Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Doktor Avalanche posted:

"democracy is on the ballot"
this democracy thing seems to be a very unstable form of rule if it's on the ballot every four years

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

the white hand posted:

AEI :laffo: that's right ruy, let it allllll out

look at this

that's what you get, clown who's been talking themself into believing this wasn't all dead on arrival many months ago

imagine belief

It's amazing how naive someone would have to be to directly work with people like congressional Democrats and still think that they might pass any sort of non-trivial climate change legislation.

I should collect all these names and send them scam e-mails.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

one of my favorite ways to antagonize libs is to bait them into the:

"but if you don't vote for Democrats then it'll be YOUR FAULT when A FASCIST CHEETO is in the White House"
"drat if it's that important, maybe they should cater to my interests"
"No, none of your stuff is workable or important"
"Huh okay guess they don't need my vote at all then"
"THEY DESPERATELY NEED IT! THERE'S GONNA BE A FRICKIN CHEETO IN THE WHITE HOUSE!"
"drat they should do something to earn my vote if I'm so important."
"NO ALL YOUR WANTS AND NEEDS ARE UNWORKABLE GARBAGE"

cycle.

A related fun one is:
"national elections aren't gonna matter once Republicans get enough state houses to get an article v convention going"
"lol that's not important, no one's ever done it and there aren't rules or process or anything"
"huh okay guess you guys don't need my vote anyway since there's nothing to worry about"
"A FASCIST CHEETO WILL BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE IF YOU DON'T"

if you want a full yosemite sam tantrum add on:

"actually if i think about it, trump got a new kind of vaccine out in record time, made sure everyone could get it, and he sent me a good-sized check, trump was pretty good for me..."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I legit don't understand why the libs love term limits. You can't possibly believe both that FDR was your favorite president and also term limits are good, term limits were literally invented to make sure another FDR couldn't happen.

If you honestly believe that our electoral system is democratic, then disallowing the voters to choose who they want is inherently undemocratic. If the system results in popular results, then there is no need to worry about someone being too popular.
being popular is by definition anti-democratic.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Libs think the lesson of Huey Long is that it's dangerous to let someone build a power base, and not, like get a better body guard.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

libs i know that haven't cracked yet are huffing the "surely the american people will care about january 6th hearings and abortion, right? right??" copium but even they don't seem to really believe it
A majority of Americans want abortion to be legal and probably even a majority give a half-hearted poo poo about Jan 6, but a platform of "vote for us for the next thirty years and we'll whine about Jan 6 forever and try to think of good excuses to do nothing about women's rights" isn't going to cut it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Doktor Avalanche posted:

the right wing lunatics were right, obama really did destroy america
"how's that hopey changey stuff workin out for ya" is the quote of the century

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I remember when McCain vs Obama was the “most important election in history”

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

I remember when McCain Romney vs Obama was the “most important election in history”

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
in retrospect that i voted at all after my first time in 2000 means i was as stupid as i often claim to be

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

drat, maybe the Dems should do something then.

They don't owe you anything. Grow up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder what the last election not to be the most important one was. Like when was the messaging : nah bro this one's a wash it's whatever

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what the last election not to be the most important one was. Like when was the messaging : nah bro this one's a wash it's whatever

2000, before all the recount stuff started. Bush and Gore were pitched as being basically the same.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Why Democrats are begging Trump to start 2024 right now

Lmao does every democratic operative have brain damage or

quote:

Campaigns and officials at major Democratic outfits are planning to capture the anticipated cash windfall that would come their way should Trump announce he’s making another run at the White House.

Oh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WampaLord posted:

2000, before all the recount stuff started. Bush and Gore were pitched as being basically the same.

were they? I remember the criticism but was that “official”?

I was in middle school and all I really remember is Al gore = environment but he didn’t say anything about that and social security “lockbox” instead of privatization.

it’s also hard to look at 2000 without thinking “well, we wouldn’t have invaded iraq. probably”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gores environmentalism didnt really come out until after the election with an inconvenient truth

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I was in middle school and all I really remember is Al gore = environment but he didn’t say anything about that and social security “lockbox” instead of privatization.

it’s also hard to look at 2000 without thinking “well, we wouldn’t have invaded iraq. probably”

The only real distinction I remember being made between them was "Bush is dumb" vs "Gore is boring", everything else came out after the votes were cast. The vibe was definitely "eh, pick whichever one you want, they're basically the same"

Peak End of History mentality, basically.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

it was before I could vote, and I'm medicare-old lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

papa horny michael posted:

Bin Salman has stated that he grew up playing video games.[277]

Those fuckers bought SNK. Now if I wanna play the new King of Fighters or Metal Slug I'm giving the Saudis money.

