Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Commander Keene posted:

Here's a 4th for you.

Cheers!

I am 2982-0483-8705.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What the are the best LPs of RPGs out there?

Depends. Do you like screenshots or video? And played straight or shitshow?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mierenneuker posted:

Cheers!

I am 2982-0483-8705.
Added.

I haven't played BD in forever, like I think literally 8 or so years (goddamn it's already been 8 years :corsair:), so I don't remember what my friend summon does or what Nemesis I'm sending, etc, but I was all maxed out on jobs and such, I do remember that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

GrandmaParty posted:

Depends. Do you like screenshots or video? And played straight or shitshow?

It's easier to skim over in a thread, but videos are fine.

Is there a word for why JRPGs were thin on the ground around 2010? I know a major factor is budgets because the push for HD graphics killed off a lot series after the PS2 era, but was there a design philosophy at play that wasn't resonating with audiences?

The opening of Dark Dawn is absolutely excruciating as it is ten minutes of un-skippable text followed by another ten minutes of dense technobabble. The entire game is like this, with little regard for the player. This title came out in 2010 but shows no improvement to a formula established in 2001. I have no intention of playing it, I just want to jog my memory so I can poo poo on it in a review.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

What the are the best LPs of RPGs out there?

Usually the more mediocre the game, the better thread, like Yiik and Golden Sun.

I briefly looked at Dark Dawn again to confirm it is probably the most mediocre game ever made. It has the lukewarm intensity of half a sun.

Knights of the Old Republic II by Scorchy is still one of the best screenshot lets plays.

On the LPArchive

The thread (archives required)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Waiting for Xenoblade 3, I powered through Crystal Project in a few days.

I really liked the idea of just exploring the game, even if the platforming was frustrating at times. Finding out secret ways to get into areas way higher level than your party and getting all kinds of broken weapons, armors, etc. Is satisfying.

Try as much as you will, you won't break the game, however, because the big negative here is a total lack of balance in the combat. I was playing on hard, and essentially found it impossible to fight stuff (even regular battles) without basically blowing it up instantly with a fuckton of magic, then spamming ethers and potions between battles and reviving the people that inevitably died in one or two hits. There is no item command (locked to a job, isn't REALLY an item command as much as a class that uses items to produce similar effects in battle) , and MP/HP values are low on characters and REALLY high on bosses, thus it is hard to sustain any fight for more than a couple of rounds before dying to attrition. Hit rates for non-magic seems to be rather low as well, which is frustrating. Since most of the bosses are merely guarding a crystal that unlocks more jobs, I found myself finding ways to despawn or get around them (sometimes taking dozens of tries) rather than fighting them, and coming back at a later time. Until the end game when I actually discovered I should just have 4 wizards, I would routinely not be strong enough to beat even bosses I had "skipped" from 5-10 hours earlier in the game. There is no flee command, so you are forced to just avoid enemies most of the time. There are ways to escape from combat that are inconvenient to use later on in the game.

Also, the game just caps you at level 60 rather than 99, when it is clear the endgame bosses and enemies continue to get stronger into what would be the equivalent of the 70s, 80s, and even 90s. There is an option to remove the cap that is locked in way that tries to make you feel like you are cheating if you use it I guess? I'm not sure how much it would even help based on the way characters progress from level-ups; you wouldn't gain enough from it that it would change the cheese everything in 1-2 rounds strategies. I thought that was a rather weird design choice.

Still a recommend from me, it's one of those games where you'll probably never find everything hidden in every little nook and cranny of the huge interconnected world. If you just like loving around and trying to 'problem solve'/find weird tech to get past areas/enemies/etc, you'll love this game.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 20, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

Waiting for Xenoblade 3

I really want this game already, it cant come soon enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is there a word for why JRPGs were thin on the ground around 2010? I know a major factor is budgets because the push for HD graphics killed off a lot series after the PS2 era, but was there a design philosophy at play that wasn't resonating with audiences?
i don't know if it was about resonating with audiences because there wasn't much for people to play in the first place. i just think that the typical world structure of a JRPG means a substantially larger budget is required, the higher fidelity you go. We still haven't really had a ton of that to this day without some sort of compromise, like how some rpgs just make the overworld a bunch of nodes you switch between (although to be fair, saga minstrel's song and shadow hearts did that too), or Scarlet Grace's presentation. the Tales games I guess are the closest analog to how JRPGs used to be structured.. and then you have the more modern open world design philosophy seen in the Xenoblade series or Genshin Impact that is probably going to be the norm for the big budget rpg for a while.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I said come in! posted:

I really want this game already, it cant come soon enough.

hey just wanna say i love your av it's always been a long time favorite

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Began playing Caligula Effect 2 last night, only a few hours in but really loving it so far, both story and gameplay-wise. Soon as I was able to kill a lv24 enemy at lv 6, I was sold. Really digging how much room there is for combos and player skill compared to a lot of JRPGs. Also it's one of the few JRPGs that makes Defend not feel like poo poo!

