Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 4, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Kieth should be Miles ahead but the , erm, *checks notes* Tories being absolutely loving useless and presiding over a shitshow is holding him back!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/22/labour-tory-leadership-keir-starmer-conservative

Tragic. After all the horrible things Kweith has done people simply refuse to talk about him.

Burned down the labour party for the insurance only to realize he'd forgotten to take the policy out in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

peanut- posted:

That column seems pretty reasonable tbh

Scholz is "centre left" the exact way Starmer is, right down to enthusiastic student Marxism and papers cheering his victory as a sign of the death of the left within his nominally leftwing party

This is making me deeply suspicious of the rest of those words

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

1965917 posted:

Burned down the labour party for the insurance only to realize he'd forgotten to take the policy out in the first place.

Lmao

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The press ignoring Keith's trip to Berlin has meant some really top grade photo content hasn't had the circulation it deserves

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

peanut- posted:

The press ignoring Keith's trip to Berlin has meant some really top grade photo content hasn't had the circulation it deserves

Do you reckon he had to buy a polo shirt for the photo or do we think Keir actually owns like, normal clothes?
Tbh I struggle to conceptualise Keir Starmer relaxing, or even existing in a non-work capacity at all, really.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

Do you reckon he had to buy a polo shirt for the photo or do we think Keir actually owns like, normal clothes?
Tbh I struggle to conceptualise Keir Starmer relaxing, or even existing in a non-work capacity at all, really.

Not just any polo shirt, a £140 Stone Island polo shirt! Going for that English football casual vibe, I guess?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Owlkill posted:

Not just any polo shirt, a £140 Stone Island polo shirt! Going for that English football casual vibe, I guess?

He looks like the kind of person banned from going abroad for football games.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Woo, got my IWGB members card. Feels good to be a member of an organisation that might actually help change things for the better again.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

OzyMandrill posted:

Brexit was a years long project to sink the pound and profit from it. The harder the brexit, the lower the pound, the more money they made.
Everything, petrol prices, the increasing cost, is due to the pound being hilariously low (<1.2 dollars now!) but as this was the whole point (and how they are making the fortune from it), then just see how the press avoids actually mentioning it at all.

This sounds very believable and interesting.

Could you point me to any articles showing how they're profiting? Know JRM's oval office father has a book about profiting from economic collapse, but I don't know the specifics.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Owlkill posted:

I mean, he has the coke habit down. Probably.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

peanut- posted:

Can't tell whether he's trying to do a steely eyed glare or if it's just the sun in his face

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

lol Kate Middleton is trending on Twitter because she demanded Meghan Markle wear tights to her own wedding and was surprised and extremely angry when the bridge-to-be told her no, leading to the hashtag #DuchessOfTights

e.g.

https://twitter.com/shae90_shae/status/1550205509269131265

I don't think this is right? And it is of course pretty important to get right. It was her small daughter being allowed to wear tights and Megan said no cos it would spoil the whole bloody wedding.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The gaps between waves are getting shorter and shorter - I think at some point this is just going to be the norm all year round (presumably with, like, 1-in-5 spikes in the winter)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Surprise T Rex posted:

This has already been legally tested and it turns out, even when he has a beer in his hand, it's still work, or feels like it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theonion.com/what-to-know-about-the-european-heat-wave-1849197025

quote:

Q: Is this related to Brexit?
A: No, although it’s taken longer than it used to for UK cargo ships to import the heat from the continent.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Can't tell whether he's trying to do a steely eyed glare or if it's just the sun in his face

It's both. He's trying to intimidate the sun. "wot u lookin at" - Keith Starmer

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Pointless news chat:

https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/kate-middleton-meghan-markle-royal-wedding-argument-tights/

quote:

Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle's Royal Wedding Argument Was Over Tights and Dress Hems, Royal Author Claims
The hashtag #DuchessofTights is trending in the U.K.....

The waters are so muddied at this point that I think it's best none of us draw undue conclusions about what really happened. At the end of the day, only Kate, Meghan and the people who witnessed their argument know what went down.

Women involved in weddings - brides, bridesmaids, mothers, mothers-in-law almost always end up squabbling (unless it's one of those couple + 2 witnesses dragged in from the street type weddings) about dresses and hats and whatnot.

