Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1549433627896840195

https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1549434313858490370

The court seems unconvinced that Musky could jut get away with paying damages :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Main Paineframe posted:

do you think ULA isn't spending money on rocket development?

before spacex, no, they absolutely were not. nobody was with any seriousness. Lockmart and boeing had divided the US gov't launch needs neatly between them and were free to charge as much as they wanted for minimal effort. Nasa was spending money on SLS, but 95% of that goes to keeping Shuttle contractors from a number of important congressional districts fully employed. Euros had started planning an ariane 6 but that was not particularly new. And russia didn't have the money to do real development of any of their stuff that's been in prototype forever.

now they are, but unfortunately for them they hitched themselves to the other wannabe-lex-luthor billionaire to make their rocket engines. they've got a dozen of their new rockets ready to have engines put on them, and no engines.

Like, this doesn't mean that Elon Musk was a super genius or whatever; he picked a stale, corrupt, non-innovative industry to compete against and did so. It's not exactly hard to beat people in a footrace when they aren't even walking.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

This is like the legal equivalent of "The Court is not stupid, do not treat us like we are, and now we're pissed"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

So do you think money has been the hangup for lockheed-martin or boeing any time in the past 10 years though?

SpaceX got government funding to develop their rocket. They got $2 billion total for development and flights in the commercial resupply program. (12 flights, meaning $166 mil per flight)

Lockheed-Martin charged $190 million per flight of the Atlas V, and put zero of that into development. They get $41 billion dollars per year from the US government. The problem was not money.

It was politics, monopoly power, and an insanely greedy and actually evil corporation. Musk could have an app on his phone that randomly lights an occupied tesla on fire every time he loses a game of candy crush, and he still wouldn't be as evil as lockmart.

I'm pretty sure if you offered Raytheon or Lockheed a giant pile of money to build you a rocket you want to ride to mars they wouldn't refuse on the grounds that that's not evil enough. It's still about the money, and who's actually offering it.

Rocketry's been stagnating for a while because there's no real moneymaking applications to sending them further into space, and we can reach every population center on earth just fine on existing technology. Nobody's longterm plans involve supporting research expeditions indefinitely. Lockheed and Boeing used NASA funding to finance their R&D for their actual moneymakers in defense; SpaceX and Blue Origin and all the other plutocrat vanity projects are trying to break into the field now by getting NASA to fund their R&D for billionaire tourism or starting a telecoms company. When those fail to make money, I guess we'll be seeing if anyone in Washington is dumb enough to buy reusable ICBMs.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 19, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More of a casual clip round the ear and an encouragement to not play games with the process. They're not mad yet, this is all standard opening plays.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

AP and Reuters just pushed out that the Twitter trial is going to be in October :sickos: Musk wanted to delay it

https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1549434122107588611?s=19

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech-wise, everything SpaceX does is stuff that NASA and space contractors thought up 50 years ago.

The problem is that NASA's budgetary outlook was not looking great 50 years ago, so they didn't really have the money to put any of it into practice. Without the space race, Congress wasn't going to fund top-tier rocket work, so we ended up with a bunch of half-assed compromises, many of which ended up costing more in the long run.

Between Elon's personal wealth and the fact that Congress is eager to fund space privatization, SpaceX has had the opportunity to actually develop that tech.

Though even that much is still way more innovative than Boring Company's strategy of buying an undersized tunnel borer and spending the rest of the money on lobbying civic officials.
There's a problem with people who know absolutely nothing about space trying to talk about space.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm pretty sure if you offered Raytheon or Lockheed a giant pile of money to build you a rocket you want to ride to mars they wouldn't refuse on the grounds that that's not evil enough. It's still about the money, and who's actually offering it.

Yes, and the pile of money they want is pretty loving big. That's the corruption and greed part.

They wouldn't do it for a contract that wasn't cost-plus accounting. Literally. Neither of them applied to Commercial Resupply, lockheed didn't apply for Commercial Crew, and boeing got accepted for Crew and immediately started bitching that it was fixed-cost. Then did the minimum amount of work for performance, hoping that SpaceX would also have problem that they could then say "see, you can't make a safe vehicle without cost-plus!"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Rocketry's been stagnating for a while because there's no real moneymaking applications to sending them further into space, and we can reach every population center on earth just fine on existing technology.

It was stagnating because the launch prices were so astronomical that only the biggest entities could afford to do anything in space, therefore the launches/year were tiny, therefore there was minimal incentive to improve the rockets, therefore the price never came down.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

If I recall, in Ashley Vance's biography of Musk, from 2015, he predicts that the big car companies with their massive industrial bases and economies of scale will leapfrog Tesla in electric car innovations within the decade. Seems to be coming true. Teslas are kinda all flash and no bang?

The entire EV space is all flash and lots of bangs

Tesla could never have become what it is if heads weren't installed rectally as part of industry orientation

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no reason to get a Tesla over the Kia/Hyundai EVs at this point unless you're convinced it'll start earning you money as a self-driving taxi or something. Efficiency is slightly worse but otherwise it just seems much better as a car in every single way.