Also hope the story explores some of the implied trans themes more, but not exactly holding my breath.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Didn't Monark have trans themes too or am I mistaken

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Nyoro posted:

Didn't Monark have trans themes too or am I mistaken

if you consider 'treating a trans character like a punchline for existing' themes, then I guess

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought Caligula 2 handled the gender stuff pretty well.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

BabyRyoga posted:

Waiting for Xenoblade 3, I powered through Crystal Project in a few days.

I really liked the idea of just exploring the game, even if the platforming was frustrating at times. Finding out secret ways to get into areas way higher level than your party and getting all kinds of broken weapons, armors, etc. Is satisfying.

Try as much as you will, you won't break the game, however, because the big negative here is a total lack of balance in the combat. I was playing on hard, and essentially found it impossible to fight stuff (even regular battles) without basically blowing it up instantly with a fuckton of magic, then spamming ethers and potions between battles and reviving the people that inevitably died in one or two hits. There is no item command (locked to a job, isn't REALLY an item command as much as a class that uses items to produce similar effects in battle) , and MP/HP values are low on characters and REALLY high on bosses, thus it is hard to sustain any fight for more than a couple of rounds before dying to attrition. Hit rates for non-magic seems to be rather low as well, which is frustrating. Since most of the bosses are merely guarding a crystal that unlocks more jobs, I found myself finding ways to despawn or get around them (sometimes taking dozens of tries) rather than fighting them, and coming back at a later time. Until the end game when I actually discovered I should just have 4 wizards, I would routinely not be strong enough to beat even bosses I had "skipped" from 5-10 hours earlier in the game. There is no flee command, so you are forced to just avoid enemies most of the time. There are ways to escape from combat that are inconvenient to use later on in the game.

Also, the game just caps you at level 60 rather than 99, when it is clear the endgame bosses and enemies continue to get stronger into what would be the equivalent of the 70s, 80s, and even 90s. There is an option to remove the cap that is locked in way that tries to make you feel like you are cheating if you use it I guess? I'm not sure how much it would even help based on the way characters progress from level-ups; you wouldn't gain enough from it that it would change the cheese everything in 1-2 rounds strategies. I thought that was a rather weird design choice.

Still a recommend from me, it's one of those games where you'll probably never find everything hidden in every little nook and cranny of the huge interconnected world. If you just like loving around and trying to 'problem solve'/find weird tech to get past areas/enemies/etc, you'll love this game.

This isn't really the case even on Hard. Random encounters do expect you to use Sleep to whittle down enemy actions per round (Rogue has sleep bomb), but attrition is perfectly possible on bosses so long as you a) have a tank, b) use stat debuffs (adding buffs is nice but not necessary), and c) have some way of stopping enemy actions (Blind before physicals and interrupt casting-time spells, Rogue can do both and Daze helps time the second). Using a Warlock for cheap attack spells and Refresh access is also very helpful.

(Also, Rogue can flee battles, it's a relatively easy skill to learn. Did you just never use that class?)

I'd say that some classes are too necessary on Hard (Rogue, Warlock and Shaman, for example), but even if you don't want to use them, you're apparently proof that there are other strategies.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Einander posted:

This isn't really the case even on Hard. Random encounters do expect you to use Sleep to whittle down enemy actions per round (Rogue has sleep bomb), but attrition is perfectly possible on bosses so long as you a) have a tank, b) use stat debuffs (adding buffs is nice but not necessary), and c) have some way of stopping enemy actions (Blind before physicals and interrupt casting-time spells, Rogue can do both and Daze helps time the second). Using a Warlock for cheap attack spells and Refresh access is also very helpful.

(Also, Rogue can flee battles, it's a relatively easy skill to learn. Did you just never use that class?)

I'd say that some classes are too necessary on Hard (Rogue, Warlock and Shaman, for example), but even if you don't want to use them, you're apparently proof that there are other strategies.

