Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

The 20 year olds of 2010 who pioneered vaping technology in strip malls and parents garages are still alive or dead because of the usual reasons. But mankind has only had like 15 years max of individual dragon clour ripping so it is to early to tell.

the funny thing is we are talking about intellectual property and segued to Vaping

Vaping is a chinese technology that was popular in China about 5 years before it hit western markets. it's chinese culture bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

white male teachers in asia should be presumed awful, though not all of them the bad ones are so bad it's not worth the risk. There's white guys who live there doing business or because their spouse is Chinese/Taiwanese and they want to raise their kids somewhere less hostile so I get that. Generally just avoid australians, english or americans unless they speak really good Chinese. They are just on a long vacation or whatever, they are there for themselves only.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Antonymous posted:

Vaping is a chinese technology that was popular in China about 5 years before it hit western markets. it's chinese culture bro

I'm thinking about the DIY Syringe lipstick dude posted upthread and the dudes who hooked me up with my first ego battery a decade ago in rural Utah. Just... there's so little fundamental difference between those two souls worlds away, united in the rituals involved in maintaining a smoke shop.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Chinese people are more than willing to criticize their government in private. People are typically supportive but not blindly, except maybe on a few big issues like Taiwan.

If you show chinese people an anti-chinese propaganda documentary I've found that they generally agree with it, because they don't see it as threatening them personally.

Like, there's so many documentaries and films that go "china is oppressing minorities, killing babies, enslaving workers" etc and my friends are like "yeah we should be better". they don't sense it's an existential threat to have US films turn the world against them and make them ok to bomb in a hot war - destroy empathy - the actual purpose of those films. The question of "why does the US keep giving awards to films that critize china" doesn't immediately pop out. Does china have a cottage industry of films criticizing india or south africa?

Of course some people get buttmad but that's "patriots" of any country. they just get mad at being criticized

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Antonymous posted:

Like, there's so many documentaries and films that go "china is oppressing minorities, killing babies, enslaving workers" etc and my friends are like "yeah we should be better".

your friends legitimately believe that China is killing babies? the other two examples are obviously ongoing issues (if exaggeratedly phrased) but that one seems hosed

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i mean we kill babies too or at least we used to until those jerks at the supreme court said we couldnt anymore

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
america kills fewer babies relatively speaking. cause we focus on killing elementary school kids over here

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
In China when you gently caress around with baby formula you get executed. In America when you gently caress around with baby formula we all just kinda forget and let you keep your baby killing margins.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Business Basics more like Basic Bitch Business

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

your friends legitimately believe that China is killing babies? the other two examples are obviously ongoing issues (if exaggeratedly phrased) but that one seems hosed

presumably in reference to one child policy era

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

In Training posted:

presumably in reference to one child policy era

late term abortions yeah. the documentary One Child Nation goes into that and asks if there wasn't infanticide too. And then segues into rural families being punished for having large families, and foreigners adopting Chinese orphans.

Somehow the documentary maker scolds everyone in her family for having abortions despite spending the entire documentary showing that this was the best choice

edit: there are a lot of chinese and chinese descended documentary filmmakers who, if they can show something negative about China, can have a career boost. it's highly rewarded

Plastic China - Nominee Grand Jury Prize at Sundance 2016
One Child Nation - Nominated for primetime Emmy, 2020
American Factory - Nominated for oscar 2020
The Exiles - Grand Jury Prize - Sundance 2022
Ascension - Nominated for oscar 2022

and it goes way back before that

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Jul 22, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Antonymous posted:

late term abortions yeah. the documentary One Child Nation goes into that and asks if there wasn't infanticide too.

they consider late abortions baby killing, or do you mean the conjectured infanticide

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

they consider late abortions baby killing, or do you mean the conjectured infanticide

sorry, the documentary opens with a doctor who said she gave abortions where the baby came out crying and she killed it in her hands and that's sorta projected by the documentary to be what "abortion" means in a chinese context. It's blatantly a very politically motivated documentary. I'm just talking about it in the context of, a chinese person will see themselves in the footage and so have empathy but it is actually a 'white gaze' movie in that it was made so to dehumanize chinese people as immoral baby killers.

