Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't even remember what the deal with Gordo's hosed up kids is. They went through a divorce and then their parents died under tragic circumstances. And Karen hosed Danny(for which she still has to suffer any consequences). Anything else?

Getting stalked by a creepy astronaut who may or may not break in and kill you at any moment is a pretty big consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean, also her divorce ya know

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ShowTime posted:

Also, Tracy, while remarrying an incredibly rich and successful man, also was ridiculously famous and constantly in the spotlight. Failbrother, after losing both parents to NASA, sees his closest remaining family member join the same agency that he lost his parents too. They also get to see their father go through alcoholism and ptsd.

Needless to say, it's pretty clear they are both hosed up individuals.

Also the one guy just looks weird ya know...

lil gremlin.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Maybe they have something fun in store for us with Danny. Maybe they'll loosely adapt the story of Lisa Nowak, the astronaut who wore diapers so she could drive 900 miles without stopping in order to kidnap the woman Lisa's astronaut boyfriend was cheating on her with. We're only 11 years off in the timeline, and given how far advanced we are in technology. in 1996

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Was Danny still on the NASA mission before he jumped ship to Helios? It's pretty funny if both the Test Pilots know better and Blue Ribbon Commission approaches to astronaut selection both failed to catch the dude who is still in the process of cracking up.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Nope, he had just been removed for his drinking. He’s about to tell his wife when Ed calls because Kelly switched to NASA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Was Danny still on the NASA mission before he jumped ship to Helios? It's pretty funny if both the Test Pilots know better and Blue Ribbon Commission approaches to astronaut selection both failed to catch the dude who is still in the process of cracking up.

The Houston cops had some deal where they will call up NASA instead of getting astronauts in trouble. Danielle picked him up and grounded him over it. He was pretty much off the mission at that point I think. When he was about to admit to his wife that he's a piece of poo poo and lost Mars, Ed called up and offered the job.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So just to be clear, when Ed tells Danny how he’s changing protocol so he doesn’t have to go back up to Helios, that’s just BS so he can keep an eye on him, right?

Or did he change his mind about the kid by the time he sends the message to Karen?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I wish they were setting it up that Karen had died on the space hotel because Danny didn’t fix it fast enough but he blames Ed, and all the Karen appearances since then were in his head

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

i personally cannot imagine a world where the videos wouldn’t be encrypted and run through like eight or nine bureaucrats at NASA to ensure they represented the agency in the best possible light

but, hey, that’s not dramatic

A decade earlier they had Tracey Stevens doing live late night spots from the moon, and in our universe astronauts on the ISS have internet access.

They will have some ability for encrypted conversations, and the Cosmonauts will be on a shorter leash for sure, but I have no doubt that some media organizations and individuals can have messages sent directly to them.

Hell, maybe some of these interviews are beamed straight into classrooms or the like for the novelty of being "live" from Mars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

QuoProQuid posted:

i personally cannot imagine a world where the videos wouldn’t be encrypted and run through like eight or nine bureaucrats at NASA to ensure they represented the agency in the best possible light

but, hey, that’s not dramatic

95-year-old NASA Bureaucrat: Wow, how nice to hear this young man talking about how he was such a happy kid growing up even if nobody else around him was. :corsair:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I can't wait to see the face Ed makes when he finally notices all his messages from Karen are marked as read before he's seen them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ellen’s final act as president is an executive order banning the “Mark As Unread” function

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gonna rule when next season features Bill Clinton riding into office on the moral outrage of Republicans disgracing the Oval Office.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Gonna rule when next season features Bill Clinton riding into office on the moral outrage of Republicans disgracing the Oval Office.

This is supposed to be a bright future not the dark one.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If we get any more real world politicians as US Presidents who do people reckon? Gore and McCain?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

If we get any more real world politicians as US Presidents who do people reckon? Gore and McCain?

I feel like they won't be able to resist Obama, though maybe 2000 would be too early, 2004 perhaps following somebody doing a one termer pulling a George H.W Bush to Ellen's Reagan?

But it's still not too late for Carter to get his time in the sun, goddammit! :argh:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Snillary Binton will win in 2008

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if we'll have a Mars 9/11 with the North Korean probe destroying the NASA base or Soviet/Helios water extraction site.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
watch wilson start a war

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mark my words, the Habitation Pods are gonna be a big thing as they try to start a Mars Colony. They'll be pondering how they can make these habitats. These habitats for humanity.

A helicopter lands on a peanut farm. The farmer wipes the sweat from his brow and watches as NASA approaches warily.

