Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Relentless posted:

The hard part is staying alive until you can get it rolling with such a thin deck, because anything NOT part of the chain/free spell/free draws can really slow you down. There's a weird transition point where you have all these spells that you've taken because you needed survivability or didn't have any better options, but now they're in the way of one or two shotting everything and making you take more damage per fight instead of less.

The hardest part is the first boss, with the permanent 'max 4 actions per turn' it can be extremely hard to outpace her healing unless you've gotten lucky with rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Vulpes posted:

The hardest part is the first boss, with the permanent 'max 4 actions per turn' it can be extremely hard to outpace her healing unless you've gotten lucky with rewards.

If you can, kill both your Blocks before you fight her.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
So, apparently there's a talent Stormbringer that lets your chain carry over to the next battle. Game got very easy after that.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

drat Into The Breach is a legit fantastic port so far and it's relatively light on battery on my old S9, which in fairness has a pretty shite battery. UI is fine and fairly intuitive on my smaller 5.8" screen.

Really enjoying it, it's like the perfect mobile game. Does anybody have any Android recommendations similar to Into The Breach? I know that the Trese Brothers have a turn based squad thing, I might try that.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Has anyone picked up the paid expansion for Dawncaster? Does it come after the base game or do you get access to the content right away?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mirror123 posted:

Has anyone picked up the paid expansion for Dawncaster? Does it come after the base game or do you get access to the content right away?

It's just new levels that get shuffled into the game in place of the other acts, as far as I know.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

It's just new levels that get shuffled into the game in place of the other acts, as far as I know.

This is correct

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Correct. You can randomise or choose.

Caduceus is the most mystifying of the basic attacks to me, it just feels so much weaker than the rest.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

so much good stuff.

Took this advice and finished the game first time. Thanks heaps

explosivo posted:

How many levels are in the base game?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Took this advice and finished the game first time. Thanks heaps

How many levels are in the base game?

Grats!

I think there's 7, 6 full levels plus the final boss.

I think the xpac adds 3 more, which you can either play Default maps, all New maps or randomize. They're more interesting but kind of harder?

One of them has a bunch of magic nature culty elves and the level based modifier is they all have a buff on them that prevents them from taking more damage than the buff, and it adds 1 stack each time they take damage. So your first hit only does 1, then 2, then 3, then eventually it doesn't matter too much. It's definitely weaker to stuff like Hunter than Arcanist. One of the demony levels gets swapped out for a demon army, there's a fat demon with a horn that can buff every other monster when you fight it, until you hit a campfire.

It's aight. I spent my free googlebux on it, no regrets there.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Relentless posted:

Grats!

I think there's 7, 6 full levels plus the final boss.

I think the xpac adds 3 more, which you can either play Default maps, all New maps or randomize. They're more interesting but kind of harder?

One of them has a bunch of magic nature culty elves and the level based modifier is they all have a buff on them that prevents them from taking more damage than the buff, and it adds 1 stack each time they take damage. So your first hit only does 1, then 2, then 3, then eventually it doesn't matter too much. It's definitely weaker to stuff like Hunter than Arcanist. One of the demony levels gets swapped out for a demon army, there's a fat demon with a horn that can buff every other monster when you fight it, until you hit a campfire.

It's aight. I spent my free googlebux on it, no regrets there.

Bandit woods is swapped for moon cult forest, spirit bears just totally gently caress up warrior/warmace because they regenerate, gain anger, and restore their spirit damage resistance. UGH. Boss also has a cool gimmick where it starts with barrier, restores 10 barrier per turn while it lasts, and heals for half its barrier each turn. Certain attacks reduce its own barrier until it's gone (then they hit hard). Really fuckin hard for a charm rogue because your rapier pierces the barrier, and it heals faster than you can charm it. Hope you picked some direct damage cards!

Swamp is swapped for demon battlefield, there's an area buff that certain monsters can increment. The buff gives them extra energy per turn and you can reset it by tearing a banner down, which presents itself i think 3 times in the level. I often have to do it three times in a row to make the boss appear because it's barely relevant. Boss is nothing, I think he gains a stacking buff that deals auto damage per turn but he also dies like a bitch.

The Deep gets swapped with a chilly mountain that has debuff like the swamp's poison counter, but it starts you off with the frozen debuff. The boss has a great gimmick where if you play 6 cards in a single turn he heals for 66 and gets some anger. Way better than the 4-daze spider in the first zone because you can play around it or brute force it.

