Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Eddington is such a great character. He and Sisko play off each other so well. I really liked him as a Starfleet officer and was sad when he defected to the loving Maquis, but we would not have gotten his Valjean vs. Javert storyline without it.

Ed: “Ho Ho Benjamin, our little game isn’t quite not afoot for now”
Sisko: “I will eat your children”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eddington is so great as annoying alt-guy. He's into the Marquis in the same way as he could be into being a vegan, or an anti-vaxxer or NFTs, such a good depiction of self-satisfied iconoclast

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Captain Sisko, there is an alien calling himself Neelix requesting passage through the wormhole."

"FIRE THE TORPEDOS. DESTROY THE WORMHOLE."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

No Dignity posted:

Eddington is so great as annoying alt-guy. He's into the Marquis in the same way as he could be into being a vegan, or an anti-vaxxer or NFTs, such a good depiction of self-satisfied iconoclast

Yeah he's only become more relevant with time. The Maquis get a lot of crap, but they're actually a pretty accurate depiction of a legitimate grievance being hijacked by annoying contrarians. And Sisko is the perfect foil for that. Both because he's black, and because in-universe he knows several people who have actually been displaced/oppressed by Cardassians, so he just super does not have time for Eddington's persecution complex.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The Maquis got a raw deal from political borders changing outside of their control

The federation also has zero qualms about relocating people to make things easier for the federation, even if those people's interests weren't represented or ignored

The Maquis and sisko both did what they needed, sisko had the bigger fist. That would have only festered and gotten worse and then made bigger problems with cardassians- who frankly would have killed more over a longer period of time

It is the order of things

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SuperTeeJay posted:

I bet Sisko would lose that contest. He might be able to fire a torpedo at an unfamiliar planet on the view screen, but Janeway can look an innocent man in the eyes as she orders his execution by transporter.

Right, if you push Sisko, you can probably get him to cross the line, whereas you don't even have to push Janeway, she's already across the line and she crossed three other lines she didn't need to cross to get there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also nothing Sisko ever does could be as funny as the Dragon's Tooth incident, that's like an It's Always Sunny plot in space

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SuperTeeJay posted:

I bet Sisko would lose that contest. He might be able to fire a torpedo at an unfamiliar planet on the view screen, but Janeway can look an innocent man in the eyes as she orders his execution by transporter.

Sisko would never have it in him to rob his future self of the technology he traveled back in time to give himself, just because he wanted to use it for an even bigger war crime than breaking the temporal prime directive.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Also nothing Sisko ever does could be as funny as the Dragon's Tooth incident, that's like an It's Always Sunny plot in space

I really enjoyed that episode and wish they had done it as a two parter like it was written.

But the whole "yeah I think we're just going to get going..." ending was hilarious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

Right, if you push Sisko, you can probably get him to cross the line, whereas you don't even have to push Janeway, she's already across the line and she crossed three other lines she didn't need to cross to get there.

Watching Equinox rn and I love it when Janeway goes full Ahab

Also interesting Eddington fact: he was also the lead guy in Krull.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

zoux posted:

Watching Equinox rn and I love it when Janeway goes full Ahab

Also interesting Eddington fact: he was also the lead guy in Krull.

He had such amazing hair in that. :sad:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

davidspackage posted:

This just popped up for me on Youtube and had me laughing like an idiot.

Picard Maneuver Outtakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlNf2wRdcjs

*pop*

lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arivia posted:

Today’s weird Star Trek fact: “The Lights of Zetar” was co-written by Shari Lewis, who is most famous for performing “The Song That Never Ends.”

That's funny because The Lights of Zetar feels like the episode that never ends!! :stat: :wal:

Sash! posted:

It is my belief that the Romulans eventually find out that they went to war with the Dominion because of a Federation false flag operation, then don't tell the Federation about it because they have incredible respect for a move like that.

Comedy option: the Romulans figured it out immediately but, like you said, have incredible respect for it, and decide the Feds can be trusted to actually fully prosecute the war rather than half-assing it.

Worf posted:

The Maquis got a raw deal from political borders changing outside of their control

The federation also has zero qualms about relocating people to make things easier for the federation, even if those people's interests weren't represented or ignored

I guess, but... does that mean inhabited territory can never change jurisdictions as part of a treaty settlement?