I used rogue a lot. Sleep is interesting in that it will work 100% of the time on literally anything, but it also only works once. It's definitely a part of the "flare everything into submission" strategy. I also used a tank for at least 75% of the game, but abilities having low hit rates (even in the 80% range is kinda low when you need everything to land or you will potentially lose) and melee damage in general being really low until you have most of the jobs mastered and set up a ton of passives that synergize just made it so I didn't want to try and figure out strategies that would lead to long drawn-out fights. I think part of the problem with hard is that the dev wanted you to use nearly every ability in the game. While it isn't too hard or too time consuming to max jobs when grinding in the right places, it feels like the amount of job levels the game wants you to have relative to the level of the enemies at any given time is way too high. Like I said, most of the bosses were green or even grey flames by the time I was able to go back and beat them. At some point when I found the metal slime enemy, I spent a bit over an hour maxing a ton of jobs for everyone, but it still just felt like a bunch of wizards hitting for 3k-5k a pop was the way to go.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've successfully jogged my memory as to how poo poo Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was for the sake of a review. The biggest sticking point is that the entire first half of the game is about finding a feather needed to repair a hang-glider. When you do find the feather you don't even get to repair and use said hang-glider.

What are other case of an unimportant subplot taking up a disproportionate amount of time in an RPG?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've successfully jogged my memory as to how poo poo Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was for the sake of a review. The biggest sticking point is that the entire first half of the game is about finding a feather needed to repair a hang-glider. When you do find the feather you don't even get to repair and use said hang-glider.

What are other case of an unimportant subplot taking up a disproportionate amount of time in an RPG?

Well, Pokémon Reborn has the quest to gain the Strength TM to move a particular boulder...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i liked dark dawn

the point-of-no-return djinn were kind of trash but fortunately that's something you can prepare for and alleviate by following a guide--annoying, but not deal breaking. The graphics and music were a lot worse than the GBA games but both reasonable enough

The golden sun class system still owns, puzzle dungeons are good, and it has sveta in it. A good game, imo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Breath of Fire 2 has a 30 hour subplot revolving around hiding your best friend from the cops to prove he didn't break into a rich guy's mansion and steal a bunch of stuff (he only broke in, someone else stole the stuff) which has the main character travel all over the world hunting for evidence before finally coming back to clear his name.

The night you do he breaks in again and you end up killing the rich guy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Platforming and puzzles are welcome in an RPG provided they don't occur in the same room as enemy-encounters.

If I recall, Xenogears had a long dungeon with platforming where enemies would attack between jumps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think dark dawn turned off encounters in the really puzzle-heavy rooms, at least

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought Caligula 2 handled the gender stuff pretty well.

Even the anti-fat people thing that people often brought up in 1 actually had an interesting turn. the overweight characters wished to be able to wear whatever they wanted, not to be thinner to be able to wear them, and Mifue apologizes for how she was being a piece of crap to them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I think dark dawn turned off encounters in the really puzzle-heavy rooms, at least

it does and frankly more games should

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

If I recall, Xenogears had a long dungeon with platforming where enemies would attack between jumps.

And even worse, having a fight mid-jump cancelled all your momentum and dropped you straight down.
I remember listening to the cd drive a lot to hear the loadings so I could anticipate when a fight would occur.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cheetah7071 posted:

The entire series does that. Whenever puzzles get involved the encounters are either dialed down or turned off entirely.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

cheetah7071 posted:

i liked dark dawn

the point-of-no-return djinn were kind of trash but fortunately that's something you can prepare for and alleviate by following a guide--annoying, but not deal breaking. The graphics and music were a lot worse than the GBA games but both reasonable enough

The golden sun class system still owns, puzzle dungeons are good, and it has sveta in it. A good game, imo

I found Dark Dawn quite charming. Sveta rules! The antagonists were neat and did a little more than the adepts from Prox, it gave me a nice epic world-spanning adventure, and the puzzles were just as satisfying as in the earlier games.

Never really got the criticism that the characters/writing were boring, but I wasn't really coming in expecting much interpersonal drama or tension. I do feel that some of the people who join later on felt under-utilized. Eoleo felt pretty vestigial, and I don't feel like I remember Himi doing much either...

