Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hmm. no, not that at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

loquacius posted:

I'm gonna throw out a book recommendation for The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway but I will not elaborate on why this came to mind because it'd be a spoiler

It's good, and y'all read Gnomon too

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

i'd argue the opposite: rick and morty is a smart, funny show that's deliberately playing with the type of show that it is, no matter how much its idiot fans try to fix it down into some dull sci-fi wikithon with catchphrases and memes. it is an anti-catchphrase, no matter how many people receive it as a catchphrase.

I can't really argue against you, because I'm not only arguing from a point of ignorance, and I'm going to be arguing from a continued ignorance because I'm probably never going to see those episodes. I have no sense of history for that show and unacknowledgable, in this context, I am the fascists 300 Viewer who see my own person history of "Did I do that," "Oh my god they killed kenny." "Yeep" D'oh" "Don't have a cow man.' "You got it, dude," "It's morphing time" and see that line as part of that history.

I don't know how can you convince me it is a anti catchphrase, in this situation, like it almost like you have to describe a colour I can't see.

In action, I just won't bring up that line as a catchphrase, and say "it's a thing fans of the show quote."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I can't really argue against you, because I'm not only arguing from a point of ignorance, and I'm going to be arguing from a continued ignorance because I'm probably never going to see those episodes. I have no sense of history for that show and unacknowledgable, in this context, I am the fascists 300 Viewer who see my own person history of "Did I do that," "Oh my god they killed kenny." "Yeep" D'oh" "Don't have a cow man.' "You got it, dude," "It's morphing time" and see that line as part of that history.

I don't know how can you convince me it is a anti catchphrase, in this situation, like it almost like you have to describe a colour I can't see.

yeah, there is ultimately no difference to pick out. we can't go to intent, we can't go to shared experience of the work. i just read it one way and you read it another. i don't think it's a huge deal.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

yeah, there is ultimately no difference to pick out. we can't go to intent, we can't go to shared experience of the work. i just read it one way and you read it another. i don't think it's a huge deal.

In this situation, it's not the end of the world, but it's implications to the total world view and stories about everything.... it can be quite horrifying.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

when I was watching the Pickle Rick episode when it was released it gave me the creeps in a way a pop culture media hasn't in a long time, in that it was so clearly a manufactured meme from the first second on screen, so transparently a cynical sales pitch for merchandise and marketing, like I was sitting there watching it for the first time and I knew the blow molds was already made for its pop vinyl and its keychains, the silk screens for the shirts that say "I'M PICKLE RICK!" were already wet with ink

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

when I was watching the Pickle Rick episode when it was released it gave me the creeps in a way a pop culture media hasn't in a long time, in that it was so clearly a manufactured meme from the first second on screen, so transparently a cynical sales pitch for merchandise and marketing, like I was sitting there watching it for the first time and I knew the blow molds was already made for its pop vinyl and its keychains, the silk screens for the shirts that say "I'M PICKLE RICK!" were already wet with ink

hot take: the Pickle Rick episode is actually good because it's one of the only points in the entire show that Rick appears to learn something from another character, and also one of the only things in modern media where a dysfunctional family goes to family therapy and is glad they did

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i thought the dead serious discussion with the therapist on how it makes beth feel that her father would turn himself into a pickle to avoid discussing the problems in their relationship was much funnier than anything going on in the pickle rick half of the story

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the other super-memey episode which is actually bad is the Get Schwifty one; Get Schwifty was a terrible meme even in the episode itself

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rick is another thing like Walter White or Khaleesi or (I have been told) the entirety of the film 300 where people latch onto a thing which is supposed to be bad and embrace it as actually good, because the source material made them too cool and great and smart and always right etc etc etc for any other message to break through

Rick is a bad person, and the show does in fact say so, but it doesn't seem to even believe this message itself, so it shouldn't come as any great surprise that terrible people flocked to its fanbase and think Rick is the best character.