It's not like their interests were ignored either - they were offered relocation.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think that the Romulans knew that Sisko was right (after the Dominion wins, they will just turn on the Romulans at their leisure) but they didn't have a good enough excuse (internally) to go to war and there was a fairly large anti-war segment in their Senate preventing any action. That's why Garak played it to perfection, he got rid of the main anti-war guy and manufactured the perfect casus belli to drag them in. The Romulan CIA probably figured it out right away but by then it was too late and the situation played into their hands anyway, so why not just let it ride.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

The Romulan CIA probably figured it out right away but by then it was too late and the situation played into their hands anyway, so why not just let it ride.

If only they'd ever been named, what an oversight!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

If only they'd ever been named, what an oversight!

Ah yes, the Zhat Vash

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Ah yes, the Zhat Vash

:mods:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ah yes, the Zhat Vash

Gesundheit!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Ah yes, the Zhat Vash

They said CIA, not QAnon.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Senator Vreenak probably called home and told them it was a faaaake and they went "aww drat" but when his ship exploded they were like "aww yeah"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Worf posted:

The Maquis and sisko both did what they needed, sisko had the bigger fist. That would have only festered and gotten worse and then made bigger problems with cardassians- who frankly would have killed more over a longer period of time

It is the order of things
Thank you for your insights, Lieutenant Commander. qa'Pla!

BattleMaster posted:

Senator Vreenak probably called home and told them it was a faaaake and they went "aww drat" but when his ship exploded they were like "aww yeah"
I was watching a show the other day where almost exactly this happened. "Oh man, peace is winning out because the authorities are caving? So much for our rebellion. Wait, there's a horrible massacre! YAYYY!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah he's only become more relevant with time. The Maquis get a lot of crap, but they're actually a pretty accurate depiction of a legitimate grievance being hijacked by annoying contrarians. And Sisko is the perfect foil for that. Both because he's black, and because in-universe he knows several people who have actually been displaced/oppressed by Cardassians, so he just super does not have time for Eddington's persecution complex.

It's also great because Sisko is a guy who's a hard-core Federation patriot but also is super into exactly that kind of hard work Eddington talks about- obviously his cooking habit but also stuff like the episode where he builds a Bajoran ship out of wood; plus he's a massive history nerd. He basically is the synthesis of the Federation's utopian promise with the sort of quasi primitivism the Maquis are on about. Also specifically comparing him to the Borg is probably a bad move given what happened to his first wife

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, this was intersting to learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxTJaVsNr1M

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man going from remastered TNG to DS9 is rough.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man going from remastered TNG to DS9 is rough.

Some insane fans have been doing AI up scaling of the dvd releases of DS9 and Voyager. However you have to go delve the dark web or whatever to find them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I noticed that the itunes version of DS9 has more interlacing than the Netflix version.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Wow, Martin Landau ALWAYS looked like an old fish.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jeeves posted:

Some insane fans have been doing AI up scaling of the dvd releases of DS9 and Voyager. However you have to go delve the dark web or whatever to find them.

literally just google "DS9 upscale torrent" it's not even remotely difficult

just fyi

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Snow Cone Capone posted:

DS9 upscale torrent

the upscale torrent: it's the great link but everybody's on coke and talking about the civilizations they've conquered lately

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Help me step founder

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm stuck in the alpha

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Worf posted:

I'm stuck in the alpha

A star citizen's cry for help

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My giant formless rear end is stuck in the Wormhole

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

A star citizen's cry for help

Do the elevators still kill you in Star Citizen?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Is it the elevator or the fact that you just fall into space?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The funny thing with the Romulans in DS9 is that they were initially way more aggressive about containing the Dominion than any of the other major powers. During the third season of DS9, they not only loaned the Federation a cloaking device for reconnaissance missions in the Gamma Quadrant, they also tried to destroy DS9 and collapse the wormhole to contain the Dominion permanently, only to be thwarted by time-jumping O'Brien. They then followed that up by having their security service team up with the Cardassian security services to launch a campaign of preemptive genocide against the Founders, which ended up failing because the whole thing was a Dominion sting operation from the first page. My own dumb headcanon is that these failures weakened the bloc within the Romulan government that wanted to contain the Dominion in their own quadrant, and the Cardassian alliance with the Dominion was their death knell. After a bunch of forced retirements and suicides a new bloc emerged that was more interested in dealing with the Dominion as if it were like any other power. The Dominion then approached this new Romulan government with a tailor-made offer a Romulan nationalist would find impossible to refuse: sit back, do nothing, and the Dominion will destroy the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the two greatest galactopolitical rivals of the Romulan Star Empire for centuries. Now, these Romulan nationalists likely still didn't trust the Dominion, but they probably believed that the Dominion would be so weakened in destroying the other two that the Romulan Empire would still be able to throw its weight around and maintain its sovereignty after a Dominion victory. Naturally this reasoning falls apart once you realize the entire Dominion military (including its soldiers) runs off an endless assembly line, but that's a fact this pro-appeasement Romulan faction may not have known or properly appreciated.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Marshal Radisic posted:

