Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hammer Bro. posted:

But what about the Steam Deck game mode interface itself?

That was the one nut I couldn't crack.

This is a shot in the dark, but you could try going to desktop mode -> open steam -> settings -> controller settings and see if you can change it there. It should open the "big picture" config, which may or may not apply to game mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

sigher posted:

Emudeck it, I haven't had to mess with any of RetroArch's settings.

Yes, a thousand times this. Emudeck has been my most hassle free emulation experience ever. The only "hard" part is actually getting the roms onto the Deck. I've played NES, SNES, N64, PSP, GBA, and Genesis games without any configuration tweeks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bloodplay it again posted:

Emudeck does like 95% of the work for you with scripts. Nearly all the RA config is done during the setup so that the only work you need to do is move games and BIOS to their proper folders. All the controller shortcuts, video config, picking the most compatible cores, etc. are done by the emudeck scripts.

There's a quick reference table on the emudeck github that has all the controller shortcuts listed. The only config I have done in any emulators for 3 months has been to manually add cheats to the GTA PSP games for right-stick camera control and 60 FPS gameplay or open the quick menu to use the left analog in games that use the d-pad. Scraping to get metadata and screenshots, too, if you want to count that. Everything else has been open emulation station, pick game, play it.
But if you want to change button configs or shaders or display/emulation options, or if retroachievements glitches out, etc. then it’s a steep cliff learning curve that you bash your head against until you do it the “right” way. Some options have to be saved as general overrides, some as "presets," some as specific overrides in sub-menus...
First time I installed Emudeck, the default options added bezel overlays that could not be removed, for instance, even with overrides. Whether it was a glitch or not, it was a pain in the rear end.

I love having a lot of emulators under one common group of settings, but the program really feels like the GIMP of emulation.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 18, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I highly recommend tuning your game quicksettings, you can often squeeze out extra battery life with no impact.

For example I've been playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 at 60fps and it was getting roughly 2:30 hours. I popped on the detailed telemetry and noticed that the game was drawing 15 watts for some reason. The gpu was drawing 0.6 watts and the CPU was doing 5.7. So I turned on the thermal TDP limit and dropped it step by step until the game slowed down, and then I went back up a step. Turns out I could go as low as 4 on the bar, which caused the CPU to drop from 5.7 watts to 1.7 watts. Now MvC3 gets 4:30 hours with no impact.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

What games have people been emulating? Looking for some inspiration. Tried some Earthbound and I can't believe how well it looked on the screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sailormoon posted:

What games have people been emulating? Looking for some inspiration. Tried some Earthbound and I can't believe how well it looked on the screen.

Many PS2 games look fantastic on the screen when using 2X scaling. Level-5's cel-shaded RPGs almost look like they could come out today. (especially DQ8)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 18, 2022

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Playstation games in Duckstation with 3x resolution, 4x disc speed, instant seek, and the pgxp workaround to fix affine texture warping are like if sony released a psx pro in 1999

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JazzFlight posted:

But if you want to change button configs or shaders or display/emulation options, or if retroachievements glitches out, etc. then it’s a steep cliff learning curve that you bash your head against until you do it the “right” way. Some options have to be saved as general overrides, some as "presets," some as specific overrides in sub-menus...
First time I installed Emudeck, the default options added bezel overlays that could not be removed, for instance, even with overrides. Whether it was a glitch or not, it was a pain in the rear end.

I love having a lot of emulators under one common group of settings, but the program really feels like the GIMP of emulation.