Like the farewell, an insanely "white gaze" movie that makes no sense if you watch it as a chinese person in china

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

The Exiles - Grand Jury Prize - Sundance 2022

i really hated exiles because it bends over backwards to avoid explaining what the protests were even about the entire premise is just THIS THING HAPPENED WHY DONT WE TALK ABOUT THE THING THAT HAPPENED

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm working on a feature documentary about chinese immigrants who came over to Los Angeles in the 1970s. Basically when china had the cultural revolution, students started to go abroad, and the USA warmed up to china. So I'm watching all of these documentaries as reference and the director, producer, editor are also chinese immigrants.

Anyway our film is from a chinese-born-american perspective, rather than an outsider one, and it's positive and uplifting and I get a sense that the US culture will not tolerate it. China also probably doesn't have a market for it, no one cares about expats.

edit: the actual topic of the documentary is that these 18 or so 60-80 year old women who moved to the USA in the '70s have a dance team and they're winning competitions. "coming of golden age" story

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Jul 22, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Antonymous posted:

sorry, the documentary opens with a doctor who said she gave abortions where the baby came out crying and she killed it in her hands and that's sorta projected by the documentary to be what "abortion" means in a chinese context.

oh ok that makes sense and is extremely upsetting. woof.

Antonymous posted:

I'm working on a feature documentary about chinese immigrants who came over to Los Angeles in the 1970s. Basically when china had the cultural revolution, students started to go abroad, and the USA warmed up to china. So I'm watching all of these documentaries as reference and the director, producer, editor are also chinese immigrants.

Anyway our film is from a chinese-born-american perspective, rather than an outsider one, and it's positive and uplifting and I get a sense that the US culture will not tolerate it. China also probably doesn't have a market for it, no one cares about expats.

drat that sounds interesting. do you have like a kickstarter or any more info

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

we're still doing private fundraising, we've actually been shooting for 8 months and will do another year. If we exhaust all the grants and so on we'll do crowdfunding.

Learning about documentaries, its an insane job. We were in a sundance lab and another team has an amazing film where they followed a honduran family across the US border, all the way finally getting asylum, finding where they will live in the US etc. There's no way, setting out, to know if a family will even make it across the border so it's pretty incredible. and they have $750,000 in debt and got told "we have enough immigration films, and your liabilities mean no one will touch it". I think their total budget was 1.5. psycho poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Antonymous posted:

we're still doing private fundraising, we've actually been shooting for 8 months and will do another year. If we exhaust all the grants and so on we'll do crowdfunding.

Learning about documentaries, its an insane job. We were in a sundance lab and another team has an amazing film where they followed a honduran family across the US border, all the way finally getting asylum, finding where they will live in the US etc. There's no way, setting out, to know if a family will even make it across the border so it's pretty incredible. and they have $750,000 in debt and got told "we have enough immigration films, and your liabilities mean no one will touch it". I think their total budget was 1.5. psycho poo poo

wow that stinks for them. there are so few slam dunk documentary subjects, everything else is crossing your fingers. I guess that’s why so many documentaries start out about something else then realize in the middle of production they found a way better story to tell

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Antonymous posted:

China also probably doesn't have a market for it, no one cares about expats.

The only television show I watched when I went to China was a horrible drama called "my dad came with me on study abroad" and was explicitly about Chinese expats.

They ran a marathon of it.

And my wife watched some super depressing show about expats coming home to bury their parents and feel ennui.

So I guess there's some appetite for content about expats.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

indigi posted:

wow that stinks for them. there are so few slam dunk documentary subjects, everything else is crossing your fingers. I guess that’s why so many documentaries start out about something else then realize in the middle of production they found a way better story to tell

My favorite is Sherpa which turned into a doc on the worker protests on the mountain that happened while they were there filming. Absolutely incredible doc I recommend to everyone. It really shows how loving terrible almost all of the white people involved are

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
vietnamese flag

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

There's a complete and utter failure in Western decision making to see non-western foreigners as people.

It seeps into our media narratives and infects plenty of regular people as well. When discussing geopolitics with my friends, when they get too overly abstract discussing "Russia" or "China" or things like that I regularly feel compelled to break down the abstractions and make things as concrete as possible to drive home the point that these others are people exactly like them, with very similar needs and desires, and when presented with problems will use their mental faculties and material options to work towards a solution.

