Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eXXon posted:

WSJ, two odd weeks ago: US discarding tens of millions of unused vaccine doses.

WSJ, the other day: the CDC wants to approve second booster for all adults, but the FDA is resisting.

The first bolded bit is slightly infuriating to read, whereas the second bit is the only salient argument against distributing second boosters now... but I still don't quite get it. I don't recall seeing anything suggesting that getting the first booster would be worse in any way than the alternative of doing nothing, besides the small risk of side effects. Some abstracts I skimmed suggest that infection with a variant provides the best protection against subsequent reinfection with the same variant - at least for a month or two afterwards - but that's not the actual dilemma!

What's being presented in the article isn't a choice between boosters and nothing, it's a potential choice between standard boosters now or omicron boosters in a month or two.

If an omicron booster is just around the corner, it's not ridiculous to wait for that. Giving everyone an omicron booster in September or October might very well be better than giving everyone a standard booster in August and then waiting till next year to get them omicron boosters.

I AM GRANDO posted:

What chance do we have of actually getting omicron-targeted boosters by October? That’s only two months from now. It took me like six months from when the original booster was released to actually find an available appointment for one.

The reason the decision is being delayed is because the FDA has asked manufacturers that exact question and is waiting for a reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Main Paineframe posted:

What's being presented in the article isn't a choice between boosters and nothing, it's a potential choice between standard boosters now or omicron boosters in a month or two.

If an omicron booster is just around the corner, it's not ridiculous to wait for that. Giving everyone an omicron booster in September or October might very well be better than giving everyone a standard booster in August and then waiting till next year to get them omicron boosters.

The reason the decision is being delayed is because the FDA has asked manufacturers that exact question and is waiting for a reply.

Based on everything so far, I have to imagine that the Omicron boosters will be gatekept hard as hell for at least the first several months anyway. And I'm skeptical that they'll end up hitting these September/October timelines anyway, though I'd love to be wrong.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Koos Group posted:

I realize I made this probe in error. At first it seemed as though freebooter was not acknowledging that there were rest stops near other cyclists, but now I realize he was talking specifically about the stretches of the cycling where they were on the road and jetz0r was still wearing a mask.

I was talking about the cycling itself, yes, but I also think wearing a mask at an outdoor rest stop is excessive. Wearing a mask outdoors anywhere - except, I dunno, maybe a mosh pit at a music festival - is a safety blanket thing rather than a considered, reasonable decision.

I say that as someone who had to make a deliberate effort to stop washing/alcohol rubbing my delivered groceries in late 2020 after it had become clear that surface transmission was mostly non-existent and, more importantly, after Australia returned to COVID-zero and there was therefore a 0% chance I could contract COVID from my groceries or from anything else. I still found it hard to stop because it had become a safety blanket thing; a psychological habit that was making me feel better in the moment but was not healthy in the long-term.

It is OK for these psychological tics to have developed; it would be extremely weird after the traumatic events of the past two years if they hadn't! But it's better for them to be engaged with and challenged, not accepted at face value.

jetz0r posted:

He invented a position that (in his mind) would not require masks, then assumed that was my situation. My local cycling infrastructure is good and popular, so there are plenty of other cyclists and runners around. As i mentioned in my post, it can be difficult for me to find sections clear of other people to take my mask off while riding. Additionally, the nature of road cycling with other road cyclist around involves a lot of impromptu drafting and pace lining with unknown people. I have no control over a paceline passing us, and being able to join those pacelines is an enjoyable part of the sport. Since I have no interest in breathing in the air from the dozens or hundreds of people that we pass or get passed by on our rides, we wear appropriate protective equipment to prevent catching covid from that shared air.

You said 75 miles and wildfires so I assumed you were out in the glorious west in the Sierra Nevada or something.

But even if you're in a cycle lane on the outskirts of a big city, sharing air with a paceline while cycling at speed is literally the most ventilated environment a person could possibly be in, and your risk of catching COVID in that situation is virtually nil. You are more likely to be hit and killed by a truck. Even putting death aside, you are more likely (assuming you're fully vaxxed) to suffer bad life-altering injuries simply from coming off your bike or having a minor encounter with a car or another cyclist than you are to both contract COVID and have a bad outcome from it, while cycling.

If it masking while cycling makes you feel better in spite of the cons you listed, go ahead and more power to you because it's a free country, but bear in the mind the word "feel." Because that's all it is.

