Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

those workers...they're still in there aren't they...

Nope.

A void in the concrete the size of a human would compromise the structural integrity. They had to be fished out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's sometimes speculated the bodies in the Hoover Dam urban legend is basically just a mix-up based on the deaths at the Fort Peck Dam in 1938. That one is an earth-filled dam in Montana that had a huge landslide during the construction and only 2 bodies were ever recovered from the 8 that weren't rescued. The other half dozen are presumably a part of the dam.

The two were close enough together in time that it's easy to see how people could conflate them, especially with all the talk of Hoover Dam deaths.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

They hired workers made out of concrete back then so its was fine if they ended up in the dam

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ilmucche posted:

san andreas remaster looking good

i'm just glad somebody else thought of this

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wrr posted:

They hired workers made out of concrete back then so its was fine if they ended up in the dam

You REALLY can't find good help like that these days

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, more construction projects these days should work with golems, it just makes sense.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pages back, but found it with sound and its worse than I imagined it would be.

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1549335874646577152

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just noticed there's no real cage around those rotors, either. Wonder how good one of those (or about 8) could slice ya up.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Sex is... ah... nobody knows. But the saw... the saw is FAMILY!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Put a nice rubber skirt around that baby and you've got a hovercraft

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

Turpitude posted:

Put a nice rubber skirt around that baby and you've got a hovercraft

I've never heard of a woman who wanted to be married in a rubber skirt, despite the benefit you claim.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Review on a NEMA 5-15P – NEMA 5-15P cord:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Saw this yesterday. Didn’t have my voltage detector on me so no idea if they’re live (feel confident they aren’t). Just in awe of the caution tape job.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5PeSY9k.mp4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That went a lot better than I expected.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Unperson_47 posted:

Just noticed there's no real cage around those rotors, either. Wonder how good one of those (or about 8) could slice ya up.

I have a DJI FPV and the rotors on it are terrifying, I literally would never attempt to grab it out of the sky, I've seen images of the aftermath of people getting caught in it's rotors and it'll cut you right the gently caress up. For something strong enough to lift a person I can't imagine it being any more safe.

Basically, gently caress that poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Unperson_47 posted:

one goes right up his rear end after he hits the ground you see his hips jump.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Can't even slice no basketball.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

True to caesar.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Platystemon posted:

One of the biggest arguments I get into with operators is when I'm designing something to be slightly less convenient to physically remove the danger, rather than relying on "well you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that!"

Turns out not everyone in the field (or anyone at all, for that matter) operates on their A, B C, or D game 100% of the time

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So is E game where you stumble around like Inspector Clusou on deliriants?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Not a Children posted:

One of the biggest arguments I get into with operators is when I'm designing something to be slightly less convenient to physically remove the danger, rather than relying on "well you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that!"

Turns out not everyone in the field (or anyone at all, for that matter) operates on their A, B C, or D game 100% of the time

Making it as hard as possible to do the wrong thing is definitely relevant in UI/UX design, as well. Accidental deletions are a thing you very much have to minimize.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

What even would be a time that is needed? The only thing I can think of is if you were crazed enough to backfeed your house in an outage using a portable generator, and even that adds huge amount of danger such as for lineworkers who think power is cut.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, more construction projects these days should work with golems, it just makes sense.

Didnt Prague have a incident that kill this idea?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

By popular demand posted:

So is E game where you stumble around like Inspector Clusou on deliriants?

E is a heavily hungover operator jury-rigging pump controls that provide fresh water to tens of thousands of residents while his mind is occupied by his impending divorce and his kid's recent arrest

One of my mentors once told me "design your facilities as if everyone who will be working on them will be drunk in the pouring rain"

Zero VGS posted:

What even would be a time that is needed? The only thing I can think of is if you were crazed enough to backfeed your house in an outage using a portable generator, and even that adds huge amount of danger such as for lineworkers who think power is cut.

Backfeeding a house through a receptacle is the primary use of those cables and tends to be the $15 go-to over a ~$500 transfer switch setup. It's either that or backwards christmas lights

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 20, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I grew up out in the country where it was pretty common to have a generator hooked up in case of outages, I never thought about the exact mechanics of wiring it in before. My dad's a competent electrician (as far as I know), so hopefully he didn't just splice one of those together himself to get it done.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Not a Children posted:

Worked with a farm-raised guy who would bitch about 'liberal white collar bureaucrats' treating everyone like idiots and making it 'impossible' for him to do his job because we had to have guards over conveyer screws and belt drives and stuff, but to be fair, having less than ten fingers probably did make his work more difficult.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1549738928860692483

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Not a Children posted:

It's either that or backwards christmas lights

My dad hasn't physically been able to hang Xmas lights in years and his mind is also now going down, but the Xmas after I found (and threw away) his male-male extension cords, he called and asked if I knew where they went. Out of everything his mind can remember, it's that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Checks out, that looks like an emergency!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope the parachutist is in one piece.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I don't think one piece usually has anyone from real life in it, much less a random paratrooper

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

He ain’t gonna jump no more

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

He will be fine if his body has properties of both rubber and gum

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zero VGS posted:

It's how you hook up a generator in a "drawing an electrical diagram" way, and probably how most people do it. Couple problems in practice though:

• most generators can overload the cable and the 15 amp circuit it's plugged into
  • one end will have an exposed bit of live metal you can touch if it isn't plugged in
  • as you said, it's dangerous for linesmen if the main breaker is still on, especially because the transformer on the pole works in reverse to step the voltage back up to transmission voltage
  • if the main breaker is on when power is restored it can do bad things to your generator and the things plugged into your house

The proper way to backfeed is to plug a thick generator cord into a generator outlet (has male prongs) and going into a dedicated circuit that is on an interlock with the main breaker. The interlock makes it so the generator circuit (and it's male outlet) can't be energized when hooked into the grid, and so the main can't be engaged when the generator circuit is live.

You can also use a transfer switch, but it involves more wiring, costs more, and you usually only get a few circuits to choose from. Makes it easier to tell when power is restored though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ILACNpI.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/e5qTSFh.mp4

Sound improves the experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Some people tell me my bathroom routine is weird and unnecessary, but they're just plain wrong

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

uber_stoat posted:

there are usually up to around 10 massive explosions on the Hoover Dam on any given day, few know this. stay calm citizens.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

The only one of these I've seen was at my friend's parents house, they used it to provide shore power for their little old camper. One end plugged in the house, the other in a camper kitchen outlet.