I don't know about men involved in weddings, they seem to carry on as normal, in blissful ignorance, until a week before the wedding when mother/mother-in-law drags them down to Moss Bros or wherever to hire their kilt (why do so many grooms who have never been near Scotland wear kilts at weddings? A thorough-bred Welsh friend of mine did!)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like British Airways staff successfully twisted the arms of the fatcats for a 13% pay rise. They also mention reversing the 10% pay cut from during the pandemic. I'm not sure if that's /0.9 and then *.13 or if it's just the *.13 but still, they seem happy with the outcome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mourning Due posted:

This sounds very believable and interesting.

Could you point me to any articles showing how they're profiting? Know JRM's oval office father has a book about profiting from economic collapse, but I don't know the specifics.

Mogg is on the board of a hedge fund based in Ireland that is known to have invested billions on shorting the pound. I forget the name of it, but there's enough generic terms there to Google it.

E: Somerset Capital, I thought that was it but I wasn't sure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

In my mind he just return to his alcove to recharge like a Borg, or else swap out for one of his replacement heads like Kryten. Some kind of poo poo robot anyway

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know about men involved in weddings, they seem to carry on as normal, in blissful ignorance, until a week before the wedding when mother/mother-in-law drags them down to Moss Bros or wherever to hire their kilt (why do so many grooms who have never been near Scotland wear kilts at weddings? A thorough-bred Welsh friend of mine did!)

Not me, I'm getting sized up for my wedding suit tomorrow, plus I have to organise hotels, transport, flights, DJ, etc. All shittily I might add

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

In my mind he just return to his alcove to recharge like a Borg, or else swap out for one of his replacement heads like Kryten. Some kind of poo poo robot anyway

I read a Will Self story once set in a pub where one of the characters was secretly an alien. Each night it'd leave the pub and return to a house which looked normal from the exterior but which was completely empty inside and the alien would simply stand silently in one of the rooms and wait for the morning, upon which they'd leave the house and resume their character again.

Anyway, I assume Starmer's home life is pretty much like that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I read a Will Self story once

Goondolences

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Kilts as we currently call them were invented in Lancashire. The big Highlander style great kilt is definitely Scottish, but the one everyone thinks of is Northern English.

There, now everyone is shouting about something other than hats.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Surprisingly brave take from an ex-Tory Labour MP with a very poor record on LGBT rights. Can't see how this will win him many friends in either his past or present circles:

https://twitter.com/christian4burys/status/1550041822596141059?s=21&t=reZu5lHxGgss1t9lo0gVVw

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Darth Walrus posted:

Surprisingly brave take from an ex-Tory Labour MP with a very poor record on LGBT rights. Can't see how this will win him many friends in either his past or present circles:

https://twitter.com/christian4burys/status/1550041822596141059?s=21&t=reZu5lHxGgss1t9lo0gVVw

This has broken my brain. I assume he'll be forced to recant it, or it'll turn out to be a joke or something.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

1965917 posted:

Lol I'm stealing this

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MyTransitLondon/status/1550484830441422850

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Caledonian Hotel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Caledonian Hotel

Welcome to the hotel caledonia
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
I'm sorry to inform you that the 2350 service to Glasgow has been cancelled

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Caledonian Hotel

Unsurprisingly there's already a quite famous Caledonian Hotel in Edinburgh, just off the west end of Princes Street (round the corner from where the Edinburgh Gin distillery is). Think it used to belong to one of the pre-consolidation railway companies, the building is actually the old Princes Street station which got shutdown pre-Breeching. Well, part of it is anyway. It's less than a miles walk from Waverley Station so after British Rail was formed it was felt there really didn't need to be 2 big terminuses in Edinburgh. Mind you, Glasgow kept its 2 terminuses & if anything they are even closer together, it's a 10 minute leisurely stroll. Score another for Glasgow over Edinburgh.

Actually I'm pretty sure every town & city & a quarter of the villages in Scotland have a Caley hotel, or at least used to. Inverness used to have one by the river, before my day.

This has been your Scottish hotel history minute, thanks for listening.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Microplastics posted:

Welcome to the hotel caledonia
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
I'm sorry to inform you that the 2350 service to Glasgow has been cancelled

You can check in any time you like
but it'll never leavveeeee

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

"We don't live in a society"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why does Keith dress like the least threatening football casual to ever live?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
football business casual

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The UK media completely ignoring the Forde report is kind of eerie when you compare it to the shrieking hysteria of the Corbyn years, even to a bitter old cynic like me. Bring on Prime Minister Truss, the country thoroughly deserves it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Bring on Prime Minister Truss, the country thoroughly deserves it.

Yes, but it also affects other countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I think it's time to post some facts

TRUSSY IS MORE OF A LEJ THAN ARE BORIS