby weight. I definitely don't look pregnant, I just have a bit of a baby "pouch" that many pregnant people have even years after giving birth. I told the waiter that I wasn't pregnant and that if she insisted on taking my drink I wouldn't pay for it. She said (very condescendingly) "sweetie that's not how restaurants work. Apparently I care more about your baby than you do." This pissed me off because not only did I feel body shamed, but she implied I was a bad parent. I asked to speak to the manager and she gave me a smirk and said, "whatever you say".

She grabbed the manager and I told him what went down and he was super embarrassed. He apologized for his employee and offered me a new drink for free and to comp our entire meal. Ordinarily I'd say no to the comped meal, but it was over $50 cuz airport food is stupid expensive. So, the manager brings my drink and then drags his employee to a corner of the bar area and starts going off on her. I will say I think the manager's behavior was inappropriate and he should've talked to his employee off the restaurant floor, but that's beside the point. After I finish my drink and go up to the manager and ask if tips are pooled or if they go to the individual server. He said the tips were pooled, so I chose not to tip because I didn't want a cent of my money going to someone that body shamed and infantalized me. The rest of the trip home went fine and when we got home I met up with some friends for "welcome home" drinks and when I told them what happened one of them got so pissed she started yelling at me then shut down and left. My other friends and my husband said I did nothing wrong but in retrospect I think I may have overreacted and possibly projected my own body image issues on that server.

im sure i can trust this thread with a tipping story

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Was… was she going to tip if they weren’t pooled?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I think people who are subjected to brazen illegal discrimination don't have to tip the people who discriminated against them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Was… was she going to tip if they weren’t pooled?

I think it was a different waitress than the one serving them, who just wandered over to shame a customer over a made-up thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for not tipping and reporting a waiter to her manager?

quote:

one of them got so pissed she started yelling at me then shut down and left

quote:

im sure i can trust this thread with a tipping story

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

When I took the class to get my server's permit, the instructor told us that we weren't legally allowed to refuse to serve drinks to someone on the basis of being pregnant. He did say that we could decide that they were intoxicated after drinking very little and cut them off on that basis. I'm not sure if that's true in other US states though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think it was a different waitress than the one serving them, who just wandered over to shame a customer over a made-up thing.

Oh yeah duh, that’s on me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Das Boo posted:

I can't count how many times I've been to a family-style restaurant and we've filtered our orders through one person, be it friends, coworkers or family. Usually the one with the best projection because we want to make it easier on the waiter.

I have a room temperature voice. Rabble of day nor silence of night, you shall not hear me.

My wife has a "room temperature" voice too, it's really weird. It's less that her voice isn't loud or projects, but it seems almost like the ambient noise of a room will amplify to swallow her words.

A vent powered on at our wedding when she said her half of the vows.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Many years ago when I worked at a zoo, I remember being told quite succinctly that I would need to be more leery of all the hoofstock animals in the big cats. One reason is that you were never in the same enclosure as the big cats, they were always in lockdown, but hope stuck animals we tend to think of as docile and cute because we eat them. Seeing as these are wild animals who regularly and naturally evade or can kill big predators, they have absolutely no problems taking down some naked apes.

I was far more leery of going into the sable antelope yard then I was with pretty much any other animal.

AITA for denying a paternity test?

quote:

I've stated on a couple of post that I'm currently pregnant but for context I'll add it again

I (22F) and currently 26 weeks pregnant with my rainbow baby. My husband (26M) is over the moon about this considering our first is a boy (both sides of the family is full of girls). For the duration of our relationship I've been faithful throughtout it all, I cannot however say the same about him but we've grown past it. Currently as of now I am the only person who is working and gone for majority of the day, he's not one to pry into my every action but will have a concept of when I should be somewhere and realistically how long I should take. It doesn't bother me and I somewhat enjoy his concerns when I'm not home or when I'll be home. Recently while we were taking about a birthing plan he mentioned to me about getting a paternity test done on our child, I was taken a back by the comment but I thought he was joking until he told me he wasn't and that he will be getting a test done. I was admittedly offended by this statement and told him why on earth he would get a test done, he replied by stating "I don't want to raise a child that isn't mine."

I started accusing him of not trusting me and how he could he do this when I've been faithful to him. We both got into an argument and I threw the past in his face to which he got silent and walked out of the house. He came back later but gave me the cold shoulder until he spoke to me and told me that if I have nothing to hide then I should allow the test to be done. I again refused and asked him how he could think I cheated on him, he reminded me that I'm gone a lot and don't come back home until nightfall so he has more than enough reason to think I'm not being truthful. This hurt me and asked him to leave me alone to gather my thoughts.

I really don't know what to do, part of me believes that I should get the test done but another part of me thinks I shouldn't. I told him in the end that I refuse to get one and that if he loves me he'll trust me on this. He eventually agreed but not without the warning of a divorce if the child doesn't look a anything like him. I'm pretty heartbroken but I have faith that things will work out, but AITA?

How many times has he cheated, I wonder!

Added paragraph breaks

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for denying a paternity test?

How many times has he cheated, I wonder!

Added paragraph breaks

here's OP's prior post, showing that he surely is a keeper, that one:

Is my Step Mother right about my husband?

quote:

Not sure if this post is in the right place but I'll still tell the story and move it if it need to be moved. I've been having this question in my head since I came back from my dad's renewal wedding. So I'm gonna see how other people feel about this.

I'm a 22F (currently pregnant) and my husband is a 26M, we currently live together and have been going strong for 7 years and our marriage has been going good altogether. I joined the military thinking it was gonna help with our life, unfortunately my husband lost his job around the time I left for basic(this is important for later). It has been me for 2 years paying all of the expenses for the both of us and I will say it hasn't been easy as I had been used to us sharing responsibility. While I figured giving him the space he needs to help him mentally would be something good, I will say Ive had my thoughts on why he wasn't helping liked he promised. After discussing with him on this he promised me he would get a job when we move (were moving in a week as of writing this).

So here's where my question originates from. My father had invited me and my husband to his re-wedding with my step mother. Now I've have been bombarded with questions around the financial situation regarding my husband and I. Its never been a pretty subject since it gets brought up so often that it makes me and my husband upset, mainly my husband. It even ruined the baby suprise when I told my dad cause he knew my step mother would be even more concerned with our financial situation than the fact we are pregnant. I understand why anyone would be concerned about how we are going to afford anything especially with a child on the way but it was something me and my husband had planned months before actually going through with it. While we were on the trip my dad pulled me and my husband aside to talk to us about the future and mainly if my husband was getting a job, only because my step mother was pressing him to ask us. I could see it was eating at my dad and he told us that he really only cared about my happiness, but my step mother wanted to make sure we could stay afloat and even went as far as asking my dad to ask my husband why he didnt have a job. It got pretty awkward after that and basiclly ruined the trip for my husband. My husband told me later that he doesn't really want to be around my dad's family anymore if this is how they talk about him behind his back and if they had to use my dad like this to talk for them then they must not really like him.

Im completely lost on who to really side with on this. Im supporting my husband and not really on speaking terms with my step mother. I love my dad and to use him like that was crossing a line for me. But at the same time I've been wondering if they were right about what they said to us considering the stress that has build upon me is a lot and my husband can see I'm falling apart. So I don't know who right in this situation. If anyone has more of a insight on this then I would love to discuss other options on the matter.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mx. posted:

here's OP's prior post, showing that he surely is a keeper, that one:

Is my Step Mother right about my husband?

quote:

22F (currently pregnant) and my husband is a 26M, we currently live together and have been going strong for 7 years

Gross

even worse, the family was in on it:

quote:

Yes we got together at a young age and most people have assumed that this was a grooming relationship that turned into him controling me but after talking about it we decidedthat we both mutually liked each other and took things slow. My mother and father had met with him and talked with him, they actually were both okay with the situation and genuinely liked him since he was working towards a goal which got delayed because of his injury from a previous job.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 16, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ewwwwwww.

AITA for stopping attending my husband's softball games?

quote:

My (26F) husband (31M) loves softball. He generally loves sports and is competitive, but his friend group created a softball league that has grown fairly large- so he plays with them to have fun/ exercise. (The league is just for fun and only recreational). I had no problem with this until I realized just how much he loves to play. When we got married, we planned for a 10 day honeymoon, and my husband begged me to cut it in half the day before our wedding because he found out the league was starting the season during our honeymoon And wanted to support his team. I was incredibly hurt that he wanted to cut our honeymoon in half to play softball with his friends and felt that he was making them and the game a priority over me. I told him this and he still begged me throughout the week of our honeymoon to let him go. Eventually I gave up and we cut the honeymoon short but he felt guilty afterwards and opted not to go play. We spent the second half of our honeymoon at home.