The bezel overlays can be removed, just in RetroArch's lovely settings, but everything else was set up in EmuDeck and I've never had to tweak any settings or controls.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The bezels are an option in the Emudeck script also, you can just run it again and uncheck them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So nobody has made a straightforward, easy to use, multiplatform launcher? Retropie is pretty straightforward you'd think it could be put onto something like this

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Opopanax posted:

So nobody has made a straightforward, easy to use, multiplatform launcher? Retropie is pretty straightforward you'd think it could be put onto something like this
Emudeck installs Emulation Station, that’s the only app I launch that serves as a frontend for all the systems and looks great after you scrape box art, screens, videos, etc… I’m just whining about the hours I’ve spent configuring Retroarch on all the different devices I’ve had over the years. If all you care about is “play game, no tweaks” then it’s amazing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think I paid $650 for a dedicated pressure washer simulator machine.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

sailormoon posted:

SNES widescreen hacks:
Super Mario World widescreen hack
Super Metroid widescreen patch

PSX 2D games:
Einhander
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

PSP:
Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions
What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord
What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord 2
Prinny - Can I Really Be the Hero
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood

Sega CD:
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco - The Tides of Time

Nintendo DS:
Kirby - Canvas Curse

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 18, 2022

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Opopanax posted:

Emudeck just puts the individual games in steam, no need to even launch the emulator first.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Just installed E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy on my Deck. Seems to work, even if the default controls are borked. Top-rated community options seems playable.

This is how madness happens.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

sailormoon posted:

Atari Video Pinball
Tapper
Money Puzzle Exchanger

Also been trying to figure out a translated version of Big Strategy Pachinko on NES but it is still incomprehensible.

Tokyo Jungle, but do have to fiddle with settings on that one still because it seems to use all the memory and crash by the end of the tutorial.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Truga posted:

go to desktop mode and run the game, and then check in taskbar in case the game's been muted in KDE itself. every app has its own volume slider both in taskbar and if you click on the sound control in KDE

The answer turned out to be more bizarre than this and had something to do with cloud sync. Note that in each case where I had audio problems, I went into the audio menu to verify, and try toggling, the state of the mute button, so I am pretty sure of the chain of events here.

I did a complete reset on the steam deck, because it's fast and most of my stuff is on an SD card anyway, which I removed for the duration. Fresh setup, reinstall game -> no audio. Check menu, audio all set. Go to desktop, look at audio settings, everything is normal. The only unusual thing was that the game initially complained about cloud sync on first start up. Because of that, my next step was to go to my desktop computer, and start the game. No audio. At this point, feel like I am going out of my mind, but check audio settings and, the game is muted. Uncheck that, audio on desktop PC.

I shut down the game on the desktop, restarted it on the deck, and had audio. Seems like some kind of fuckup with cloud sync state and the game being in a perpetual mute state, no idea why launching from a second machine mattered. Steam Desktop was running on that PC for the duration of all this, which could matter.

Fuckin weird man

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I want space cadet pinball

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

an iksar marauder posted:

Epic pinball and jazz jackrabbit.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

https://alula.github.io/SpaceCadetPinball/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
With the rate it's been going, I wonder if I'll see an email today. It'd be far earlier than the tracker expected.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.k4zmu2a.spacecadetpinball

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I've had trouble getting joysticks to work in PSX games which irks me, and then when I tried using another emulator it refuses to recognize my BIOS, so that's been somethin I've been working on.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Anyone know how to reset the Desktop controller configuration to the system defaults?

I got mine pretty jacked up, and unfortunately it seem the Deck defaults is not among the existing templates. I tried a factory reset but it appears to be a cloud autosave.

Edit: So I think I got this to work by copying over these files, ugh:
~/.local/share/Steam/controller_base/desktop_neptune.vdf to ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Steam Controller Configs/(steam_id)/config/413080/controller_neptune.vdf

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

With the rate it's been going, I wonder if I'll see an email today. It'd be far earlier than the tracker expected.

Yoooooooooooooooooooo I was right.

All paid and ready to go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Framboise posted:

Yoooooooooooooooooooo I was right.

All paid and ready to go.

Hell yeah! Get ready for some indecisive gaming!

Also the 1TB Sd card is so fuckin overkill lol

I’ve got so much poo poo installed now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I ordered one of these (512GB) because I'm dumb as hell. I missed the original email so I sent a support ticket in and they let me buy it.

Figure at worst I can use it as some JRPG/emulator/Linux machine at my desk which is kinda cool?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

I ordered one of these (512GB) because I'm dumb as hell. I missed the original email so I sent a support ticket in and they let me buy it.

