Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I see the R300 would fit into my cabinet, I take it only upgrading a single speaker to a different series would not be a great idea tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

kliras posted:

i have tried setting up a system where i can connect my headphones to my tv

it goes:

apple tv >
tv >
ground-loop isolator >
jack cable extender >
headphones

most of the time, the dialogue - and usually only the dialogue - will drop out. i can fiddle with the cables, and sometimes it comes back, but it's just too much to mess with

i could spend a billion years trying to buy other cable extenders - because my headphones have proprietary ports - but even that might not fix it. is it possible i should look into boosting the signal instead? especially since the jack cable is running pretty long?

the headphones are pretty expensive, and bluetooth/wireless is awful and has latency, so this seems like the least awful thing to try right now

If only the dialog channel drops out, I think your problem is in the digital part of the signal path. Something to do with decoding the surround sound into stereo. So swapping the (analog) cable extender would do nothing.

If your cable is less than 10 meters, you won’t have a problem with signal attenuation.

If it’s more than that, you should rather look into moving the digital-to-audio conversion closer to the listening position. I.e. run a long digital out (do TV sets still have optical outputs?) to a headphone amp+DAC close to your listening chair. That will also give you a nice, local volume control.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Just doing a quick sanity check, I'm looking to do up a 3.1 system for mixed use--TV/movies/gaming. I've searched the thread and browsed a bunch of pages and it sounds like floorstanders are well-liked as long as you have the space for them, so I'm thinking of putting together the following for about $1600:

Klipsch R-26FA ($650/pair) - I'm intrigued by the built-in atmos speakers on these
Klipsch R-52C ($150)
Klipsch R-120SW ($300 on current sale)
Denon S760H ($500)

I've got a plenty big living room to set the floorstanders on either side of my TV console, just running a Roku and PS5 for peripherals at the moment. I already have speaker wire and nanner plugs, anything I'm overlooking here? Would that 12" sub be overkill with the R-26FA's front-firing bass ports vs the (slightly more expensive) Klipsch R-625FA's rear-firing bass ports? I dig the Klipsch aesthetic and I've read that it's good to match vendor/product lines for a consistent sound but I certainly wouldn't be against going with other brands for better price/perf. I just haven't put together a home theater setup in a long rear end time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

doctorthefonz posted:

Just doing a quick sanity check, I'm looking to do up a 3.1 system for mixed use--TV/movies/gaming. I've searched the thread and browsed a bunch of pages and it sounds like floorstanders are well-liked as long as you have the space for them, so I'm thinking of putting together the following for about $1600:

Klipsch R-26FA ($650/pair) - I'm intrigued by the built-in atmos speakers on these
Klipsch R-52C ($150)
Klipsch R-120SW ($300 on current sale)
Denon S760H ($500)

I've got a plenty big living room to set the floorstanders on either side of my TV console, just running a Roku and PS5 for peripherals at the moment. I already have speaker wire and nanner plugs, anything I'm overlooking here? Would that 12" sub be overkill with the R-26FA's front-firing bass ports vs the (slightly more expensive) Klipsch R-625FA's rear-firing bass ports? I dig the Klipsch aesthetic and I've read that it's good to match vendor/product lines for a consistent sound but I certainly wouldn't be against going with other brands for better price/perf. I just haven't put together a home theater setup in a long rear end time

1– There are way better subs for the money than Klipsch. SVS makes way better subs.

2– You appear to be mixing two different ranges and generations of entry level Klipsch speakers. IMO it doesn’t visually look great (especially because those two shades of gold are different IRL) and probably won’t sound as great as you want.

In your shoes I would honestly try to save up for the RP (Reference Premiere) or new RP II lines, and/or wait for a sale like Black Friday to get a nice discount on them.

Alternatives around that budget would also be the KEF Q Series (these go on big sale too), and maybe something like the Triangle Borea series or Monitor Audio Monitor, Bronze, and possibly even Silver stuff (probably not Silver, unless it was like previous-generation closeout)

In the more budget zone, or the “I’m waiting to save up for the speakers I really want” zone, I’m a big fan of the JBL Stage line (also goes on sale every so often). And this week you can go all-in on a Jamo S-series system for like $250-$500 depending on whether you go with bookshelf fronts or floorstanders.

Also ELAC exists.

I like all of these better than the “exposed fasteners and barnwood-looking poo poo” tier of Klipsch stuff

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

1– There are way better subs for the money than Klipsch. SVS makes way better subs.