I also used my survey money or play points so it didn't tap my real dollars. It's nice to have some variety to the levels but it would be better if they added some cards or talents from events that were unique to the new zones, like how the bandits can get you some special cards. I can't think of anything from the new zones that actually affected the rest of a run.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

drat Into The Breach is a legit fantastic port so far and it's relatively light on battery on my old S9, which in fairness has a pretty shite battery. UI is fine and fairly intuitive on my smaller 5.8" screen.

Really enjoying it, it's like the perfect mobile game. Does anybody have any Android recommendations similar to Into The Breach? I know that the Trese Brothers have a turn based squad thing, I might try that.

You've probably already tried it if you've been reading the thread, but Slice & Dice has a lot of similarities. Every turn, the enemies broadcast there actions and you have to try to counter them. It's also easy on the battery, plays offline, and resumes exactly where you left off when you suddenly close your phone. It's the other perfect mobile game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The Deep gets swapped with a chilly mountain that has debuff like the swamp's poison counter, but it starts you off with the frozen debuff. The boss has a great gimmick where if you play 6 cards in a single turn he heals for 66 and gets some anger. Way better than the 4-daze spider in the first zone because you can play around it or brute force it.

If you save his daughter earlier in the level, she will also cure the afflictions he puts on you after you play enough actions too. All around a really cool fight mechanically

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

General advice I've learned about Dawncaster. Potions are AWESOME. Transmute from a shrine or the Alchemist will turn any basic cards (Block, Basic Attacks, I think Surges?) into a potion. Sometimes you get the lovely Charm one, but you get armor or health pretty regularly too. If you're not running something super defensive like Knight, a couple of health pots can get you through some tough times.

I'm also starting to see how this game comes together and what other combos can carry you to end game.

For Seeker, if you can pick up Mobility (Talent: Gain 2 Haste when you gain Evasion, immune to Slow) and Guerilla Tactics (Enchantment, reset your evasion whenever you gain Evasion) and fill your attacks up with anything involving Evasion, Ambush, free draws and conjuring you can poo poo out a LOT of damage at once, while being effectively immune to melee attacks. It's one of the builds where you keep and regularly upgrade your basic attacks as they chain ambush/evasion with themselves.

For Knight, armor stacking is actually pretty effective. I kinda regret dipping as far as I did into Divine stuff, they're... fine. But they're mana hungry and have you burying a lot of cards.

I didn't pick it up because I'm avoiding burying cards this run, but I saw the combo that brings Fire Arcanist up and running. There's an Enchantment that increases all damage by the number of cards you've buried this combat. Combust (1 Blue mana) deals 2 damage, summons a Singe card for every damage dealt. Singe inflicts 2 burning, buries a card.

Theoretically you imbue that enchantment, and just go Burn/Firecast, damage ramps up as it keeps burning through things, then you cast Combust and summon a shitload of Singe cards from the increased damage, inflict a shitload of burning and firecast a bunch of free poo poo.

The downside there being, unlike a Chain build, once you've blown your big combo, most of your deck is gone. But you've probably also stacked up 30+ Burn, so you just gotta hang out for a turn or two if they survive.

I do think the devs need to do a balance pass on a lot of the Warrior/Red Mana stuff. Anger is pretty slow to build up, almost everything is mana hungry, a lot of it hurts you on top of being conditional AND costing mana. There's definitely some stinkers in the Blue and Green mana pools, but so many of the red spells are just more expensive for worse effects.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Relentless posted:

I do think the devs need to do a balance pass on a lot of the Warrior/Red Mana stuff. Anger is pretty slow to build up, almost everything is mana hungry, a lot of it hurts you on top of being conditional AND costing mana. There's definitely some stinkers in the Blue and Green mana pools, but so many of the red spells are just more expensive for worse effects.

