Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Interesting article about how China's central government is becoming deeply concerned about the destabilizing potential of...LARPs.

https://www.economist.com/china/2022/07/07/chinas-communist-party-cracks-down-on-larping

quote:

Despite lockdowns, the number of venues for playing it has risen from fewer than 3,000 in 2019 to tens of thousands. A Chinese firm, iiMedia Research, estimates fans spent $2.7bn on the game in 2021. From a survey of internet users it concluded that, by 2021, jubensha (LARPs) had become the third most popular offline pastime after the cinema and the gym.

The game is what is known outside China as “live action role-playing”, or larping. Larpers dress up as the characters they play and remain immersed in those identities as they interact with other players to achieve specified goals: solving a murder is a common one. Venues have several rooms. Participants choose a script and occupy a room decorated to match the theme (spooky music optional). A game can last for hours. One attraction is that jubensha helps as an ice-breaker when dating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

[Thing about China], but at what cost?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is that really LARP or like also those escape rooms

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Plutonis posted:

Is that really LARP or like also those escape rooms

It's a murder mystery game. 劇本殺 jubensha 'opera/cinematic murder'.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I wish every escape room here in the US were instead an elaborately themed murder mystery roleplay experience.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bottom Liner posted:

I wish every escape room here in the US were instead an elaborately themed murder mystery roleplay experience.

A local place near me is actually doing it in more of a LARP style. Like there's still puzzles, but the overall gimmick is that the gamemaster has a soundboard and controls, and is also playing some kind of NPC via a soundboard of most common responses.

So they had one themed room of being in a spaceship and talking to different AIs, and another room was fantasy themed and talking to a tree spirit, and a spirit trapped in a scarecrow in the centre of the room. You couldn't progress the room without chatting to the NPCs, and you were encouraged to stay in-character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Goddamn, same. I've always wanted to do a murder mystery dinner party, but have been dragged to so many lame escape rooms instead.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

The last one I did started as a fairly mundane murder mystery but as we progressed it got crazier and crazier until in the last room we literally had to defeat a Beholder.

It was awesome. 10/10 Mother's day.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn, same. I've always wanted to do a murder mystery dinner party, but have been dragged to so many lame escape rooms instead.

I did one back in high school for a friend's birthday, it was pretty fun. Though for awkward teens you get the inevitable moment when two people find out they're having an affair.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Some of the Murder Mystery Party kits sold in the US are that style. You assign each player a character and a script, and at the end of acting out the script you have to guess who the murderer is. I'm sure that just like ours, though, they have a bunch of different takes on the premise. Personally, I'm more a fan of the scriptless ones with like money and poo poo you can exchange to gain information.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nickoten posted:

Some of the Murder Mystery Party kits sold in the US are that style. You assign each player a character and a script, and at the end of acting out the script you have to guess who the murderer is. I'm sure that just like ours, though, they have a bunch of different takes on the premise. Personally, I'm more a fan of the scriptless ones with like money and poo poo you can exchange to gain information.

I don't think ours had a script, exactly. If I remember right it was a set of bullet points/suspicions about other characters and you'd get more with each chapter/course. So you finish the appetizer and say "oh yeah, you were pretty angry the afternoon of the murder, what was that about" and they either just read the reason or actually try to act and get cagey. Some people in my group were drama nerds so they went for it, but I doubt any of us did a good job or anything. We had fun.

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but if those games sound up your alley there's a Korean show from about 5 years ago called Crime Scene (크라임씬) where TV celebrities do a bunch of them. Fansubs exist.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Is anyone familiar with any RPGs that strictly define their combat encounters to sort of construct them start to front as a relatively brief but still crunchy broader overview-type thing? World of Darkness 5th edition put the idea in my head of the "three act combat" where it's a handful of very directed rolls, not necessarily an "always three turns" thing or whatever, but rules and guidance for something that doesn't just eat whole sessions, and that being the entirety of the combat subsystem, but also not just by being super light, airy or one-roll.

Of course it's WoD, so the actual "three-turn combat" guidance is just "use the hoary old blow-by-blow system, but stop after three turns and the ST gives you the wrap-up based on the vibes of those three turns."

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 14, 2022

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Old Tree posted:

Is anyone familiar with any RPGs that strictly define their combat encounters to sort of construct them start to front as a relatively brief but still crunchy broader overview-type thing? World of Darkness 5th edition put the idea in my head of the "three act combat" where it's a handful of very directed rolls, not necessarily an "always three turns" thing or whatever, but rules and guidance for something that doesn't just eat whole sessions, and that being the entirety of the combat subsystem, but also not just by being super light, airy or one-roll.

Of course it's WoD, so the actual "three-turn combat" guidance is just "use the hoary old blow-by-blow system, but stop after three turns and the ST gives you the wrap-up based on the vibes of those three turns."

Offhand, Trollbabe has a very strict system where a conflict is basically an opposed roll you can escalate if you don't like the outcome, with escalating risks along with that. Witchblood, which takes a lot of influence from Trollbabe, does the same.