I meant the EV6/Ioniq but that works too
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 19, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My brother has a Kona, its pretty nice

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Dunno if anyone in the thread knows enough to answer these two questions, but:

Are the plugs keyed to a universal standard, so that no matter what you buy you can charge anywhere, and are the charging stations common enough now that you could travel cross country in a EV?

Also how much of the power running these things is the product of turning fossil fuels into electricity somewhere upstream where I don't have to see?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The second question is easy: Quite a lot.

e - I suppose I should expand on that. The Grid does not discriminate, the power requirements of the country will draw from a certain amount of renewable, biomass and fossil (and nuclear) energy. Some of your power will come from burning something.

Unless you're in Iceland, I think they're 100% geothermal these days.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 19, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

The second question is easy: Quite a lot.

e - I suppose I should expand on that. The Grid does not discriminate, the power requirements of the country will draw from a certain amount of renewable, biomass and fossil (and nuclear) energy. Some of your power will come from burning something.

Unless you're in Iceland, I think they're 100% geothermal these days.
Or France where its like 80% nuke or renewable

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Even in the USA or other places where most power is from burning carbon, an electric car is both more efficient at turning X fuel into Y miles and substantially cleaner in terms of non-CO2 air pollution*.

*maybe not in West Virginia or somewhere with lots of coal power and crappy air quality regulations

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mysterious frankie posted:

Are the plugs keyed to a universal standard, so that no matter what you buy you can charge anywhere, and are the charging stations common enough now that you could travel cross country in a EV?

the short answer is there are two standards - the one tesla uses because of course they invented their own thing - and the one everyone else uses. tesla does sell an adapter you can use so that your tesla can use the other standard. i think there is also one that goes the other way so that non-teslas can use some tesla charing stations, but importantly it does not work for the good ones (superchargers).

tesla had the early advantage in charging infrastructure proliferation, and I'm pretty sure they're still in the lead compared to any other individual charging provider, but compared to all others combined i think they're smaller. telsa owners for sure have the best charging options as long as they buy the charging adapter.

cross country driving pretty much anywhere shouldn't be an issue, but you may have to go considerably out of your way to charge sometimes, and of course charging will take a lot longer than a fuel-up.

the situation can vary from country to country, this is just about the US.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tesla does unfortunately have a much better charging network than anyone else. But as for cars, yeah they suck. Both against other current EVs — others do just as well much cheaper, and on the high end something like a Lucid Air outperforms it in almost every metric — and against future EVs, because Toyota is poised to basically dominate everyone since they're so far ahead on solid state batteries.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

teslas have some build quality issues, and autopilot is outright fraud, but i wouldn't say the cars suck. there are far worse options on the market than the model 3.

one major drawback is that they sold so many you can't get that good federal tax credit anymore, since it phases out based on number of vehicles sold per manufacturer. in the short term, that gives tesla's competitors a $7500 price advantage in the US. it will take a few years, but eventually that will even out, and it will be interesting to see where prices land. elon's lack of focus on his original mission of saving the world from cooking itself to death by providing affordable electric cars to the everyman has caused the $25k vehicle to fall off the roadmap, replaced by the cybertruck and autotaxis that will never happen.

i think the major advantage tesla has right now is that you can actually buy one. i was shopping around for an electric vehicle in 2019, and there were a few other options besides tesla, but if you didn't live in one of the states that has the carbon emission rules for manufacturers, there were zero of them at dealerships and often you couldn't even order or reserve one online. they were all low volume products primarily sold to still meet the required state and federal emission average so they could continue to sell big trucks and suvs. tesla at least had a line that worked and would deliver you a vehicle without too much wait.

i ended up buying a plugin-hybrid instead, because any EV would've ended up costing nearly twice as much. i don't regret it at all, it's a great compromise. all my regular driving is on the battery, which has about 50 mi of range, and for the few longer trips i take the hybrid engine will kick in and burn gas. it charges overnight on regular 110 AC wall power, no need for a high voltage system at my house.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 19, 2022

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Dunno if anyone in the thread knows enough to answer these two questions, but:

Also how much of the power running these things is the product of turning fossil fuels into electricity somewhere upstream where I don't have to see?

Heres a good video on co2 emissions of ev vs gasoline powered cars including production of the car and battery. There’s also an interesting chart showing the cleanest type of car by state (ev, plugin, hybrid) and even in west virginia it’s better to buy something other than a gas powered car. He also specifically calls out tesla sports cars and their massive batteries as not being good for the environment compared to other evs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Or, as he said, in 1962 on a hot September day in Texas:

"But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, the length of this football field, made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented, capable of standing heat and stresses several times more than have ever been experienced, fitted together with a precision better than the finest watch, carrying all the equipment needed for propulsion, guidance, control, communications, food and survival, on an untried mission, to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold."