The self damage is important though for Frenzy. My problem with red builds is getting damaged on my turn for those abilities to kick off.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the red mana/warrior stuff all seemed very risky without much of an upside compared to the blue mana deck that is just always making GBS threads out lightning and one shotting everything easily if you get the right cards. If I had a complaint about the game it is definitely the balance of all the decks. The blue mana deck is fun though, and it's awesome making GBS threads out lightning and one shotting everything easily, so I hope rather than nerf that they make everything else more powerful to compensate. If they do a balance pass at all, that is.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

explosivo posted:

Yeah the red mana/warrior stuff all seemed very risky without much of an upside compared to the blue mana deck that is just always making GBS threads out lightning and one shotting everything easily if you get the right cards. If I had a complaint about the game it is definitely the balance of all the decks. The blue mana deck is fun though, and it's awesome making GBS threads out lightning and one shotting everything easily, so I hope rather than nerf that they make everything else more powerful to compensate. If they do a balance pass at all, that is.

All of these games should be Slice and Dice balancing. "Most builds are fun, every once in a while you get to break the game in humorous and fun ways"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The self damage is important though for Frenzy. My problem with red builds is getting damaged on my turn for those abilities to kick off.

It's just the combination of having to hit all these requirements AND still costing a shitload of mana.

Like, Siphoning Strike. 2 red mana, deals 6 base damage, Frenzy: Gain 10% of your max health, so like... 7 or 8 health? It's not the worst card, but it's expensive and got a whole bunch of conditions attached to it. At least on Knight, I'm rarely in a position to need to drop 2 mana to gain 8 health. If I'm doing it right I'm near full health going into most fights anyway. There's just better things I'd rather drop 2 color specific mana on.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The chaos shrines and/or the ones that let you swap energy costs are good for that. Get a few extra surges or other no cost cards and randomize/swap costs then get rid of the high cost ones at campfires

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The chaos shrines and/or the ones that let you swap energy costs are good for that. Get a few extra surges or other no cost cards and randomize/swap costs then get rid of the high cost ones at campfires

Yeah, but is that the BEST choice for that swap?

There's a bunch of 3 mana cards that are absolutely baller that are better targets. Or blood cast cards.

It's not like there's no great red cards, and maybe I just haven't found it yet, but I haven't found a thing that makes a red mana build REALLY come together the way Mobility on a Seeker or a couple Stormbolts on an Arcanist does.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My best red mana deck was one that had multiple basic attack boosting perks, and I got Stash of Weapons and Unleash Arsenal and made Unleash free with a swap cost. Removed most of the deck so I could just play both of those in a turn and end every basic fight instantly.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Had a warrior/warmace run where I got 3 unleash arsenal (make a basic attack per card in hand for 4 mana), swapped two to be zero mana, and imbued an enchant to get a red mana whenever I deal 10+ damage. Also basic attacks deal +X damage, X=basic attacks made this combat. Oh and I memorized one of the free ones and a free deal 10-15 and draw 2.

Normally making 5 unupgraded basic attacks is kind of trash, but warmace applies brittle per damage dealt, so the first instance on unleash arsenal deals 2, 5, 9, 14, 20 and leaves them with 20 brittle. Once the combo was up and running it was 1-turn kills including the last boss.

Most red cards do indeed suck, but warmace carries completely by itself.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

So, you know the weird Collector gnome that will give you gold/healing based on the rarity of card you give him?

Well, I gave him one of the rare valuable idols that does dazzling.

He gave me Goldstrike, a 1 any mana unique basic attack that deals 20% of your gold worth of damage.

I then got the 500 gold talent.

It's hitting for over 150.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dawncaster has this weird dynamic where it's set up to only reward insane combos and if you're doing anything else - like letting your opponent take more than one turn - you just get wrecked in the late game.

My last run I got my weapon cooldown to where I could use it every turn, and that it upgraded a basic in my deck whenever I used it. I had Assassinate, a card that does triple damage if I play it as the first card in my turn, and upgraded it so I don't discard it at end of turn AND that it does the triple bonus even if it's not the first play of the turn. So near the end of the run I used a shrine to transfer +40 from the basic to the Assassinate and now it just does 120+ whenever is want, it was dumb.

So the game feels like it's only playable if you completely trivialize it, and while it's fun to make big numbers like that, it seems like that's the only goal you're trying to achieve. Doesn't seem to have much longevity once you've done it a few times, and it makes the game more about generating a weird engine than turn by turn in-fight strategy like Slay the Spire, a game I like much better.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Seems like a mobile version of Papers, Please will come soon.

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1550895020861181952

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^Awesome. And in portrait, too.