2– You appear to be mixing two different ranges and generations of entry level Klipsch speakers. IMO it doesn’t visually look great (especially because those two shades of gold are different IRL) and probably won’t sound as great as you want.

In your shoes I would honestly try to save up for the RP (Reference Premiere) or new RP II lines, and/or wait for a sale like Black Friday to get a nice discount on them.

Alternatives around that budget would also be the KEF Q Series (these go on big sale too), and maybe something like the Triangle Borea series or Monitor Audio Monitor, Bronze, and possibly even Silver stuff (probably not Silver, unless it was like previous-generation closeout)

In the more budget zone, or the “I’m waiting to save up for the speakers I really want” zone, I’m a big fan of the JBL Stage line (also goes on sale every so often). And this week you can go all-in on a Jamo S-series system for like $250-$500 depending on whether you go with bookshelf fronts or floorstanders.

Also ELAC exists.

I like all of these better than the “exposed fasteners and barnwood-looking poo poo” tier of Klipsch stuff

I wondered if that was the case re: mixing generations but there are so many models it just made my head spin a bit. This was precisely the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

doctorthefonz posted:

Just doing a quick sanity check, I'm looking to do up a 3.1 system for mixed use--TV/movies/gaming.

Upfiring atmos speakers aren't great. They are better than not having them I guess, but I wouldn't expect much out of them. Personally I would put that money towards better speakers and ignore atmos altogether.

idk how big your room is, but you could get something like 3x Kef Q350s from accessories4less.com They will have more than enough output unless your room is absolutely massive. Just cross them over to your sub at 70 or 80hz. And since they are coaxial, you can lay the middle speaker sideways and it will sound the same.

Throwing in another recommendation for the svs sb1000, pb1000 or rsl speedwoofer 10s for your sub.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Yeah I took some rough measurements last night and the room is about 21'4" x 13'2" with 7'10" ceilings, and I sit about 11-12 feet away from the 77" TV. I saw those two SVS subs really well reviewed, should I lean toward the ported or unported sub though? Not really sure what the sound difference would be other than reading that ported subs are generally more powerful than their unported counterparts all else being equal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah with modern subs most of the differences people talk about aren’t as relevant so if you can deal with the looks and presence of a giant box a ported sub will have more output than a sealed one with the same driver/motor. That said I still went with a sealed one since I’m in an apartment so max output is irrelevant, I run my L12 at like 25% gain.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Right on that makes sense, thanks folks!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do more companies have receivers with the good HDMI ports now? I’m kind of tired of Denon and have had a couple reliability problems with them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

doctorthefonz posted:

Yeah I took some rough measurements last night and the room is about 21'4" x 13'2" with 7'10" ceilings, and I sit about 11-12 feet away from the 77" TV. I saw those two SVS subs really well reviewed, should I lean toward the ported or unported sub though? Not really sure what the sound difference would be other than reading that ported subs are generally more powerful than their unported counterparts all else being equal

That's basically it. Ported vs sealed mostly comes down to size and output. Ported subs are larger and can play louder and lower. The main advantage of sealed subs is that they are smaller. They usually have faster transience, slightly better note to note distinction(vs just loud booms) and generally sound more accurate as well.
Of course once you get into the 1500 dollar and higher price point with ported subs, they are just as accurate as sealed subs so then it just comes down to size and output.

I'd get the ported SVS for that size room unless space is a concern.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

Do more companies have receivers with the good HDMI ports now? I’m kind of tired of Denon and have had a couple reliability problems with them.

My understanding as of the last few months: Onkyo/Pioneer/Integras work but there's quirks with Dirac and receivers switching into eco mode, Yamaha finally delivered their 2.1 update and it works kinda ok but the ports are still hadware limited to 24gbps. All the boutique brands like Arcam, Anthem, NAD, etc. have software bugs and other weird quirks. Basically every manufacturer is bad in a different way, isn't the future awesome?

My current plan when I get a better TV is to buy a HDFury Vrroom and stick to 2 channel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have a question about my jank-rear end setup: I just got new passive speakers and want to connect them to my tv. My amp has only rca lines in and my tv has only a headphone jack out and an optical audio out. Will I get the same sound quality with an adapter that does headphone-to-rca as I will with optical-to-rca?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have a question about my jank-rear end setup: I just got new passive speakers and want to connect them to my tv. My amp has only rca lines in and my tv has only a headphone jack out and an optical audio out. Will I get the same sound quality with an adapter that does headphone-to-rca as I will with optical-to-rca?

no. Depending on the quality of the DAC in your optical-to-RCA box you’ll get arguably better sound quality that way.

