Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yup. My friend also briefly made the Jobs comparison. All about the inspiration I guess

It's not even a good comparison because the stuff that Jobs hawked (the Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, etc.) actually worked and did things ordinary people needed (or thought they needed).

A Macintosh has always been a functional computer that works and the iPhone is a functional mobile phone.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's pretty on the money because all that stuff was a strictly worse version of other devices out there that people oriented their whole identity around pretending didn't exist

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not even a good comparison because the stuff that Jobs hawked (the Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, etc.) actually worked and did things ordinary people needed (or thought they needed).

Jobs, if anything, was good at that Bill Burr line about "I want all my music to fit in my pocket. GET ON IT!" and cutting away excess. Maybe too much excess (only a few variations on a design instead of dozens to choose from), but it definitely resulted in stuff we can tangibly use.

Musk does the opposite. He keeps throwing ideas out there and hopes one sticks and we forget the promises made about the 59 others that were laughably bad.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

PhazonLink posted:

the best joke was his body being more pale and lumpy than the cliffs of the Aegean islands

Lol God drat

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

A Macintosh has always been a functional computer that works and the iPhone is a functional mobile phone.

depends how you hold it but sure

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Doug Sisk posted:

I remember the lawsuit after he called the cave diver a pedo, and everyone was positive he could not win. He won.

Musk won? What a bunch of bullshit.

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1549143234265419780?t=evqWGMNBOOcOSlrUZwps0w&s=09

He looks like John Travolta got lye dumped on him. A melting candle of a man.

The look of the genes he considers crucial to pass on to the next generation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Jobs had some really stupid ideas but nothing nearly as bad as Hyperloop

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's pretty on the money because all that stuff was a strictly worse version of other devices out there that people oriented their whole identity around pretending didn't exist

The Zune Defender has logged on

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jobs, if anything, was good at that Bill Burr line about "I want all my music to fit in my pocket. GET ON IT!" and cutting away excess. Maybe too much excess (only a few variations on a design instead of dozens to choose from), but it definitely resulted in stuff we can tangibly use.

Jobs was an rear end in a top hat but when he wanted something to be smaller, he had some amazing power moves

quote:

When engineers working on the very first iPod completed the prototype, they presented their work to Steve Jobs for his approval. Jobs played with the device, scrutinized it, weighed it in his hands, and promptly rejected it. It was too big.

The engineers explained that they had to reinvent inventing to create the iPod, and that it was simply impossible to make it any smaller. Jobs was quiet for a moment. Finally he stood, walked over to an aquarium, and dropped the iPod in the tank. After it touched bottom, bubbles floated to the top.

"Those are air bubbles," he snapped. "That means there's space in there. Make it smaller."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Mac was the first commercially successful computer (lol @ the Apple Lisa) with a graphical user interface. That was a legitimate big deal in the early 80s.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 19, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

That’s not true, though. The iPhone was like 2nd generation leap from the G1. Microsoft converted full server hardware into a ‘surface’ device that demo’d multi-touch gestures in a giant desk touch screen interface. The iPhone at launch was an 8th of the cost, way smoother in every way, had pinch to zoom google maps and it fit in your god damned pocket. Oh yeah and was a phone!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol at weird nerds trying to downplay the impact of the mac, ipod, and iphone because jobs bad and musk bad and thus so must be all they stamped their names on

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The thing about Jobs is he had confident taste, which he was able to express to both designers and engineers, which also happened to resonate with the mainstream. He was a product guy, who understood why people love some things and merely use other things, and demanded his people make the former. He was a bad manager, but he was utterly focused on making great things. He saw the Mac as being part of a long story of human art and ingenuity, from the wheel, to the pyramids, on down to today, and required that Apple's (and Next's, and Pixar's) products communicate on a cultural level, to the understandable consternation of the nerds he had to work with to get it done, and the bafflement and bemusement of some of the rest of the tech community.

