Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Reek posted:

Deck owns. Started Into the Breach and it owns.

I keep feeling like I have the game figured out and it's going to be easy and then I do dumb poo poo on the second or third island and lose.

It’s very unforgiving but doesn’t feel unfair. And they were very clever in making it so that loving up and losing is just part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I've used cdkeys a bunch and had no issue. Other sites have stats (who knows how reliable) on key issues and a bunch of the resellers have like 100k sales with .5% issues, so I'll gladly buy Dead Cells for 5 bucks and take my chances. I do hope that's not actively hurting other people though. But ethical consumption capitalism etc etc

Businesses have no issue sourcing manpower and resources in countries where they’re cheaper so I have zero ethical issues buying Polish keys or whatever as long as they haven’t been bought with stolen credit cards. CDKeys has never really had that kind of issue.

You don’t save much that often anymore since publishers have doubled down on region restrictions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Monument Valley 1 and 2 are on Steam now! Hell yeah, I actually emailed the company years ago if they ever planned PC releases and they said no, glad that's changed. I never got around to the second game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sigher posted:

Monument Valley 1 and 2 are on Steam now! Hell yeah, I actually emailed the company years ago if they ever planned PC releases and they said no, glad that's changed. I never got around to the second game.

I did something similar with the devs for The Quest back when it was an iOS game and they were quite smarmy with me at the time, which I didn't appreciate. iirc the response was something along the lines of "why would we, steam isn't really popular and it would take a lot of resources to port it over, just get an apple device" or something

https://store.steampowered.com/app/428880/The_Quest/

Glad it's on steam now but "2016" release date is ten years after it was on iOS, so it's kind of lost its relevance. I wish I hadn't accidentally deleted the email, I found them in my contacts but it must have gotten purged when I was trying to clean up my gmail

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Got my Deck today. It's pretty cool. It's my first time using Steam though so I have a few questions:

Is there a generally accepted way to delete a game's save data to reset settings and all? From what I gather I'd have to manually delete some files/folders, which is fine, but it's not exactly clear which ones. A further wrinkle is games that support cloud saves.

For things like invert look, is it generally better to set that within a game's settings (if available) as opposed to in the Steam controller preferences?

Does gyro aiming work well like it does on Switch? Control appears to support it, but it's not enabled by default.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Got my Deck today. It's pretty cool. It's my first time using Steam though so I have a few questions:

Is there a generally accepted way to delete a game's save data to reset settings and all? From what I gather I'd have to manually delete some files/folders, which is fine, but it's not exactly clear which ones. A further wrinkle is games that support cloud saves.

Cloud saves is easy, you can turn that off per-game or universally in your steam account settings.

As for deleting game saves, it depends on the game. Many games will have an option to delete everything in the settings, those that don't will probably require you either do it manually using their save system or to navigate to their save folder in the operating system and delete it that way.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is there any way to turn off Steam Input on a game on Deck or is that something you wouldn't even want to do?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Is there any way to turn off Steam Input on a game on Deck or is that something you wouldn't even want to do?
There's no reason to, the gamepad template just passes all the buttons through and the game sees it as an xbox controller.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Does steam os have a known issue with flatpak installs from the 'discover' thingie? I can't get file open and save dialogs to appear, which seems to be due to a lack of portals. Surely this would be standard right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For things like invert look, is it generally better to set that within a game's settings (if available) as opposed to in the Steam controller preferences?

Does gyro aiming work well like it does on Switch? Control appears to support it, but it's not enabled by default.

This will vary from game to game so there's no real best method, a lot will just be in the game's installed folder so when you uninstall the game it wipes the saves too, but some might be in your Documents Folder and get left behind after uninstalling. I'd usually just hunt online and I'm sure you'll find a forum post about it somewhere on the internet.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Does steam os have a known issue with flatpak installs from the 'discover' thingie? I can't get file open and save dialogs to appear, which seems to be due to a lack of portals. Surely this would be standard right?

