Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Morrisons in my north Hampshire town, not an area of particular deprivation, have felt the need to move all the spirits behind locked glass. :everythingisfine:

My local Tesco, in a leafy suburb (update your XLSXs) has gone from gentle springloaded knee-high open-format saloon-style barriers and/or simple nylon-rope barriers to show a checkout is closed, to full-on mechanically-operated waist-high closed-face barriers on every checkout and multiple head-height mechanical barrier doors at chokepoints and main doors.

There was less security in City 17 FFS.

I assume shoplifting is up, can't think why.

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
The Sainsbury's near me (and the Co-Op too maybe?) have big monitors above the till showing a live CCTV thing of you. One of them has MONITORING IN PROGRESS written on it. All a bit ominous tbh.

In fan related chat: took apart a slow-spinning fan the other day to lube the motor with 3-in-1 oil hoping it would help, and now for some reason the fan needs a kickstart to get spinning when the blades are on and still spins at about 10% of the speed it should. Oiling the bearings has somehow made it worse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I had to order a new fan blade last year - put the fan on after it being in the shed for 2 years. Kept hearing a pinging sound, and it was bits of the fan blades literally cracking off as it was spinning.

It's so hot that even the fans are having a "crack ping" moment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

our local coop is nearly empty because apparently the supplier just didn't turn up twice last week due to driver shortages

they are supposed to be doing a double delivery tomorrow but the manager was saying that will be useless because most of it will end up in reductions

oh and the freezers went down last night so they have no frozen stock and barely any fresh meat

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Surprise T Rex posted:

The Sainsbury's near me (and the Co-Op too maybe?) have big monitors above the till showing a live CCTV thing of you. One of them has MONITORING IN PROGRESS written on it. All a bit ominous tbh.

In fan related chat: took apart a slow-spinning fan the other day to lube the motor with 3-in-1 oil hoping it would help, and now for some reason the fan needs a kickstart to get spinning when the blades are on and still spins at about 10% of the speed it should. Oiling the bearings has somehow made it worse.

If the fan spins slowly the motor is on it's way out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Things keep happening and they are distracting you by telling you that they are happening.

Given that these same people basically have no views on the things that are happening that 'they' are not talking about much (like war in Ethiopia and the Maghreb, or the global shipping crisis, or TB and cholera back in the UK) I assume they just don't want to talk about anything that is happening. Just like nursery rhymes and 'everything is fine' repeating? Or do they want to talk about the 5 million acts of immigrant terrorism that are happening every minute and that the mainstream media is covering up with stories about the weather?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Anyway, hope you're doing OK, UK goons. A tip I've found to work well for cooling you down (particularly at night) is to bung a bottle of water in the freezer, get it properly frozen, then when you're feeling hot, hold it on the inside of your wrist for a bit. You have high-flow blood vessels close to the surface here, so it does a really great job of cooling your whole body down quickly.

Something that I’ve found works way better than I’d expect is tying a bandana around your wrist and soaking it in water. As the water evaporates it cools the body down quite nicely

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Only Kindness posted:

I assume shoplifting is up, can't think why.
Deepstate remoaners?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Z the IVth posted:

If the fan spins slowly the motor is on it's way out.

Is there any way to extend its lifespan? When I took it apart the motor didn't seem particularly user-serviceable in any way tbh.
Might remove the rotating oscillating gear bit just so there's one less thing for the motor to have to spin, but given that it's not set to oscillation mode it's probably not really making much of a difference to the power anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Last week I got some mileage out of wetting a teatowel and placing it on the back of my neck/shoulders. Topping it up with cold water as it gets warm.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Some raindrops and rumbles of thunder for me.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It just thundered over me

25.1C

:smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I had to order a new fan blade last year - put the fan on after it being in the shed for 2 years. Kept hearing a pinging sound, and it was bits of the fan blades literally cracking off as it was spinning.

While I partied you studied the blade

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Looking forward to Johnson just firing everyone he can up to the day he gets replaced

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1549315915069767681?t=6OpJEtgp9sMim3gCp_FbVw&s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Johnson's firing wrath backfires after he tries to fire Michael Gove again but Gove holds up a mirror and Johnson fires himself

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Johnson's firing wrath backfires after he tries to fire Michael Gove again but Gove holds up a mirror and Johnson fires himself

Oh can tories be defeated by 80's teen horror movies logic, cos than everyone needs to stop believing in them and they can't hurt people no more.

