Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

oh jay posted:

Now calculate how big and fast his fart was, thanks
The fart wouldn’t need to be nearly as forceful as it only needs to rapidly accelerate ~80kg of human to high speeds but nowhere near relativistic speeds judging from those panels. So just a hell of a fart but no nuclear explosions or light speed poop particles involved, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Loving the discussion about the strength of the serious sneeze. It's amazing content.

oh jay posted:

Now calculate how big and fast his fart was, thanks

:hmmyes:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bisse posted:

The fart wouldn’t need to be nearly as forceful as it only needs to rapidly accelerate ~80kg of human to high speeds but nowhere near relativistic speeds judging from those panels. So just a hell of a fart but no nuclear explosions or light speed poop particles involved, sadly.

But with equal and opposite reactions and all that and a fart having far less mass than a person by several orders of magnitude, would the fart gas have blasted off at light speed?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OutOfContextMex/status/1550545340922621953

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Theoretically, this Garou could beat this Saitama. I had always assumed Saitama was infinitely powerful. Any increase in his strength was just a higher form of infinity. This Garou actually surpassed a past Saitama in strength though. He was even aware of a time-travel method, so if he could use his own technique, he could theoretically actually beat Saitama. So threats to Saitama could actually exist. Not that I think we'll ever see any.

I see this graph as an illustration of Garou's perception, not a direct measurement of their actual power. At any given point, Saitama appears to Garou to be about twice as powerful, no matter how much Garou's power increases. It's kind of like dealing with the speed of light, where no matter how fast you're going, light waves are still going to appear to move at C relative to you. You literally cannot catch up with it. If Garou had gone back in time after getting his cosmic god powers and challenged Saitama before he even joined the Hero Association, the fight would have gone the same way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Devils Affricate posted:

If Garou had gone back in time after getting his cosmic god powers and challenged Saitama before he even joined the Hero Association, the fight would have gone the same way.

Exactly. The answer to the question,"Is Saitama exponentially stronger than everybody else?" is "Yes" regardless of any and all other conditions. :hai:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

I see this graph as an illustration of Garou's perception, not a direct measurement of their actual power. At any given point, Saitama appears to Garou to be about twice as powerful, no matter how much Garou's power increases. It's kind of like dealing with the speed of light, where no matter how fast you're going, light waves are still going to appear to move at C relative to you. You literally cannot catch up with it. If Garou had gone back in time after getting his cosmic god powers and challenged Saitama before he even joined the Hero Association, the fight would have gone the same way.

I prefer to think of it this way as well

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/mUagtWL/1/17/

:shrug: The narration seems pretty clear that his power level is actual increasing, and specifically increasing because of his 'upsurge in emotions', not just Garou's perception of him.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Look at college kid over here with their "reading"

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like the part where the series returned to its roots and the one punch man defeated the baddie guy in one punch

also the part where he farted that was good, i liked the lore callback to the bathtub scene

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I think if Saitama had been in any of these fights pre 'training that made me go bald' he would've been destroyed like Genos.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Personally, I think if Saitama had been in any of these fights pre 'training that made me go bald' he would've been destroyed like Genos.

He wasn't Saitama before he went bald :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

He wasn't Saitama before he went bald :colbert:

He was always Saitama! He just wasn't Caped Baldy/Sensei until he went bald!

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

The idea that his power wasn't already infinite might seem like it came out of left field but it actually matches what we've seen from his training days. He was already inhumanly but not infinitely strong before he became bald

I think the way Saitama's strength is defined - and what his full baldness coincides with - isn't infinite strength, it's being the strongest. Like it says on the "Strongest Hero" title card after he beats Boros in the anime. This was also consistent through the whole fight with Garou

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's been implied before he is always getting stronger too - like the side comic where he beats the VR simulation of himself from the day before and is like 'why would I have any trouble beating myself from yesterday?' to Genos, who's mind is blown by this. To me the implication of the comic is just that the process of him getting massively better every day was compressed and accelerated to getting massively better ever second.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has he tried punching himself. :v

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

He would be too strong to hurt himself by the time the punch landed.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It'd be interesting to read a comic about a onepunchman who didn't have the impossibly durable body of Saitama.

Someone who can just oneshot anything but is still vulnerable to damage

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

It'd be interesting to read a comic about a onepunchman who didn't have the impossibly durable body of Saitama.

Someone who can just oneshot anything but is still vulnerable to damage

That's kinda how My Hero Academia started out but the combination of magic healing powers and typical shonen power creep via training off set it.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Saitama is never punching Gatou at full power, he's intentionally punching him with non-leathal intent. As Garou copies him, Saitama needs to land a punch of additional appropriate power to hurt him again at Garou's new power level.

It's not so much that he is 'growing' in power, he's just using more than he has ever had the need for back on earth, drawing more from the well of his infinite power.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Goffer posted:

Saitama is never punching Gatou at full power, he's intentionally punching him with non-leathal intent. As Garou copies him, Saitama needs to land a punch of additional appropriate power to hurt him again at Garou's new power level.

It's not so much that he is 'growing' in power, he's just using more than he has ever had the need for back on earth, drawing more from the well of his infinite power.

