Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

John Murdoch posted:

Or I get misled and go down a total red herring of a rabbit hole because in actuality the puzzle is way simpler or way more complicated than I estimated.

I am an electrical engineer and I feel like that makes me worse at puzzles in some games. I think it was one of the RE remakes had a puzzle about completing a circuit and I remember looking at it and thinking there was no way that circuit could work. So I just systematically tried the different combination of options until it worked. Once I saw the solution, I understood what they were going for, but it didn't make sense electrically.

Or in Arkham City where in order to open a door you have to throw a boomerang through an arc and then fly it into a fuse box and somehow that makes the door open. That's not how that works.

I'm not expecting complete realism in a game. The kind of troubleshooting that I do would be super boring and tedious in that form, but it is funny how it affects my initial approach to some puzzles in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love puzzles and puzzle games but there are definitely limits to what I'm going to do. I was playing Dishonored and there was a safe combo that had a riddle attached, and I got that it wanted me to go look at paintings and count things but gently caress that, I get the concept I'm just going to look it up online

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I love puzzles when it's the focus of the game. When it's tacked on some other type of game I loving hate them. When I'm having fun punching or shooting I hate being forced to stop and do something else just so I can continue the fun thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I replay Bioshock every once in a while and it's still jarring how they devoted so much to their Pipe Dream clone and shoved it in for all the hacking

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been watching a the beginnings of a few LPs and streams of Return of the Obra Dinn. The game confirms deaths insets of three, and it’s pretty obvious which of the first three bodies are the ones intended to be be those first three. Despite this, I’ve seen a lot of over/under-thinking.

-The first body you see presents a guy calling out the captain, before getting shot by him. This is followed by two more guys fighting and getting killed by the captain by non-gun means. There’s no info yet to identify them.
-Next we see the captain committing suicide. Before he does, he talks to a nearby recently-deceased woman, identifying her as Abigail and begging forgiveness for shooting her brother and his friend. This allows you to identify the first body as the first mate, by reading the ship’s crew list looking for looking for someone with the same last name as her maiden name.
-Abigail’s vignette reaffirms that she’s the captain’s wife, and shows her getting crushed by falling rigging during a Kraken attack.

A lot of people seem to go “Okay, but can we be sure really is the captain is at this point?” or get distracted by the Kraken attack, and the death vignettes that opens up, to go back and confirm the identity of the first guy. And the farther you get from that first guy, the harder it can be to come back to him.

So that’s a demonstration how hard things can be to tutorialize. I did watch the first few minutes of the game before buying it, I can’t say if I’d have found it that obvious if I’d gone in blind.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Opopanax posted:

I replay Bioshock every once in a while and it's still jarring how they devoted so much to their Pipe Dream clone and shoved it in for all the hacking

That hacking game was one of the best parts of Bioshock 1

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I had zero issues at the beginning of the game but had my big “duh” moment near the middle when I didn’t realize that the loving bunk numbers correspond to the log book numbers. After I got that, I took a closer look at details like shoes etc and there were a few near the end I had to guess at because I didn’t read the big explanation in the book itself of ship roles/job responsibilities

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

So that’s a demonstration how hard things can be to tutorialize. I did watch the first few minutes of the game before buying it, I can’t say if I’d have found it that obvious if I’d gone in blind.

I did. Ticking off those 3 is just so completely the logical first thing to do.

Of course, the smartest thing to do would be to only enter in 2 of them and use the third slot to solve a harder identification but that's not something likely to occur to someone until later into the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had the overthinking problem at first with a simple puzzle in the Hobbit ps2 game, with barrels and switches. The switches had visual tells to show you a particular weight so a picture of a barrel with 1-3 filled in sections, and it took me a while to realise that it directly had the same tell on the actual barrels - the barrels had different amounts textured in red, from bottom to top, so you put the one with the red ring on the bottom on the 1 filled in switch, the 2-3rds red barrel on the 2 filled in switch, then the fully red one on the last one. It's just the texturing wasn't immediately obvious on the barrels so I missed that tell at first.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stray is delightful but it almost seems like you can't do enough Cat Things. You push a cardboard box from a shelf and then can't go in, what the hell is this. There should be puzzles where you have to keep someone in place by getting on their lap and staying there. You should get achievements for meowing incessantly in front of a door and then not going out.

