Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the White House:-

“haha let’s see China try to make 7 nm chips after we sanction them!”

*China quickly and easily makes major breakthrough and makes 7 nm chips*

“ ah. well… nevertheless..”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

genericnick posted:

Abe was sealing the covid spirit

covid kami

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
God, can you imagine having an economy centered on solving problems. It's literally unimaginable to me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

the henan depositors (mostly) knew it wasn’t legit, that’s why they have to protest in person. because in China popular unrest is an actual reason to do something even if WELL ACTUALLY you fail means testing for government support

i guess an American would be more likely to shoot up the bank than protest it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If an american's life was destroyed by a bank, they'd shoot up an elementary school, not the bank.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Fundamental to america's national mythos is that you are never more powerful than when you make a lot of people really upset. As a result, our stochastic violence is mainly focused on doing the most hosed up poo poo possible.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Trying to reenact the cool bank scene from Heat but ironically can't because all your money's stolen by the bank so you can't afford the equipment

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fortaleza posted:

Trying to reenact the cool bank scene from Heat but ironically can't because all your money's stolen by the bank so you can't afford the equipment

Using a Payday 2 drill on the bank vault and all that comes out is a puff of dust and 2 dead flies.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Everything about the Henan bank protests makes sense. Like dude ran a scam on whole buncha folks. The folks who got scammed are mad and want their money. It's not even a question of if they'll get their money, it's a question of if the chinese federal or local government is going to cover the bill. But that doesn't matter to the folks who got scammed because they want blood and their money back NOW. I genuinely dig how even the western slanted portrayals that are trying their damnedest to make this into Tienamen Square 2: Financial Boogaloo can't excise the parts where people are saying they "are fighting to get their deposits" which is the real dangerous idea that hasn't crossed over to the west.

Compare and contrast to the sad discord and reddit posts westerners make when their crypto exchanges freeze withdrawls. They just roll over while robots take their money and run.

like lmao if you steal 200k from me you BETTER have a tank inbetween us if you know what's good for you.
coinbase and one of those big crypto sites that are currently tits up fraudulently portrayed themselves to the layman as having fdic insured deposits for their customers

(yes coinbase does have lionel hutz style wording but it should really be regarded as fraudulent advertising)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

If an american's life was destroyed by a bank, they'd shoot up an elementary school, not the bank.

there was that one guy from Texas who tried doing a spree shooting at a bank, only to get shot to death by a security guard in the parking lot.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

THS2 posted:

western and western-friendly political and economic analysis of the current crisis and general trend of china’s rise completely relies on the idea that no one except americans are capable of innovation and quick ingenuity to solve a sudden major problems - no one else can do a “moon shot” (something that the US itself is not capable of anymore, at all). even a country with as many systemic failings as russia has run counter to every expectation and is rejiggering its economy to make up for a severe disruption in their previous trade relations, much to the shock of those who expected sanctions to pressure them into compliance

the decline of the US in an even more drastic fashion is coming much sooner than any traditional analysis is capable of fully articulating

the national myths of the US completely blind it from making a coherent analysis. and there is also plenty of non-US analysis from people who still believe in the US myths because it was the ideology and common sense assumption for so many decades. a lot of farts were huffed and projections are being made from this masturbation. this leads to shock and surprise when these expectations are defied, even when they are defied over and over again. there is no room for accounting for the new order because the consequences for accepting it are unacceptable and unthinkable to the empire. you’ll also lose your academic, writing or consulting job and take a severe credibility hit for accurate analysis

unfortunately i dont think the US and its allies will get the message until the consequences from the delusions of their western liberal “rules based” empire produce very dire consequences in the imperial core. this is already happening and it will accelerate while the empire blindly falls from crisis to crisis unable to seriously grapple with any problem because the starting assumptions are completely fictional
dick wolff has remarked with somewhat kinder rhetoric that his colleagues in academia might as well be white supremacist nationalists with the way they frame china's technological and economic achievements as primitive skullduggery

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

there’s a lot of issues with Falling Down but the fact that the Not Economically Viable black guy peacefully protesting the bank got arrested right away while the Jokerfied defense contractor got to go on a shooting spree all day till anyone bothered to confront him is pretty accurate

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ChollimaOrg/status/1550102359539437568

not a semiconductor guy but apparently this is a picture of smic's 7nm chip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's just a trick of perspective

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Now what will China invade Taiwan over? The vibes?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Danann posted:

ahh, naruhodo~

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Not being turned into an unsinkable carrier is good and the chief reason why they will still invade if the US keeps trying to gently caress with everyone

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Finally got around to watching RRR a couple days after the new Thor movie and holy poo poo Kevin Feige should be thrown into a supermax prison. RRR is maximum cinema, I wish I saw it in theater.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

looks... uhh... complicated

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

High end semiconductor was never that important to the world anyway. The world still runs if TSMC disappear tomorrow. Americans just need an excuse to convince the Taiwanese "No, you guys are really that special, ten times more special than Ukraine....we will totally come to rescue you when poo poo hits the fans."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

This is definitely 7nm

I can tell from the pixels

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Antonymous posted:

there was some online super hero game that had those exact 3 genders

"at least three" - joe biden

So when he said "listen up fat" it was the equivalent of "listen up man"?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have a theory that from longer view, the west simply can't do manufacturing as well as East Asians.