Speaking of which, I googled the game just now and it looks like there's a little buzz about Camelot updating their website with some golden sun stuff. No actual announcements, but they put some new high-res renders of the old art up. It would be really cool if they did end up making a new RPG on Nintendo's current hardware, the touchscreen and gyro stuff might enable some neat dungeon puzzle mechanics.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Camelot emerging back out of the Mario sports mines would be something.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Looper posted:

it does and frankly more games should
The Etrian Odyssey games typically have very low encounter rates in FOE puzzle rooms, and usually none in boss rooms (which sometimes also have puzzles to weaken or outmaneuver the boss).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the gender stuff in caligula 2 is very blatant and very well-explored, its an explicit subject the game touches on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Even the anti-fat people thing that people often brought up in 1 actually had an interesting turn. the overweight characters wished to be able to wear whatever they wanted, not to be thinner to be able to wear them, and Mifue apologizes for how she was being a piece of crap to them.
also the trans storyline in caligula 1 was also pretty good despite people being weird about it, the party are kinda dicks but it feels more like the party being dicks than you being meant to agree with them, and sweet-p is a balding 30-something irl whose parents are old and sick and she doesnt want to drop this huge drama bomb on them before they die and doesnt feel like shed make a cute girl anyway at this point, and the conclusion of her arc is just 'well i can lose some weight and take better care of myself from now on and ill see where i go from there.' it feels like a way more realistic turn than a lot of stuff ive seen, and more like, actually hopeful for it, because it acknowledges you can be in a really bad situation wrt your self-image and still have practical options to improve it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 20, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can totally see why people at release were very upset with dark dawn, because it legitimately has much worse aesthetics than the GBA games, and the points of no return are baffling. But I think if you go into the game knowing the big issues and have your expectations set wrt them, the remainder of the game is quite good and very enjoyable on its own terms

I also think this about Dragon Age 2

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

boblemoche posted:

And even worse, having a fight mid-jump cancelled all your momentum and dropped you straight down.
I remember listening to the cd drive a lot to hear the loadings so I could anticipate when a fight would occur.

Then, after you finally finish jumping up the tower to the top, your gears fly up to Shevat.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

dark dawn was probably the first time i was ever truly disappointed in a game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As far back Dragon Quest III you could have male party members who were geezers (mage), math teachers (priest and merchant), and possible serial-killers (gadabout). Meanwhile their female counterparts were all meant to be cute, attractive, and fanservicey (warrior and gadabout).

What RPGs have greater parity in female party-member designs? Like being really plain, or really old and not like a millenia-lived dragon or vampire. I'm talking Nanny Ogg here.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 20, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fire Emblem: Binding Blade has a reasonable assortment of teenage girls, young women, middle-aged ladies and a crone dark mage. And a female archer who's trait is that she's somewhat plain looking.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Etrian Odyssey 5 has a single old person portrait and its a rad grandmother.

That's the only game in the series with an older woman portrait though and almost all the rest of the portraits really lean into the normal paradigm.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tri strat has an older woman party member and a good amount of ladies around their 30s

good variance in the designs past the age too imo. the bartender looks like female gaston.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 21, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Endorph posted:

also the trans storyline in caligula 1 was also pretty good despite people being weird about it, the party are kinda dicks but it feels more like the party being dicks than you being meant to agree with them, and sweet-p is a balding 30-something irl whose parents are old and sick and she doesnt want to drop this huge drama bomb on them before they die and doesnt feel like shed make a cute girl anyway at this point, and the conclusion of her arc is just 'well i can lose some weight and take better care of myself from now on and ill see where i go from there.' it feels like a way more realistic turn than a lot of stuff ive seen, and more like, actually hopeful for it, because it acknowledges you can be in a really bad situation wrt your self-image and still have practical options to improve it.

Agreed! I think one nuance with sweet-p is that it was less about sexual identity and more about how they wanted to express themselves and just be the guy who wears cute clothes/dresses, with the exercise more about being able to fit in the stuff they like and rock the looks.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As far back Dragon Quest III you could have male party members who were geezers (mage), math teachers (priest and merchant), and possible serial-killers (gadabout). Meanwhile their female counterparts were all meant to be cute, attractive, and fanservicey (warrior and gadabout).

What RPGs have greater parity in female party-member designs? Like being really plain, or really old and not like a millenia-lived dragon or vampire. I'm talking Nanny Ogg here.

Triangle Strategy does a decent job. Some of the optional recruitable characters include two of the commanders who fought in the Saltiron War 30 years ago— by now, they're a grizzled, old archer guy and an old lady with determination and a set of brass knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's kinda funny how much nicer the CE2 cast is than what I've seen of the CE1 cast lol

highlighted by the literal boy genius who constantly criticizes and goes aggro on everyone and there's a meeting later and you think everyone's about to bitch about him and instead they're like "lmao it's adorable when he yells at us" because he's like 12 years old