Cortex Prime defaults to treating conflicts as a quick back-and-forth of rolls until one side fails to beat the other's last roll (or concedes).

Hollowpoint also has a very structured setup for how action scenes work.

Dogs in the Vineyard has its structured "raise and call" system.

Ironsworn and Starforged both envision conflicts as a progress track you fill up, and Forged in the Dark games usually give at least the option of modeling a fight as one or more progress clocks.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That Old Tree posted:

Pelgrane’s Yellow King RPG does a really neat one-roll combat round with different requirements to succeed depending on what you want the combat to achieve (ie. driving someone off, capturing them, killing them). It’s a really neat idea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Came in to recommend checking out Hollowpoint before I saw GIP's post.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thanks a ton for the suggestions.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wow hollowpoint sounds fantastic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lumbermouth posted:

Pelgrane’s Yellow King RPG does a really neat one-roll combat round with different requirements to succeed depending on what you want the combat to achieve (ie. driving someone off, capturing them, killing them). It’s a really neat idea.
Robin Laws's earlier Hero Wars/HeroQuest does something similar - everything (combat or non-combat) is a skill challenge, you match your most appropriate skill against your opponent's most appropriate skill, apply modifiers, roll a single D20, and interpret the result.

Some skill challenges are extended multi-round affairs, with each side raising and lowering stakes until the whole thing is resolved, but you're only supposed to bring those out at narratively appropriate times (the fight against the big bad at the bottom of the dungeon, etc.). Most fights are handled by a single die roll - matching Bandit 14 (+3 because of ambush) versus your Sword & Shield FIghting 3W, for example.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shadowrun charity bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/shadowrun-trpg-catalyst-game-labs-books

Considering what I heard about Shadowrun 6, not sure if I'll take it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's not 100% the same, but the Sentinels of the Multiverse supers RPG has a clock attached to every combat that ends the combat when it reaches the end, whether you've already won or not. Generally everyone in the combat will get about seven turns each then it's all over, and as the clock ticks down things get more extreme and chaotic.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shadowrun charity bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/shadowrun-trpg-catalyst-game-labs-books

I remember 4 (and 4.5 to a lesser extent) being extremely stingy on content in the core book, particularly on stuff like hacking, and I seem to recall 5 having a similar problem.

I said if I ever played it again, I'd want to use a different system like Feng Shui. I don't know why. I honestly never got into the magic and fantasy race stuff in Shadowrun. Fortunately, I think that game can remain in the past. In the ten years or so since I played, not only has some of that stuff probably not aged super well, but also actually good cyberpunk RPGs have been printed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Magnetic North posted:

I remember 4 (and 4.5 to a lesser extent) being extremely stingy on content in the core book, particularly on stuff like hacking, and I seem to recall 5 having a similar problem.

I said if I ever played it again, I'd want to use a different system like Feng Shui. I don't know why. I honestly never got into the magic and fantasy race stuff in Shadowrun. Fortunately, I think that game can remain in the past. In the ten years or so since I played, not only has some of that stuff probably not aged super well, but also actually good cyberpunk RPGs have been printed.

I'd actually love to hear that because Shadowrun takes up a lot of space but the things that are really unique about shadowrun (bookkeeping more complicated than running most businesses, really uncomfortable native american fetishization, crappy fantasy, and really creepy "purity" system) are all profoundly unappealing to me, but slapping on some mirror shades to rob a cyber-bank is cool.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Tulip posted:

I'd actually love to hear that because Shadowrun takes up a lot of space but the things that are really unique about shadowrun (bookkeeping more complicated than running most businesses, really uncomfortable native american fetishization, crappy fantasy, and really creepy "purity" system) are all profoundly unappealing to me, but slapping on some mirror shades to rob a cyber-bank is cool.

I admit the only one I know by name is the goon project Hard Wired Island which I have not played but looks cool based on the quick reference sheet. I just assume there are others because motherfuckers nowadays release like 60 RPGs a day, there's gotta be some good stuff in there.

Funny this should come up today, because yesterday I thought about O'Neill cylinders for the first time in a while.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The new Homeworld: Revelations game (apparently) doesn't include any rules for space fleet combat, which seems like a bold move for an RPG based on a game about... <checks notes> space fleet combat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Should each player get a fleet or do they cooperate on running one?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shadowrun 6e just came out with a new book called Shadowrun Companion which contains "alternate" rules which address loads of major complains about how 6e made no sense what-so-ever and did loads of pants-on-head stupid changes. The bundle doesn't contain it, which pretty much means it's nigh unplayable in that state.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Shadowrun 6e just came out with a new book called Shadowrun Companion which contains "alternate" rules which address loads of major complains about how 6e made no sense what-so-ever and did loads of pants-on-head stupid changes. The bundle doesn't contain it, which pretty much means it's nigh unplayable in that state.