Figure at worst I can use it as some JRPG/emulator/Linux machine at my desk which is kinda cool?

At the very worst you can flip it for more than you paid for it.

That's a pretty high floor honestly.

(note: I am obviously not advocating for scalping, just saying that it's not a wash if you suddenly have buyer's remorse and don't end up wanting it.)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

not a dumb move at all. you will likely fall in love with it, as it owns.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I bought a 1 TB SD card to put in my Switch so I could put my 512 GB SD card from my Switch into my Deck.

If that sounds like an awful idea, one difference is you "can" "hotswap" the SD on a Deck, but not on a Switch.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Telltolin posted:

I've had trouble getting joysticks to work in PSX games which irks me, and then when I tried using another emulator it refuses to recognize my BIOS, so that's been somethin I've been working on.
Not every PSX game supports them. But also sometimes you need to push the "Analog" button to get it started (or stopped). So check to see if that's mapped and flip the setting for it in those games.

But again, some games just do not support it and you can add the input to be dpad input on stick.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, PS1 was the generation where analog controls were first introduced, and they were introduced part-way into the system's life. Most games on PS1 treat the d-pad as primary and may or may not support analog controls. Earlier titles will not support it at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I got two 512GB cards instead of a TB, figured I could at least install Windows on one of them. It sucks rear end for the most part, booting straight into Steam big picture is the way to go but its still a pretty lovely experience vs just using SteamOS. At least now I can play Genshin and game pass stuff on it though, if I feel like booting into Windows.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I looked at a 1tb card but the 512s were on sale and it was like a $180 difference. I usually only play one big game at a time so the base storage is probably enough as is, but better to have too much room and not need it.

Also got one of those HDMI switches so I can play on the tv and have some questions about that.
-Tried playing Horizon and it looked kind of crappy, but the main steam menu looks good. I fiddled with display options in game but nothing really seemed to help, is there anything I can do for it? I'm guess it's just a straight screen share so it's outputting at the deck's resolution

-this one is probably just a setting on my Reciever I need to find, but I had no sound at all. Seemed like the only audio options were speakers or external and it was set to external. When I disconnected it I still didn't have sound (confirmed it was showing speakers now) and I had to restart the deck to get it back. Is there a known thing I need to do to get sound through the HDMI, or is more likely on the other end?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Has anyone tried Troubleshooters on the Deck? Seems like it'd be a good fit if there's decent controller support, although I imagine the UI text would be quite small.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Also got one of those HDMI switches so I can play on the tv and have some questions about that.
-Tried playing Horizon and it looked kind of crappy, but the main steam menu looks good. I fiddled with display options in game but nothing really seemed to help, is there anything I can do for it? I'm guess it's just a straight screen share so it's outputting at the deck's resolution
It does default to deck resolution yeah, but if you go into the properties there is a drop down to choose what resolution the container is, and then you might have to set the resolution manually in game. You won't be able to crank it without loving the framerate though, might be better off sticking to 720p or 1080p and turning on fsr.

Idk about the audio, it Just Worked for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

Also the 1TB Sd card is so fuckin overkill lol

I have a 512 Deck and a 1TB card and I'm almost full... lmao

I keep installing backlog poo poo I never got around to and I wanted to go through it all before uninstalling and that's lead to this... also I've started putting my Switch titles on here and they're slowly eating up a nice chunk of space.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I bought a 1 TB SD card to put in my Switch so I could put my 512 GB SD card from my Switch into my Deck.

If that sounds like an awful idea, one difference is you "can" "hotswap" the SD on a Deck, but not on a Switch.

Do you own enough games on Switch to require a 1TB SD card? I have something like 200 games and that just pushes over the 400GB card that I bought and I'm not willing to install all my games at once.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PowerBeard posted:

I'm not willing to install all my games at once.

coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

PowerBeard posted:

and I'm not willing to install all my games at once.
but...why?

What if you need to play a bad port of Ark: Survival Evolved while on an airplane!?