Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also worth noting that tons of people get vocational training and do "trade school" through community colleges, which are certainly included in every debt forgiveness plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

the_steve posted:

Trade schools are included in student loan forgiveness, but for whatever reason, the narrative ignores that part. Likely in order to make it less appealing and easier to turn sentiment against it, because then they can keep hammering the "Lol, this snowflake wants you to pay for his Underwater Basket Weaving degree and not get a real job." drum.

Pretty much. It's painting a picture of "Us vs Them". Who needs that fancy book learning when you can drop a couple of thousand dollars that everyone totally has saved up on a HVAC certification?

I had acquaintances back home who had to work a lovely pizza job in order to make ends meet while they got their HVAC cert stuff. Hell, apprenticeships are a thing, but they seem to be based on who you know, sometimes.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

It's fun to check out this thread for the first time in weeks and have this be the first post to pop up! I'm sure the meme creator re-evaluated their position after the Highland Park shooter massacred seven and shot another fifty people with a legally-obtained assault rifle

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zombie Dachshund posted:

It's fun to check out this thread for the first time in weeks and have this be the first post to pop up! I'm sure the meme creator re-evaluated their position after the Highland Park shooter massacred seven and shot another fifty people with a legally-obtained assault rifle

Nope, he was a criminal gun owner as soon as he started shooting people illegally. Duh.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's 1000% bullshit made up info, in no small part because there's no way that the police know who was behind all of those shootings (Unless they were the ones pulling the trigger)

Also an incident where a bullet struck someone with an officer involved isn't considered a shooting.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Taerkar posted:

It's 1000% bullshit made up info, in no small part because there's no way that the police know who was behind all of those shootings (Unless they were the ones pulling the trigger)

Also an incident where a bullet struck someone with an officer involved isn't considered a shooting.

Well you see no legal gun owner would ever shoot anyone, except in perfectly legal circumstances. So anyone who legally owned a gun and illegally shot someone would immediately, prior to shooting, become an illegal gun owner (the illegal modifies owner, not gun).

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Lucas Archer posted:

There's a debate out there about using double spaces after periods? That's still the standard in my job - I get items sent back if they don't have a double space after a period. It's what I was taught, and I assumed that's how it still was all around the business world. It's automatic for me at this point when I type.

I'm maybe a bit late to the party. I work at a Swedish government agency, and I have a lot of contact with both national and EU agencies and no one does double space after a period. No one. I hadn't even heard about it before this Asheville.

And we have a lot of old people roaming the halls. Could this be an American thing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Double spacing after a period predates typewriters. It's not an american thing, but it is an anglo thing. poo poo like protestant bibles in english did it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Worked with a guy in the military who was raised in England and he'd lose his mind if we didn't put enough space after a period in our handwritten logbooks. He learned penmanship over there, and I guess that was part of it?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

nagel posted:

I'm maybe a bit late to the party. I work at a Swedish government agency, and I have a lot of contact with both national and EU agencies and no one does double space after a period. No one. I hadn't even heard about it before this Asheville.

And we have a lot of old people roaming the halls. Could this be an American thing?

I'm in my early 40's, American, and that's how I was taught in sixth grade, 1991, when we first started learning typing on computers. I've never been told or had any reason to change my double spacing after periods. Hell, even just typing out this reply, I noticed that I automatically without thinking hit the space key twice after I put a period in there. It's ingrained in my muscle memory.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Same, it's not something I think about, just years of typing and repetition and muscle memory. Had a typing class in freshman year of highschool, and we worked on word processors, even though PCs were already well established at this point (95).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s how I was trained growing up too. Sometime in my late college years the shift to single space happened. What a dumb loving thing to care about. I would get points taken off for not doing it. It’s the perfect boomer meme when you think about it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was taught to double space in middle school and elementary school typing classes in the late 90s and did it then. I don't anymore and haven't heard anyone ever say anything about it. I actually completely forgot it was a thing until this thread.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hey kids! This is what listening to cops when you’re white is like!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What's the safety lesson?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Making compliance a game with tame police officers in a controlled environment might protect you from a street execution some day!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I bet somehow they collect your fingerprint during that procedure.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

simplefish posted:

give all your data to the police as it is in your best interest. don't worry they are here to protect you.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

simplefish posted:

Leave a red handprint on a cop car so the cops can compare to the one you’ll leave at school later.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

litany of gulps posted:

Also worth noting that tons of people get vocational training and do "trade school" through community colleges, which are certainly included in every debt forgiveness plan.

wait

wait

WAIT

do you have to PAY for secondary education??? :stonk:

here college is free, except the right wing ghouls have managed to get tuition payments for students coming from outside EU and European economic area, probably with the plan that eventually it would extend to everyone

but even the ghouls believe that it is in their best interest to get trained work force, for which free education is superior

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 15, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nenonen posted:

wait

wait

WAIT

do you have to PAY for secondary education??? :stonk:

here college is free, except the right wing ghouls have managed to get tuition payments for students coming from outside EU and European economic area, probably with the plan that eventually it would extend to everyone

but even the ghouls believe that it is in their best interest to get trained work force, for which free education is superior

My goon in christ how have you been in these threads since 2009 and not realized that college costs like $80,000 minimum in the USA

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

My goon in christ how have you been in these threads since 2009 and not realized that college costs like $80,000 minimum in the USA

I may have noticed, but is vocational school (which I understand as trade school) and high school the same, that you have to pay for them?? Or does trade school in this context mean a polytechnic?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not an empty quote (it's an empty empty quote)

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Nenonen posted:

I may have noticed, but is vocational school (which I understand as trade school) and high school the same, that you have to pay for them?? Or does trade school in this context mean a polytechnic?

