Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sadly LBW also does the "use item on the boss" thing even though you rent items instead of getting them in dungeons. It's just that the item required is the one you need to traverse the dungeon, so the boss of House of Gales, which requires the Tornado Rod to enter/traverse, requires the Tornado Rod to defeat it. Same with Arrghus requiring the Hookshot (which you need to get through Swamp) and Kholdstare requiring the Fire Rod (which wasn't true in LttP, as you could also break the ice with Bombos, which wasn't obtained in a dungeon and in fact wasn't even necessary to beat the game).

I don't think every boss required an item (Moldorm didn't) but it still did it far more than LttP, which only had one boss that required the dungeon item (that one being Arrghus, though the dungeon item was very helpful for many fights like Armos Knights, Helmasaur King, and Mothula, but again, not required at all).

Link's Awakening started the trend, but it was something mostly new in that game, and there were still a couple of bosses where the item wasn't necessary (in a technical sense, like you need the flippers to fight the boss of Angler's Tunnel, but since it isn't a weapon, you can't really "use" it against the boss, same with Feather being helpful against Moldorm, but not required since it isn't a weapon). OoT was where the series went all in on "You must use the dungeon item to defeat the boss" and I think that Zelda as a whole suffers from it.

Though of course BotW doesn't do it, and Majora's Mask doesn't really do it either. Majora's Mask bosses are more about using the masks to fight the bosses, probably because weirdly, every dungeon item in Majora's Mask is an arrow.

Oh yeah, wasn't saying LBW fixed the problem. Just gave you way more an open world feel on what you want to do compared to LTTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
decided to bite the bullet and actually play Skyward Sword now that its on a console with non-terrible motion controls

it's fun!! also surprisingly i prefer the motion controls to the stick for most things. (flying the bird is not one of those things.)

also Fi is great. I like Fi.

TL: "oh, you're all idiots, I see"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm on to Oracle of Seasons. I'm glad I decided to play through now, since apparently I never got it on 3DS, and the gates are gradually closing on purchasing things in the older eshops.

Halfway through and it's a good time so far. The Oracle games are some of the ones I've played the least, so I don't know what I'm doing all the time like in Link's Awakening, which is (mostly) nice. The game has quite a bit of technical improvements, some of which help make it quite a bit more sprawling playing directly after LA, but the downside is that I don't think it always feels quite as tightly designed or good at directing you where you should be going. On the other hand, maybe some of that's on me for not having played it a billion times over the years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blaziken386 posted:

also Fi is great. I like Fi.

:goofy:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Between that and the posts making GBS threads on
Ocarina and Link to the Past I think it's time to nuke this thread from orbit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zelda II is a really cool game which could've lead the series in a different and probably better direction.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

They made Fi not bug you as much in the HD remake.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Link to the Past is a fantastic game, one of the best on the SNES, but I feel like it's too hand-holdy and would have benefited from not constantly leading you around (it's still nowhere near as bad as OoT though).

It's also kind of a shame that it was one of the earliest SNES games, made before the devs really got a handle on what the system was capable of, and can't help but imagine how much more amazing it would have been if it was a late SNES game and did things like having the dungeons have much stronger individual identities by maybe having things like differing tilesets instead of all of them being forced to use the same one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

skyward sword post #2: impa sucks

i don't think I've enjoyed a single version of impa over the course of the series, she's either "extremely forgettable" or "that one rear end in a top hat", and it seems like she's the latter here.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They made Fi not bug you as much in the HD remake.
yes I probably should have clarified this. from what i remember of the original she was very bad. when she's limited to doing story stuff she's neat. i think its cool that my sword has an autistic robot ghost lady in it.

also sometimes she shows up and says things like "hey idiot you will die if you stand in the fire room, go the other way" which is very helpful (I still died because i am extremely directionally challenged)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Playing through Twilight Princess right now, and while it was my favorite Zelda for a while (and I still like the vibes), I don't get why they even made Twilight World. It feels like someone came up with the wolf idea, and everything else was tacked on.

