Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody check on r-lam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Flames are never drafting another American again

gimme that fox/gaudreau/tkachuk venn diagram immediately

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Motte is a good player but if the rumored ask for $2m/year is true then yeah don't pay a 4th liner that kind of money. Just because Reaves is overpaid doesn't mean you should go make the same mistake even if the player is more useful

His rumored ask was 4 years at 2m per, and the two comparables who got similar contracts are Calle Jarnkrok (way better) and Nicolas Deslauriers (way worse). I'd guess the offer he's looking for isn't out there or he would've already signed it. Considering NYR moved him up in the lineup at times, I wonder if he ends up taking a one-year deal and hoping to top his career high of 16 points in order to get a better offer next year as the cap goes up.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

corn on the cop posted:

losing your two best players in one offseason is absolutely catastrophic. and one of them went for nothing.

I guess it remains to be seen but I can't imagine the chucky cheese trade being all that great either.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zodijackylite posted:

His rumored ask was 4 years at 2m per, and the two comparables who got similar contracts are Calle Jarnkrok (way better) and Nicolas Deslauriers (way worse). I'd guess the offer he's looking for isn't out there or he would've already signed it. Considering NYR moved him up in the lineup at times, I wonder if he ends up taking a one-year deal and hoping to top his career high of 16 points in order to get a better offer next year as the cap goes up.

To be clear I'd rather they dump Reaves if it meant they could sign Motte, but I don't think it's really worth it to sign him to $2 mill per either.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

losing your two best players in one offseason is absolutely catastrophic. and one of them went for nothing.

buffalo sabres, july 1st, 2007

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

whatis posted:

Good news for Calgary fans is that the Sabres were able to turn things around quickly, right? Or maybe the exact opposite.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Motte is so good I wish the Canucks had signed him 4x$2m instead of paying Mikheyev 4x$4.75m to do the same be-fast-because-all-divisional-rivals-are-hung-up-on-McDavid thing

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Stars confirmed to be on Tkachuk's short list of teams he would sign a long term contract with, said to be one of the teams actively discussing a trade with Calgary

I should have suspected this when John Klingberg was shuffled out of the team without even trying to negotiate a new contract..

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hey, Mikheyev beat McDavid in a straightaway footrace one time (when McDavid was at the end of a shift and also behind him to start). You can’t beat that sort of psychological edge.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

Stars confirmed to be on Tkachuk's short list of teams he would sign a long term contract with, said to be one of the teams actively discussing a trade with Calgary

I should have suspected this when John Klingberg was shuffled out of the team without even trying to negotiate a new contract..

....what, why? Sorry, I'm still shocked anytime a high profile player wants to come to Dallas. Mavericks have killed me, i guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lack of income tax in Texas as something to do with it, I reckon

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
good loving riddance. honestly, great news. he's not a player to build around.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
nope... great complimentary player and an even better poo poo disturber, but I was scared of long term with the friendship tour.

Some of the rumored packages out of St. Louis and NJD sound great... so they're probably bullshit and the Flames will get a late first rounder and mid-tier prospect.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

mennoknight posted:

yeah the only way I can see a Stars trade working is if the Stars were sending Roope Hintz or Jason Robertson back which would be a bitter pill to swallow.. There's some fantasist bs out there about a trade built around Esa Lindell but the Flames already have 2 better versions of Lindell in Hanifin and Tanev so there would be no reason for them to do that

I get the feeling Dallas isn't a serious bidder and they're just involved to try and drive up the price St. Louis eventually has to pay lol

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

T-Bone posted:

The Flames are never drafting another American again

gimme that fox/gaudreau/tkachuk venn diagram immediately

Yeah... but the alternative of..... Olli Juolevi, Alex Nylander or even Keller, it still screams to take the BPA.

Edit: I mean they'll still get a decent package of assets for Tkachuk and at least we didn't draft:

(I really just wanted an excuse to post that again)

Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 20, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Misanthrope posted:

nope... great complimentary player and an even better poo poo disturber, but I was scared of long term with the friendship tour.

Some of the rumored packages out of St. Louis and NJD sound great... so they're probably bullshit and the Flames will get a late first rounder and mid-tier prospect.

What are the NJD rumors?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
loving all the Flames fans saying they didn't want him anyway and actually this is fine

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

mcmagic posted:

What are the NJD rumors?

