Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fruits of the sea posted:

I forgot that water sieves don’t remove germs :negative:
radiation does, however (for small amounts of germs), making an airlock out of uranium ore and sticking it in a tank or maybe running pipes through it can work according to reddit (I haven't tried this myself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
radiation kills germs pretty well, but water absorbs a lot of radiation so you probably just end up with a weird pattern of germs in your water unless your tank is real small or you fill it with uranium mesh tiles or something

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s a decent amount of chlorine pockets so I’ll make a chlorine room at some point. Thankfully the germy water was dumped in a secondary reservoir. My little idiots did manage to infect the main water supply before I noticed, but the damage wasn’t too bad.

I unwittingly irradiated the construction crew building a wheezewort hydrogen cooler :v: might wait for plastics before I mess with uranium

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Uranium doors will sterilise the tiles around them pretty quick. Just a hood over the pump made from 3 of them should create a clean pocket that the pump draws from, and kill germs faster than they can diffuse. Or a 'grid' in a horizontal tank, pump one side, inflows on the other, so water has to pass between the doors to get out.
Much simpler than chlorine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
On the upside food poisoning seems to be relatively hard to get into your food, unless you're making a lot of food that requires fresh water. Lately though I've taken to using the excess bathroom water to feed bristle blossoms, which keeps everything pretty tidy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I read that bathroom loops shouldn't feed food crops, but I've had one feeding a pair of bog buckets and no food poisoning winds up in the food so far.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Maybe it's an issue if you eat the food raw? Cooking should kill germs

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Has anybody tried out the Diseases Restored mod? I like the idea of diseases that are actually relevant and hospitals that are actually useful, and it comes with a neat new building to clear germs from water. The same authors have reworks for traits and decor too, it all sounds cool but no idea how they play out in practice.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I haven’t had issues with a hydroponic germ water set-up. I can see problems arising if watering from a pitcher pump though, the dupes will probably find some stupid way to spread the germs :downs:

Update: I couldn’t find an oil biome for ages so I spent the time torturously fine-tuning a hydroponic sleetwheat farm so that it never leaves the 0-5 degree range which was way, way harder than I expected.

Now I struck oil, a cool steam vent and magma right next to each other and I don’t have the mental energy to do anything with it after the sleet wheat ordeal. I can get steam turbines, plastics and a refinery all running but every time I look at that spot I just want to go take a nap

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i congratulate you, trying to get hydroponic sleet wheat is a miserable, miserable thing. I got it to kinda work once but now I just let dupes water farm tiles :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I only Pip plant wild Sleet Wheat because everything about farming them seems terrible.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have my sleet wheat farm insulated surrounding a thermonullifier with a therm switch restricting the hydrogen airflow, with a radiant pipe loop and plates to distribute the cold. It works OK.

I've utterly failed at making a usable hot tub multiple times though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I have my sleet wheat farm insulated surrounding a thermonullifier with a therm switch restricting the hydrogen airflow, with a radiant pipe loop and plates to distribute the cold. It works OK.

The trick to making a hot tub is realizing you don't have Arbor trees and then forgetting about it for another 200 cycles.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I had no idea what I was getting into. The solution ended up being placing evenly spaced whezeworts, letting the water temperature equalize in 4 reservoirs and using a liquid valve to drip-feed the water. After controlling for all the other variables, it was “just” a matter of fine-tuning the placement of radiant gas pipes over about 20 cycles. I found natural gas to be better than hydrogen as a cooling medium because the temperature swings were less drastic.

Don’t do any of this.

E:

Bhodi posted:

This is a good idea however my nullifier is currently set up as a combo nat gas plant and refinery cooler

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2022

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I use automation and a big heat sink kept at 2 degrees, to ensure all the water going into the farms is under 3 degrees.

The air coming through that vent isn't cooled, and that heat sink is probably overkill.

If you're fine-tuning the exact amount of radiant pipes and liquid valve settings then I recommend using automation more.