Meanwhile Jerry gets a bad rap for the crime of being a regular person in a sci-fi cartoon. My other hot-take is that I am pro-Jerry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rick represents Dan Harmon's id, and Dan Harmon is too much of an rear end in a top hat to really believe he's in the wrong in most situations

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

the therapist stuff was fine and it's not like i'm bagging on the entire show, i was watching it of my own free will after all, but the cynical transparency of the pickle rick is still really gross, like during all of his scenes in the episode all i could picture was the sterile fluorescent lit conference room with people sitting around commenting on the clever alliteration of 'pickle rick' and how having him go through changes during the episode will mean more variations in toy designs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

the therapist stuff was fine and it's not like i'm bagging on the entire show, i was watching it of my own free will after all, but the cynical transparency of the pickle rick is still really gross, like during all of his scenes in the episode all i could picture was the sterile fluorescent lit conference room with people sitting around commenting on the clever alliteration of 'pickle rick' and how having him go through changes during the episode will mean more variations in toy designs

I could see this, yeah

I think the idea was for it to be kind of like the wubba lubba dub dub thing where it's a blatantly self-referentially cynical take on memey bullshit, like Towelie from South Park, but in both cases the end effect was the same as if it were intended as a straight-up cash-grab so the distinction is academic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

IIRC the Towelie episode had a commercial halfway through where you could buy either "I love Towelie" or "I hate Towelie" T-shirts from the merch website which may or may not have actually existed as IRL shirts, I dunno

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

Meanwhile Jerry gets a bad rap for the crime of being a regular person in a sci-fi cartoon. My other hot-take is that I am pro-Jerry

jerry is my favorite bisexual character in fiction because the bisexuality is so incidental to his characterization im not sure the writers even noticed they made him bisexual

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

I read Fight Club and I don't even remember the book's ending

absolutely, the book's ending was completely bonkers and the movie one made sense

wrong.gif

squid or nothing

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Casey Finnigan posted:

I read that short story by the fight club guy about the dude who sticks his rear end onto a suction thing in his pool. it was published in playboy for some reason

i do remember the ending to that one

I read a lot of Chuck Palahniuk out of high school and that's the only story I remember lol.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

fondly remembering when palahniuk gave his official response to the china censorship story and it was literally just lol you know my books are some of the most heavily banned ones in the united states right

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rick and Morty sucked when they got too meta and self conscious. Every Smith family member except Jerry is just a cynical rear end in a top hat like Rick now and they do that modern comedy thing where they talk fast and point out the cliches before they even happen and that's never funny.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Some Guy TT posted:

i still think about that one quest in morrowind where you need to get the wizard kings to sign on to your being the messiah and the first one warns you that second one is just going to say uhhh i need to run it by a committee indefinitely so you have to kill him

i never did figure out if there was a way to deal with the second guy without just killing him but it was just so gratifying to do that both in the gently caress this obtuse progression design sense but also the loving liberals sense

drat, Michael Kirkbride was a secret Schmittian????

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WampaLord posted:

:agreed: using Dr. Manhattan energy for the attack instead of a psychic squid monster was a very smart adaptation change

the psychic squid monster works better in the comic where the medium helps amplify the effect of shock when you open up the two page spread of the chaos of the attack, it would have looked silly as hell in a movie

gonna go against the grain here and say that the alien ending is the better one, or at least the one that makes more sense

the whole point of the weird squid alien was to present a target that was unequivocally not associated with any world power so that humanity could unite against it, hopefully leading to a kind of forced world peace

Changing it so that Dr Manhattan was framed for the attacks would unite the rest of the world against America. Yes, even after taking into consideration that several American cities were glassed, the rest of the world would definitely still blame America since they not only created Dr Manhattan, but they also used him in war. America would be responsible for the series of events that led him to go rouge

Now, it would admittedly be pretty awesome to see the rest of the world unite against America, but that clearly wasnt what the film implied would happen.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

CaptainBeefart posted:

I read a lot of Chuck Palahniuk out of high school and that's the only story I remember lol.

I have an mp3 of him reading that story in a barnes and noble in sept 2003; i have listened to it once, i have not listened to it twice, i have not interacted with the file for nearly two decades and i can still taste the memory :cry:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Doctor Manhattan ending works better if you see it as less uniting the world against a common foe and more uniting them out of fear of God. Ozymandius kind of hints at this with his line about punishing mankind for flirting with nuclear war but it's not overt. There was a version of the script where he fakes Doc Manhattan's voice to deliver a warning to humanity after destroying cities but I'm glad this was cut, it's kind of corny.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The pickle rick episode was great because the therapist completely shreds rick to pieces and really emphasizes that Rick is the worst, while also working as a great Wick parody

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

gonna go against the grain here and say that the alien ending is the better one, or at least the one that makes more sense

yeah the change was really stupid. it lowers the stakes and undermines the ending. I don’t even like Watchmen but that was a terrible decision