The funny thing with the Romulans in DS9 is that they were initially way more aggressive about containing the Dominion than any of the other major powers. During the third season of DS9, they not only loaned the Federation a cloaking device for reconnaissance missions in the Gamma Quadrant, they also tried to destroy DS9 and collapse the wormhole to contain the Dominion permanently, only to be thwarted by time-jumping O'Brien. They then followed that up by having their security service team up with the Cardassian security services to launch a campaign of preemptive genocide against the Founders, which ended up failing because the whole thing was a Dominion sting operation from the first page. My own dumb headcanon is that these failures weakened the bloc within the Romulan government that wanted to contain the Dominion in their own quadrant, and the Cardassian alliance with the Dominion was their death knell. After a bunch of forced retirements and suicides a new bloc emerged that was more interested in dealing with the Dominion as if it were like any other power. The Dominion then approached this new Romulan government with a tailor-made offer a Romulan nationalist would find impossible to refuse: sit back, do nothing, and the Dominion will destroy the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the two greatest galactopolitical rivals of the Romulan Star Empire for centuries. Now, these Romulan nationalists likely still didn't trust the Dominion, but they probably believed that the Dominion would be so weakened in destroying the other two that the Romulan Empire would still be able to throw its weight around and maintain its sovereignty after a Dominion victory. Naturally this reasoning falls apart once you realize the entire Dominion military (including its soldiers) runs off an endless assembly line, but that's a fact this pro-appeasement Romulan faction may not have known or properly appreciated.

The first time I watched DS9 I spent the middle seasons impatient for the big war to break out, but nowadays I appreciate how it captures the atmosphere of tension, paranoia, and resigned inevitability that can come before a big war breaks out. You see the promise of peace and cooperation between the Alpha Quadrant and Dominion break down incident by incident, and at the end it isn't clear if there was ever a realistic hope for coexistence or if it was just pretense on one or both sides and war was inevitable all along.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nine-gear crow posted:

I am happy to report that literally anything that occupies the same physics grid as you can kill you in Star Citizen! It can happen at any time, and for no reason, but most especially when two player ships come close together and desynch causes the server to think you're both occupying the same space. Like, say, in a PVP scenario, or in a race. You know, all the cases where you would want that to work smoothly.

The thing where elevators would smash into the player character while wall-clipping to their destination, though, I think they claimed they did fix.

(For now.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

I am happy to report that literally anything that occupies the same physics grid as you can kill you in Star Citizen! It can happen at any time, and for no reason, but most especially when two player ships come close together and desynch causes the server to think you're both occupying the same space. Like, say, in a PVP scenario, or in a race. You know, all the cases where you would want that to work smoothly.

The thing where elevators would smash into the player character while wall-clipping to their destination, though, I think they claimed they did fix.

(For now.)

It's hilarious that a problem eve online had solved in 2003 is lostech in the utopian future of Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Randallteal posted:

The first time I watched DS9 I spent the middle seasons impatient for the big war to break out, but nowadays I appreciate how it captures the atmosphere of tension, paranoia, and resigned inevitability that can come before a big war breaks out. You see the promise of peace and cooperation between the Alpha Quadrant and Dominion break down incident by incident, and at the end it isn't clear if there was ever a realistic hope for coexistence or if it was just pretense on one or both sides and war was inevitable all along.
I did a lot of reading about pre- and in-WW2 France for a project recently, and the 'Funny War' was basically that; the prospect of real war was lurking for so long that people got bored and complacent and even dismissive about it whatever was happening elsewhere in Europe, right up until Panzers started crashing through the Ardennes.