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 22, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Remember, you can just overproduce. You probably have the space and if some of them are stifled occasionally, that's no big deal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
spaking of, since they changed how spoilage works in spaced out, i've moved my production to 100% berry sludge because it never spoils. not as zero effort to set up as bbq ranches since it needs sleet and berries, and not as high quality, but it's worth it imo

especially in spaced out because you can have a full fridge of that poo poo on your colony ship and it'll last like 100 cycles

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I do infinite food storage. That and powerless gas filters are basically to only "exploity" I do on a typical run.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dividertabs posted:

If you're fine-tuning the exact amount of radiant pipes and liquid valve settings then I recommend using automation more.

For whatever reason I was convinced that most of the automation tools needed plastics so I figured I'd try to make it work on its own. Making things too complicated is definitely a bad habit in this kind of game :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
100%

I revisit old maps from time to time and wind up ripping out 90% of the infrastructure. Power is the worst, I used to have generators all over the place. Now one electrolyzer room will power almost everything I need and put me way over on oxygen, even with 12-15 dupes.

I have a copy of the first base I ever rolled and hoooooo nelly is it a trash fire. 200 cycles in, 32 dupes, generators and oxygen producers everywhere. No dirt and basically no food. How I kept the base going even that long is anyone's guess.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

32 dupes :derp:

My first base was a co2-ridden hellhole because I didn’t understand heat management and kept on spamming coal and natural gas plants inside my base to keep up with the power demands of an ever increasing number of thermo regulators.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Fruits of the sea posted:

32 dupes :derp:

My first base was a co2-ridden hellhole because I didn’t understand heat management and kept on spamming coal and natural gas plants inside my base to keep up with the power demands of an ever increasing number of thermo regulators.

yeah I had a similar thing with my first few bases till I realized that conservation of mass and energy is more of a suggestion in this game.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Although there’s a lot of room between “use a magical steam turbine” and “don’t put a natural gas generator right next to your bedroom”.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My favorite fail state was a run I played using rust deoxiders, on one of those maps without algae. I basically ignored the chlorine cloud a hundred cycles, but finally got around to Carbon Skimming. I skimmed enough so that the chlorine lowered down to the mealwood I was farming, and by the time I had noticed, everybody starved.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HolHorsejob posted:

conservation of mass and energy is more of a suggestion in this game.

Is it? I would have said the opposite (repurposing heat vs. just trying to move it)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh jay posted:

My favorite fail state was a run I played using rust deoxiders, on one of those maps without algae. I basically ignored the chlorine cloud a hundred cycles, but finally got around to Carbon Skimming. I skimmed enough so that the chlorine lowered down to the mealwood I was farming, and by the time I had noticed, everybody starved.

But think of how clean it all was

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You know, a robot which moves like a Drecko and just Disinfects would be pretty neat. Give its dock a gas input and have it consume Chlorine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So I needed some steam for a basic rocket. Lacking any better option I filled a room with polluted water and middle middle middle, I now have plenty of steam and 45 tons of steel :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The best thing about the DLC is that steam rockets are no longer mandatory. What a nightmare.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
On my last vanilla map I had one of those 1300C obsidian boulders near space, so I had a free vacuum to dig it all out and store in smart bins made from iron. Then I capped it and filled it with water, and it gave me like 70 launches worth of steam while the rocks cooled off.

I just made a pair of alternating one-bay cargo rockets launching to the first planet ring.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Steam rockets aren't mandatory, but they are pretty good to use for the first few missions.
Anyway, I've started a new game, flipped asteroid start. Only water is a single cool steam vent on the other asteroid, and only early cooling is on the starting asteroid (3xAETNs and 2 cold biomes with wheezes), so what would be the best way to export 'chill' through the teleporter?
Hot water one way, chilled oxygen the other? A loop of p.water?

Eventual aim would be a pre-space sour gas boiler on the other asteroid to generate extra water, but I need to get sustainable out the way first, I think with a lava powered water boiler/power plant using plastic from dreckos. Should be enough stuff on the starting asteroids for that, especially as the small forest biome has a bunch of aluminium for making an working pre-space chiller column

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

OzyMandrill posted:

Steam rockets aren't mandatory, but they are pretty good to use for the first few missions.
Anyway, I've started a new game, flipped asteroid start. Only water is a single cool steam vent on the other asteroid, and only early cooling is on the starting asteroid (3xAETNs and 2 cold biomes with wheezes), so what would be the best way to export 'chill' through the teleporter?
Hot water one way, chilled oxygen the other? A loop of p.water?