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

i'm starting this movie Terminal Justice (1996) and we have a new standard established for "getting my attention in the first twenty seconds of your motion picture"

https://i.imgur.com/NJwPv0S.mp4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

The Doctor Manhattan ending works better if you see it as less uniting the world against a common foe and more uniting them out of fear of God. Ozymandius kind of hints at this with his line about punishing mankind for flirting with nuclear war but it's not overt. There was a version of the script where he fakes Doc Manhattan's voice to deliver a warning to humanity after destroying cities but I'm glad this was cut, it's kind of corny.

that would work for maybe one month before everyone realized that Manhattan had hosed off somewhere and turned against America

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CaptainBeefart posted:

at my first job at barnes & noble an older girl told me about that story and i decided to never read ol' chuck. she also showed me johnny the homicidal maniac

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The change from the squid to Dr Manhattan is a great event because it really shows off how different film is from all other mediums.

A tv show, and a novel, even a stage play and opera, would keep squid. But film or film watchers, no dice. Film likes its stories super tight, and the squid was just to far out of left field. Also in the comics the squid was alluded to, but in film, stuff has to be cut, so making those little references takes away valuable seconds.

Film wants to be taken realistic medium, like in the movie "Speed" the real bus is totaled after jumping off the freeway, but it's not destroyed enough. There is still this feeling that there is a 1 in 1'000'000 chance of that thing working. Then within the film world, it just happens to work that one time. This squid is just too unrealistic.

(Film wants to be taken realistic after they established the bottom line rules like, "faster than light travel is possible." )

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Jul 19, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

jerry is my favorite bisexual character in fiction because the bisexuality is so incidental to his characterization im not sure the writers even noticed they made him bisexual

This was from the Mr Poopy Butthole episode, which was another favorite of mine because it's another instance of the show sneaking some really great characterization into a memey-bullshit episode

like, I have to describe it as "the Mr Poopy Butthole episode", so it has no business being the best episode of the show, but it was so good

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the best part of the watchmen movie is watching it with friends and loudly commenting about doctor manhattan having a small peen whenever he's on screen, letting everyone to draw their own conclusions about your own peen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that really is a decent ep. some are pretty bad but i like mr poopybutthole

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

im not familiar. What's so great about it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

im not familiar. What's so great about it

It's a very high concept story where aliens invade the Smith home. They are telepathic and can implant memories into the Smiths, and more and more of them keep showing up. The Smiths need to stop them or they'll take over the planet once they get out of the house, but the memories they're implanting are designed to break the Smiths apart (Beth now remembers marrying another man, who Jerry is carrying on an affair with, for example). Most of the episode is about figuring out which memories are real and which are implanted fakes.

It's probably the best Rick & Morty episode. That or the decoy families one, which is another high-concept episode.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I see. Sounds pretty interesting. I was never much for Rick and Morty myself.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gave them an opportunity to really cut loose with lots of weird character designs since the Aliens keep reproducing and introducing ever more stupid characters to the houseleading up to the punchline of the episode

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the episode's real name is Total Rickall; it's in season 2

quote:

According to writer Ryan Ridley, the episode is named after Total Recall (1990), a science fiction film that features false memory implantation, but was conceived by Mike McMahan with reference to the fifth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In this season, the character Dawn Summers is introduced and treated by other characters as if she has always been present; a supernatural reason for this is eventually given. Another writer suggested this was a good format for a clip show spoof, where flashbacks would be essential to the plot.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

loquacius posted:

Rick is another thing like Walter White or Khaleesi or (I have been told) the entirety of the film 300 where people latch onto a thing which is supposed to be bad and embrace it as actually good, because the source material made them too cool and great and smart and always right etc etc etc for any other message to break through

I don't know about Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, but Frank Miller made 300 during an especially angry and Libertarian phase in his life (and I believe he has subsequently blamed substance abuse for going off the rails with stuff like that Holy Terror Batman series he did). I'm certain anything pro-Spartan and pro-militarism (regardless of historical accuracy) in 300 was totally intentional.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I see. Sounds pretty interesting. I was never much for Rick and Morty myself.

the shows really hit and miss youre much better off watching individual episodes on rec than trying to watch the whole thing systematically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The main Rick and Morty ep I remember being excitedly shown is they are channel surfing which is an excuse to have a bunch of like 20 second apparently improvised skits in a row. It was pretty funny but the guy showing it to me really needed me to agree it was the sort of sublime madcap comedy that only Dan Harmon and the Other Guy could bring us