Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a thread or opinions here about home automation?

I'd love to have voice activated stuff that isn't connected to the internet and not always listening.

Like a little fob I could carry and was only active when you press a button.

Or even blinds you can schedule and poo poo like that.

It is a plague upon humanity which should be outlawed and all the component parts burned in effigy.

However if you want to be :wrong: with friends: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tezer posted:

panasonic NE-1054F

You can turn off beeps, bunch of preset time buttons, no rotating plate makes it easier to clean.

I hate panasonic since you can't just press "Start" like every other manufacturer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

H110Hawk posted:

It is a plague upon humanity which should be outlawed and all the component parts burned in effigy.

However if you want to be :wrong: with friends: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I agree, actually. I'm specifically looking for low-tech options that aren't tied to a goddamn Amazon Echo or whatever.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m into the idea of home automation in theory but when I think of it as yet another avenue for my kids to grief me, it really tempers my enthusiasm.

I have some coworkers who are deeply into it but they either have no kids or are aging empty nesters :thunk:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hell, I'd settle for a thermostat that kicks on the furnace or the AC when appropriate, instead of making me switch manually.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I’m into the idea of home automation in theory but when I think of it as yet another avenue for my kids to grief me, it really tempers my enthusiasm.

I have some coworkers who are deeply into it but they either have no kids or are aging empty nesters :thunk:

Having no kids is awesome, can confirm.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

BonerGhost posted:

Having no kids is awesome, can confirm.

I don't have kids, a wife, or many friends, so I can set up my home just how I like

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I agree, actually. I'm specifically looking for low-tech options that aren't tied to a goddamn Amazon Echo or whatever.

There are fully offline solutions. And thermostats that autoselect AC vs Heat are widely available. My minisplit does it out of the box, no thermostat needed. Set a target temp, set auto, and when it gets like 7 degrees away from target it switches modes. (I forget the specifics I never use it, it's in the manual though.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Don’t all thermostats made in the last 30+ years have an “auto” or “heat/cool” mode?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Pretty sure you can get a 7-day programmable thermostat that has an "auto" mode that switches between both heat and cool for less than $100 and has zero connectivity.

As someone who loves home automation stuff, if your only motive is to never touch the thermostat again, this is by far your best and easiest solution.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a thread or opinions here about home automation?

I'd love to have voice activated stuff that isn't connected to the internet and not always listening.

Like a little fob I could carry and was only active when you press a button.

Or even blinds you can schedule and poo poo like that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

A lot of us in that thread (including me) don't have out home automation touching the internet in any meaningful way and everything works fine without internet other than like, weather forecasts and stuff.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

BonerGhost posted:

It's very cute. I really like that accent wall, is it paper or tile? And where did you get those standing mats, I only ever see the ugly solid colored ones.

The accent wall is actual tile. Although, we did use adhesive mats to attach them. I'm kind of 50/50 on whether I prefer it over tile adhesive for this kind of application. On the one hand, a lot less mess. On the other hand, they are a lot less tolerant to unevenness in the work surface. Usually you can work around it by double stacking the adhesive material. Basically, stick a piece to the tile and that will help make up the unevenness and stick it to the mat on the wall.
It is just standard grout.

As far as the mats, my wife found those and they are fantastic :)
I think she found them on Amazon, but I'll have to double check.
I might kick off a thread for this since there was a request for some before pictures.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Don’t all thermostats made in the last 30+ years have an “auto” or “heat/cool” mode?

Most do, but on mine it was an option that is factory set to disabled and was supposed to be turned on by the installer if both AC and Heat appliances were connected. They forgot, so I had to dig into the back end options to enable it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a pair of gophers living underneath my garage. Is there a strong preference towards either killing or trapping/transporting?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Create a TikTok account for them

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

what are their names

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Use them to predict the weather

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Adopt one of those 4,000 beagles that need homes so it can flush the gophers out and run them off, but only if they are actively destroying your crops or something and can't stay.

I don't have any gophers but I do have a possum that sometimes gets into our basement or kitchen and his name is Dickweed. If he gets inside I lure him out with tuna or cat food.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got a pair of gophers living underneath my garage. Is there a strong preference towards either killing or trapping/transporting?

Don't do anything involving flammable liquids or gasses & an ignition source. It won't end well for any of the involved parties.

Are they damaging anything?

My son & daughter-in-law had a groundhog trying to den under the left side of their concrete monolithic front steps. Hole big enough to lose a volleyball in next to some impressive earthworks. I waited until he/she was out & filled it with a few hundred pounds of chipped stone. Try digging through that, motherfucker.

So s/he went round the right side & started in over there.

Bags of rocks are heavy.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Don't do anything involving flammable liquids or gasses & an ignition source. It won't end well for any of the involved parties.

Are they damaging anything?

My son & daughter-in-law had a groundhog trying to den under the left side of their concrete monolithic front steps. Hole big enough to lose a volleyball in next to some impressive earthworks. I waited until he/she was out & filled it with a few hundred pounds of chipped stone. Try digging through that, motherfucker.

So s/he went round the right side & started in over there.

Bags of rocks are heavy.

Fire? I hadn't even thought of that, but since you suggest it...