Actually I can't run any flatpaks in game mode. Since they are the recommended way to install stuff in desktop mode, shouldn't they also work in game mode?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Game mode is for running Steam games, Desktop mode is for the KDE desktop and I don't think anything related to Desktop mode is officially supported.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Actually I can't run any flatpaks in game mode. Since they are the recommended way to install stuff in desktop mode, shouldn't they also work in game mode?

they should work to some degree, I think. all the emulators I installed as flatpaks from Discover work that I added to Steam

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do they show up in the window list when you hit the Steam button? Flatpaks work in game mode but I wouldn't do anything that has a bunch of popup windows since the compositor they use in game mode is really only meant for single window apps (like games)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Realized EDF5 plays fantastically on this today, so that is what I've been doing a lot of when I'm not fiddling with emulation setup things.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

Realized EDF5 plays fantastically on this today, so that is what I've been doing a lot of when I'm not fiddling with emulation setup things.

I've been playing EDF4.1 because I got a key for it in a humble bundle a while back. It also plays great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there a good guide on emulators for dummies out there? Because I've looked at a few and they have a lot of words I don't know

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Opopanax posted:

Is there a good guide on emulators for dummies out there? Because I've looked at a few and they have a lot of words I don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP-DF9K2SM&t=292s

Is there a good disk scanner that shows what's taking up disk space visually? My Deck is full on it's internal storage and it really shouldn't be, but I don't know what's the easiest way to hunt down what's taking up the space than that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP-DF9K2SM&t=292s

Is there a good disk scanner that shows what's taking up disk space visually? My Deck is full on it's internal storage and it really shouldn't be, but I don't know what's the easiest way to hunt down what's taking up the space than that.

If you go to the settings and scroll down there’s a section for storage and it shows you what’s taking up what space.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anything that isn't a Steam file is just going to be listed as "other" though and not tell you where it is. I'm assuming you can get qdirstat from the discover store, if you don't want to hunt for stuff in the terminal and du

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Resident Evil 1 remake looks better on Steam Deck than on a big TV/monitor imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Whenever I try to launch a PS3 game using Emudeck's shortcuts, it pops up for a split second and then the steam UI comes back, except the game still seems to be running in the background and I can't find a way to swap over to it. It's very strange behavior. Anyone else see this and know of a fix?

I can load the games fine by using the RPCS3 shortcut instead, but I'd rather use the direct game shortcuts since loading emulators through the steam UI instead of desktop mode is jank. Also, I noticed when testing out Disgaea 3 that RPCS3 will really just use up your full TDP if you let it, to zero benefit. I turned it down from 15W to 9W and it saved some battery life without changing anything about the game being emulated. Though I'm sure you can't get away with doing this on actual demanding PS3 games (Disgaea is basically PS1 game tech at best)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 17, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Weird problem with dead cells:

Was playing last night in desktop mode, put it to sleep. Woke it today, game ran briefly, then minimized. When I went back to it, no audio.

Reboot deck. Still no audio in dead cells. Uninstall it, reboot deck. Reinstall. Play Zero Dawn - that has audio. Still no audio in Dead Cells.

Uninstall it again after browsing to local content folder. Delete remaining folder after uninstalling. Reboot deck. Reinstall again. Still no loving audio in dead cells! Go in via desktop, look at audio -- I don't see anything weird in the OS settings.

No issues with other games; am on the verge of resetting the loving thing. Have not done much in the way of customization or anything weird.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Saw a 512GB Steam Deck for sale in the wild, only for a teeny, tiny sum of €1,000.00...

Christ.

From the same store that had PS5s at €850.00.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is there any way to switcheroo the accept and cancel buttons? I keep fumbling it up since I've been a Nintendo guy forever. (Also my PSPs are Japanese models so they use the Nintendo convention.)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Opopanax posted:

what are you trying to play? what system, etc

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sigher posted:

it sucks on the deck though ironically, since it's converted for mouse only

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what are you trying to play? what system, etc

Pretty broad honestly. I have a switch so I'm not too worried about replaying snes stuff for the millionth time, but I want to make this thing as versitile as possible. I downloaded retroarch but apparently that's not the right way to do it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really fuckin hate retroarch and how convoluted it is to set up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Weird problem with dead cells:

Was playing last night in desktop mode, put it to sleep. Woke it today, game ran briefly, then minimized. When I went back to it, no audio.

Reboot deck. Still no audio in dead cells. Uninstall it, reboot deck. Reinstall. Play Zero Dawn - that has audio. Still no audio in Dead Cells.

Uninstall it again after browsing to local content folder. Delete remaining folder after uninstalling. Reboot deck. Reinstall again. Still no loving audio in dead cells! Go in via desktop, look at audio -- I don't see anything weird in the OS settings.

No issues with other games; am on the verge of resetting the loving thing. Have not done much in the way of customization or anything weird.

go to desktop mode and run the game, and then check in taskbar in case the game's been muted in KDE itself. every app has its own volume slider both in taskbar and if you click on the sound control in KDE

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kaddish posted:

After turning down pedestrian density I’m getting a smooth 60 fps in Sleeping Dogs. It defaulted to extreme for some reason.

However, I just had a crash right at the end of the night club mission.

Insanite posted:

Haven't reached that part, yet.

Please don't break my heart/make me file a bug report. :ohdear:

Trip report: finished that early night club mission. No crash! Sleeping Dogs still running perfectly for me. Are you on stable, or something else? Maybe try it again w/logging enabled?

Also, JFC, forgot how cool this game is.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

I really fuckin hate retroarch and how convoluted it is to set up.

Emudeck it, I haven't had to mess with any of RetroArch's settings.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there any way to switcheroo the accept and cancel buttons? I keep fumbling it up since I've been a Nintendo guy forever. (Also my PSPs are Japanese models so they use the Nintendo convention.)

This has been a really exciting voyage of 'having to actually look down at the controller' for me lately too.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, you just need to make a general controller profile to your liking and save it. Then you can apply it to any game you like.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

But what about the Steam Deck game mode interface itself?

That was the one nut I couldn't crack.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

sigher posted:

Emudeck it, I haven't had to mess with any of RetroArch's settings.
Emudeck still relies on a ton of RetroArch for many of the emulators, so you still need to be familiar with the program’s quirks.

It’s a real user-unfriendly Apple “you’re holding it wrong” style app that requires you to get into the head of the programmer and never make a mistake.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just download the specific emulator for what you want to play. it'll be easier, and you won't be supporting a bad guy

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

JazzFlight posted:

Emudeck still relies on a ton of RetroArch for many of the emulators, so you still need to be familiar with the program’s quirks.

It’s a real user-unfriendly Apple “you’re holding it wrong” style app that requires you to get into the head of the programmer and never make a mistake.

Emudeck does like 95% of the work for you with scripts. Nearly all the RA config is done during the setup so that the only work you need to do is move games and BIOS to their proper folders. All the controller shortcuts, video config, picking the most compatible cores, etc. are done by the emudeck scripts.

There's a quick reference table on the emudeck github that has all the controller shortcuts listed. The only config I have done in any emulators for 3 months has been to manually add cheats to the GTA PSP games for right-stick camera control and 60 FPS gameplay or open the quick menu to use the left analog in games that use the d-pad. Scraping to get metadata and screenshots, too, if you want to count that. Everything else has been open emulation station, pick game, play it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Insanite posted:

Trip report: finished that early night club mission. No crash! Sleeping Dogs still running perfectly for me. Are you on stable, or something else? Maybe try it again w/logging enabled?

Also, JFC, forgot how cool this game is.

That was my only crash, it's been smooth sailing since then. And yeah, Sleeping Dogs is like in like my top 30ish games of all time.

Sucks there is no cloud save though.

Also, also, I've been to Hong Kong since I've played the game so it's cool to sort of recognize some places but they took quite a few liberties. Like, it looks accurate at times when just walking around and some of the buildings are where they should be but the layout/map is totally wonky and scaled oddly. And of course, there is no Kowloon which is where we actually stayed.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kaddish posted:

That was my only crash, it's been smooth sailing since then. And yeah, Sleeping Dogs is like in like my top 30ish games of all time.

Sucks there is no cloud save though.

Also, also, I've been to Hong Kong since I've played the game so it's cool to sort of recognize some places but they took quite a few liberties. Like, it looks accurate at times when just walking around and some of the buildings are where they should be but the layout/map is totally wonky and scaled oddly. And of course, there is no Kowloon which is where we actually stayed.

Watch Dogs Legion is not good but it does have a really good videogame representation of London, which is a city I know well. And yeah, it's a bit weird. Like I can get anywhere from anywhere because I know the way, but it's off-kilter and there are chunks missing. Natural to game development but I guess most of the time I just wouldn't know.