Jesus loving Christ. I'd never actually seen or heard that section of that speech in its entirety, but just from reading that, I completely get why people were so enthralled with and by JFK. There isn't a speechwriter in politics or the private sector today who could make that pitch to an audience that broad sound that compelling.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i think the major advantage tesla has right now is that you can actually buy one.

I swear I see more and more Teslas in my neighborhood every month and it’s confusing because it’s not a slum but it’s not well to do either, and even the cheapest Tesla isn’t *that* cheap. They’re doing something right when it comes to image, even if that thing is tricking people who can’t afford them into thinking it’ll pay off in the long run.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"unknown celestial body"??

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

PhazonLink posted:

"unknown celestial body"??

At the time of the speech I think there existed a total of 18 poor quality pictures of the far side of the moon, and scientists were still a bit shocked that the far side looked quite a bit different than the near side. It’s kind of wild to remember how little we knew for certain about the solar system even by the 60’s.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 19, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

At the time of the speech I think there existed a total of 18 poor quality pictures of the far side of the moon, and scientists were still a bit shocked that the far side looked quite a bit different than the near side. It’s kind of wild to remember how little we knew for certain about the solar system even by the 60’s.

I mean we still know far less about the bottom of the ocean floor.

Obviously due to everyone exploring it being consumed by unholy terrors from the deep.

...not lack of funding or anything.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I swear I see more and more Teslas in my neighborhood every month and it’s confusing because it’s not a slum but it’s not well to do either, and even the cheapest Tesla isn’t *that* cheap. They’re doing something right when it comes to image, even if that thing is tricking people who can’t afford them into thinking it’ll pay off in the long run.

landlords

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This thread seems pretty knowledgeable about musk so I'm gonna ask here. I recently saw a pic of musk without a shirt on and he seems to be completely hairless, almost like a reverse ape. Absolutely unreal. What's the deal with that? Is this a medical condition? What is going on here? Is the government aware of this?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GABA ghoul posted:

This thread seems pretty knowledgeable about musk so I'm gonna ask here. I recently saw a pic of musk without a shirt on and he seems to be completely hairless, almost like a reverse ape. Absolutely unreal. What's the deal with that? Is this a medical condition? What is going on here? Is the government aware of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
another user said all his hairplugs came from the rest of his body.

lol at having dick and butt hair in/on your head.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he is covered in a beautiful mane of shiny alabaster hair

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Decades of high level Boer Race Science research led to the creation of an ultimate being: the Middle Aged Mutant Softshell Turtle

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Used, out-of-warranty ones have been coming way down in price.

So you're still right; people who can afford the car today won't be able to afford it in the long run when it breaks or needs a new battery pack. But Tesla's successfully made them think it's worth it!

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 20, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Supposedly the trick to getting good deals on a Tesla is to wait towards end of quarter, when they try to really sell out their inventory. But that was before covid so I dunno now

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Bad Purchase posted:

teslas have some build quality issues, and autopilot is outright fraud, but i wouldn't say the cars suck. there are far worse options on the market than the model 3.
Good/Bad News! Telsa has been making their cars worse for stupid reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtJu0q3sBQ

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Used, out-of-warranty ones have been coming way down in price.

So you're still right; people who can afford the car today won't be able to afford it in the long run when it breaks or needs a new battery pack. But Tesla's successfully made them think it's worth it!

This really tracks with my understanding of… everything.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’d argue at this point the reason to get a Tesla (aside from availability, which is better than most others right now) is they’re on version 3+ of every model sold, everyone else is selling 1st gen cars, which always have lots of unforeseen issues.

I suppose the counterpoint is everyone else is actually an auto manufacturer and probably put out better first attempts than Tesla. But from reading/watching lots of reviews even VW hosed up so many basic things in their first attempt the ID.4.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Supposedly the trick to getting good deals on a Tesla is to wait towards end of quarter, when they try to really sell out their inventory. But that was before covid so I dunno now

isnt most cars and other similar goods?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’d argue at this point the reason to get a Tesla (aside from availability, which is better than most others right now) is they’re on version 3+ of every model sold, everyone else is selling 1st gen cars, which always have lots of unforeseen issues.

I suppose the counterpoint is everyone else is actually an auto manufacturer and probably put out better first attempts than Tesla. But from reading/watching lots of reviews even VW hosed up so many basic things in their first attempt the ID.4.

I repeat, they are all idiots

Do not car

Do not car

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Rebel Blob posted:

Good/Bad News! Telsa has been making their cars worse for stupid reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtJu0q3sBQ

touch buttons for turn signals? really?
touch screen to shift gears if the AI fucks up on what it should be on... this is a year old surely they axed this insanity...
a capacitive tiny horn button? really?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
call me petty but that hairless gently caress goblin could bankroll a car that runs on water and dispenses drivers side blowjobs and i still wouldnt want to give him money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Looks like most of the Germans I've seen shirtless

Maybe it's because he's fascist

I'm very antifascist and extremely hairy so I'm pretty convinced