Aside from the foundation of the garage, I haven't noticed anything, but I also haven't gotten around to walking through that part of the yard to examine it yet. I'd just as soon leave them, since they're cute, but what I've read of their destructive capabilities doesn't inspire confidence in that idea. Combine that with the fact that there was one gopher last year in my neighbor's yard, and there's now three between us, and that leaves me thinking that leaving them alone is not a wise idea.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mold remediation question

I have a couple of metal ducts above my air supply closet that have crappy insulation wrapping them. They're pretty short, and connect to flexible ducts that seem well insulated and otherwise fine.

The ducts running from the top of the closet to the flex ducts are like a foot long, but they're sweating and leaking condensate. Not good! I wouldn't have even known without following a trail of acrobats ants I saw, who came in through the attic vents and seemed to congregate around a bit of moisture dropping from one duct on top of another.

It seems the extent of the sweating has been primarily landing on some layers of loose insulation, and on a board. I got a rake up there, moved a bunch of poo poo around, and it looks like there's a little bit of mold on one of the wood beams that's directly beneath the drip, but I don't see anything else on any of the other beams. Immediately below the beam (from the inside on the ground floor) is a pristine looking drywall ceiling that I beat on, felt, poked, and it passed the idiot test. The rest of the attic looks fine and is well ventilated.

I go to search about mold remediation and get photos of teardowns, abandoned houses, the dangers to my health, etc. Am I fool to think that I can just buy some rmr141 and rmr86 and treat this bit of wood myself? I'm getting the hvac folks out here to fix the moisture issue. Just looking for a sanity check, "mold" makes me panic

it's probably been sweating like this since may. i dont think much is getting through the insulation, aside from the aforementioned wooden board

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 21, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I would just remove the affected materials, fix the problem, and install new. Wear a mask while you work.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

biceps crimes posted:

I go to search about mold remediation and get photos of teardowns, abandoned houses, the dangers to my health, etc. Am I fool to think that I can just buy some rmr141 and rmr86 and treat this bit of wood myself? I'm getting the hvac folks out here to fix the moisture issue. Just looking for a sanity check, "mold" makes me panic
You're fine, no need to panic. Treat the mold, get everything dried out, and life goes on. I don't mean to sound too dismissive, but there's a reason the EPA doesn't have any mandatory protocols for dealing with mold like they do with asbestos or lead. You're breathing in mold spores every second of every day. Mold testing in your home for example just compares mold spore counts in your air to the mold spores outside, because no house has a zero count of mold spores.

All those spores constantly floating around need dark, water, and organic material to grow. You gave it that, it grew. Stop giving it that, clean it up, and you're fine.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Hey Guys,

I have to replace about 6 windows in my house I know not very much about windows at all, I don't really have a great budget, I also have to replace siding so I have to get this done at the same time. I live in the North East so I do know I want them to be energy efficient in terms of keeping the the heat in and cold out. I looked around and it seems like I want and Anderson window 100 series with low-e glass with heatlock® coating. am I close on these in terms of this being a window with good retention of heat in the winter? Are there other options I should look at?

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 21, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

biceps crimes posted:

Mold remediation question

Spray everything with Lysol & move on.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I got my siding and windows replaced a few weeks ago on my 1991 builder house. They tore off this cheap wood-product siding that was rotten around the base from the previous owner not having gutters and water splashing up against it. Then they installed 1/2" foam sheeting, a Tyvek wrap, and 8" (I think) hardie planks. I also opted for some black Andersen 100 "fibrex" windows, that at least aesthetically I really like.

The first photo makes it look a lot worse than the siding was since as they pulled off trim it ripped the existing paint, but it was still pretty ugly to me. I'm regretting now that I didn't buy some insulation batting and insulate the walls of the garage while they were doing this, but it didn't even cross my mind until it was too late.

I'm also annoyed that they rested their ladders against the gutters in a few spots which bent the angle of the gutter down. We've been in a pretty bad drought, but we did get some rain shortly after the construction was done and the water over the back door was running right over it instead of into the gutter which is pretty annoying. I need to call the contractor back to get them to fix it or reimburse me if I have to call some gutter installer to repair it.

I opted to do a cedar siding around the entryway, and I will be lime washing the small amount of brick I have if the weather ever cools down.

Edit: Also, still waiting on the new door which will replace the entire front entryway opening. Who knows how many more weeks/months that's going to take.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 21, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Windows and siding look dope.

For the gutters, your siding installers probably should have used a standoff thing (the name escapes me) but also the gutters shouldn't have bent.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love the humble brag kitchen pic randomly thrown in.

but that’s ok because that kitchen looks freakin’ amazing. siding/bricks look great too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MetaJew posted:

I got my siding and windows replaced a few weeks ago on my 1991 builder house.

Backsplash window is very cool. Kitchen is sleek.

Siding and gutters and trim look great too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NomNomNom posted:

Windows and siding look dope.

For the gutters, your siding installers probably should have used a standoff thing (the name escapes me) but also the gutters shouldn't have bent.

I mean I know I've seen people rest ladders against gutters before, but the standoff is the "correct" way to rest a ladder against a roof with gutters, I thought.