5 Hughes Brothers

edit: to be fair, I have been clamoring for a Tkachuk trade for years

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

I like to imagine that Lindholm has been off the grid fishing in Sweden for the last 2 weeks and isn't aware that his linemates have changed drastically.

edit: :tif:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mennoknight posted:

5 Hughes Brothers

edit: to be fair, I have been clamoring for a Tkachuk trade for years

No hughes' are being traded.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Sorry they weren't "rumors", it was just potential trade partners and realistic proposal "chatter" and NJD was a good fit... no Hughes were exchanged.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm sure that the Kings could offer picks/prospects/Jack D. Hughes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

whatis posted:

Columbus Blue Jackets, July 1, 2019.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Very happy that the Flames made Tkachuk untouchable in an Eichel trade

https://twitter.com/nathancsn/status/1549846777691394048

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 20, 2022

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Misanthrope posted:

Sorry they weren't "rumors", it was just potential trade partners and realistic proposal "chatter" and NJD was a good fit... no Hughes were exchanged.

Trade proposals are always so overblown. The fans of the team always end up disappointed. Look at what people were talking about for DeBrincat before he went to Ottawa for a 1st and 2nd. It's the same story every time. Eichel was traded for Tuch, Krebs, and a conditional 1st. Decent players, but hardly franchise-altering.

Not sure when the last time a star player got traded for a king's ransom. The few recent trades that have worked out really well for the team trading the star player only worked out because an underrated prospect turned out to be really good and the team trading for the player ended up sucking balls.

For example, Duchene in 2017 involved a 1st rounder from the conference-finalist Ottawa Senators, some undersized defenceman named Sam Girard, and a middling prospect (Shane Bowers). Trade turned into a haul for Colorado after Girard turned out to be a star, and Ottawa sucked balls so the pick was 4th overall (Byram).

Karlsson in 2018 involved a 1st rounder from the conference-finalist San Jose Sharks, a middling prospect (Josh Norris), and a throw-in defenceman (DeMelo). Trade turned into a haul for Ottawa after Norris turned out to be a star and San Jose sucked balls so the pick was 3rd overall (Stutzle).

bub spank fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 20, 2022

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
In a totally unrelated thought, if Pierre Dorion traded away Connor Brown without fully investigating whether Drake Batherson was involved in this 2018 WJC thing, it was one of the dumbest moves of the offseason.

If Batherson was involved in the WJC thing, there's no way they can reasonably keep him on the team. There's also no obvious replacement for him on the team unless they want to try Mathieu Joseph in the top 6 again. Brown's nowhere near as good as Batherson, but he would've been easily capable of filling his spot in the lineup.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/jclipperton_cp/status/1549852320279691265?s=21&t=fHSKmYMq0ZJXTNNzXsaN5w

We will no longer use our secret slush fund to pay off sexual assault victims, please come back sponsors

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/jclipperton_cp/status/1549852320279691265?s=21&t=fHSKmYMq0ZJXTNNzXsaN5w

We will no longer use our secret slush fund to pay off sexual assault victims, please come back sponsors

We are sorry for shooting that person but we promise from now on, our bullets will be ethically sourced.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mennoknight posted:

You're right. Calgary still has.... umm, Sean Monahan?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its tough these days in Alberta. The Flames lost Tkachuk and Gaudreau and the Oilers lost Keith and Kassian and Mike Smith!!!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Yeah I’m looking at the Flames roster trying to pick a youngish player to build around if they did decide to blow it up and it’s uhhh woof

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/F1RETHECANNON/status/1549859689009119242

The reply I'm posting this for can't be seen unless you open the full Tweet, but (points at gangtag.)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah I’m looking at the Flames roster trying to pick a youngish player to build around if they did decide to blow it up and it’s uhhh woof

Probably Dustin Wolf, or you build around the player you hopefully get with the high pick in next year's draft you got for Tkachuk

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/CF_DepthCharts/status/1549395315593252865?s=20&t=q0YYI3TeAFrI7cCr6-C13A

Grats Pittsburg for passing the Caps!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dallas went down the list I think! That's progress!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Dallas went down the list I think! That's progress!

yup the last few years they've always been right at the top with Vegas jockeying for the oldest roster in the league, now I see both franchises are sheading veterans..

Wasn't so long ago Tampa Bay was simultaneously the youngest team in the league and one of the best teams in the league lol.. changing of the seasons :)

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Finally the Sharks aren't in the top 5 anymore. Getting rid of Marleau, Thornton, and now Burns has helped.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

First 4 teams signed guys to term to get cup wins, it's ok if the team is old and slow if the old guys won them a cup in the last 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fermun posted:

First 4 teams signed guys to term to get cup wins, it's ok if the team is old and slow if the old guys won them a cup in the last 10 years.

And the rest have either contended for cups or are Toronto.