I gave Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice a shot recently and bounced off pretty hard in a way that felt very familiar, and then it hit me: God of War. What is it with Norse themed games and having the super close up, tight over-the-shoulder perspective plus visceral-but-wonky combat?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Stray for some reason is making my partner nauseous, which almost never happens (only other game was Outer Wilds), which sucks cause she's loving the game but has to take breaks to play it.

Also another thing dragging it down - I can't play it because she's totally loves the game and I don't want to interrupt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stray does eventually introduce cardboard boxes you can jump into and there is a trophy for jumping onto a table that two bots are playing a game on. also the way you get one item is by meowing at someone in order to distract them in the middle of doing something.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's a bunch of random cat stuff I did only for it to be relevant later.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taeke posted:

random cat stuff

Helpful when leaving a room

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I took a random detour into Divinity 2 (yes the "fixed" Developer's Cut version) and boy is it a mess.

The writing is...a choice. The core of the game's story is very, very boilerplate cliche fantasy fodder (with maybe 1-2 minor twists so far that didn't get much room to breathe) but then it's all wrapped in a cling film layer of Larian's trademark wacky unseriousness. And it just doesn't work 99% of the time. I think they're maybe going for "D&D session where the DM is taking everything as seriously as possible while the players are goofing off" but the game isn't built around that kind of dichotomy. It's extremely variable as well, there's plenty of NPCs with your standard 4-5 informative dialogue options, and a mix of your usual "do you act diplomatic or like an angry dickhead" A/B choices that infested 2000s RPGs, but a lot of the time you get something like this:

*Villager runs to you, clearly terrified" "Dragon Slayer, you've gotta help me! My wife's gone missing! I can't find her anywhere!"
1) Alright, just calm down. Tell me where you saw her last and maybe we can start getting to the bottom of this.
2) Maybe she ran off with the milkman again? That's gotta hurt below the belt!

Just the most forced, jokey for jokeyness sake type of stuff that makes your character sound like a fuckin' clown. A clown that tries too hard and everybody just barely tolerates. And just like any other RPG akin to this, it's not like the game as a whole is jokey. For everyone one wacky quest there's easily five more bog standard serious fantasy stuff. The one time it landed so far was for a not particularly original but still fun bit where a big evil bad guy proclaimed he despised hearing the name of another character and I had the option to just keep bringing the name up, to the point of chanting it at him, until he frothed with rage over it.

The combat is incredibly weird and janky. Granted, this is an old game with technical woes so some of it might be that I need to force the framerate down, but that won't change the fact it's in this odd transitional state between older clunky MMO-style combat and more modern psuedo-action MMO combat. Think Kingdoms of Amalur but clumsier and worse in just about every facet. Bizarrely, there's a mixed mitigation thing going on where most things are stat driven with very little active choice beyond popping cooldowns, but ranged attacks are still meant to be dodge-rolled. Also feels like there's a classic inverse stat dependency problem where I'm so good at melee that absorbing melee damage isn't really a problem because anything I can hit I can kill fairly fast now that I've edged past the early game difficulty hump (or just crowd control), which has left me with a weakness to range damage that simply can't be shored up as of yet. I do have a charge attack to help close the gap but...that has its own myriad problems. For one, it has an arbitrary minimum distance requirement. For two, it can knock down what I hit with it...said knockdown knocks the target out of melee range. And finally third, ranged AI is designed to automatically flee melee and because of the surrounding jank it's entirely possible to target an archer with the charge attack, then it either lands? or maybe I get knocked out of it and just stop right in front of them? and they immediately run away. Game has no sprint button, btw.

All of the various sub-systems are bizarre. Upon completing quests you always get given a standard sum of XP and gold, then you're told to choose an extra bonus reward (or two, if it's for a really big quest). This was apparently something that was "improved" upon in the re-release, but it still makes zero sense because your reward choices are: A bit more XP (always worth taking), a bit more gold (almost always a piddly amount), a single random potion, a single random piece of gear, and then a wildcard slot that I swear vacillates between a single consumable food/drink item and a piece of clutter junk like a cup or a plate, neither of which would ever be worth taking. :psyduck: This has to be straight up cargo culting some lovely MMO, right? Because it screams lovely MMO.