As I got to know the friends my husband plays softball with better, I started to dislike them. One friend on the team encouraged my husband to postpone his elbow surgery in order to play softball. My husband listened to him even though I was not comfortable and felt that playing could worsen his elbow injury. He refused to go to the doctor to at least validate that playing would not negatively affect his elbow. I also found out that the manager of the team gossiped heavily about us while we were dating which caused some awful lies to be spread about my husband. I really didn't want to be around them anymore since it was obvious they didn't really care about my husband or were his real friends.

Another team member's wife was my one friend to keep my company while I went with my husband to the softball games but she and her husband ended up divorcing (long story), so I had no one there to keep me company anymore.

For all these reasons, (not feeling like a priority, not liking his friends on the team, and feeling lonely at games) I told my husband I did not feel comfortable going with him to the games anymore. He became very upset and told me he feels like I'm making him choose between Softball and nothing. I assured him that's not true and that he can play whenever he wants and I don't feel it's my place to "take away" something that he loves so much. It's just that I don't feel comfy being there anymore. I just feel sad. He still doesn't like that I don't want to be there and feels that I am not supporting him.

AITA for not supporting my husband by going to his softball games?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Really thought that was gonna be quidditch.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok she absolutely needs to spill the beans about the "vicious rumors" the coach started about the husband but not about her. I'm betting they were that he was cheating and the twist is that he actually was.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I know we just got a new one but:

quote:

r/relationships:I love that Xmas tree and would really like to keep it pee free

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Really thought that was gonna be quidditch.

Me too

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I think it's a shame that person can't read one book to bond with their stepdaughter. It's a very good book! If they wanted to bond with the daughter over an interest she has then they've pretty clearly shown they absolutely don't care about her interest at all.

When I was reading books in a day easily, even old books with antiquated language, that book stopped me from reading for like a week.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I hate every single character in Pride and Prejudice and ever single scene.

It's like someone sat down and scientifically calculated how to write a novel about people and things I could literally not give less of a poo poo about.

edit: I say this as someone who read Moby Dick when he was 10 with a dictionary sitting next to him the whole time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, obviously you should be making every effort to connect with your kids over things they like, but...whoof...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Brawnfire posted:

My wife has a "room temperature" voice too, it's really weird. It's less that her voice isn't loud or projects, but it seems almost like the ambient noise of a room will amplify to swallow her words.

A vent powered on at our wedding when she said her half of the vows.

YEAH. I have no idea what to do about it. Even acting classes didn't help, there's just something about our voice quality that gets consumed by the environment.

And sorry about her vows, but that's also really funny. :v:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Das Boo posted:

YEAH. I have no idea what to do about it. Even acting classes didn't help, there's just something about our voice quality that gets consumed by the environment.

And sorry about her vows, but that's also really funny. :v:

Imagining a comedy bit where a vent powers on every time she opens her mouth.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Or a fan turns on, or an electric car drives past.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I have a similar issue but the other way round. I lose pretty much anybody's voice if there's background noise. One of the reasons I dislike parties, so many people talking I can't separate out one thread even if they're standing right in front of me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's like someone sat down and scientifically calculated how to write a novel about people and things I could literally not give less of a poo poo about.

edit: I say this as someone who read Moby Dick when he was 10 with a dictionary sitting next to him the whole time.

"Call me Megillah Gorilla".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
"I just don't know what to do with myself."
VRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMM
"That was beautiful, Margaret. Thank you."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Collapsing Farts posted:

If you're a parasite who gets free dining you should probably just be very silent when your kind caretakers give you free food

I'm reminded again of the 'parasitus', the role in Roman society for basically an indefinite houseguest who in turn for room and board would perform basic services and endure humiliation, basically a full-time sitcom wacky housemate.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Have you ever read Wuthering Heights? I think I'd read P&P several times over that read that again. Just pretend Kate Bush made up a totally original story for the song.

(Moby Dick is great, if only for the Ishmael and Queequeg spooning scene and Melville unceremoniously killing off the dude who was supposed to be a major character when he realised the book was going other places.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat, from what I was reading I thought P&P must have been like 4000 pages or something, but it's like 400. I've read piece of poo poo fantasy novels I didn't even like longer than that, I would read that for my step kid even if it was the most boring poo poo ever.