You go through unfamiliar locations collecting bugs because reasons? Feels like it would be better the other way around where you would familiarize yourself with the place first and then go through weirder places.

That one drat cutscene at the beginning of Lanayru Hunt is the only thing Zelda ever did that I would call cringe. lovely attempt at weird horror that doesn't land as well as anything unsettling in Majora's Mask.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Vookatos posted:

Playing through Twilight Princess right now, and while it was my favorite Zelda for a while (and I still like the vibes), I don't get why they even made Twilight World. It feels like someone came up with the wolf idea, and everything else was tacked on.

You go through unfamiliar locations collecting bugs because reasons? Feels like it would be better the other way around where you would familiarize yourself with the place first and then go through weirder places.

I felt it was a nod to the Dark World, but flipped on its head. Some of the first introductions you get to villagers are in this realm. Even if they're just cowering or meandering, I knew who I wanted to meet later

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Spellman posted:

I felt it was a nod to the Dark World, but flipped on its head. Some of the first introductions you get to villagers are in this realm. Even if they're just cowering or meandering, I knew who I wanted to meet later

Makes sense, but the unfortunate reality is that it's nothing more than a fetch quest. The only two interesting things you do is a boss fight and exploding Barnes' storehouse, which robs you of bombs for another dungeon.

When I think of Zelda what compels me to replay the games is exploration and puzzles, and the dumb bug quest doesn't offer anything like that.

That said, I did get to the second part of the game so I will be able to explore soon.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It is, for sure, nobody's favorite Dark World. Across the Zelda series, and in other games, this concept has been done better

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Blaziken386 posted:

skyward sword post #2: impa sucks

i don't think I've enjoyed a single version of impa over the course of the series, she's either "extremely forgettable" or "that one rear end in a top hat", and it seems like she's the latter here.

Impa is great in Age of Calamity.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, Oracle of Seasons' Magnetic Gloves are one of the most fun one-off (I think?) items in the 2D games, they did a good job making them fun to use for puzzle solving and in platforming sections. But whoever was involved with their sound design was a sadist, they picked the most annoying sound possible with the gameboy sound chip and just put it front and center. It really stands out in their dungeon's boss fight, just minutes on end of constant shrill DEEEEEET DEEEEEET DEEET DEEEEEEEEEEET sounds drilling into your ears as you're propelling a metal ball around the arena. It really tries its best to make me hate a great item.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man, Oracle of Seasons' Magnetic Gloves are one of the most fun one-off (I think?) items in the 2D games, they did a good job making them fun to use for puzzle solving and in platforming sections. But whoever was involved with their sound design was a sadist, they picked the most annoying sound possible with the gameboy sound chip and just put it front and center. It really stands out in their dungeon's boss fight, just minutes on end of constant shrill DEEEEEET DEEEEEET DEEET DEEEEEEEEEEET sounds drilling into your ears as you're propelling a metal ball around the arena. It really tries its best to make me hate a great item.

I believe the Magnet Gloves are also in the original Four Swords, but that's their only other appearance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DanielCross posted:

I believe the Magnet Gloves are also in the original Four Swords, but that's their only other appearance.

Oh, that would make sense. I haven't played their multiplayer games much so no surprise if I missed/forgot it there.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
good rear end video incoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tXLsEUpaQ

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm a proud gamer dad today. My 6-year-old has been playing BOTW but just dithering about on the plateau for quite a while, but last night she decided to take the plunge and go out into the wild world of Hyrule. Knocked over a couple of shrines, took out some boko camps, activated a tower, registered a horse, and visited Kakariko, all on her own in one night.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I learned what an Ocarina was from Skeeter on Doug, thankyouverymuch.

Better keep scrolling to see if anybody else—
:mad:

palindrome posted:

Zelda 1 for NES would still be talked about and played competitively today if only they hadn't scrapped the 2p versus mode that was later shoehorned into double dragon.
The what, now?