Semiconductor fabbing ultimately is more of a manufacturing job than a software job. So once the production hub moved to Asia, it will stay there and stick no matter how much US throw money at it. And the US is not throwing that much money at it anyway.

I listen to a one hour interview of the TSMC founder (who led a very interesting life, he went to US during Chinese Civil war, and worked for TI) He basically said building more fabs in the US doesn't make economic sense and is not going to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgTLx93vyrU

gradenko_2000 posted:

fabs are sort of like in a catch-22 because A. you need a spot that's very geologically stable so that tremors don't spoil the extremely sensitive processes that you're doing, but B. they also need lots of water

and those two things don't exactly intersect in very many places

Taiwan isn't exactly geologically stable.

Weka has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Jul 22, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gorman Thomas posted:

Finally got around to watching RRR a couple days after the new Thor movie and holy poo poo Kevin Feige should be thrown into a supermax prison. RRR is maximum cinema, I wish I saw it in theater.

:hai:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

fixing bordergore

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

In Training posted:

It's just a trick of perspective

it's actually a satellite image of the enormous super-prison in xinjiang with a two million prisoner capacity (currently full)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1550146410879651840

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TsarKastik/status/1550082490567630849

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1550221126231437312?cxt=HHwWgMClhdT5voMrAAAA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

Fake news, that is clearly a satellite picture of a soviet microdistrict.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Danann posted:

wow it’s a bunch of black boxes on a green rectangle big whoop

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it’s a chip. try eating it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Danann posted:

that's a picture of a bunch of chips on a board

wonder if automotive is going to second source from SMIC, that'll be interesting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1550349837937229824?s=20&t=zPnTx3cCHhn6Pl9Y0_4JwA

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

looks like we’re chip outta luck

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mirello posted:

in a just world, this would be the title of the d&d china thread

speaking of i reported you in that thread just now. hope you understand.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that's a picture of a bunch of chips on a board

wonder if automotive is going to second source from SMIC, that'll be interesting

automotive manufacturers generally use older chips (like ivy-bridge era) and haven't really changed from that design since then, despite chip manufacturers shouting at them to do so. This is primarily because you don't really need to downsize in a car so there's no real economic reason to do so plus you know the chips won't fail because you have billions of hours of real world performance data on them. I'm sure that heat production is also a consideration tbh since it can get hot in a car

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

comedyblissoption posted:

dick wolff has remarked with somewhat kinder rhetoric that his colleagues in academia might as well be white supremacist nationalists with the way they frame china's technological and economic achievements as primitive skullduggery

There's a complete and utter failure in Western decision making to see non-western foreigners as people.

It seeps into our media narratives and infects plenty of regular people as well. When discussing geopolitics with my friends, when they get too overly abstract discussing "Russia" or "China" or things like that I regularly feel compelled to break down the abstractions and make things as concrete as possible to drive home the point that these others are people exactly like them, with very similar needs and desires, and when presented with problems will use their mental faculties and material options to work towards a solution.

It's difficult to even get them to accept that the average Chinese person is not some poor horribly oppressed victim of their government only to be pitied, but actually reasonably content with their life and generally supportive of their government. Certainly more supportive of their own government and its interests than a random Western government or its interests.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Orange Devil posted:

There's a complete and utter failure in Western decision making to see non-western foreigners as people.

It seeps into our media narratives and infects plenty of regular people as well. When discussing geopolitics with my friends, when they get too overly abstract discussing "Russia" or "China" or things like that I regularly feel compelled to break down the abstractions and make things as concrete as possible to drive home the point that these others are people exactly like them, with very similar needs and desires, and when presented with problems will use their mental faculties and material options to work towards a solution.

It's difficult to even get them to accept that the average Chinese person is not some poor horribly oppressed victim of their government only to be pitied, but actually reasonably content with their life and generally supportive of their government. Certainly more supportive of their own government and its interests than a random Western government or its interests.

i can’t even get other americans who live in china to do this. good luck getting someone far away to

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China is "not inventive" (or non-west when you think about it) if you are only looking at this from the "name every new idea with my own name/patent/copyright/intellectual property" is a private property point of view. The Chinese people, or people in the non white civilizations have been plenty innovative throughout the history. It's just that other civilizations don't consider technical ideas should be protected.

In an alternate earth, where the American continents is closer to Asia than Europe physically and was never colonized by the Europeans. And the Europeans have never come dominated the globe during the industrial era, it's entirely possible that the idea of intellectual property doesn't exist and people just compete on their manufacturing skill and hard working ethic. Let's hope the world go back to only compete on trade secret and all scientific ideas and especially all medical innovations are shared freely online in 200 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Speaking of, has Sinopharm shared the manufacturing specs for its covid vaccine?