Elon has zero confidence, zero taste, he's just a terminally online memelord with a zillion dollars. He is a sci-fi nerd, inspired by pop culture, and Twitter feed, and cocaine. He is a bad manager, but he is utterly focused on making what he thinks is cool and futuristic things. He insists his corporations try to make him look cool, to the understandable consternation of the nerds he has to work with to get it done, and the battlement and bemusement of everyone.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Elon Musk stinks

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

And doing all this while eating some pretentious fruit, like a pear.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bad Purchase posted:

lol at weird nerds trying to downplay the impact of the mac, ipod, and iphone because jobs bad and musk bad and thus so must be all they stamped their names on

I think it's pretty easy not to understand the significance of the original Macintosh to the history of computer if you've never had to use a command line interface like MS-DOS in your life :corsair:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

that said i think if someone gave me billions of dollars i think i'd be just like musk, doing weird poo poo that i think is cool and pissing everyone off. he's very relatable that way

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you gave me a Musk-sized fortune I guarantee I could use it better than Ol' Musky.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Elon Sucks

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I think it's pretty easy not to understand the significance of the original Macintosh to the history of computer if you've never had to use a command line interface like MS-DOS in your life :corsair:

Jobs stole it from Hewlett Packard.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Jobs had some really stupid ideas but nothing nearly as bad as Hyperloop

You can treat cancer with remedies you found online was pretty bad.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

world of warcraft deserves no mention among mmos because it copied everquest

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

porfiria posted:

As was the style at the time.

Yeah Jobs as a person sucks, and like gates had no problem doing things that were either board-line illegal or just extremely dickish. He did genuinely know design well, and had a knack for knowing what people want. Personally not a fan of a lot of the stuff he had a big hand in seeing made, but I wasn't that target audience so :shrug:. Still appreciate he did from a design/usability/marketing seem to know his poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yup. My friend also briefly made the Jobs comparison. All about the inspiration I guess.

He also pointed out how much the James Webb telescope cost vs SpaceX launches. I didn't know what to say to him about that other than to point out that there are other private space companies launching stuff, including Arianespace, which flawlessly launched JWST. He changed the subject.

I dunno, I would argue JWST is pretty drat inspiring.

I've realized people think NASA personally built things instead of having always contracted it out (hell, the Saturn V has bits by Boeing, Grumman, North American Aviation, etc. NASA was the center of the wheel.) And somehow people got it in their mind that SpaceX is innovating the idea of a company building spacecraft. It's not a coincidence that the biggest success SpaceX has had is supplying NASA with cargo vessels and some crew launches to the ISS.

comparing the cost of a rocket to the cost of a scientific installation that'll be in orbit for decades doesn't really make any loving sense

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

porfiria posted:

You mean Xerox, right? Xerox PARC is where the GUI was pioneered and developed into the Alto but their own attempt to sell it fell on its face.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

You mean Xerox, right? Xerox PARC is where the GUI was pioneered and developed into the Alto but their own attempt to sell it fell on its face.

Yeah you're right.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

chaosbreather posted:

Elon has zero confidence, zero taste, he's just a terminally online memelord with a zillion dollars. He is a sci-fi nerd, inspired by pop culture, and Twitter feed, and cocaine. He is a bad manager, but he is utterly focused on making what he thinks is cool and futuristic things. He insists his corporations try to make him look cool, to the understandable consternation of the nerds he has to work with to get it done, and the battlement and bemusement of everyone.

I get the impression Elon wants to think he's super cool, and since his daduncle was so poo poo he's desperately searching for validation from everyone

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

porfiria posted:

Yeah you're right.

There's a reason I said the Mac was the first commercially successful GUI computer, not the first ever.

Jobs was an rear end in a top hat and he didn't invent the GUI but he's the reason everything has one now. What's Elon done that's remotely as significant?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 19, 2022

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddssssssss

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strange Poon posted:

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddssssssss

My dude you have no clue how much harder I could nerd if I wanted to.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

There's a reason I said the Mac was the first commercially successful GUI computer, not the first ever.

Jobs was an rear end in a top hat and he didn't invent the GUI but he's the reason everything has one now. What's Elon done that's remotely as significant?

I'm talking about this from a place of ignorance but I have heard that SpaceX (in comparison to the poo poo that comes out of Tesla and the Boring company), actually has been innovative in the aerospace sector.

I genuinely would love to hear about how I'm wrong though.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

comparing the cost of a rocket to the cost of a scientific installation that'll be in orbit for decades doesn't really make any loving sense

Yeah, he's really into the notion of $500 laptops being bought by the government for $10,000 and other such nebulous bloat that apparently private industry will do away with. (I guess JWST would be much cheaper if it were private? Good luck getting the idea even past the first elevator pitch.) Reusable SpaceX rockets being the big one to him.

khwarezm posted:

I'm talking about this from a place of ignorance but I have heard that SpaceX (in comparison to the poo poo that comes out of Tesla and the Boring company), actually has been innovative in the aerospace sector.