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm a proud gamer dad today. My 6-year-old has been playing BOTW but just dithering about on the plateau for quite a while, but last night she decided to take the plunge and go out into the wild world of Hyrule. Knocked over a couple of shrines, took out some boko camps, activated a tower, registered a horse, and visited Kakariko, all on her own in one night.
This makes me so happy. :3:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

skyward sword opinion post #3: the fact that this game is big dungeons broken up by outside areas that act as what are essentially mini-dungeons is nice. The dungeons all have really good designs so far!!! I liked the time travel sand dungeon it made me feel clever

it's the polar opposite of BotW, where the explore-y bits were fun but the dungeons were all Very Boring

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

palindrome posted:

Zelda 1 for NES would still be talked about and played competitively today if only they hadn't scrapped the 2p versus mode that was later shoehorned into double dragon.

There's the Zelda 1 Randomizer that has regular tournaments and stuff.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Compass is a dogshit item.

It only made sense in Zelda 1, where dungeons were combat-oriented and sometimes only needed you to traverse like half of them. Ever since LttP compass became a useless trinket that you collect solely because it's tradition.

LttP one only pointed you to the boss in already well-designed and mostly linear dungeons where it was clear where the boss is. Ever since then, however, it only got worse.

Twilight Princess showcases the biggest issue with it, as it's one of the Zeldas that really likes to hide chests in its dungeons. It's even more useless for finding the boss, but now it also discourages exploration, turning your map into a checklist. You don't need to look in corners anymore once you get it, just follow the map and maybe solve an extremely simple puzzle to make the chest appear. There's no exploration once you got it, and all the secrets are now revealed.

Ocarina of Time tried to build its dungeons in a better way, where sometimes keys would not be stuck in chests, such as with skulls in Shadow Temple. I haven't replayed that game in 10 years, so recently I got stuck there because I was so used to compass telling me where the important stuff is. If I recall, it also displayed where you are on the map, which is a genuinely nifty thing for it to do. I wish this was the case for every game: map gives you a general layout that still hides secret rooms a la Zelda 1 or Hollow Knight, and compass lets you see where you are on it.

There's a lot of debate over which item is the best or worst, but who the hell gets excited when they see compass pop up from the chest, especially after a literal fanfare prepares you for something more important?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Compass is both the worst and best it's ever been in Link's Awakening DX

Worst because it makes you read a bunch of text all 8 times you pick it up

Best because it does have that "this room still has a key" chime, super useful when wandering around Turtle Rock wondering what the gently caress you haven't done yet

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
To this day I still don't know the real way you're supposed to finish turtle rock. As a kid I would always use the bomb arrow glitch to open some of hidden doors

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's not a glitch, they even put it in the remake!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Compass is both the worst and best it's ever been in Link's Awakening DX

Worst because it makes you read a bunch of text all 8 times you pick it up

Best because it does have that "this room still has a key" chime, super useful when wandering around Turtle Rock wondering what the gently caress you haven't done yet

Now I want to replay that game. Only ever finished it on Switch, because I have an aversion to original version. It's very crippled by hardware. Text, inventory items... I also really hate how Game Boy games sound. Something about most of the sound it produces is too high-pitched and annoying for me.

I might drop Twilight Princess and just play Link's Awakening. I wanted to replay TPHD, but thanks to Wii U's Eshop having all your purchases, and Eshops being closed in Russia because of obvious reasons, I had to go back to Wii. Really not a fan of how that game looks. Some sections feel way too blurry.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been continuing my gameboy Zelda marathon, and I'm finishing up with Oracle of Ages now. I agree with the compass' key chime being good, I've been getting a lot of use out of it. Not for rooms with obvious chests, but to help with the rooms that don't have a chest or obvious puzzle in them. Just a nice little mechanic that works well with the design.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean it seems like they're pretty aware that the compass is dumb since they got rid of it way back in Slyward Sword. I remember my first time playing OoT, not really understanding the Zelda formula, and always being so disappointed in a compass when I thought I might be getting the dungeon item.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I now have every main line Zelda title installed on my Steam Deck and it's glorious.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