Hopefully they don't work by Grimm's fairy tales, or Ancient Greek myth as like yeah like everyone just dies horrible in them. :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

, cos than everyone needs to stop believing in them and they can't hurt people no more.

That's how politics always works

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

It just thundered over me

25.1C

:smug:

Eff u, it's supposed to be >40C here in Cambridge today and my apartment regularly gets up to +1C from outdoors temperature during the day.

:rip: me.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/weatherbraine/status/1549313496004939776

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking forward to Johnson just firing everyone he can up to the day he gets replaced

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1549315915069767681?t=6OpJEtgp9sMim3gCp_FbVw&s=19

Lol he wasn't even in the country, he was in Moldova to discuss the war in Ukraine on behalf of the defence select committee.

I wonder if Boris even bothered to check?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

Eff u, it's supposed to be >40C here in Cambridge today and my apartment regularly gets up to +1C from outdoors temperature during the day.

Find a pub/cafe with A/C and crawl through the door begging for sanctuary

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Yes I'm currently having to keep a remote eye on a makeshift server farm in Cambridge at the moment and panic if the motherfucker overheats before the temperature drops

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

You can't be called "weatherbraine" and expect to not be mistaken for a parody account

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol he wasn't even in the country, he was in Moldova to discuss the war in Ukraine on behalf of the defence select committee.

I wonder if Boris even bothered to check?

He knew and doesn't give a poo poo. He wants to help Liz Truss as Ellwood voted for Penny Mordaunt. Also revenge for this.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1461044674550972421?s=20&t=9iOEiSfI5aTQE1ZKWXEYIA

The guy is just gonna trash stuff on his way out the door.

Oct 4, 2005

Rest of the country is on fire, looks like Mordor out here right now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

1965917 posted:

Rest of the country is on fire, looks like Mordor out here right now

Nice and cloudy up here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

He knew and doesn't give a poo poo. He wants to help Liz Truss as Ellwood voted for Penny Mordaunt. Also revenge for this.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1461044674550972421?s=20&t=9iOEiSfI5aTQE1ZKWXEYIA

You know given what's happening in Ukraine right now one could, if cynical, see this as a man deliberately hampering our ability to supply the Ukrainian people should a hot war break out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Apparently Britain First is endorsing Kemi Badenoch. Which raises the question: has there ever been a good Enoch?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

You know given what's happening in Ukraine right now one could, if cynical, see this as a man deliberately hampering our ability to supply the Ukrainian people should a hot war break out.

Err it already is a hot war

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

peanut- posted:

They're both cunts, but Johnsons smirk at the end when the questions move on and he's successfully ducked the issue by talking about 1940s tank warfare just sums up everything he's about. Bullshit and bluster til the problem goes away for the time being, then smug because you've successfully dodged the issue for now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

Things keep happening and they are distracting you by telling you that they are happening.

Given that these same people basically have no views on the things that are happening that 'they' are not talking about much (like war in Ethiopia and the Maghreb, or the global shipping crisis, or TB and cholera back in the UK) I assume they just don't want to talk about anything that is happening. Just like nursery rhymes and 'everything is fine' repeating? Or do they want to talk about the 5 million acts of immigrant terrorism that are happening every minute and that the mainstream media is covering up with stories about the weather?

These are def the same people who get mad about people existing near their houses

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

Apparently Britain First is endorsing Kemi Badenoch. Which raises the question: has there ever been a good Enoch?

OG Enoch was a saint so possibly a good guy, but he did found Zion which seems to have caused a lot of trouble since...

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Ireland unleashes a word-rending fart in protest

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Err it already is a hot war

If you mean because of the Donbas then I agree, but that tweet is from Nov 2021, before Russia's full-scale invasion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Payndz posted:

Badenoch is a nice place.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If anyone has small animals then wet a towel and put it on their enclosure, will bring the temp down as much as 5 degrees.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

If you mean because of the Donbas then I agree, but that tweet is from Nov 2021, before Russia's full-scale invasion.

Oh right, your comment made me think you were using the present tense.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1549345259016142848?s=21&t=tClqr-7AHBFbviST-bRp0g

And it’s not even midday yet

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

learnincurve posted:

If anyone has small animals then wet a towel and put it on their enclosure, will bring the temp down as much as 5 degrees.

Any plastic bottle filled with water then put in the freezer for an hour so will work as well.