Alchemy exists...sort of. But it's what I call a "Delayed Gratification Vending Machine" style of system. You come across plants out in the wild and in loot piles, but to actually make potions you need to trudge back to an alchemist, have already found/purchased the correct potion recipes yourself...to then hand in to the alchemist...so that you can then trade in X and Y amounts of a given plant type to receive a potion. This doesn't seem to achieve anything that buying potions from a regular merchant wouldn't already. Though potions are awkwardly uncommon. Not outright rare, but the game has a bit of classic problem of having a spectrum of different potion effects, so even though 99% of the time all I care about is healing and maybe mana recovery, an awful lot of loot ends up being in the form of Potion of 30s of +10 Strength or whatever. Even stranger, in my experience so far the combined HP+MP potions are notably more commonplace than straight healing potions, though still in a tight enough supply that I'm never sufficiently prepared and need to rely on the increasingly piddly regeneration granted by food or my slower still innate HP regen.

Enchanting has a similar thing going on, cashing in recipes and using various resources and such, with the added wrinkle that you can strip effects off of existing gear to add them to your enchanting options. But the effects are tiered by the quality of the equipment you took them from, so getting anything truly notable from the system at a low level is impossible.

One of the game's big gimmicks is Mindreading. You can root around in the thoughts of almost every single NPC at the cost of a variable amount of XP. Generally higher XP cost = more worth doing. The problem is really just that there's a whole odd resource snarl that doesn't quite add up right. So sure, if it costs 100 XP to read someone's mind they probably just have a dumb joke line and no useful information. 500 XP? Now it's more of a coin toss where sometimes the cost just represents them being a more skilled NPC - it's gonna take more XP to mindread your boss than a random peasant, right? and they'll still just give you nothing in return. But other times you'll get a "hint" to a secret (in reality, it enables the secret to exist at all, ala STALKER's cache system) or a password to a magically-locked treasure vault. (The password is almost always something stupid that you probably could've guessed but aren't allowed to, because jokes.) But then the treasure tends to be randomly generated and is almost always some random mix of gold/crafting ingredient/random equipment with maybe the occasional pre-placed set gear. Meanwhile merchants are always 100% worth mindreading because it automatically raises their disposition and lowers their prices and that's just a guaranteed baseline effect, they can give the usual mindread bonus information on top of that. The end result though is that often feels really lame to sacrifice XP for literally nothing of value (at best they might say something "funny"). Even if you do get something, often it's in the form of some hidden goodie cache that you then have to go actually find out in the world - these things aren't marked or tracked in any kind of log that I've noticed. Said cache is probably just the same generic loot you'll find anywhere and everywhere. And then 10% of the time you get something truly significant like a bonus stat or skill point. The game's mostly balanced such that you're not shooting yourself in the foot by just blanket mindreading everyone and not giving a poo poo about the XP costs (and if you're really concerned there's skills that both boost XP gain and decrease mindreading costs) but the system as a whole is not particularly satisfying.

And as a final quirk, lockpicking also exists as a thing...in the loosest, most bolted-on sense. You have a lockpicking skill and there are locked doors and chests. These two things interact with a dead simple stat check, no minigame, but also none of the details are communicated to the player best I can tell. What level is any given chest? Doesn't say, you either have high enough lockpicking to open it freely or you don't. At best some objects will explicitly say they can't be picked at all because they're activated by switches or quest progress or whatever. There's also no crime system, so this is purely just trading skill points now for a vague assemblage of bonus random loot down the road. At least up until your current level of picking is obsoleted and you need to put another point into it. Those bonus treasure hauls you can discover through mindreading? They can sometimes have locked chests in them, making their effective cost both raw XP and one or more skill points.