It's difficult to even get them to accept that the average Chinese person is not some poor horribly oppressed victim of their government only to be pitied, but actually reasonably content with their life and generally supportive of their government. Certainly more supportive of their own government and its interests than a random Western government or its interests.

its not a failure, read Losurdo's Liberalism: A Counter-History

proposing government by supposed universal while keeping 'who counts as people' a moving target to the benefit of the rich is the founding principle of the enlightenment and every western government

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lmao

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Samog posted:

RRR is about as subtle as the battle at lake changjin

RRR is the best anti imperialist shonen ever made

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

all u flags look the same to me

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
RRR takes the "Mel Gibson british bad" genre and the "Snyder retarded comic" genre, hammer them together 10000 times inside an active volcano and turn it into a masterpiece.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The bromance was refreshing as well.

You never see two dudes being supportive best buds in western media like they were in RRR.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont think anyone in the west gets that being friends is a bit more nuanced than one guy is a complete rear end in a top hat and the other one just puts up with it

honestly for all the flak it gets for the other bullshit the thing that bugs me the most about the new trek movies is that none of the characters even like each other original flavor star trek is a great depiction of mature male friendship plus uhura

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait poo poo this isnt the pop culture thread

uhhh which famous names from the three kingdoms era were the most bromantic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

updates on free asia

new database will help American businesses pit people over profit:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/serena-oberstein-07212022183907.html posted:

Interview: ‘You have to put people over profit’

Serena Oberstein discusses the new Uyghur Forced Labor Database her organization created.

The U.S. enacted the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act in December 2021 to strengthen an existing ban on the importation of goods made wholly or in part with forced labor from China’s Xinjiang region. The law, which took effect on June 21, requires U.S. companies that import goods to prove that they have not been manufactured at any stage with Uyghur forced labor.

On Wednesday, Jewish World Watch (JWW), a nonprofit humanitarian organization dedicated to helping survivors of genocide and mass atrocities around the world, launched an online database listing Western companies in the automotive, energy, fashion, food and technology sectors that have been implicated as benefiting from Uyghur forced labor, so concerned consumers can avoid purchasing their products. Serena Oberstein, JWW’s executive director, spoke with RFA Uyghur reporter Nuriman Abdureshid about the Uyghur Forced Labor Database and what the group hopes to accomplish with it. The following interview has been edited for length and clarity.

RFA: What motivated JWW to create the Uyghur Forced Labor Database?

Oberstein: What we’re hearing coming out of East Turkestan [Xinjiang] about Uyghurs being taken in the night, having their heads shaved, being put on trains, and especially the companies that are using Uyghur forced labor, also has direct ties to the Holocaust. I remember mentioning one of them and someone said, ‘Oh, what have they said? Do they know?’ And I said, ‘Yes, they know. They have a factory. They signed a contract with the Chinese Communist Party.’ And they’ve made a public statement where they’ve said that as long as there’s a profit to be made, essentially they’re going to be there. Having this type of database where you can see that companies know exactly what they’re doing or they know where in their supply chain they’re using Uyghur forced labor and have chosen not to stop and chosen to be complicit. It’s really important information for consumers.

RFA: Tell us more about the database.

Oberstein: The Uyghur Forced Labor Database is a project detailing how global companies are complicit in Uyghur forced labor, and it’s the most extensive [database] to date. It brings to light more than 600 national and international companies and their reported links to Uyghur forced labor in the ongoing genocide against the Uyghur people in East Turkestan. We highlight a number of companies by industry, but you can also go in and search if there’s information available. It’s something that we launched in the days immediately after the implementation of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act. What we know is that the [U.S.] entity list that’s being utilized is not extensive enough. Not only do we really want individuals and consumers to use this database to make more ethical decisions about the companies they support, but also we’re really hoping to share this with the U.S. government and that they utilize it and understand that this information is available. We will link to all of the studies and investigative reports that have thoroughly mapped how these companies are complicit in genocide. We hope that first and foremost, it’s an educational tool, but that it becomes a tool that empowers people to stop using products made with Uyghur slaves and by Uyghur slaves.

RFA: Have any companies contacted you about the database?

Oberstein: No, not yet. We just released it Wednesday afternoon, so we definitely haven’t heard from anybody yet. We hope that with the implementation of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act that companies will start to come off of this database and we’ll update people. We want to support companies [in making] more ethical decisions. The purpose of this isn’t to necessarily tell [consumers] not to buy a product; it’s to say that they have an obligation to do the right thing. They have an obligation to be ethical in their decision making, and here is information so that you can make the right decision.

RFA: What do you want to say to companies that have supply chains related to Uyghur forced labor?