"What kept you? :clint:" asks Jimmy Carter, soon-to-be President of Mars. :hellyeah:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had totally forgotten they sent the NASA habs ahead of time. When they panned from the landing to the astronauts looking over the habs I was super confused and thought they were genuinely going for a “Someone else is already here” storyline. That might have been fun, at least.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was also really confused about that. And I also think Mars colonization is gonna be a big deal for the next season, especially after the water discover. If they end up finding some kind of bacteria and now they can somehow pivot that into food, it's for sure gonna be a race to get all of that before someone else does.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

How many episodes are left in the season? I'm still fairly sure that failson is going to fall in with the crowd he was at the protest with and do... something big. I thought it would be this season, but if there's not enough time for that and Danny dies on the return journey then I can see him spending the next decade falling further down the rabbit hole and basically becoming a domestic terrorist next season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Water is way more important than trying to eat Martian bacteria. If they have a local water source they can grow food and make rocket fuel.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Water is way more important than trying to eat Martian bacteria. If they have a local water source they can grow food and make rocket fuel.

I always thought bacteria could be used, maybe even required to some degree, to create some foods. I know fermentation, yogurts, etc, require it. Maybe they'll discover bacteria and create an insane alien beer that gets Budweiser into the space race.

EvilHawk posted:

How many episodes are left in the season? I'm still fairly sure that failson is going to fall in with the crowd he was at the protest with and do... something big. I thought it would be this season, but if there's not enough time for that and Danny dies on the return journey then I can see him spending the next decade falling further down the rabbit hole and basically becoming a domestic terrorist next season.

4 more and I was thinking the same thing. But I also expect Danny to die in space and for failbrother to do some even nutsier stuff against NASA in season 4. Terrorist things. I mean if Danny dies in space, his brother has soooo many reasons to absolutely hate NASA and he seems like the type to do something about it.

Maybe even use his connections to become an astronaut and when he gets into space does something huge.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Danny reps Helios now, though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well, it's still just general space stuff. And he was in NASA. And there is still a chance it becomes NASA's fault, especially if my theory of Danny dying to save Kelly (who is with NASA) instead of Ed doing it becomes true.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

I always thought bacteria could be used, maybe even required to some degree, to create some foods. I know fermentation, yogurts, etc, require it. Maybe they'll discover bacteria and create an insane alien beer that gets Budweiser into the space race.
Yeah but it's not like a mass-limited resource. They brought some with them already (they're shown to be growing veggies in the hab) so they can breed more from what they've got.

Water on the other hand, is not self-replicating from basic elements in the environment and is heavy to carry up and down gravity wells with you.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's also possible that Martian bacteria would not be compatible with Earth biology, and trying to ingest them would lead to violent diarrhea and or painful death!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Or some kind of alien mutation, like all the other Mars horror stories. What if this show stops being rooted in reality at all and goes full tilt into sci-fi horror? Ed is forced to become Doomguy and defend Earth from the terrors of hell that are originating on Mars. And he's doing it For All Mankind.

I should really stop playing games before I post in this thread.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was actually thinking of Clarke's 2061 and the Europan parrot-shark (?) that ate manflesh and found out :science:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like my realistic-ish alt history show but if they wanted to slew hard into actually this is the 40K timeline and we're about to discover the Warp I'd be on board.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ed can continue doing space poo poo at his age because he's actually the Emperor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm down for that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I have no idea what they will be doing next season, but if they plan to do another time jump it's going to go from alt-history sci-fi to straight up near-future sc-fi. That mean's things can get more...speculative. My lovely Narrative Brain thinks that since we're basically introduced to Chekhov's Space Baby (space fuckin'!), I think a portion of the remaining the season may deal with the ethical and practical implications on conceiving a child on Mars and then bringing it to full term. That's a lot cosmic radiation and microgravity for a fetus to deal with. I could even see it being a set up a story arc concerning the debate about altering humans for space travel in stead of terraforming or investing in complicated toroidal ships. Ed gets inject with medical nanites and Joel Kinnaman doesn't have to wear old man make up anymore.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have no idea what they will be doing next season, but if they plan to do another time jump it's going to go from alt-history sci-fi to straight up near-future sc-fi. That mean's things can get more...speculative. My lovely Narrative Brain thinks that since we're basically introduced to Chekhov's Space Baby (space fuckin'!), I think a portion of the remaining the season may deal with the ethical and practical implications on conceiving a child on Mars and then bringing it to full term. That's a lot cosmic radiation and microgravity for a fetus to deal with. I could even see it being a set up a story arc concerning the debate about altering humans for space travel in stead of terraforming or investing in complicated toroidal ships. Ed gets inject with medical nanites and Joel Kinnaman doesn't have to wear old man make up anymore.

It's true, Mars ain't the kind of place to raise a kid.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Jerusalem posted:

But it's still not too late for Carter to get his time in the sun, goddammit! :argh:

He truly was the first Rock and Roll President

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kelly's kid will be born as the symbol of peace between the Americans and Russians, and after focusing on her face we'll get a 200,000 years later cut where the humans on Mars have long since forgotten their roots and are anxiously watching on TV as the first astronaut steps foot on their nearest habitable neighbour, Earth, kicking off a space race between the West Martians and East Martians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Human Martians and Robot Martians, surely!