Farquar posted:

You've probably already tried it if you've been reading the thread, but Slice & Dice has a lot of similarities. Every turn, the enemies broadcast there actions and you have to try to counter them. It's also easy on the battery, plays offline, and resumes exactly where you left off when you suddenly close your phone. It's the other perfect mobile game.

No I haven't tried that, thanks! Definitely going to give it a go once I burn out on ITB.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Seems like a mobile version of Papers, Please will come soon.

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1550895020861181952

That's fantastic. Perfect game for it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Dawncaster has this weird dynamic where it's set up to only reward insane combos and if you're doing anything else - like letting your opponent take more than one turn - you just get wrecked in the late game.

My last run I got my weapon cooldown to where I could use it every turn, and that it upgraded a basic in my deck whenever I used it. I had Assassinate, a card that does triple damage if I play it as the first card in my turn, and upgraded it so I don't discard it at end of turn AND that it does the triple bonus even if it's not the first play of the turn. So near the end of the run I used a shrine to transfer +40 from the basic to the Assassinate and now it just does 120+ whenever is want, it was dumb.

So the game feels like it's only playable if you completely trivialize it, and while it's fun to make big numbers like that, it seems like that's the only goal you're trying to achieve. Doesn't seem to have much longevity once you've done it a few times, and it makes the game more about generating a weird engine than turn by turn in-fight strategy like Slay the Spire, a game I like much better.

Yeah, late game is possible with a 'regular' build but it's hard and things can go south easily.

I just cleared a warmace warrior run after having a better understanding of the game and if anything it's potentially better than chain arcanist but also just less fun?

Basically Warmace inflicts Brittle equal to the damage it's dealt. Brittle disappears at 1 stack per damage taken, and if it's melee damage inflicts 1 more damage.

So your first warmace does 2 damage and inflicts 2 Brittle. The next does 4 and 4. Then the next does 6 and 6, 8 and 8, etc.

The chain breaks if you ever deal melee damage with anything other than a warmace. So ANY red damage cards that aren't getting you more warmaces and mana to cast em can gently caress right off.

Basic attack generation is OKAY. But by end game my warmaces were upgraded to be dealing 25-30 damage each. So for 4 mana I can cast Unleash Arsenal to make a basic attack for each card in my hand. Assume I'm doing well and have 7 cards+ a spare Advance for crit, that's 4+6+8+10+12+14+16+18 = 88 damage.

Or I can drop an Ambush, crit 50 damage from warmace 1, and 25 + 50 from Brittle = 125.

Yeah there's an edge case for fighting the Balor where you prime up 50 Brittle and then drop Unleash Arsenel... but for the most part meh.

It works great, but you end up copying your warmace cards and dropping everything on upgrading your basic attacks. Mana generation, card draw, special shout out to Advance. Battle Vigor to trigger Frenzy for Muscle Memory/Rallying Shout. Seething Anger is okay once you get rolling, but otherwise just ignore most card loot and upgrade basic attacks and almost everything is dead in 2-3 attacks.

Chain Arcanist at least has the "what bullshit can you chain together this turn because Chain resets" and you can build a crazy free spells/free draw combo.

It's still a pretty slick game and has some really neat stuff going for it but so many of the unlocks you get are subpar that I'm not sure it has legs. Still, no regrets on blowing some Google funbux on it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I think you're selling the game short a bit, I've had great runs with divine warrior, charm rogue and corruption Arcadian so far, to name a few. I also thought it was a bit one-dimensional at first but that's just because there's a couple of easy builds ont there so everyone can see the whole game if they want.

You do need a scaling mechanism but there's plenty hiding between shrines, talents and the collector.

This is one of the few games I'm happy I took a peek in the discords for because people post inspiring victory posts there. I'm even considering trying to make caduceus work based on since ideas from there.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 24, 2022

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the performance action seems fun but i dont have the game down enough to really rack the high ones up

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
So the Octopath game comes out next week right? Has anyone played the Beta? If so what’re your thoughts on it so far?

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

So the Octopath game comes out next week right? Has anyone played the Beta? If so what’re your thoughts on it so far?

I found it more tedious and uninterestingly wordy than the full game. It looked good as hell though!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

It launches on Wednesday. I took part in the Beta, and this was my post about it afterwards:

Kheldarn posted:

So after spending a good chunk of time playing the Octopath Traveler Champions Of The Continent Beta, there was something very familiar about it.