I'd be interested to hear about what some of these changes are, just from a design perspective.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

I'd be interested to hear about what some of these changes are, just from a design perspective.

Off the top of my head they made strength matter for melee attacks and redid a bunch of things they did for calculating edge, like making armor matter.

There was a pretty extensive list that are less “we listen!” And more “wow, we really did gently caress this edition up!”.

Edit: the book is called sixth world companion. You can look up reviews for more details

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 18, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Siivola posted:

"now you pick a class: pilot, gunner, shipbreaker, scientist, or fleet command."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Siivola posted:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"now you pick a class: pilot, gunner, shipbreaker, scientist, or fleet command."

I'd go with each player having command of their own ship(which solves the issue many sci-fi games have about making everyone relevant during space combat) and the "class" choices being what type of combat ship it is, ranging from small* and speedy Corvettes to titanic Dreadnoughts

*well comparatively, I'm picturing more in the line of Legends of The Galactic Heroes than Star Wars in terms of scale

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CitizenKeen posted:

The new Homeworld: Revelations game (apparently) doesn't include any rules for space fleet combat, which seems like a bold move for an RPG based on a game about... <checks notes> space fleet combat.

Does it or does it not consider Cataclysm to be canon and Homeworld 2 to be non-canon? Because those parts are very important for my interest in any piece of Homeworld media.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PurpleXVI posted:

Does it or does it not consider Cataclysm to be canon and Homeworld 2 to be non-canon? Because those parts are very important for my interest in any piece of Homeworld media.

I don't know (I didn't pre-order through Modiphius, I'm holding out for my FLGS, so I'm basing this on hearsay). They did employ Martin Cirulis, who was the lead writer of both Homeworld 1 and Homeworld: Cataclysm Emergence. It apparently does not mention anything from Homeworld 2, but doesn't make a stand.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

PurpleXVI posted:

Why not have Homeworld 1, Cataclysm and 2 be canon? Does it somehow not interact?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Why not have Homeworld 1, Cataclysm and 2 be canon? Does it somehow not interact?

HW2 doesn't outright contradict Cata, but it also kind of pretends it didn't happen. It would not be hard to fit them all into the same game with only minor tweaks.

The problem is that HW2 was dogshit, so "tweaking the setting so that you can have HW2 in there as well as HW1 and Cata" is not actually something you should do.

CitizenKeen posted:

Depending on when and where it's set, I think HW definitely has room for RPGs that don't directly involve space fleet combat, with it happening either in the background or not at all. Like, just off the top of my head:
- slice of life RPG about defrosted Kushan survivors living and working on the Mothership during the events of HW1
- scavengers or shipbreakers exploring the debris ring that formed after the battle for Hiigara, or, for some extra biological horror, one of the battlefields from Cata
- if you want a heavier combat focus, play as one of the boarding teams who has to deal with all those Taiidani ships the salvette crews keep dropping into the mothership's hangar
- wind it back to the start and play as one of the scientific expeditions exploring the depths of the crashed ship on Kushan
- diplomats to the Bentusi or other alien races post battle of Hiigara, trying to deal with both doing your job of establishing diplomatic relations with the galactic society the Kushan were isolated from and dealing with political intrigue, assassination attempts, etc from people who don't like the way you've upset the status quo

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 18, 2022

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mr.Misfit posted:

It's been a long time, but from what I remember 2 mostly ignores Cataclysm's plot and sets up a bunch of contradictions.

Edit: or what ToxicFrog said.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

drrockso20 posted:

I'd go with each player having command of their own ship(which solves the issue many sci-fi games have about making everyone relevant during space combat) and the "class" choices being what type of combat ship it is, ranging from small* and speedy Corvettes to titanic Dreadnoughts

*well comparatively, I'm picturing more in the line of Legends of The Galactic Heroes than Star Wars in terms of scale

I can't remember the name of it off hand, but there's a game that does exactly this with an AI fleet. Something that would never work with my usual group but presented interesting ideas. Never did see any play reports of whatever it was.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can't remember the name of it off hand, but there's a game that does exactly this with an AI fleet. Something that would never work with my usual group but presented interesting ideas. Never did see any play reports of whatever it was.

Transit: The Spaceship RPG. Every PC is an AI in command of a starship with a squishy organic crew who may or may not obey their orders.

Also one of the stats is called Rampancy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mirage posted:

Transit: The Spaceship RPG. Every PC is an AI in command of a starship with a squishy organic crew who may or may not obey their orders.

Also one of the stats is called Rampancy.

Yeah, that's the one. Seemed interesting. Concept is too alien to sell my group on and sure as gently caress beyond my GMing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SkyeAuroline posted:

Transit.

I played a campaign of it, it was quite good! The rules have some problems, specifically in copy-editing, but the basic structure of 'you have two classes, one is your brain and one is your body, and the body is disposable' is very well implemented, and I rather liked the rules about how your crew can fight back against you.

It was the one AW like where I had +4 as a regular pool, which was...truly disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Man I want to play transit now it sounds right up my alley