Oberstein: We feel like you always have to put people over profit. … When I talk to companies and they say, ‘Well, we don't want to lose our market share in China,’ it’s horrific to me. What about the millions of people who are being interned? What about the people who are dying? What about the children who are growing up without parents who are being ‘reeducated’ and indoctrinated? That’s what we care about. That’s what should be our priority. We worked with someone a few months ago, whose family helped start the Simon Wiesenthal Center, and he had a factory in East Turkestan and went to go visit it a few years ago. When he saw what was happening, he said to himself, ‘I can’t ethically do that,’ and he closed his factory and reopened one in Mexico. So, we know that it’s possible, that you don’t need to rely on forced labor in your supply chain and that you can ethically source your labor. You have to act. You have to put people over profit.

RFA: Is there anything else you want to add?

Oberstein: I hope that people use [the database] and share it with their friends. If people have questions about it, if they think that there is information missing, they should definitely feel free to reach out to us and say, ‘We know this company is doing it.’ We know that there is knowledge of this involved in [a] company that maybe we missed. We would welcome that kind of feedback. We hope that what comes of it is that this is a first step. Now that people have the information, they can start to make educated decisions. But this is [also] so that companies know that we’re watching, and we see what they’re doing, and that we expect more from them.

i wish them good luck.

elite North Korean county officials do self-care, ignore famished masses:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/dangogi-07212022163826.html posted:

Hungry North Koreans bristle as elites feast on expensive dog meat

Food is in short supply and prices continue to rise, but the privileged aren’t feeling the squeeze.

While citizens in North Korea are nearly starving in the face of food price hikes and shortages, the country’s elite are feasting on one of the country’s most expensive delicacies: dog meat.

Meat of any kind is a rarity in the North Korean diet these days, and dog meat costs twice as much as pork. A single bowl of dog meat stew, called dangogi-jang, can cost the same as two kilograms of rice.

After a ban on imports at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic in January 2020, and with harvests failing to yield enough food for the country’s needs, food shortages are widespread, a resident of Chongjin, in the northeastern province of North Hamgyong, told RFA’s Korean Service on condition of anonymity for security reasons.

“Prices for food such as rice, corn and flour keep rising. Residents are frustrated as they suffer, … but high-ranking government officials and the wealthy class, for whom money is not an object, are busy looking for dog meat restaurants and taking care of themselves,” the source said.

Dog meat is not common in the typical diet of either North or South Korea, but it is considered by some to be a summer delicacy with purported virility-enhancing and medicinal properties.

This summer, while the bellies of average citizens in the country of 25 million people rumble, the most popular dog meat restaurants in Chongjin and elsewhere are still bustling with powerful military and ruling party clientele.

“Since last summer, the Kyongsong Dangogi Restaurant has been operating out of a two-story traditional Korean building in Chongjin’s Pohang Square. As the hot days of summer begin, it is buzzing with people who have come for their fill of dog meat,” the source said.

“Kyongsong is the second largest dog meat restaurant in the country next to the Pyongyang Dangogi Restaurant on Tongil Street in Pyongyang. I believe [former leader] Kim Jong Il gave the restaurant its name. He was treated to dog meat stew every time he came to North Hamgyong province, and stayed at a hotel within the Kyongsong restaurant that has a scenic view,” he said.

The source was aware that outside of Korea, dog meat consumption is rare.

“In foreign countries, people don’t eat dog meat, but in our country, dangogi-jang is known for its invigorating effect on the body in summer. There’s even a saying that if you were to spill some of the soup on your foot, it would be like medicine to heal the body,” he said.

“Ordinary residents cannot even dare to eat a bowl of dangogi-jang, no matter how good it is for the body,” the source said. “It is the cheapest dish among the various other dog meat dishes like steak or braised ribs. The stew costs 12,000 won [U.S. $1.70] for a single bowl, about the price of two kilos [4.4 lbs] of rice.”

Besides Kyongsong, there are several other restaurants in Chongjin that serve dog meat dishes, according to the source.

“People in power, such as party officials, prosecutors, social security agents and state security agents do not like to stand out and be seen in public, so they prefer to go to privately run restaurants to eat dog meat rather than public ones,” he said.

A source in the northwestern province of North Pyongan said he believed dangogi-jang helped to heal his sick mother.

“Everyone knows that dog meat is good for your health in the summer. But most residents cannot afford to eat even a single bowl each year,” the second source said.

“There are several restaurants serving dog meat in Uiju county. On July 16, the first of the three hottest days of summer, for the first time in five years, I visited a dog meat restaurant with my mother, who was suffering from a fever and was terribly weak,” he said.