You can spend as little as $25 and get a FiiO D03K Taishan and probably have a better time than if you use a 3.5-RCA cable and have to worry about the gain coming out of the TV.

YMMV as far as really noticing the difference, but you’ll definitely get a “cleaner” signal out of the TV if you run a digital signal out through a DAC than it you use the 3.5mm headphone jack, and you’ll only have to worry about one volume control instead of two when playing sound though your stereo, but other goons will probably say that it’s not that big of a deal.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

My understanding as of the last few months: Onkyo/Pioneer/Integras work but there's quirks with Dirac and receivers switching into eco mode, Yamaha finally delivered their 2.1 update and it works kinda ok but the ports are still hadware limited to 24gbps. All the boutique brands like Arcam, Anthem, NAD, etc. have software bugs and other weird quirks. Basically every manufacturer is bad in a different way, isn't the future awesome?

My current plan when I get a better TV is to buy a HDFury Vrroom and stick to 2 channel.

I poked my head into Best Buy. It bothers me how much a lot of these receivers look exactly the same as they did 20 years ago. Put a goddamn 4" LCD on them or something instead of the dot matrix screens.

I looked up the Marantz they had, it was released in 2020. Should have the updated 2.1 HDMI working but still who wants to shell out all that dough for a 2 year old model.

I like how the Yamahas look but the little knob on the right of them feels like its going to snap off.

Looking at Crutchfield, it seems like they state right up front precisely how many HDMI ports support 4/120, so that's nice.

e: jfc lmao whos using the RCA Aux inputs on the front of the Integra DRX-3.4 in tyool 2022

e2: the Pioneer Elite VSX-305 looks pretty decent, I always kinda wanted to give them a try.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 15, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I poked my head into Best Buy. It bothers me how much a lot of these receivers look exactly the same as they did 20 years ago. Put a goddamn 4" LCD on them or something instead of the dot matrix screens.

I looked up the Marantz they had, it was released in 2020. Should have the updated 2.1 HDMI working but still who wants to shell out all that dough for a 2 year old model.

I like how the Yamahas look but the little knob on the right of them feels like its going to snap off.

Looking at Crutchfield, it seems like they state right up front precisely how many HDMI ports support 4/120, so that's nice.

e: jfc lmao whos using the RCA Aux inputs on the front of the Integra DRX-3.4 in tyool 2022

e2: the Pioneer Elite VSX-305 looks pretty decent, I always kinda wanted to give them a try.

umm okay

also, personally I’m really glad they’re still putting RCA inputs on A/V receivers and I dread the day they all go HDMI-only

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You should digitize your homegrown so you're not always having to plug the Hi8 into your receiver.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

You should digitize your homegrown so you're not always having to plug the Hi8 into your receiver.

if showing up in a thread and immediately becoming the Worst Guy in it were a competitive sport you’d have a scholarship named after you and a Nike deal

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I didn’t just show up in this thread you dumbass I’ve been the worst poster in it for more than half a decade.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah, respect the time he’s put in!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
like a comet that returns periodically to sow misfortune

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can spend as little as $25 and get a FiiO D03K Taishan and probably have a better time than if you use a 3.5-RCA cable and have to worry about the gain coming out of the TV.

The D03K has issues with 48KHz audio, which is 99% of what you would get from movie/TV content. So get something else for this use case.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

I bought a Monoprice Monolith speaker stand for my bookshelf speakers. I saw many people online recommending buying little metal holders for the big spikes that come with the stand, to make it more stable or possibly to improve the sound, I'm not sure which. I bought some, but this just feels very strange to me. Is this really stable? Is this really the way people set up home theater speaker stands if they can't screw the spikes into carpet or the ground?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As far as I know the discs are to prevent the spikes from gouging your floor, although I'm sure someone sells ones that claim to improve the sound. They should feel stable, if they don't you may need to adjust the spikes so they are. Also your floor might not be perfectly level.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
The dog and house cleaner really love moving the speaker stand spikes off the discs thingies and onto the floor. The old lady doesn't care until I show her why I'm complaining.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spikes are only useful if you have thick carpet. Just remove them completely.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My floorstanders came with spikes and also little circular feet with rubber discs on them for hard floors.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

KozmoNaut posted:

Spikes are only useful if you have thick carpet. Just remove them completely.

