Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I know it's a few pages back, but there were plans to introduce hippos into the Everglades in Florida, for meat and big game hunters. Considering how much idiots releasing pet snakes has hosed up that ecosystem, I can't imagine how much worse it would be with loving hippos thrown into the mix.

Very tangentially related: at the top of Victoria Falls they have a sign: No swimming, crocodiles. Yeah, I don't want to swim at the top of Victoria Falls because of the fuckin crocs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

sleepy.eyes posted:

I know it's a few pages back, but there were plans to introduce hippos into the Everglades in Florida, for meat and big game hunters. Considering how much idiots releasing pet snakes has hosed up that ecosystem, I can't imagine how much worse it would be with loving hippos thrown into the mix.

Very tangentially related: at the top of Victoria Falls they have a sign: No swimming, crocodiles. Yeah, I don't want to swim at the top of Victoria Falls because of the fuckin crocs...

I thought the hippos were for the Mississippi Delta?

Or was there a second Hippo Plan?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

Some German spies got caught at the Battle of the Bulge because their military IDs spelled "Identification" correctly, while authentic American ones had a typo - "Indentification".
That was Operation Greif.
During the battle of the Bulge Hitler tried to infilitrate american troops in order to capture bridges. Otto Skorzeny lead the operation and was apparently a capable man but the operation still failed. He asked for 3,300 soldiers that could speak english and had knowledge of american idioms. He got 2, 500 men. 10 out of those men spoke perfect english and knew about american idioms, 150 spoke it moderately well and 200 had had english at school. He also got american uniforms, the only problem was that they had labels that said that they were made in concentration camps. When he asked for american vehicles he was flooded by russian and polish ones. He got a few american jeeps and painted the rest to look like american ones. In the end they were held up by massive traffic jams and had to abandon their plans.

Despite this the rumors of germans secretly infiltrating american squads caused mass panic. Soldiers begun asking each other things only americans knew about to be safe. One sergeant was held at gun point because he incorrectly said that the Chicago Cubs were in the American League and even Omar Bradley was subject to such questioning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nazi efficiency, everybody!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I thought the hippos were for the Mississippi Delta?

Or was there a second Hippo Plan?

See also: reintroduce elephants and lions to the great plains and Texas to replace extinct megafauna.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've been camping or hiking in Louisiana alongside waterways with friendly alligators and occasionally get the idle thought "man what if that was a hippo like they wanted, we'd be hosed lmao."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hippos are awesome so i'm sad there isn't a massive hippo pop thriving in the southern united states also i dont live there so that helps

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We have manatees which are like non-lovely hippos.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

See also: reintroduce elephants and lions to the great plains and Texas to replace extinct megafauna.

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Ecological. Thunderdome.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If memory serves the idea of introducing hippos to the American South was explored in the alt-history novel River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey. It's been on my "I should get around to reading that" list for a long while

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
They've got an issue with hippos in Colombia, thanks to Pablo Escobar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I live in Louisiana and I say bring on the hippos. Swamp folks kill and eat gators with their bare hands. If the hippos become a menace it'll be days before some redneck detonates one with IED made out a washing machine and the engine off a 1955 chevy 3100, and is unjustly harassed by the law for their victory.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Jul 19, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

We have manatees which are like non-lovely hippos.

Yeah. If you don't like manatees, gently caress you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember the manatee that someone vandalized to say “TRUMP”?

gently caress those guys.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah. If you don't like manatees, gently caress you

Settle down Odysseus.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Settle down Odysseus.

Said no man.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Some Colombians do love their hippos though. The ecologically sound option would be to cull them, but haven’t made it pass on the political side due to public sentiment. So now the workaround is chemical contraception targeted against the main group of hippos. Of all the things nature conservation efforts and resources could go to…
Speaking of manatees, more hippos in Colombia aren’t great for Antillean manatees.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jul 20, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Going back to the "guns for bicyclists" stuff.

Russian Cosmonauts used to carry a gun. To shoot at wolves once they landed, in case they got stuck out in the wilds of SIberia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For a while, after the ammunition for the TP-82 expired, they used an ordinary Makarov pistol.

They stopped carrying that pretty recently. As of 2014, it was technically still on the official equipment list but was routinely stricken from it on a per‐mission basis.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Going back to the "guns for bicyclists" stuff.

Russian Cosmonauts used to carry a gun. To shoot at wolves once they landed, in case they got stuck out in the wilds of SIberia.