Eventual aim would be a pre-space sour gas boiler on the other asteroid to generate extra water, but I need to get sustainable out the way first, I think with a lava powered water boiler/power plant using plastic from dreckos. Should be enough stuff on the starting asteroids for that, especially as the small forest biome has a bunch of aluminium for making an working pre-space chiller column

Moving heat through the teleporter is an odd idea, but I'd probably do hot water going out, ice coming back in.

Honestly though, if you're pushing materials freely both ways through the teleporter and setting up cooling loops, it sounds like you'd be pretty close to setting up a SCST setup

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Panty Saluter posted:

Is it? I would have said the opposite (repurposing heat vs. just trying to move it)

I mean, just as a trivial example: hydrogen generators. You can actually make a small profit in energy by burning the hydrogen that you get from electrolyzing water, and not only that, but you get to keep the oxygen! The combustion of hydrogen also results in precisely nothing. It works as a game system, but not from a physics standpoint.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the biggest direct physics violation is regolith melters where you get a bunch of free heat energy from literally nowhere because of the fact that regolith technically just transforms into an entirely different substance when it melts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I kind of wish there was a toggle or something that completely removed heat deletion. I'm sure it would be an insane amount of work for the devs and not worth it but man I'd love to see what would happen to the simulation if all energy was conserved.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rynoto posted:

I kind of wish there was a toggle or something that completely removed heat deletion. I'm sure it would be an insane amount of work for the devs and not worth it but man I'd love to see what would happen to the simulation if all energy was conserved.

Only if it toggles off heat creation as well. No more lukewarm Dreckos being fed luckwarm mealwood birthing 80 degree Drecklets.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

Moving heat through the teleporter is an odd idea, but I'd probably do hot water going out, ice coming back in.

Honestly though, if you're pushing materials freely both ways through the teleporter and setting up cooling loops, it sounds like you'd be pretty close to setting up a SCST setup

Ooh, ice coming back is a good thought - I have a dupe with mechatronics as a free skill (insta-yoink that dupe, and just deal with bad traits!)
Oxygen gen is possibly an issue on original world. A sulphur geyser means I can do sulphur->sweetle->grubgrub->mud->press, but it takes 3 ranches to get enough for maybe 1.5 dupes of O2. I do have trees and pips on the other planet, so maybe natural trees->ethanol->power (+pwater) and p.dirt->sublimation station->pO2->AETN powered O2 liquifier->clean O2. Don't know the maths but that could be another water free O2 source. Might need the lava powered water cleaner too, but I have 3 AETNs and loads of wheezeworts.
It's an interesting puzzle though. 1 crappy water source, but lots of oil/sulphur and cooling (hydrogen vent on the other asteroid to power the AETN)

Anyway, first issue is algae is running low, so I need to get my cool steam vent->oxygen with no atmo suits, no gold, and the AETN I need to cool the pumps are on the other asteroid. And no farmed plants as I'm over halfway to getting locovore, just to make it more fun.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dirk the Average posted:

I mean, just as a trivial example: hydrogen generators. You can actually make a small profit in energy by burning the hydrogen that you get from electrolyzing water, and not only that, but you get to keep the oxygen! The combustion of hydrogen also results in precisely nothing. It works as a game system, but not from a physics standpoint.

OK, sure, but we have to draw the realism line somewhere :v: I don't think ONI was meant to be a super hardcore simulation, it just uses physics for gameplay mechanics. I mean, the basic premise that you can "print" living things out of goo is far more offensive to biology than any physics violation.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Oni takes a lot of physics shortcuts, even in areas where it is more realistic. Like it models heat transfer through direct contact, but not convection or radiation. So it's fairly realistic when dealing with solid to solid contact and taking into account the thermal conductivity of the two surfaces, but gases and liquids will transfer their heat unrealistically slow because it moves in discrete blocks rather than spreading out and mixing around, and vacuum is a perfect insulator rather than merely a very good one. Ages ago the devs described it as essentially a more complex falling sand game, and I think that's still about the level of physics realism they aspire to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I do wish they had taken convection into account, if only because it's a pretty intuitive mechanic. Although I can see CO2 updrafts being an issue :v: