Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Mine is Thai as well and I have no complaints, but the bike is also still in warranty so far from any meaningful point in it's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

F3 in this livery:

Close, the real goat is the Smokin' Joe's F3. Gotta get those kids off the vapes and back to Camels

edit:

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 8, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*AHEM*

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Close, the real goat is the Smokin' Joe's F3. Gotta get those kids off the vapes and back to Camels

edit:

:hellyeah:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I had a Thai Honda and I would argue that while it had some extremely budget stuff going on, the actual quality of the workmanship (castings matching up to castings, powdercoating being nice and smooth and thick, all the fasteners make sense and are good quality), it was actually a little better than my made-in-actual-Japan Suzuki. I think among bikes I've seen Honda still has the lead in like... making a thing that has cheap design choices but it's not made cheaply. Actual mechanics may have other thoughts.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 9, 2022

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Ye olden boiks have all sorts of crazy things I'm not qualified to comment on but preloaded bicycle style bearings are definitely a thing there. Iirc on old bmw's they can literally last forever because the bike can't exert enough load to ever put mechanical wear on the parts, servicing notwithstanding.
Postwar BMWs up through the early 70s used tapered roller bearings on the wheels with a shim-adjustable preload. I just did this job on the rear of my 1956. It's obnoxious work, but someone did a stress test at some point that found that the bearings will last 2 million miles if lubed and shimmed correctly over their lifetime. I assume the ones I had were original and they didn't really wear out that bad, they might have been usable with tighter shims. The rollers and races looked fine, it just had a bit of play.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Every bike should have a center stand
Correct!

I think my CBR250R was a Thai bike. Everything on it was very cheap (but in a good way; dropping the thing meant less than $50 for a new lever and new indicator). I had it for 10,000 miles and IIRC nothing ever failed on it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m really struggling to come up with a do it all bike that competes with my vfr (that I got new for $8000). It has every feature I think I would need: traction control, anti-lock brakes, heated hand grips, self-canceling turn signals, the aforementioned center stand, luggage, fully adjustable suspension, VTEC

The new imu cornering abs does seem cool though

Maybe I need a gold wing next

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m really struggling to come up with a do it all bike that competes with my vfr (that I got new for $8000). It has every feature I think I would need: traction control, anti-lock brakes, heated hand grips, self-canceling turn signals, the aforementioned center stand, luggage, fully adjustable suspension, VTEC

Well if you come up with one I'd take a VFR as my second bike

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

metallicaeg posted:

Well if you come up with one I'd take a VFR as my second bike

Dr evil voice one millllyon dollars

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah, you’re literally describing a goldwing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Don't look at the tube size, look at the size of the tire. Likely all those will work, but you don't want to be stuffing too much tube into too little tire as the tube can make little folds and rub a whole in itself. It's better to be slightly undersized. Also a tube with a sealant can be a good idea to help prevent flats from small holes.

Jazzzzz posted:

you got an answer but for future reference pedal bikes have a thread in TGO - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899

CA is motorcycles/scooters/etc

Thanks for the help! Got the tubes installed and its all good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How big of a difference is weight distribution in the grand scheme of things? One of my friends just bought an F650GS and she mentioned that it "feels" as light as her old Ninja 250. I didn't really interrogate so idk if it's hyperbole or what, but I gather the fuel is under the seat in those bad boys so it's probably a lot more manageable when you're not lifting a big can of liquid up top. Not sure how to quantify since I don't live local to her but definitely curious to experience a heavier bike but more weight balanced.

Really open ended question I guess. Of course the answer is "yes it makes a difference" since, again, you're not lifting a big can of liquid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It makes a huge difference. Putting weight down low makes a bike much more manageable, meaning you can pack more weight on before the bike feels top heavy, tippy, or generally hard to ride.

