Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is it ever going to be possible to get one of the official switch n64 controllers? Anytime they come back in stock bots buy the entire stock in literal seconds. I hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it ever going to be possible to get one of the official switch n64 controllers? Anytime they come back in stock bots buy the entire stock in literal seconds. I hate this
They were in stock for almost 24 hours earlier this month.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

mandatory lesbian posted:

C-buttons over top the a and b buttons, that alone is pure garbage

What

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I don't remember the N64 controller being difficult but I can't remember using the d-pad even once

Mischief Makers uses the D-Pad so you hosed up in one way or another.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sorry but there can be only one perfect Game Cube controller:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve been meaning to beat FF9 for 20+ years, and thanks to the power of the Switch, today I finished it.

Now onto FF8!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
help

Only registered members can see post attachments!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
4 in the bottomish row can fill in one more square to the right. Then that cuts off the 3 and gives you some of your 5.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:cheerdoge:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Dugong posted:

It is kinda poo poo that vouchers can't be used to pre-order games that release after the voucher expiry date. Just wanna get some Splat 3.

Wish I could buy vouchers but alas NOA hates me

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

American McGay posted:

They were in stock for almost 24 hours earlier this month.

Really? drat. I had given up so I haven't checked since June.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s hosed up that Walmart isn’t doing the $49.94 physical Switch games on release day anymore. Thankfully Nintendo has stopped releasing games worth owning so it’s less of a problem.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I like the gamecube layout for buttons better.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

American McGay posted:

It’s hosed up that Walmart isn’t doing the $49.94 physical Switch games on release day anymore. Thankfully Nintendo has stopped releasing games worth owning so it’s less of a problem.

hosed up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I don't remember the N64 controller being difficult but I can't remember using the d-pad even once

The idea of the N64 controller was that it had two main configurations
-Games where you used the D-pad to move had you hold the left and right grips. This was used in 2D games like Kirby and Mischief Makers. The Z button and analog stick usually didn’t do anything since you couldn’t reach them like this.
-Games where you used the analog stick to move had you hold the right grip and the center grip. Again, can’t really reach the D-Pad or L-button like this so they weren’t really used for much in these games. The Z-button basically served as a substitute for the L-button.

At the beginning of the instruction manuals for N64 games there would always be a picture showing you which grip to use for that game.

More than anything the problem with this setup was how limiting it was.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 16, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh hey those two shooters are also included in the capcom arcade

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hey look! For only $450 you can make your closet furry Pokemon dreams come true!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffle! posted:

Hey look! For only $450 you can make your closet furry Pokemon dreams come true!

This is an epic gamer hell yeah

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Steve Yun posted:

Oh hey those two shooters are also included in the capcom arcade

hosed up that Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 doesn't include Mars Matrix and Dimahoo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
let me tell you about the taito collection not having Elevator Action Returns

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

bushisms.txt posted:

Copped thank you.

Progear is insanely hard to begin with, but I just ran across a post on system11 that indicates that the difficulty is set too high by default.

quote:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1474575#p1474575
If the US version is set to 4, it sounds like it's an oversight with how the defaults are configured on this release. As mentioned earlier in this thread, on CPS-2 arcade games, the Japanese version is generally set at 4 and the US version set at 2. For Giga Wing, the difficulty slider doesn't appear to do much if anything, but in Progear, the difficulty slider has a tremendous impact on bullet speeds.

In both Giga Wing and Progear, it appears the difficulty is configured so that the 2 in the US version is close or fairly equivalent to the 4 in the Japanese version (especially if you're scoring well and the game rank cranks up, I can't tell much of a difference if there is one). I suspect it's so that the US version can be cranked up higher overall (+6 compared to +4 in the JP ver). If this release defaults the US version to difficulty 4, then it's actually +2 harder than the JP ver! No wonder it's harder on the "defaults" on this compilation.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

Nintendo stays winning actually

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Progear is insanely hard to begin with, but I just ran across a post on system11 that indicates that the difficulty is set too high by default.

Thank god i thought I was just terrible

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

let me tell you about the taito collection not having Elevator Action Returns

Hamster probably doesn't have the rights for Elevator Action Returns unfortunately, City Connection does, hence their upcoming port of the Saturn version of the game for some reason. Which is a shame because City Connection ports are usually buggy as poo poo

https://twitter.com/iconoclast575/status/1519500654787665920

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 16, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

poo poo, didn't mean to double post

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

The N64 controller is superior to the GameCube controller in every way, but y’all ain’t ready for that convo.

Ah, that's why I read the Switch thread; for super hosed up takes like these. I'm not even hating on the N64 controller. It looks weird, but it's fine.

The GameCube controller outside of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, always felt super comfortable to me. And I still love the analogue triggers with the final 'click' for when you push all the way. Unf.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 16, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wii U pro controller is also much better than the Switch pro too. Sometimes new controllers are worse it happens, like the Saturn 3D controller being better than the Dreamcast controller

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waffle! posted:

Cut him open like a tauntaun and sleep inside

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Wildtortilla posted:

I’ve been meaning to beat FF9 for 20+ years, and thanks to the power of the Switch, today I finished it.

Now onto FF8!

Godspeed

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Mischief Makers uses the D-Pad so you hosed up in one way or another.

to my great shame, I'm 99% sure Mischief Makers was one of those games I only read about in nintendo power and dreamed of owning

idk why i never just rented it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

to my great shame, I'm 99% sure Mischief Makers was one of those games I only read about in nintendo power and dreamed of owning

idk why i never just rented it.

That's me with Blast Corps. I've played it through a half-functioning emulator for maybe ten minutes.

I still knew how great it was :negative:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

Now onto FF8!

Please post all your thoughts.

Even if you think it's too many thoughts, trust me it won't be.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

It was a good three year run that they did that. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Alright well back to never stepping inside Wal*Mart.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Barreft posted:

Please post all your thoughts.

Even if you think it's too many thoughts, trust me it won't be.

I am very excited. I remember loving this game when I played it as a seventh grader. I don’t remember any significant plot points. I never finished it though because it learned about level scaling via FF8. I got to the final dungeon with three level 100 characters and three severely under leveled characters. I just couldn’t make it work.

Now I’m looking forward to futzing with refining cards and junctioning magic.

I’m really curious to see just how bonkers 8 is and I hope I enjoy it. I enjoyed my time with 9, but it felt pretty underwhelming tbh. If I still have oomph in me after 8, o think I’m going to play 7 to see if it’s as excellent as my nostalgia is telling me it is.

In closing, here’s my first FF8 thought: the music at Balamb Garden is excellent and I listen to it very regularly while I work.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The game's music is absolutely FF8's strong point, like half the game's soundtrack is bangers.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Was saving $10 really worth having to go to wal mart?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Commander Keene posted:

The game's music is absolutely FF8's strong point, like half the game's soundtrack is bangers.

What do you mean "only half"? :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mister Facetious posted:

What do you mean "only half"? :colbert:
Gimme a break, it's been like 25 years, I'm lucky I remember half the music in the game. I sure as gently caress don't remember most of the plot.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Gimme a break, it's been like 30 years, I'm lucky I remember half the music in the game. I sure as gently caress don't remember most of the plot.

The .. plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barreft posted:

The .. plot?
Something something Sorceresses, blah blah orphanage, yada yada time compression.