The structure of the game as a whole amplifies all of these problems. You start in a sleepy village with nothing much going on. This is your tutorial level where the very bare basics of gameplay are established and you pick a preference for one of the three types of character build. You're then taken away to a different sleepy village with nothing much going on, but this time with the beginning intrigue of the plot and a bunch of side quests. That one village serves as your only hub for the entirety of the first open zone. Thankfully, there's fast travel shrines dotted around. The overwhelming bulk of things to do are side quests to get stronger. But the devs like to throw in weird unintended consequences/Choices Matter nonsense that feel arbitrary and frustrating. A simple example being the captain of the guard wants you to befriend an outlaw and infiltrate his bandit group to gather all the necessary intel to mount an assault on their base. Or you can just mindread the guy and get the information instantly. But if you do that, you skip over multiple sub quests that would've given even more rewards. Or a side quest where two people are at odds and clearly somebody is lying. You might think mindreading would solve the problem instantly, but the devs are being dicks and you can't use it to solve the problem, you just have to take one of them on faith and if you assume incorrectly you get permanently penalized by the wronged party. But all of this is a smokescreen. This opening area is basically just an extended tutorial. AFAIK, outside of a small handful of random "this character shows up again later, see YOUR CHOICES MATTERED!!!" moments, nothing that happens actually matters in the grand scheme of things.

This extends to how all the various subsystems are treated. The village doesn't have a centralized cluster of service NPCs. Each individual subsystem is the purview of a specific NPC you have to just stumble across while snooping around the game world. So the village has a secret talking tree that's the one single alchemist you'll find in the area. There's an enchanter out in the boondocks. And there's also another weird bespoke subsystem I haven't mentioned yet: Completely out of nowhere, you can get access to a summonable, customizable necromantic abomination assembled from the randomly dropped parts of different creatures (each part having its own specific stats, natch). :psyduck: This isn't particularly in-theme to anything, it feels like one of those "why not, it's cool?" tacked on ideas.

See, once you do finally tackle the main story...you get swiftly shunted away from the starting zone entirely for a new area. Hope you finished all of those dangling side quests! Of course, if you did, the NPC in your head will have chastised you after each and every one for wasting time on things that aren't the main quest. The area you get punted to culminates in you getting your own actual hub with a clutch of personalized vendor/crafting NPCs, centered in one place. Even manually gathering resources to make use of them becomes largely pointless because you can send minions out on missions to get them for you. It's nearly a borderline genre shift. It's like if Overlord had you play 8~ hours of a bog standard action RPG and then suddenly introduced the entire minion gimmick outta nowhere. Hell, I outright haven't gotten to the other big gimmick of the game, which is transforming into a dragon and doing attack runs on flying fortresses!

Separately from all of that, there's also just been a solid layer of 2000s RPG jank. Quests that need to be resolved by doing non-obvious things. Unmarked side quests that also need to be resolved by doing non-obvious things. Both that lead to rewards or benefits of dubious purpose. Best example being, if you absolutely scour all four corners of the initial region, you can find four mysterious scrolls. Using them from your inventory gets you a narrated bit of dialogue about how you can read the words, but don't know their meaning. If you then bring them to an imp that's hanging around near the front door to the big story quest area, and who otherwise basically just exists for this purpose and one other side quest, he will translate them for you. The translation turns out to be a bit of a riddle, but he translates further down to the actual answer. The answer is the name of the weird wizard that keeps popping up as part of another unmarked side quest. His name is the password to a handful of teleport points you've come across. Come across as you've mapped out the entire region and unlocked the completely unrelated main fast travel nodes. But don't worry, those nodes let you pick your destination from a menu and are marked on the map! These special teleporters...aren't marked at all and teleport you in a fixed linear sequence and also there's all of like three of them. Why is the game like this? :negative:

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Assassin's Creed Odyssey: The Fate of Atlantis: I adore the main game, but this DLC seems dedicated to finding new ways to make gameplay a chore.
  • New enemies that sap your Adrenaline, i.e. the thing that powers all your special abilities and makes the combat actually fun.
  • Highly vertical terrain, often separated by rivers, that makes traversal a nightmare. The quickest way to your destination may be hundreds of meters longer since you have to find the one bridge and/or teleporter that will allow you to avoid slow-rear end swimming or slow-rear end climbing. Sometimes there is no bridge or teleporter.
  • Obstacles that are obviously climbable but the game has decided they are not. This is a game where one of the first things you can do is free climb Zeus' dick, but some random box a foot taller than your character is insurmountable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Atlantis was the point when I decided I was done with the game. Like, Elysium was neat, Hades was weird but fine, but by Atlantis I was just done with the whole thing, especially since the idea of this being a simulation made everything feel quite pointless and that fact was really getting tiresome by this point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I liked a lot of stuff in that DLC but yeah, between annoying mechanics and bad level design for some of those areas, I was wearing down by the end. Not to mention that it was already a long game before adding that stuff on, one of the downsides of even the good AssCreeds is how easy it is to burn yourself out after long enough.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

2house2fly posted:

There was a splinter cell keypad where you can look at it with thermal vision and the keys are shown slightly less warm in the order they were pressed, that was pretty novel

I think Apollo Justice (one of the Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright games) did this, but with fingerprint powder to get a safe's code.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Read After Burning posted:

I think Apollo Justice (one of the Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright games) did this, but with fingerprint powder to get a safe's code.

