Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I don't know either. Maybe they just wanted to clarify that she's not an illegal immigrant?

Yeah, not good to have a superhero who came to our planet illegally. That would never fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rick posted:

I get Lady Deathstrike and Spiral confused all the time. I wonder what Spiral is up to.

spiral's relationship with linear time means that at any given moment she is almost certainly henching for mojo but may also be somewhere else doing her own thing. she's got a complicated life.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

Yeah, not good to have a superhero who came to our planet illegally. That would never fly.

It might not fly, but it could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lobok posted:

Now why might people have a problem with America Cavez entering the country illegally, while they are just fine and dandy with good ol' Clark? I wonder what makes them so different.

But honestly, it was kinda weird to push her as the big Latin American representation, when she didn't even have ties to that place. It would be wrong too if they had some homosexual representation by picking a character from a world where there aren't even genders. Come to think of it that happened quite recently in a Marvel movie.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 20, 2022

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Glad to see the quest to give She-Hulk the most boring covers around continues unabated

Lobok posted:

they usually do though

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

You'll believe an immigrant can fly.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
America Chavez is the new Donna Troy, huh

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now why might people have a problem with America Cavez entering the country illegally, while they are just fine and dandy with good ol' Clark? I wonder what makes them so different.

Of course, but those people would have to say what that difference is and then be dismissed because of it. Assuming Marvel is even thinking of that, she doesn't seem to have raised a stink from being in a big movie.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There is a Mexican Superman btw, and he's also a lot cooler and better than America Chavez. Unfortunately, everyone including DC has forgotten that Elseworlds story, even though I feel like it has a significant amount of promise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think they’ve forgotten, it’s just like most else worlds no one really cares

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't believe anyone is cooler than America Chavez.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't believe anyone is cooler than America Chavez.

I'm cooler than America Chavez

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Man Avengers feels like it's been spinning it's wheels on this multiversal Mephisto story forever. I guess Aaron does love his character mash ups but it seems excessive. Wonder if he'll just ignore AXE? I didn't look at the tie in list closely.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Man Avengers feels like it's been spinning it's wheels on this multiversal Mephisto story forever. I guess Aaron does love his character mash ups but it seems excessive. Wonder if he'll just ignore AXE? I didn't look at the tie in list closely.

I was literally thinking the other day " ... is anyone still reading it?" Like looking back Aaron's been writing the book for four years now and the only thing I can even remember about his run is "they live in a celestial" and "the Phoenix is Thor's mom".

I'm not even saying anyone of it is bad, but it seems like after enough time passes it'll just be completely forgettable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rick posted:

I get Lady Deathstrike and Spiral confused all the time. I wonder what Spiral is up to.
Spiral is doing poo poo in Mojoworld but seemed to be among the less malicious entities operating there, which mostly meant her organized snuff filming for ratings was relatively judicious. I like her hair lately though, it's a great look, so who can say if she is good or bad?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cael posted:

I was literally thinking the other day " ... is anyone still reading it?" Like looking back Aaron's been writing the book for four years now and the only thing I can even remember about his run is "they live in a celestial" and "the Phoenix is Thor's mom".

I'm not even saying anyone of it is bad, but it seems like after enough time passes it'll just be completely forgettable.

I'm still reading it and enjoying it, but it feels more and more like an airport thriller or similar trashy novel, it's a hit of dopamine from "Character mashup! Big thing happen!" but I want it to go somewhere or at least do something different.

While it's not as bad as Reckoning War, there's a lot of things that make it feel separate from the rest of the Marvel universe, which is a pity as I really enjoyed it up to a point (probably the end of the Heroes Reborn arc, which I daresay is later than most people jumped off). Early things with e.g. the Agents of Wakanda were great. Give me more Fat Cobra and Gorilla-Man working with Wasp and Doctor Nemesis stories. And I'm gonna say this, as a long-suffering Iron Man fan, Avengers was a far better treatment of the character than the poo poo Slott was putting out while he was on the solo book.

Which is a lot of words to say I enjoy it, but I don't think I can recommend it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Killraven. Killraven kicks rear end. They keep making all these Marvel TV shows, I want a long running Killraven show! Every episode Killraven and the Freemen fight some Martian monstrosity and strike a blow for freedom against the inhuman invaders! Also, like the comic, the show should constantly be building up Deathraven only to be cancelled before he shows up.