The second source said that there were many elites at the restaurant, including officials of the ruling Korean Workers’ party, agents of the Ministry of State Security and law enforcement officials.

“It took a long time for my mother to eat her bowl of stew because her teeth are weak. So when other customers finished their meal and new customers replaced them, I recognized the faces of several well known Uiju county officials,” said the second source.

“Ordinary residents are angry now because food prices are too high and there is no way to make money,” the source added. “I felt a sense of disappointment when I saw so many people in power who lined up to eat expensive dog meat … without a care about worrying how they would be able to earn a living.”

Dog meat is available at restaurants in both North and South Korea, but the dog meat trade is of questionable legality in the South. A South Korean court ruled in 2018 that killing dogs for their meat was illegal, but the law did not specifically ban selling or eating the meat.

would this happen in a free society? probably not.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

wait poo poo this isnt the pop culture thread

uhhh which famous names from the three kingdoms era were the most bromantic

Peach Garden Bois ez

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

atelier morgan posted:

its not a failure, read Losurdo's Liberalism: A Counter-History

proposing government by supposed universal while keeping 'who counts as people' a moving target to the benefit of the rich is the founding principle of the enlightenment and every western government

It’s a failure in that it is one of the reasons the US empire is collapsing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AskAKorean/status/1550540002257317888

it isnt lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Bring back smoking in hookahs.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ah so the current government wants to reunify and then use the nukes on Japan.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

Bring back smoking in hookahs.

Victims of Erdogan
https://twitter.com/kwasylewsky/status/1534164903145230338

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Marenghi posted:

Is vaping really that much safer than cigarettes?
Wasn't it only in 2019 America had that epidemic of pneumonia from vapes.

That was from vitamin E oil (honeycut) used to cut black market THC vape carts, because it gives the vape juice the same consistency as actual THC carts but is cheap poo poo. It's pretty much the same deal as any adulterated black market drugs. It didn't show up outside of THC vape carts. The whole thing was a wild ride and this article tells the story pretty well https://www.leafly.com/news/health/toxic-vaping-vapi-evali-lung-injury-rise-and-fall-of-vitamin-e-oil-honey-cut

Vapes haven't been around for 50 years to know for sure, but we do generally know the safety of inhaled PG and VG. There's a possibility that there's something wild that everyone just missed and will turn up in decades but it seems very unlikely especially when compared to the known dangers of cigarette smoking. The biggest risk is likely the (already known) cardiovascular impact from nicotine itself, although people who vape generally end up with lower amounts of nicotine floating around in their blood than smokers (absorption of freebase nicotine in vapes is actually low.)

The exception to that is nicotine salts, either from increased absorption or because devices that use nicotine salts are much higher concentration. Juul and stuff are nicotine salt devices. And after October 1st these will be the only legal devices in China, prefilled pods that contain ~25mg of nicotine salts per ml of juice.

Those prefilled pods also make a lot of plastic waste too, and in that "think of the kids" way are gonna appeal to kids a lot more than "big nerd device that takes loving around with" but those are whole other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

HiroProtagonist posted:

wait, really????? expats who only ever interact with expats or something??

i guess i could see that being common but how on earth do you LIVE in china and just fail to grasp general sentiments like overall satisfaction

apparently, it's very easy. you associate mostly with other expats and the type of local person who speaks english really well and want to hang out with the expats who complain about the country all day. and then at work your coworkers are either upper middle class people who complain about taxes or they don't talk about political stuff with you at all. then you can start projecting your office's specific organizational dysfunction onto the entire country ("have you ever noticed how chinese people are always 5 minutes late to meetings?")

and then you run into this and fail to understand the part where even though they have criticism, they are still broadly supportive of the government. so you walk away thinking they totally agree with you and hate the government:

Antonymous posted:

If you show chinese people an anti-chinese propaganda documentary I've found that they generally agree with it, because they don't see it as threatening them personally.

Like, there's so many documentaries and films that go "china is oppressing minorities, killing babies, enslaving workers" etc and my friends are like "yeah we should be better". they don't sense it's an existential threat to have US films turn the world against them and make them ok to bomb in a hot war - destroy empathy - the actual purpose of those films. The question of "why does the US keep giving awards to films that critize china" doesn't immediately pop out.

i recently had an american coworker, who's lived here for 6 years and is married to a chinese woman, tell me that he "feels something under the surface here is very wrong" and "just walking down the street, whenever i see a chinese person, i am filled with hate"