Speaking of Ace Attorney games, yeah, I hate the Investigation sessions.
I mean, I know you need to investigate to get the clues and all that, but it's so boring, especially when you're on a first playthrough and can't speed up the text.

The Ace Attorney/Professor Layton crossover did it right, I think, having you do a Layton puzzle in order to get the evidence you needed, instead of having to point and click everything in the room.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

the_steve posted:

Speaking of Ace Attorney games, yeah, I hate the Investigation sessions.
I mean, I know you need to investigate to get the clues and all that, but it's so boring, especially when you're on a first playthrough and can't speed up the text.

The Ace Attorney/Professor Layton crossover did it right, I think, having you do a Layton puzzle in order to get the evidence you needed, instead of having to point and click everything in the room.

I think all the most readily available versions of the older games in the series (AA1-3 on like everything, AA4’s 3DS port) let you skip text, and the others have it by default so that’s been fixed at least.

Speaking of, I kinda dislike that there’s no option between “press A to progress the dialogue and possibly press it too much and miss dialogue” and “let it slowly crawl on the screen”. Like, I assume it’s not as much of a problem in the original language where each character is an entire syllable but a text speed slider would be nice because the text speed varies a lot based on context/character so it’s a neat feature of the series, just kinda janky in its current localized form.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
After catching a screening of Star Trek II I was tempted to dip back into Star Trek Online, which I hadn't played in a while.

First off the interface is still kind of a disaster with 800 things popping off when you log in. Quests just sort of pop up whenever you're at whatever rank to qualify for them, so you often feel you don't have much control over what you're doing (though obviously you can decline and seek out other quests.) It's quite unstable, and many of the classic designs and costumes are locked behind their real money system (you can grind the special currency but it gets harder and harder as time goes on.) But never mind all that.

I'm gonna talk about the inventory system. You have 72 slots, which is a lot, sorta. But like all MMOs it fills up quickly with stuff you're not sure you need or you're not sure you should already be using, because the game's various mechanics aren't very well explained. Your inventory contains personal gear, ship gear, currency for seasonal events, pet summons, consumables of various kinds, vouchers for new officers, vouchers for duty officers, it's a mess. Hard to organize. And places to sell your stuff are far between.

And let's talk about personal gear. On ground missions you have your Away Team crew which you can customize to your heart's content, and you give them weapons and shields and armor as well so they can fight alongside you. Except, here's the thing, early on crew gear starts to be gated behind rank, with the good stuff only being usable by Commanders, then Captains, then so on. So you have to promote your Bridge Crew as far as you can so they keep up. This honestly just bugs me from a flavor perspective, it feels off.

Basically there's a lot of fidgeting about with gear and equipping items and so on and it gets in the way of playing space dress up. I still don't know what half this poo poo does and I'm up to Vice Admiral on two characters.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Last Celebration posted:

I think all the most readily available versions of the older games in the series (AA1-3 on like everything, AA4’s 3DS port) let you skip text, and the others have it by default so that’s been fixed at least.

Speaking of, I kinda dislike that there’s no option between “press A to progress the dialogue and possibly press it too much and miss dialogue” and “let it slowly crawl on the screen”. Like, I assume it’s not as much of a problem in the original language where each character is an entire syllable but a text speed slider would be nice because the text speed varies a lot based on context/character so it’s a neat feature of the series, just kinda janky in its current localized form.