I especially liked how the crossover with Spiderman established that it's possible that The War of the Worlds is canon in the Marvel universe.

Just don't read the comic where Killraven gets captured by a group of black people who want to kill him because he's white. I'd say it hasn't aged well, but honestly that one wasn't great when it came out.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

She-Hulk continues to baffle me. What was hinted to be progress in the Jack of Hearts story now appears to be a very odd red herring, though it may at least be seeds of a separate story. Maybe it's the sunk cost getting to me, or maybe I'm finally starting to get the comic, but it's not annoying me as much as it previously did. I'm starting to think the "mystery" is less important than the slice of life, "old friend crashing on your couch" narrative. That it's trying to be more real life "with super powers" as opposed to the standard super hero story I'm more accustomed to. Granted, I'm still as in the dark as to where it's going as I was previously, and thus unable to anticipate if it will hold my attention. Next issue looks like it will focus more on her law career, which holds some promise. I'll see how I feel after that.

Defender's Beyond looks to be a good follow-up to Ewing's previous mini, so happy to go on another bizarre ride.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nah I'm dropping She-Hulk. I don't care anymore. I still think the art looks nice, I still think it's a quaint little story (I mean this in the good way, not the demeaning way), but I just don't care anymore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cael posted:

Didn't people ignore that almost immediately?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

glitchwraith posted:

She-Hulk continues to baffle me. What was hinted to be progress in the Jack of Hearts story now appears to be a very odd red herring, though it may at least be seeds of a separate story.

I'm not how I feel about "developmentally delayed superhuman with a hot wife" as a story concept. I expect there's something in the story to make it less gross, but it's not a great starting point.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not how I feel about "developmentally delayed superhuman with a hot wife" as a story concept. I expect there's something in the story to make it less gross, but it's not a great starting point.

Yeah, that's a delicate narrative that could easily become problematic. I'm guessing this will be presented as something that happened to him after marriage, like if Banner had Hulked out but been unable to change back. Still a very odd way to introduce the character though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I enjoy She-Hulk. It's nice to have a comic that's just down to Earth and telling a story about how superheroes live a normal life, or struggle to.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Nessus posted:

Spiral is doing poo poo in Mojoworld but seemed to be among the less malicious entities operating there, which mostly meant her organized snuff filming for ratings was relatively judicious. I like her hair lately though, it's a great look, so who can say if she is good or bad?

It doesn’t really count but Spiral showed up this week in Knights of X in a hallucination that Shatterstar was having.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoy She-Hulk. It's nice to have a comic that's just down to Earth and telling a story about how superheroes live a normal life, or struggle to.

In a way it does feel like a certain brand of late 80's DC titles that felt like mostly focused on the out of costume stuff that you don't really get anymore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, in a world that seems like it's ping-ponging from event to event it's nice to have a very chill book

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh sooo there's two lokis running around now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh sooo there's two lokis running around now?
Wait, didn't Kid Loki get rezzed at one point, too? Is he still around?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, didn't Kid Loki get rezzed at one point, too? Is he still around?

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Not currently, no.

Kid Loki's only come back twice officially iirc. The first time (the more important one) is in Gillen's Young Avengers where he's Loki impersonating Kid Loki while feeling guilt over having killed/consumed KL. He gets aged up near the end of the series by Wiccan and then goes on to be Loki, Agent of Asgard. Loki then, over the course of the series, goes on a bunch of adventures and ends up dying and reincarnating into his current form as the God of Stories right in time for Secret Wars to happen. He doesn't die in an incursion though, he goes to a white space with some gods of the multiverse, he tells them to gently caress themselves, and then draws a door that says "Next" in the last panel of the comic to walk through to the next universe, where he lands (several years later) in the end of Ewing's previous Defenders series.

The other time Kid Loki appeared was in 2018's (brilliantly titled) Asgardians of the Galaxy mini where he's just a spell cast/shade summoned by Loki (he implies that Loki might not even be aware he cast him) to assist Angela in getting an Asgardian artifact to help in the coming War of the Realms. He does, then fades away.