skyward sword opinion post #3: the fact that this game is big dungeons broken up by outside areas that act as what are essentially mini-dungeons is nice. The dungeons all have really good designs so far!!! I liked the time travel sand dungeon it made me feel clever

it's the polar opposite of BotW, where the explore-y bits were fun but the dungeons were all Very Boring

I've been stuck on Skyward's musical note collecting forever. It's been months and finally decided to reinstall and it's still as annoying as I remember.

I want to finish this game because I liked it mostly. But this platformy swimming/flying in 3D and if you miss even one note you have to do it all over again can go gently caress itself. The game has wasted so much of my time already

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

I now have every main line Zelda title installed on my Steam Deck and it's glorious.

I'd hope so. Why buy a Deck and not put every Zelda on it lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Barreft posted:

I've been stuck on Skyward's musical note collecting forever. It's been months and finally decided to reinstall and it's still as annoying as I remember.

I want to finish this game because I liked it mostly. But this platformy swimming/flying in 3D and if you miss even one note you have to do it all over again can go gently caress itself. The game has wasted so much of my time already

I don't blame you on that part. I've gotten through it a few times, but it's one of the biggest offenders in terms of padding things out with unfun forced quests (something I think that game is one of the worst at in general).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't blame you on that part. I've gotten through it a few times, but it's one of the biggest offenders in terms of padding things out with unfun forced quests (something I think that game is one of the worst at in general).

It's right after I pushed myself after a month to finish the 3rd (4th?) corruption boss battle thing. I should just watch the finish on youtube but I'm like right loving there

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I loved the musical note section, it felt like a fun little banjo kazooie level in my Zelda game. A chill break to do some swimming in the final act of the game :shrug:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I loved the musical note section, it felt like a fun little banjo kazooie level in my Zelda game. A chill break to do some swimming in the final act of the game :shrug:

Sure if there wasn't a timer on collecting the notes.

e: I'm just not spending 30 minutes, let alone an hour getting all the notes in a zone. let alone 3 drat zones. and everytime you don't hit a note it all gets reset. It's stupid poo poo design :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Barreft posted:

Sure if there wasn't a timer on collecting the notes.

e: I'm just not spending 30 minutes, let alone an hour getting all the notes in a zone. let alone 3 drat zones. and everytime you don't hit a note it all gets reset. It's stupid poo poo design :shrug:

You only have to do the musical notes for the forest. You get the songs in different ways in the other regions: stealth section in the volcano and a timeshifting stone obstacle course train thing in the desert.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

You only have to do the musical notes for the forest. You get the songs in different ways in the other regions: stealth section in the volcano and a timeshifting stone obstacle course train thing in the desert.

OH. I did not know that.

I will power through that stupid loving forest then

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also if it helps you can spin attack while swimming to draw nearby notes to you, so you don't have to swim precisely and touch every single note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Skyward Sword final post: game good. demise took me a loving hour to beat because i was too stubborn to backtrack to get the hylian shield + fairy refills, but other than that, it was fun.

The writing was uh, not great though. How many times did I have to Prove My Worth before i was actually considered worthy?? I can accept the water dragon demanding that, because she was already characterized as An rear end in a top hat, but then at the end the game goes "LOL psyche, go do another Silent Realms trial!!" It took me four goddamn attempts at that, when the others I managed to clear in one go. What the gently caress was that about, Hylia, did you want me to fix your problem or not?!

Barreft posted:

if you spin next to the tadpoles you barely even need to aim. you should therefore always be spinning, because it also makes you go fast

(the swimming controls do kinda suck though. why is majora's mask the only zelda game with swimming that feels good)