Either way, I had the gutters installed when I bought the house and they were definitely more level prior to these guys working. Now they are tilted down so that water just seems to spill over the gutter guard and run down the side of the gutter. I suppose I could go and try to bend the gutter back up, but I don't know if that's the correct way to fix the issue or if the hangers have to be replaced.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Backsplash window is very cool. Kitchen is sleek.

Siding and gutters and trim look great too.

BonoMan posted:

I love the humble brag kitchen pic randomly thrown in.

but that’s ok because that kitchen looks freakin’ amazing. siding/bricks look great too.

Guess I should've included the "before" when I finished remodeling my kitchen. I am a little annoyed that they used a remodel/flangeless window when they did these windows in particular because I lost some of the sill depth, and I liked having some little succulents or other plants on the sill of the long window. Oh well. Looks very nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really dig the asthetic of that kitchen.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks y'all!

I won't spam the thread with the same photos over and over but I think I posted more photos of the kitchen remodel in here. I'm mostly very happy with it. The only real annoyance is that the physical space was like 1 ft too narrow to use install either in-wall ovens or an additional tall cabinet to store cleaning supplies and other hardware adjacent to the pantry, which is to the right of the fridge.

This house is completely lacking in storage space so the next few projects are to build or commission some built in cabinets and book shelves for the living room, and hire out or DIY some closet organizer systems for the bedrooms. I don't know the first thing about designing either so if anyone can lend some advice if I provide measurements or floorplans I would really appreciate it.

I need to go back and find the poster who limewashed their brick. It looks pretty easy to do. I don't know if I want to try to do the manually distressed look or just completely cover it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hey all - I’m having my insulation replaced today and the guy said I don’t have any attic roof vents and is offering to install them while they are up there. Price is coming in, but how necessary is this?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ It's a good idea. As long as it's done right and the cost is reasonable, I don't see a downside.

So I really like our kitchen, BUT, it drives me a little nuts that the builder didn't put a light over the sink. When doing work at the sink in the evening, it's just not as bright as I'd like it. That one potlight is about 3' away from where I would like it.

Obviously I'm not going to move the light, but I'm not against adding one. I assume there is a truss/beam (2 storey) that the junction box for the existing lights are attached to (pendants and pot are all in a line), so how hard would it be to put another one in 3' closer to the wall?

I'm knowledgeable enough to be dangerous (I've install switches, including timers and done a couple outlets in an unfinished basement) so the wiring itself doesn't really scare me... or should it?

Alternatively, any other ideas? Already have under cabinet lighting which just isn't enough for the purpose of what I'd like.

Pic of my cluttered kitchen to see what I'm talking about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

slidebite posted:

^^ It's a good idea. As long as it's done right and the cost is reasonable, I don't see a downside.

So I really like our kitchen, BUT, it drives me a little nuts that the builder didn't put a light over the sink. When doing work at the sink in the evening, it's just not as bright as I'd like it. That one potlight is about 3' away from where I would like it.

Obviously I'm not going to move the light, but I'm not against adding one. I assume there is a truss/beam (2 storey) that the junction box for the existing lights are attached to (pendants and pot are all in a line), so how hard would it be to put another one in 3' closer to the wall?

I'm knowledgeable enough to be dangerous (I've install switches, including timers and done a couple outlets in an unfinished basement) so the wiring itself doesn't really scare me... or should it?

Alternatively, any other ideas? Already have under cabinet lighting which just isn't enough for the purpose of what I'd like.

Remodel can lights are very easy to install. I've probably done 50+ now between my house, my brother's, my mom's, and my in-laws.

Take a stud finder and see if there is anything in the way over the sink. Then get I your attic and try to see how much clearance you have from the roof. ( I am assuming you're in a one story house. Ive never done lights in a two story so take that into account for the advice I'm providing.)

If everything is clear, buy a remodel can light, take your hole saw and cut out the ceiling opening, run Romex to the existing light which should have an attached jbox, or add in a jbox to make the splice, and wire it all up. One light in a one story house shouldn't take more than an hour of you're being extra careful and it's your very first time.

It helps if you have two people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

There are LED puck can lights that don't require a box that will fit even if you have a joist directly in the way (they are drywall depth). The only hard part is going to be pulling an existing light down and figuring out how to drill through joists in whatever direction you need to in order to get a piece of romex to the location for the new light (I'm assuming you're just going to make it part of that light string and not try to make it on it's own switch).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would drop down that recessed light & its box closest to the sink, & see/feel around up there to determine the run direction of the floor joists above. You should be able to reach up in there with a spade bit & an extension (if there is a joist blocking your way) & drill a hole through for a wire, if necessary.

If you're lucky, & that is an open chase, it would be a fairly straightforward matter of wiring to the existing can & running it to a another location over the sink.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Inner Light posted:

I don't have kids, a wife, or many friends, so I can set up my home just how I like

big same

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Very jealous of people with square, large kitchens.

Mine is a galley with tons of cabinets and good counter space but there's no place to put an island or separate work space.

It makes baking a massive hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

$250 a piece for roof box vents - reasonable? They are recommending 4 for about 1000 square feet.