To be fair to the soviet space program, this was introduced after Alexei Leonov and Pavel Belyayev landed in Siberia and were almost eaten by wolves

Source: that one film from 2017 I half remember

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Falukorv posted:

So now the workaround is chemical contraception targeted against the main group of hippos.
Lol they're force-femming the hippos

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's a bigger feat than you'd think, because it's difficult to find fishnet nylons in that size.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

https://magazine.atavist.com/american-hippopotamus/

here's a longform article about it, it also has an amazing prison break and teddy roosevelt

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Philippe posted:

That's a bigger feat than you'd think, because it's difficult to find fishnet nylons in that size.
Where do you even get cat ears that size?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: Hippos spotted in programming socks, FAANG recruiters inbound

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Alhazred posted:

Otto Skorzeny

be real careful with sources when reading about Skorzeny, dude was a huge liar and would take any chance to dump on other nazis to self promote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thatbastardken posted:

be real careful with sources when reading about Skorzeny, dude was a huge liar and would take any chance to dump on other nazis to self promote.

A shitload of 'history' of WW2, including almost everything about the Eastern Front, comes from actual Nazi accounts exclusively.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wired had a pretty good article about the glut of nazi praise from wikipedia:
https://www.wired.com/story/one-womans-mission-to-rewrite-nazi-history-wikipedia/

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Wikipedia posted:

Despite the low energy of the round, a suicide case was recorded where a woman shot herself twice in the temple with a .25 (6.35 mm) Velo-dog revolver before succumbing
I cant imagine what's going through somebodys mind when you have to pull the trigger a second time, because the first time wasn't enough.
(it wasn't a bullet, that's the problem)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of 'history' of WW2, including almost everything about the Eastern Front, comes from actual Nazi accounts exclusively.

even within that context, and even during the war, Skorzeny was a freak for blowing his own horn. he's famous for rescuing Mussolini, but all the work was done by Luftwaffe paratroopers and Otto just hitched a raid on the plane home and stood in front of the cameras.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also in the 19th century there were the repeating Volcanic pistols, which basically tried to do self-contained bullet/gunpowder cartridges at a time when most pistols still loaded them separately. What they did was hollowing out the bullet itself and putting the gunpowder in the emptied space, which kind of worked but really only allowed for a very small powder charge. As a result they were underpowered for their size, particularly the smaller-calibre version. There's apparently one recorded instance where a guy bought one of those, tried to kill himself with it, and angrily returned it to the store when it couldn't even penetrate his temple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZBHTOYHY6Y

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Jul 20, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Historical fact: there are a lot of really weird guns.

:nws:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Historical fact: there are a lot of really weird guns.

The nazi belt buckle gun

The duck foot gun

The Puckle gun, designed to shoot square bullets at turks.

Gatling gun designed to be mounted on a camel.
As a sidenote: James Gatling designed his gun to make warfare more humane. He observed that during the civil war more people died of diseases because of the overfilled camps than of actual war. So if he mechanized warfare there wouldn't be a need to send so many people to war and fewer would die. In reality he achieved the exact opposite.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Jul 20, 2022

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Oh look, if an american develops a new way to quickly reduce overfilled camps of people, it's a historical fun fact.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I live in Louisiana and I say bring on the hippos. Swamp folks kill and eat gators with their bare hands. If the hippos become a menace it'll be days before some redneck detonates one with IED made out a washing machine and the engine off a 1955 chevy 3100, and is unjustly harassed by the law for their victory.

YM "uniformly homogenized into a gumbo-like concentrate within 30 seconds by the Hippotron 3000 with optional pirogue mount". HTH.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Alhazred posted:

The Puckle gun, designed to shoot square bullets at turks.

Wikipedia posted:

The square bullets were considered to be more damaging. They would, according to the patent, "convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization".

Bununla iyi şanslar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I recall that this thread has had a deep and abounding interest in Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) and critiques thereof in the past.

This is a good article published recently in BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

thepopmonster posted:

YM "uniformly homogenized into a gumbo-like concentrate within 30 seconds by the Hippotron 3000 with optional pirogue mount". HTH.

:hmmyes:

Saw Admiral Horthy, the hungarian fascist leader, during his glory days in round 1. This is apparently him passed out at the Battle of the Straits of Otranto, where he won his fame heroically commanding the austro-hungarian fleet wounded.

How does big navy hero man and future fascist dictator look like somebody dressed their kid in a sailor outfit? Why is he wearing oversized cargo shorts and 80s sneakers? Why are navy outfits like this?

Also look at the ship's dog. Seems like a good friend.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How does big navy hero man and future fascist dictator look like somebody dressed their kid in a sailor outfit? Why is he wearing oversized cargo shorts and 80s sneakers?

oh hey i can answer this! so check out this WW2 US Navy Uniform:

you'll notice the pants are big and crumpled near the bottom hem, that's because they're tapered outwards, like bellbottom jeans. turns out, it's much easier to remove a pair of pants when they're soaking wet when you have big pantlegs

that explains the huge white shorts, because a commander is likely going to be inside the command portions of the ship rather than out on the deck and when they need to be seen by the crew they need to be SEEN!

The shoes just match the pants.

e: the seaman's jacket is probably for being on the deck and would be shed offdeck so they could see his smart white jacket on the command deck

BasicLich has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The officers wear white to hide all the cumstains.