Public K-12 (so including "high school") is free but there's always the Private option that you pay for if you don't want massively underfunded and overcrowded classrooms that are still operating in no child left behind mode (aka teach to the lowest common denominator so they can all pass standardized tests).

Post high school any trade, polytechnic, college, ect. ect. are going to cost you. You can get a 2-year associates degree from a community college, which will often have some trade related offerings, for relatively affordable rates.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There is a terminology mixup happening.

Secondary education is high school, typically grades 9-12, and public school is free in the US until grade 12 (age 17-18 usually).

Some high schools have vocational classes and even special diploma programs for students not planning to go to college or university, but this differs from vocational school, which is usually something you do after graduating high school to get a certificate in whatever your specialty labor will be. It does cost money just like a college degree and our "community colleges" will offer both university prep gen ed and vocational courses.

Edit: beaten.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
US education system, in general, loosely:

Pre-School
Kindergarten (Age 6)

Primary School: Grades 1-5
Middle School: Grades 5-8
Secondary/High School: Grades 9-12

Post Secondary: College, Trades, Grad School, etc...

Everything post secondary requires you to mortgage your life to afford.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

I'm assuming you're in Germany or somewhere with a similar system? In the United States, we used to teach trades/vocational stuff in the public high schools, but it was essentially deemed racist (and it was, for that matter), as all of the whiter/wealthier kids would go into the advanced or college tracks and the darker/poorer kids would be sent into the trade or vocational tracks. We collectively phased a lot of vocational training out of the high school system and tried to replace it with a mentality of "everyone should go to college!" Obviously, this is flawed for a number of completely self-evident reasons.

Today, vocational training is starting to get phased back into the system, and we're seeing a huge expansion of community college involvement with high schools offering lots of dual credit style courses. There's a lot of flaws with these systems, but that's a whole separate subject. Access is still fairly limited or spotty to programs like this in many parts of the country, too.

Suffice it to say that most people do not get any meaningful career preparation at any point in the K-12 system in the United States. Most of that training is done in the community college or trade school systems. Typically in the States, community colleges are relatively low cost post-secondary schools that offer two year degrees, various certifications, and vocational training. A 3 credit hour class at a community college might cost you about 300 dollars.

Trade school is usually used to refer to private for-profit vocational schools that specialize in certain fields - what you would call a polytechnic, I believe. American for-profit trade schools tend to be extremely expensive (comparable to 4 year university degrees) and rely heavily on advertising and predatory lending practices. Trump University is a sort of extreme example of this kind of thing, talking up a big game about how if you just invest your money into this program, you'll be the next big real estate hotshot with training and connections. Other schools do the same thing with varying veneers of legitimacy. Take a 6 month accelerated course at our institute and learn video game design so you can make a fortune programming video games in the career of your dreams! Work on F-1 race cars after a 90 day intense training program for the low cost of 25,000, etc.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Alright, that clears it up. Here there is a difference after primary school, you choose either high school which prepares you for college or vocational school which prepares you for work life or polytechnic (there are other routes too, but that's how it usually goes).

Until recently secondary education wasn't completely free in Finland, but the current government made secondary education compulsory and with that required books have to be provided free as well as equipment for vocational school students. So for example, knives for cook students, which they previously had to buy from own pocket. It's peanuts compared to the cost of the school, and all of that is peanuts compared to if a young person ends sidetracked without work, guidance or social services.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Thanks for all the informative posts! The terminology difference between USA and Europe is confusing. There are so many naming systems and they change and are not directly translateable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's also made more confusing by the sense that you can get cheaper degrees or degrees in shorter time frames. Community colleges are cheaper than big schools, "associate" 2 year degrees are an option for many lines of work, and so on.

You can get those thing. But when it comes down to actually getting a job an associates degree is basically the same as no college nine times out of ten. So we really only have either "high school diploma only" or "four year bachelor's at a rated school or higher"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How is your avatar Mr Met?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dameius posted:

Everything post secondary requires you to mortgage your life to afford.

And is increasingly becoming not worth it. When you really weigh the returns on the investment, unless you make over 6 figures a year, a lot of times the numbers won't add up in your favor.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I have guns that would be illegal to own in certain states because they've been in my family for a very long time and thus have never needed to be registered, and Texas doesn't give a poo poo. If I moved, then shot someone with one in the world's most obvious case of self defense (illegal owner, legal shoot), what would the narrative be from these idiots?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Islamic Shock posted:

I have guns that would be illegal to own in certain states because they've been in my family for a very long time and thus have never needed to be registered, and Texas doesn't give a poo poo. If I moved, then shot someone with one in the world's most obvious case of self defense (illegal owner, legal shoot), what would the narrative be from these idiots?

Are you white?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Are you white?
Very much so.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Then I think we all know the answer, don't we?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Then I think we all know the answer, don't we?
Hero defending himself with a WWI-era handgun inspires wave of legislation loosening gun requirements through inheritance?

I didn't actually think this one through. The unfortunate truth is that I'm so used to white privilege that I didn't even factor it in.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 19, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Islamic Shock posted:

Hero defending himself with a WWI-era handgun inspires wave of legislation loosening gun requirements through inheritance?

Local hero defending themselves with historical handgun inspires wave of Americans to take to carrying historical handguns as well, coincidentally all Walther P38s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I went to Texas Tech, one of my "friends" liked to carry his grandfather's gun. ND'd at a party that got busted and that was that.

Same dude learned my grandfather was a nazi soldier and his first thought was if I had any of his guns. Of course, that's what you do with prisoners of war, let them keep their guns. Lemme just go grab my ancestral K98k with a reichsadler and hakenkreuz on it, my most favouritest gun.