The Goldwing weighs 900-some odd lbs, but the flat 6 motor and gas tank down low mean much of the weight is below the midpoint of the bike. Once you get moving, its not any harder to manage than my old SV650 that weighed significantly less

To be fair to your friend, what she probably means is that the bike feels as light as her Ninja 250 once its underway. Generally no matter where the weight is, you feel it at walking speeds. Its only once your underway that the weight balance really comes into play

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, that's what I assumed as well. Low ctr of gravity would also aid with a pickup which is cool for an ADV bike now that I think about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo what most people identify as lightness is a product of lazy geometry and friendly ergos.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wide bars vs clip ons (I assume that's what ninja 250s have) also help with leverage, so you can flick something like that around much easier without having to shift your whole body weight around.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Wide bars make a pretty big difference, yeah. There were wide sumo style bars on the FZR when i got it. With the stock ones, you gotta use a bit more force.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
More weight is more weight, but never is it felt more than when you have to park with your front wheel facing downhill and then have to try and pull it out, uphill and backwards.

Unless it's a Goldwing then you just put it in reverse I guess.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Lol, been there done that. It was at the Amsterdam canals. In some places the side walk is canted towards the canals. I saw a nice spot, between some unused bicycle racks, and i expertly parked my bike there.
I did notice it was inclined slightly but i ignored it.

Then, when i got back, i had to waddle backwards. I just couldn't. The paving stones were too slippery from moss and crap from trees. The bike rack saved me, i could push myself backwards with one hand while keeping the other on the clutch for if i'd lose my grip and needed to stop the bike from rolling into the canal.

Yeah, i learned from that. I'll just park with the front facing upwards next time.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I need some advice. My father-in-law has a 1971 Honda CB350. It's non op, I have no idea when the last time it ran, but it's been winterized, stored indoors forever, and is in overall pretty good shape.

I want to ride this thing, (I've briefly owned a motorcycle before but never worked on one), but I need to get it running first and I am not sure what to do, expect, look for, etc.

It definitely needs a battery and an oil change. There's no gas in the tank at the moment. Probably needs tires, and I don't know about the brakes. I've got a carb rebuild kit on the way. What all else do I need to add to the list?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Points, condenser, fuel hose(s), tires definitely, fuel tap kit, the chain is probably hosed, if it's got a hydraulic brake it needs to be rebuilt. Sagebrush owns one, ask him for further details.

Check the steering head and wheel bearings, check the forks aren't leaking.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Slavvy posted:

Points, condenser, fuel hose(s), tires definitely, fuel tap kit, the chain is probably hosed, if it's got a hydraulic brake it needs to be rebuilt. Sagebrush owns one, ask him for further details.

Check the steering head and wheel bearings, check the forks aren't leaking.

Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna pull it out of the shed this weekend and get some pictures. FIL says it hasn't run in ~10 years, so it'll be a challenge for sure, but hey, it's free.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I unironically love the kind of free that isn't actually free but mostly just costs labour

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Should I order the quick shift for my vfr if I can find one? What does a quick shift do really

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spares you the huge effort of briefly rolling off the throttle when you upshift clutchless. If your bike is fancy it may also blip the throttle for you on downshifts. It will save you many tenths on your commute and you should get one to keep up with the super dukeses.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Was having a shower thought last night after reading some things on another forum (that probably answer the question as it's dumb). I've read that some people like to put car tires on some cruisers or bigger bikes, mainly the ones that have wide tires (ie the m109 boss being a big example). What would the benefit be? I figure it be extra traction since it's a wider tire, giving more rubber for grabbing, but wouldn't it effect your ability to lean since that puts a bigger flat spot compared to a normal cycle tire? Also yes I get it that many of these bikes don't really lean just go straight line only :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's called darksiding and the only benefit is that car tyres can do more miles before needing to be changed.

Maybe you also get more traction for drag race purposes, but generally the only people I've heard of doing it are penny pinching. It is a bad idea and nobody should do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

It is a bad idea and nobody should do it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Lol and this is what I figured, I thought there was more to it like traction maybe?? But yeah it seems super dumb when you really want the research and tech that goes into a cycle tire. Not some random Goodyear that you slap on. Shower thoughts are always fun to pursue and ask sometimes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's great at turning your bike into a sort of really long, really narrow trike. Past that idk.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The only bikes that can be properly set up for car tires is side cars, but thats with other rims and forks usually. And a side car is really not a motorcycle or a car, it's its own thing with how it rides and handles.

some forum searching found this post with proper old school y tube potato cam videos

Ola posted:

Ever wondered how a car tire really behaves on a bike? A guy on a Norwegian bike forum did these great vids of the tire at speed.