So currently there are two Lokis. That one I mentioned in the new Defenders series and the one that's existed in the Thor book since post-SW who has the same nebulous character history as every other character in the new iteration of the universe which is "exactly the same as the last iteration except if we decide to change something"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 22, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Not currently, no.

Kid Loki's only come back twice officially iirc. The first time (the more important one) is in Gillen's Young Avengers where he's Loki impersonating Kid Loki while feeling guilt over having killed/consumed KL. He gets aged up near the end of the series by Wiccan and then goes on to be Loki, Agent of Asgard. Loki then, over the course of the series, goes on a bunch of adventures and ends up dying and reincarnating into his current form as the God of Stories right in time for Secret Wars to happen. He doesn't die in an incursion though, he goes to a white space with some gods of the multiverse, he tells them to gently caress themselves, and then draws a door that says "Next" in the last panel of the comic to walk through to the next universe, where he lands (several years later) in the end of Ewing's previous Defenders series.

The other time Kid Loki appeared was in 2018's (brilliantly titled) Asgardians of the Galaxy mini where he's just a spell cast/shade summoned by Loki (he implies that Loki might not even be aware he cast him) to assist Angela in getting an Asgardian artifact to help in the coming War of the Realms. He does, then fades away.

So currently there are two Lokis. That one I mentioned in the new Defenders series and the one that's existed in the Thor book since post-SW who has the same nebulous character history as every other character in the new iteration of the universe which is "exactly the same as the last iteration except if we decide to change something"

What's the 'current' Loki been up to? Wasn't he a villain in Aaron's Avengers run at one point?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's the 'current' Loki been up to? Wasn't he a villain in Aaron's Avengers run at one point?

He was at the start of that run, which turned out to be a "playing the villain and manipulating the Avenger's for the greater good" type plan. I know he made a brief appearance in a recent Valkyrie mini, but I don't know what else he's been up to. Would have assumed he'd have popped up in Cates Thor by now, but I am not following that book. He's hinted to be involved in Legion of X, but I'm 90% sure that will end up being a misdirect.

Also, I really like extremely gender fluid Loki just changing their presentation on a whim. We need more of that. Was that a thing in Agent of Asgard? Either way, I should give that run a read.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dawgstar posted:

In a way it does feel like a certain brand of late 80's DC titles that felt like mostly focused on the out of costume stuff that you don't really get anymore.

Excuse me the Hawkguy run was only 10 years ago

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

glitchwraith posted:

He was at the start of that run, which turned out to be a "playing the villain and manipulating the Avenger's for the greater good" type plan. I know he made a brief appearance in a recent Valkyrie mini, but I don't know what else he's been up to. Would have assumed he'd have popped up in Cates Thor by now, but I am not following that book. He's hinted to be involved in Legion of X, but I'm 90% sure that will end up being a misdirect.

Also, I really like extremely gender fluid Loki just changing their presentation on a whim. We need more of that. Was that a thing in Agent of Asgard? Either way, I should give that run a read.

Yeah Loki being genderfluid was established in agent of asgard and later diretly codified by aaron

though I guess if you want to be REALLY technical it's a norse mythology thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Loki came back as a woman in J. Michael Straczynski's Thor run. And Sleipnir exists in both the comics and the MCU, though I'm not sure if they ever explain how Odin got him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Loki came back as a woman in J. Michael Straczynski's Thor run. And Sleipnir exists in both the comics and the MCU, though I'm not sure if they ever explain how Odin got him.

The JMS Lady Loki specifically turned out to be Loki possessing Sif's body in an act of cruelty instead of any kind of implications about gender identity

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

Yeah Agent of Asgard is a real good read. Even has some great tie-ins to the otherwise forgettable SIXIS event. This is from the penultimate issue

switching from panel to panel

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 23, 2022

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Cael posted:

It feels like there's stuff other writers might have picked up had it been more interesting, but Echo as Phoenix or Starbrand as a kid just don't seem that terribly interesting, and the Mephisto story that he's been "seeding" for literally the entire run seems perennially moribund.

And honestly, the most interesting thing about living in a dead celestial is the story we're about to get in Judgment Day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, the Hulk has been to a lot of barbarian fantasy worlds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1550979071743561731

Apparently there are clues in this. Ryan North writing maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hickman's new project teaser.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1550979577043996674