It's Another Eden themed to Octopath. It's not 100% the same, but it's very clear that they took the engine for Another Eden and modified it.

It feels very Octopath Traveler, and I enjoy it. I plan to play it when it launches in a few months.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Personally, I love the poo poo out of Octopath but found the mobile game very boring.

Edit: It did not help that I got Triangle Strategy around the same time and am privileged enough to 1) not have kids at home 2) have a job with no oversight so a full-rear end game kind of eclipses phone gaming.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

I think you're selling the game short a bit, I've had great runs with divine warrior, charm rogue and corruption Arcadian so far, to name a few. I also thought it was a bit one-dimensional at first but that's just because there's a couple of easy builds ont there so everyone can see the whole game if they want.

You do need a scaling mechanism but there's plenty hiding between shrines, talents and the collector.

This is one of the few games I'm happy I took a peek in the discords for because people post inspiring victory posts there. I'm even considering trying to make caduceus work based on since ideas from there.

That's fair. I'm still dumping some time into it.

I guess it's really just a problem with so many keywords only synergizing with themselves?

If you're gonna do Chain or Brittle or Charm, better not do ANYTHING else because it'll gently caress it up. If you're gonna Perform, you better be Performing HARD.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, something weird just happened, figured I'd bring it up. But first, a confession...

So, we've all seen the Evony ads. Not just the 'CUM PLAY MLORD!', but the maddening simple puzzles involving removing the right barrier in the right order. A couple months ago, I thought "ok, gently caress it, I'll try the drat thing", but after downloading and installing it, I barely got through the opening (which included an ad!), when I realized "wait this is stupid, I don't want this garbage." So, and I can't stress this enough, I uninstalled.

Fast forward to today, I got a notification that the play store had 20+ updates for apps. So, I went to install them, and lo and behold, Evony was on the list! I was shocked, so I cancelled that download, and went into my app drawer to uninstall it, thinking 'I must've forgotten to uninstall it before...'

But it wasn't there. Not under E, not under any letter. It just wasn't there. So I went back to the play store, checked for the 'available updates' and it's loving listed there.

This bullshit 'game' that wasn't even on my phone in the first place (today) was about to download 300mb.... for.... what?!

So, I removed it permanently from the Play store's list of games I've downloaded in the past. Hopefully that fixes whatever the gently caress this is, but yeah, heads up, bullshit apps and games might try and reinstall themselves again. Going to go and check my permissions now just to be sure it's completely gone.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 1, 2022

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Did you check in the all-apps menu from settings instead of the app drawer - it's possible they do something sleazy that leaves a library APK installed in the background that doesn't show in the app drawer.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
It's extremely surprising to me that boobs that don't exist in that game don't perform as well as not-very-fun puzzles that don't exist in that game.

What's even more hilarious is that their ads directly claiming those puzzles are the game perform extremely well, given they're not in the game (in any meaningful form; they might have put one in there somewhere).

I hate it.

I also hate that I know why they get away with the deceptive ads. It's because the game is free. Since the game is free, the ad doesn't directly lead to a sale. By the time you get to a sale, you will be more informed about what the game is. So you don't have grounds about the deceptive ad misinforming you about what you bought. Because by the time you buy, you already must have better firsthand knowledge about what you're buying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

norp posted:

Did you check in the all-apps menu from settings instead of the app drawer - it's possible they do something sleazy that leaves a library APK installed in the background that doesn't show in the app drawer.

I just did, and it's not there.

I think I've finally exorcised the demon from my phone but I'm half expecting it to show up next month, asking me to come play mlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Chiming in with more Dawncaster for the dumbest run I've ever had. Talents made it so any upgrades were tripled, got a legendary card to fetch a basic attack then upgrade it, talent to reduce all basic attacks by 1 energy, shrine of levity to make a +30ish warmace free.

Then the talent "double the upgrades on a card and add 1 white energy cost". But what it really means is "give a card upgrades equal to its current upgrades", which my other talents then tripled. Say hello to memorized +174 warmace and his best friend, memorized Advance. Every fight opens with a 443 damage critical hit (also had 3 vulnerable automatically). Killed a 1400 hp summoned balor on turn 1.

Had three doomed warrior runs in a row before this madness took off. Highly recommend upping the difficulty for anyone finding the game too easy on normal.