Bike tire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfrFch-VqE

Car tire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSSXHanpv0

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 15, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think the F9 video on darksiding sums it up fairly well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZeR9E3JyY

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I order the quick shift for my vfr if I can find one? What does a quick shift do really

I wouldn't bother, you should be able to do clutchless upshifts so there's almost no benefit to it. I got one for my fireblade which does up and down shifting, it does make it somewhat behave like a DCT if you don't use the clutch, but works best when the revs are high. For normal speed riding it's generally nicer to use the clutch, and I like changing gear anyway.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I like quickshifters. I'd get one, i like the way they work better than conventional clutchless shifting. But i'd also mount some kinda switch to turn it off.
To me it is hard to find the appropriate amount i close the throttle. Not enough and it'll shift with a big jolt. Too much or too long and i'll have unwanted engine braking. With a quickshifter i get a lot more consistency.
But they have a downside. I am used to putting a tiny bit of force on the shifter, and then pulling the clutch. The bike will then shift gears at the exact moment i pull the clutch.

With a quickshifter, that force will be recognized as a shift command so it will cut the injection (or on a carb'd bike, ignition). So if for some reason you still want to use the clutch (useful at low speeds, low revs, gentle riding with a pillion), you have to conciously first pull the clutch and then push the shift lever.
You can totally get used to it, but it's just a bit more 'interrupted' than the way i normally shift.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 16, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

I like quickshifters. I'd get one, i like the way they work better than conventional clutchless shifting. But i'd also mount some kinda switch to turn it off.
To me it is hard to find the appropriate amount i close the throttle. Not enough and it'll shift with a big jolt. Too much or too long and i'll have unwanted engine braking. With a quickshifter i get a lot more consistency.
But they have a downside. I am used to putting a tiny bit of force on the shifter, and then pulling the clutch. The bike will then shift gears at the exact moment i pull the clutch.

With a quickshifter, that force will be recognized as a shift command so it will cut the injection (or on a carb'd bike, ignition). So if for some reason you still want to use the clutch (useful at low speeds, low revs, gentle riding with a pillion), you have to conciously first pull the clutch and then push the shift lever.
You can totally get used to it, but it's just a bit more 'interrupted' than the way i normally shift.

Huh, that's a... I won't say weird because for all I know everyone does it that way... Different way of shifting to how I do it. It makes some sense in a more deliberate/anticipatory "I'm going to shift soon" vs "I'm going to shift now" sort of way. Though I guess in practice we're really talking about split seconds difference. I clutch and tap the shifter at the same time. Maybe your style lends itself more to transmissions that need a firm foot to engage the next gear.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's not really anticipating a shift. You shouldn't apply force to the shifter seconds ahead of your shift because that'll put wear on your shift forks, and comes with the risk of a bump causing an unexpected gear shift. Depending on your particular bike it WILL shift under load if you ham fist it enough.

It all happens in one second or so. The gearbox won't shift as long as the driving force keeps the dog gears pressed together. As soon as you pull in the clutch, the dog gears will slide freely and engage the next gear.
This is also how clutchless shifts work, except instead of interrupting the driving force with the clutch, you do it by closing the throttle so there will be a split second in which there is neither driving, nor braking force.

The SV is pretty average, shift force wise. There are bikes that shift particularly easily (the Duke 890r i rode at a test ride event is one of them). I thought it had a quickshifter so i tried clutchless shifting with the throttle still open. It just shifted, but a bit rougher than normal. Took me about 3 rough shifts before i figured out 'this is not a rough quickshifter, i'm just shifting it under load and it's really easy to shift'.
I used the clutch for the rest of the ride, since it was a group ride and i couldn't stop to gently caress around with all the menu settings.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That was the way I was told to learn clutchless upshifts; slight pressure up on the shifter and tap the clutch. Gives very smooth shifts.

I don't tend to use a lot of clutch shifting up anyway and it's working ok with the quickshifter, I haven't noticed the bike cutting throttle inappropriately. It's on the standard settings but you can change its sensitivity and other poo poo I haven't looked into.

Anyway yeah it doesn't have any noticeable downside on my bike but does take a bit of fun away if you actually use it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think it only works on upshifts and I already do those pretty easy one handed. I ride one handed most of the time so if it worked downshifting I would be into it for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Downshifting it works fine for the gear change but you suddenly get like 20% more engine braking.