Most visual novel style games get around this by logging all the text so you can always press a button to go back and reread. Sometimes it’s just a few dozen lines, sometimes it’s basically everything so far in the chapter. Unfortunately I don’t think the PW games have that feature

As for skipping text, I do appreciate that some games have a whole variety of ways to do that, including going through the text at turbo speed (sometimes with different speed settings) or just skipping completely through a segment you’ve already read to go to the next one. And then some have an “auto” function which is usually slower than clicking at your own pace but handy if you’re eating or working on something else at the same time

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Jul 21, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Kirby forgotten land is amazing but I hate that there isn't a way to speed up dialogue boxes. Its driving me mad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Most visual novel style games get around this by logging all the text so you can always press a button to go back and reread. Sometimes it’s just a few dozen lines, sometimes it’s basically everything so far in the chapter. Unfortunately I don’t think the PW games have that feature

As for skipping text, I do appreciate that some games have a whole variety of ways to do that, including going through the text at turbo speed (sometimes with different speed settings) or just skipping completely through a segment you’ve already read to go to the next one. And then some have an “auto” function which is usually slower than clicking at your own pace but handy if you’re eating or working on something else at the same time

the 3DS games have a text log which I definitely used, but I get why it’d be hard to backport those into ports of DS games that were themselves originally GBA titles without top to bottom remaking them, knowing the weird poo poo you hear about why Final Fantasy X lacks cutscene skipping.

And it definitely belongs in the other thread but 13 Sentinels definitely had a feature to tweak the scrolling on the “Auto” setting to reduce/increase the lag in between text boxes for that exact thing you mention, which I really appreciated.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bewilderment posted:

The extra fun fact is that Jindosh becomes alerted to the fact that you're in the level either when you get spotted, or whenever you interact with the mechanical contraptions. Breaking things doesn't count.

This means that (and there's an achievement for it) you can complete the entire level up to killing/dealing with him without ever actually reconfiguring a room or alerting him to the fact that you're around.

(At the start of the level, instead of pushing the obvious button, break a glass ceiling and jump through it; the rest is just an exercise in proceeding from there)

The entire rest of that level exists to do a bunch of sneaking around and stabbing people in order to get given the answer though. You're never forced to actually do the puzzle unless you want to skip it.

There's also a ludicrous speedrun option where you pull the level and blink through all the moving machinary and can get to the end in literally 30 seconds. Technically spoilers, but it's incomprehensible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLTkTW4PsH0

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Little thing dragging Last Call BBS down:

I'm too stupid to even understand what I'm supposed to do in the food court and chip mini games. I enjoyed solitaire a lot at least.

Other option: Why is there no dungeons and diagrams game for my phone, this owns so hard

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Morpheus posted:

Stray for some reason is making my partner nauseous, which almost never happens (only other game was Outer Wilds), which sucks cause she's loving the game but has to take breaks to play it.

Also another thing dragging it down - I can't play it because she's totally loves the game and I don't want to interrupt.

Does it have motion smoothing or something in that vein? Doom '16 made me nauseous and when I turned that off it was fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Those defluxor segments don't add anything to Stray

The robots are cool, the weird biohorror is... borderline, but I don't think anyone bought the cute cat game hoping for some good old hectic gunplay with cooldowns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It almost seems like the monster stuff is going to lead somewhere but then once you're out of that area it never comes up again. Except for the very end of the game showing that the monsters all die when exposed to sunlight.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Maxwell Lord posted:

And places to sell your stuff are far between.

There's a replicator option in your inventory at all times that allows you to sell anything.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
DLC coming out half a decade after the base game is bringing down Cuphead for me right now. I'm out of practice and getting absolutely destroyed by these shooty cartoons

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I started playing Barotrauma with a friend and it's a pretty neat game, with a few weird issues. My biggest complaint is one specific enemy which feels so overtuned it's out of place. As far as we've made it, we've met four enemy types: Crawlers, which are tiny little deep one looking dudes who slap their faces against your submarine and try to get in. They're real squishy and die easily. Hammerheads, which are giant armored slabs of meat that shield other monsters and just ram your sub, knocking you off course, off aim and crack your hull. Needlers, which are tiny fast little dudes that have a limited number of natural projectiles that tear tiny holes through your hull real easily and can be nasty if you get hit.