Piracy is the only moral option I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

gores environmentalism didnt really come out until after the election with an inconvenient truth

“earth in the balance” was 1992

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Still as true now as five decades ago :rubby:

Chris James 2 has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jul 16, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

five decades.

half a century of this bullshit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It was Mark Twain before and for sure somebody between them chronicling all of this, but it's been the same song for a long time.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

if you go back and look at eg snl and other coverage of the time, it was a running joke in the debates that gore and bush actually agreed on pretty much everything so it didn't really matter who won

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I legit don't understand why the libs love term limits. You can't possibly believe both that FDR was your favorite president and also term limits are good, term limits were literally invented to make sure another FDR couldn't happen.

If you honestly believe that our electoral system is democratic, then disallowing the voters to choose who they want is inherently undemocratic. If the system results in popular results, then there is no need to worry about someone being too popular.

it's very important that we protect democracy so that we can have more of this:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1548339454900768770

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

in hindsight, Nixon might have been the lesser of the two evils in 1960, considering how, over the next 62 years, the Republicans became overt fascists and the Democrats became lovely middle managers who can't govern.

oh well. So it goes.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3dvbM6Pias

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

evilpicard posted:

Why Democrats are begging Trump to start 2024 right now

Lmao does every democratic operative have brain damage or

Oh

https://i.imgur.com/0WYsVlk.mp4

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I am firmly convinced that Trump is not going to win the nomination. He may be the only major candidate in the conceivable field who could lose to Biden (again), he will likely be fighting felony charges by then, and I do believe the GOP primary voters are going to want to win the election.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

I am firmly convinced that Trump is not going to win the nomination. He may be the only major candidate in the conceivable field who could lose to Biden (again), he will likely be fighting felony charges by then, and I do believe the GOP primary voters are going to want to win the election.

Syq

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Trump will win by the largest margin in history if he chooses to run. The presidency is his, he needs just reach out and take it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Venomous posted:

in hindsight, Nixon might have been the lesser of the two evils in 1960, considering how, over the next 62 years, the Republicans became overt fascists and the Democrats became lovely middle managers who can't govern.

oh well. So it goes.

i don't agree that nixon beating JFK would have stopped the movement conservatives from taking over the republicans. all the big anticommunist oil money was already reshaping the party, and barry goldwater for example was already established by 1960. the only thing stopping them from overtly trying to redirect the part prior to 1960 was eisenhower's overwhelming popularity.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

I am firmly convinced that Trump is not going to win the nomination.

:shuckyes:

quote:

He may be the only major candidate in the conceivable field who could lose to Biden (again)

quote:

, he will likely be fighting felony charges by then

quote:

and I do believe the GOP primary voters are going to want to win the election.

Oh fr?

I saw this and also laughed 😂

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1548029931875053569?t=SzZbAz00mcuDu8FehkT5QQ&s=19

Lmao democrats are gonna lose the union vote

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
they've already lost Hispanics and the youth vote, them losing unions will probably be enough to lose them both the House and Senate even with RVW

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

i don't agree that nixon beating JFK would have stopped the movement conservatives from taking over the republicans. all the big anticommunist oil money was already reshaping the party, and barry goldwater for example was already established by 1960. the only thing stopping them from overtly trying to redirect the part prior to 1960 was eisenhower's overwhelming popularity.

If Ike didn’t run we’d probably have President Robert Taft and the whole thing probably would’ve started a decade earlier. Plenty of Americans had Got Theirs by the 50’s and were ready to throw the whole safety net in the garbage.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Platystemon posted:

Lots of deceptive cropping going on inside KSA embassies.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Lots of deceptive cropping going on inside KSA embassies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Abner Assington posted:

That’s Lo Pan before he gets married and becomes human again.

Joe Biden combing the earth for a 12 year old oriental (his words) girl with green eyes.