Okay, this is kind of what I was thinking. On the spikes it seemed less stable, but not unstable or anything; it just seemed to be to be very pointless to rest the stand on four screws rather than on the whole bottom of the stand. I was having a hard time thinking what the benefit of them could possibly be.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nrook posted:

Okay, this is kind of what I was thinking. On the spikes it seemed less stable, but not unstable or anything; it just seemed to be to be very pointless to rest the stand on four screws rather than on the whole bottom of the stand. I was having a hard time thinking what the benefit of them could possibly be.

Spikes are hypothetically useful in isolating speaker vibrations from the floor. Good if you have neighbors downstairs. But:
1. In my experience, rubber feet are just as good
2. Bookshelf speakers won’t output enough bass to travel between floors anyway

So I’d only use them if they were supplied with floorstanding speakers.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
A pair of RBH Sound SV-6500 tower speakers are on CL for a significant discount, I can't find a whole ton of info or reviews on these units, does anyone have any experience?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Not familiar with them but it looks like audioholics has a pretty high opinion.

Owners thread over there: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/rbh-sound-owners-thread.91330/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Good lord these things are heavy.

So I've realized that while my receiver technically supports these speakers - 4 ohms, 100 watts (the speakers want 100-300), the guy who sold them to me said they really want more wattage rather than less. I can biamp them but I've seen differences of opinion as to whether that actually helps anything or not. What would the best move be here? (After just trying them out as-is and seeing how they sound.)

Edit: Oh snap! He advertised them as the standard version!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 27, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those will be using a handful of watts most of the time unless you're blasting them. Should there be bridges between the binding posts?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hook them up and listen to them before you spend more money :v:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

Those will be using a handful of watts most of the time unless you're blasting them. Should there be bridges between the binding posts?

Yeah it came with them but I'm trying biamping because I already had the wires in place so why not...

First test: yeah man this sounds good. I'm smiling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mozi posted:

First test: yeah man this sounds good. I'm smiling.

That's that then!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Not sure if this is the right place to post this because this is more on nearfield use than an actual home theater but I'm just going to go for it:

Am I correct in assuming that the gripes about the KEF LS50w largely had to do with its wireless implementation and crappy app? If I won't be using those, it's not much of an issue?

The reason I asked is that a used LS50w is significantly cheaper than a brand new meta right now (and there are no LS50s whether used or new popping up in my area) and the wireless version saves me a bit of worrying about amp/dac matching and just get right down to setting up, kicking it on the office chair, and listening. I plan on hooking it up completely wired (ethernet instead of wi-fi), USB cable directly to a PC, and listen to FLAC files through Plexamp/Roon (from the Synology NAS) or stream via Tidal — again, all through my PC.

For this use case am I good, right?

Bonus question: Should I wish (in the future) play MQA tracks, I will need a DAC that natively plays it - can that be used with the LS50w?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you have a line on cheap LS50w you can probably go for it just fine. That said unless they’re genuinely cheap there’s better powered speakers values. They’re also pretty big and heavy for desk use so make sure you have room.

Also MQA is stupid and the first unfold, the one you don’t need approved hardware for, is the most accurate as far as anyone can tell.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

quote:

They’re also pretty big and heavy for desk use so make sure you have room.

Yeah I have a 3030i I'm replacing which is a huge speaker in its own right.

Guy carrying the used LS50w is also selling used Dynaudio Evoke 20s for the same price (about $900). I'm tempted to go that route too, just not sure if the AD18 would be able to handle it for now while I worry about getting something like the Brio a month later (it's around $450 used here).

Edit: Looks like AD18s are underpowered

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm looking for a new receiver. I currently have a Sony STR-DG510 that I'm looking to upgrade to something with modern features - HDMI ARC, bluetooth, etc. Right now I just run a 2.0 setup, but at some point in the future will go back to 5.0. So far this all seems pretty standard I'm sure, but my complication is that my speakers are these crazy ridiculous Fluance AC938s with each having a built-in 10" subwoofer. (hence ".0" above instead of including a separate sub)

Is it worth looking for something that can put some extra wattage into these things because of the subs? They're bi-amp capable, should I even bother looking for a receiver that is compatible? I'm not an audiophile and honestly they've been sounding fine to me, but maybe I'm missing out on something and just don't know better?

Thanks!

Eyud posted:

Those appear to be reasonably efficient speakers so unless you’re listening at super high volume you probably won’t gain anything from more power. My speakers have two 8” woofers each and are slightly less efficient, and a good 100 wpc amp is more than enough even when I want to crank them.

I know I'm late on this, but thanks!

I ended up going with the Denon AVR S760H which is on sale for $449 again at Costco. Had a $40 coupon and a $40 GC from a Groupon deal on renewing my membership, so got it for $369 + tax which is a fantastic deal.