From what I can tell, SpaceX is actually doing a decent job of being a reliable low-earth orbit delivery system for less cost. Hooray, a genuine space shuttle for satellites. So of course the next goal along that line is loving billboards for orbital advertising.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 19, 2022

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Strange Poon posted:

ccccccuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddssssssss

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

If I recall, in Ashley Vance's biography of Musk, from 2015, he predicts that the big car companies with their massive industrial bases and economies of scale will leapfrog Tesla in electric car innovations within the decade. Seems to be coming true. Teslas are kinda all flash and no bang?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

khwarezm posted:

spacex has done some incredible things and i think it's important while making fun of elon's many many flaws and billions of dollars not to minimise the stuff they've accomplished. they attacked the right problem (genuinely reusable rockets) in the craziest way possible (active rocket landings) and succeeded in not only scraping by but making their insane landings so routine as to be boring, which is a massive accomplishment for the craziest stunt ever performed. i genuinely think the technology they have pioneered and the shift in technology landscape will substantially change things for a lot of people, maybe even for the better.

for this reason he is far from the worst billionaire which is still, obviously, the damning category anyone could belong to

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Jobs was an rear end in a top hat but when he wanted something to be smaller, he had some amazing power moves

make it smaller. bubbles story

the easy way here is just to make it more water resistant, esp if its just a fish tank test.

ilmucche posted:

I get the impression Elon wants to think he's super cool, and since his daduncle was so poo poo he's desperately searching for validation from everyone

his what now? i thought his dad was just effing his own stepdaughter, is Elon's dad also his own uncle?

jesus gently caress why do white gently caress bois have to drag down the whole of human civ for their borken dicks and daddy issues.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tunicate posted:

I've had bosses like Jobs and to a man they've always been MASSIVE shitheads. The whole "I don't want excuses, I want results" school of management can eat my poo poo and die.

Yeah, sometimes people will bend over backwards and drive themselves to burnout and get results, but often times when your devs tell you that two weeks prior to product launch is about two years too late to come up with amazing genius ideas like "OK guys I want this thing to have an open API so people can remix it", they're right and your bullshit will just make a bad product and unhappy employees.

And usually they're also the types of assholes who look up to Jobs and try to emulate him. So gently caress Jobs.

There was a time when Apple genuinely made quality products. Sure, they were expensive as gently caress, but they were also ... well, maybe not better than the competition in every way, but they were good and could back up the insane price points with features.

But these days Apple is like Beats. It sells by brand alone and you could get a far better product at a far lower price and IMO that is the real legacy of Jobs.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 19, 2022

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And usually they're also the types of assholes who look up to Jobs and try to emulate him. So gently caress Jobs.

Jobs' methods and the myriad stories of how he "got results" through his various assholery has absolutely poisoned middle and senior management culture. Instead of leaving things to the writers, designers, programmers and everybody else hired to support a specific business, these dickheads feel the need to insert themselves in every step of the process, overriding the very experts they employ with decisions on a whim and "I don't like it" as a rejection justification. I absolutely loathe it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PhazonLink posted:

the easy way here is just to make it more water resistant, esp if its just a fish tank test.

his what now? i thought his dad was just effing his own stepdaughter, is Elon's dad also his own uncle?

jesus gently caress why do white gently caress bois have to drag down the whole of human civ for their borken dicks and daddy issues.

His dad had a daughter with that stepdaughter so elon's dad is also the father of elon's niece/nephew, so he's elon's dad and uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Gene Krantz addressing Mission Control just before the first moon landing:

"From the day of our birth we were meant for this time and place, and today we will land an American on the moon. Whatever happens here today, I will stand behind every decision you make. We came into this room as a team and we will leave as a team. And from now on no person will leave or enter this room until we've either landed, we've crashed, or we have aborted. Those are the only three outcomes from this time forward."

If Jobs were there he would probably say, "You bozos better land on the moon or you're fired. I don't want to hear any excuses like some loving 1202 alarm."