Then there's the Mud Raptor. Mud Raptors are fast and swift, like the needler, armored like the hammerhead, actively seek out and attack your submarine with the intent to get inside and kill the crew like the crawler, but they rip through the hull with as much ease as the needler projectiles do, and flood your sub with giant holes so it becomes harder than ever to fight them because of how the water pushes you around. Also it takes like six handgun shots to the face to kill them. Your handgun holds six shots, their face is small and they flail around, the rest of their body is heavily armored. Also they bite you and pin you, once they do that you can't fight back. Oh, and they travel in packs. I've never seen less than three, but usually upwards of five. I've seen these loving things as early as the first mission of the game. It's awful, and one of these can end a mission on their own if you encounter it before you're geared for it and they're stronger than anything else in the early game. Hell, they're stronger than everything else in the early game put together at the same time fought in large swarms.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Mud raptors are best dealt with by the SMG or shotgun, most subs have one or the other in the captain's secure weapons cabinet by default. Technically they are best dealt with with a syringe gun filled with raptorbane as that ruins their poo poo in a big hurry, but that's not easy to get access to. The revolver is simply inadequate for anything larger than a crawler. It's not even good at killing other humans!

The harpoon gun is also a strong choice because it deals a lot of damage from a good range and the harpoons are all recoverable and dirt cheap to boot. Almost every sub has one or two in its diving/airlock cabinet

Eventually you can get access to fancier weapons like the captain's Hand Cannon, or security's assault rifle, or if a medic has the Combat Medic perk then dual wielding diving knives even works really well on them, or a crowbar equipped electrical engineer with a PUCS suit.

If all else fails you can load your syringe gun (I'm pretty sure medics start with one) with whatever is in the medicine cabinet and overdose them on fentanyl, cyanide or chloral hydrate

I'm pretty sure they are reasonably vulnerable to stun batons and stun guns as well which can allow you or a friend to get up in their business with a couple knives

Also they are not super fast swimmers so if you see them coming you can just hit the bricks and/or kite them so that your coilgun can pick them apart before they get to the hull. Bonus points if you have a guy with a welder waiting on the other side to make sure they can't actually get in

Something that isn't necessarily obvious to newer players of Barotrauma is that if you don't want to fight something you can turn off your sonar and engines and just let it go away (before it is really angry at you, anyway). Make sure you tell your crew to stop running as well since some monsters can hear that. This works particularly well on the enormous monsters later on

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Jul 22, 2022

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Barotrauma is just janky enough that my group bounced off it.

It’s a shame, the concept is great.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The second half of Returnal is kind of "bleh" so far.

I've made it to the fifth biome once (well, to be fair I could make it there more often if I just ran straight to it on other runs, but I'm trying to upgrade my gun and health) because even though you start biome four with a slightly better pistol than at the start in the first biome...it still sucks. And sucks more, proportionally, to the new enemies you face than at the start of the game. The enemies are also MUCH more aggressive. Last night, on one of my runs, the first area I walked in, barely made it a step from the door, and a turret had a bead on me and three little fliers were above me. Dashed to avoid the turret and that put me in range of TWO MORE turrets and spawned another flying guy. And it's taking like a whole clip of the pistol to eliminate each guy.

And then when I finally get to a chest, it's typically a poo poo weapon like the Rotgland Launder or Spitmaw blaster. Those are both TERRIBLE against flying enemies, which are everywhere in the back half of the game, it seems. Just give me the drat carbine. I'll take the pylon thingie as well, or even the Hollowseeker.

Although I do appreciate that the fourth biome gives out ether like candy on Halloween. I no longer really have to fret over using it to "cleanse" a health upgrade or chest, cause I know I'll get more back soon enough.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
After beating DMC1, I have reached DMC2, which it turns out is a great demonstration of why a proper level of difficulty is important for a game. Because honestly, almost every individual part of the game (except for maybe the world design) is an improvement, but the fact they made it so much easier makes it all fall apart.

What's the point of the ranking system if none of the enemies live long enough to get higher ranks? What's the point of the extensive movelist if no enemy is complicated enough to make it worth using? What's the point of a streamlined dodge move if there's nothing to dodge?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Rune Factory 5 it seems rain doesn't happen at the start of the day, usually I water at the start of the day so this leads to me wasting my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

In Rune Factory 5 it seems rain doesn't happen at the start of the day, usually I water at the start of the day so this leads to me wasting my time.

Rain is weirdly random in 5. I'm pretty sure it can happen in the morning, but also sometimes you can just stare at the rain falling on your crops and watch as half of them just never get rained on for the whole rear end day.