Friggin hate it when the narrator is wrong

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Much like how Garou has been exponentially increasing in power after every major threat he’s faced in this arc, Saitama becomes even more obscenely OP the second he meets someone capable of keeping his attention for more than one punch

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kild posted:

Friggin hate it when the narrator is wrong

What if the story is intentionally misleading you? It happened 15 years ago with :lost: and we must be ever vigilant in case it happens again.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Lol at this thumbnail

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The narration also led me to believe that Saitama was getting stronger during his fight with Garou. Every time Garou used his copy powers to catch up, Saitama would just leave him in the dust again. The SNEEZE was demonstrating that.

I mean, the things the people are saying here would be cooler from a meme perspective, but that's not what was written.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Let's go silly with the whole Saitama growth thing in different direction: this is not the first time this has happened. The dream fight against the subterranean race from the beginning was completely real and the Subterranean King was actually strong enough for Saitama to develop the same time travel powers by the time he defeated him. Because the attack of fully powered subterranean race would destroy 80% of mankind by default, he decided to give up his one shot at challenging fight, used his time travel powers to heavily cripple their strength and then snapped back to the Saitama who was just waking up, thinking the whole thing was a dream. :science:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
To me, this arc and particularly the latter parts of this arc feel as if they were written with online powerscaling debates specifically in mind

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Changing the entire premise of your comic just so a character can beat superman in VSbattles.

Which is funny bc ONE already confirmed Saitama could destroy the entire universe in 2 punches. One in each direction

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Lt. Lizard posted:

Let's go silly with the whole Saitama growth thing in different direction

This is actually the second time Saitama has had to go back in time while naked to prevent Genos from dying and forget some character growth. The first time is too NSFW to describe

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
A Venture Bros style montage of Genos dying in increasingly ridiculous ways and Saitama traveling back in time to undo it

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I think it might have been cool if we never got to see this fight at all. Just have God Garou show up, then naked Saitama shows up out of nowhere and punches him out, fuses with his past self, and we never get an explanation for what the gently caress happened.

But then again, I don't think I want to give up Saitama's Fart Technique for anything so :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

Sometimes I think it might have been cool if we never got to see this fight at all. Just have God Garou show up, then naked Saitama shows up out of nowhere and punches him out, fuses with his past self, and we never get an explanation for what the gently caress happened.

But then again, I don't think I want to give up Saitama's Fart Technique for anything so :shrug:

Yeah it would've ruled if it had been 34 pages looking at all the heroes and Tareo that died from Christian radiation and then Saitama and Garou both came crashing down to Earth. Bonus points if we can't see what's happening because turning the camera to look there would require the cameraman to be alive but he's dead too, so everything's off frame.

I'm sure they're already out there but I can't wait for One Punch Man to inspire other stories like it, and for us to get one where we don't see any action, just people dealing with the aftermath of mountains being inverted and part of the planet being pulled out into space like a needle because someone made a tornado way too strong that it pulled up tectonic plates too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure they're already out there but I can't wait for One Punch Man to inspire other stories like it, and for us to get one where we don't see any action, just people dealing with the aftermath of mountains being inverted and part of the planet being pulled out into space like a needle because someone made a tornado way too strong that it pulled up tectonic plates too.

I've seen some stories like that, to varying degrees. Astro City did it with western comics, being mostly about people who have to deal with that kind of nonsense (like a comicbook writer whose office is attacked by supervillains who are mad about defamation of character, or a guy whose wife was erased from history in a crisis crossover), and Sunred has some of it in chronicling the daily life of a semi-retired sentai hero and the 'evil' organization that opposes him, with actual fights being mostly skipped over as unimportant. Oh, and on an even smaller scale, there's Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues, the Kaiji spin-off about the people making weird gambling games.

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I've seen some stories like that, to varying degrees. Astro City did it with western comics, being mostly about people who have to deal with that kind of nonsense (like a comicbook writer whose office is attacked by supervillains who are mad about defamation of character, or a guy whose wife was erased from history in a crisis crossover), and Sunred has some of it in chronicling the daily life of a semi-retired sentai hero and the 'evil' organization that opposes him, with actual fights being mostly skipped over as unimportant. Oh, and on an even smaller scale, there's Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues, the Kaiji spin-off about the people making weird gambling games.

I think that Sunred is significant precedent for One Punch Man, being a superhero-themed comedy about a hero who greatly outclasses his enemies and is dissatisfied with the absence of a serious challenge.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Lt. Lizard posted:

Let's go silly with the whole Saitama growth thing in different direction: this is not the first time this has happened. The dream fight against the subterranean race from the beginning was completely real and the Subterranean King was actually strong enough for Saitama to develop the same time travel powers by the time he defeated him. Because the attack of fully powered subterranean race would destroy 80% of mankind by default, he decided to give up his one shot at challenging fight, used his time travel powers to heavily cripple their strength and then snapped back to the Saitama who was just waking up, thinking the whole thing was a dream. :science:

Didn't we get a shot underneath the monster association in the manga that showed a room filled with the corpses of the subterranian people?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that Sunred is significant precedent for One Punch Man, being a superhero-themed comedy about a hero who greatly outclasses his enemies and is dissatisfied with the absence of a serious challenge.

god that was a good show

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

He went back in time right as he threw the punch, so Garou got knocked out by something that doesn't exist. King will of course be credited with the win.

Goddamn I hope so. King is the best

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

King's ability to be credited with victory far outweighs Saitama's infinite power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

graham cracker posted:

Didn't we get a shot underneath the monster association in the manga that showed a room filled with the corpses of the subterranian people?

Well yeah, the punchline to the dream was that they were real and also chumps.

I assume they then got offscreen murdered as a quick callback/showing the MA are not the nicest people.