Main Paineframe posted:

This is where I'm at. The Australian authorities have very awkwardly permitted 30-60 year-olds to get a 4th shot but not recommended it - in the sense that it's not an official recommendation, but they haven't recommended against it. Just to make the messaging really good and clear.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The problems I see with waiting for an Omicron booster that's "right around the corner":

• It wouldn't be the first time that there are delays with approval, particularly now that new vaccines don't seem to be as slam dunk obviously effective as they were in 2020 (presumably this would be a little bit mitigated by updating what the vaccine is protecting against, but existing seroprevalence along with the "targeting" being a few variants old probably tempers that)
  • Guaranteed any updated vaccine, particularly one that requires new manufacturing / shipments is going to have a slow rollout and gatekeeping. If you're a fairly healthy person that's under 60, a September approval could turn into a December administration of shots.
  • Magnify all of that if you're in a country that doesn't have domestic vaccine production and you have to wait for the US / EU to get comfortable with rollout on their own population before your country gets anything (I'm STILL waiting on Evushield in Canada despite it being widely available in the states for ages now)

Also, on the "why would you wear a mask in that situation?", I get that some specific situations may be perfectly safe, but anyone still wearing masks CONSTANTLY hears "why are you wearing a mask? You know you don't have to" in every situation under the sun these days and it can be extremely frustrating to explain that not everyone has the luxury of just deciding to live with COVID (and in fact, is in more precarious a situation now vs 2020).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So is this the Plague Megathread or should there be a separate thread for this?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1550850921428656132

Very frustrating to see the same mistakes being made with regards to this because it's primarily being spread between MLM at this point even though we know it's not an STD!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there any compelling reason why anyone getting a second booster now would have to wait until next year to get an omicron booster? Ontario already announced that anyone who gets a second booster (which is available for all adults now) would still be eligible for a hypothetical omicron booster in the fall.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

Is there any compelling reason why anyone getting a second booster now would have to wait until next year to get an omicron booster? Ontario already announced that anyone who gets a second booster (which is available for all adults now) would still be eligible for a hypothetical omicron booster in the fall.

Yeah, the current standard is five months between boosters, which means I'd get my hypothetical Omicron booster at the end of December if they don't change eligibility, and frankly I have absolutely no faith it would even be available to my age group at that point.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

freebooter posted:

I was talking about the cycling itself, yes, but I also think wearing a mask at an outdoor rest stop is excessive. Wearing a mask outdoors anywhere - except, I dunno, maybe a mosh pit at a music festival - is a safety blanket thing rather than a considered, reasonable decision.

I say that as someone who had to make a deliberate effort to stop washing/alcohol rubbing my delivered groceries in late 2020 after it had become clear that surface transmission was mostly non-existent and, more importantly, after Australia returned to COVID-zero and there was therefore a 0% chance I could contract COVID from my groceries or from anything else. I still found it hard to stop because it had become a safety blanket thing; a psychological habit that was making me feel better in the moment but was not healthy in the long-term.

It is OK for these psychological tics to have developed; it would be extremely weird after the traumatic events of the past two years if they hadn't! But it's better for them to be engaged with and challenged, not accepted at face value.
Here are the reasons I wear a mask outdoors:
1. Well fitted N95 masks protect extremely well against COVID.
2. Transmission of COVID can occur outdoors.
3. Therefore, if you wear a mask outdoors, you reduce your risk of COVID transmission.

I'm not wearing the mask because I have a "psychological tick", I'm wearing the mask because I genuinely believe it makes me safer. If you want to convince me to take off my mask, you'd have to prove that its all but impossible for COVID to transmit outdoors, using studies and evidence.

And so, I invoke the D&D rules upon thou! Provide evidence that outdoor transmission is all but impossible, or drop your incorrect claim that their is no reason to wear a mask outdoors! So invoked, fair poster! So invoked!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It is certainly possible to transmit COVID outdoors. It's wildly less likely than transmission indoors, just like transmission in properly-ventilated indoor spaces is much less likely than in poorly-ventilated spaces.

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing the odds on outdoor transmission, personally. It's not a very big risk in most situations, and people are going to make their own choices about the level of risk they're prepared to accept when it comes to doing things they want to do, like dining outdoors where you can't wear a mask. I also don't think there's anything wrong with being extra-cautious and wearing a mask outdoors if you wish to do so.

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. You haven't betrayed humanity or yourself if you take a risk that someone else might not, or a risk that you wouldn't take often/in other circumstances. The other side is, you're not a crazy person if you choose to mitigate risks other people would simply accept.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The only reason I wear my mask outdoors is because fishing an N95 out of my pocket, unfolding it, getting the straps over my head, ensuring it’s properly seated, and adjusting the nose bridge is very inconvenient, so if I’m planning on going indoors at any point then I might as well do it as I’m leaving home rather than when standing in front of the grocery store. If I’m just going for a run then I don’t bother.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. You haven't betrayed humanity or yourself if you take a risk that someone else might not, or a risk that you wouldn't take often/in other circumstances. The other side is, you're not a crazy person if you choose to mitigate risks other people would simply accept.

This is very well put, and tbh probably a solid guideline for the thread when it comes to respecting other posters and not feeling the need to call them out for being crazy or irresponsible or whatever.

That said LionArcher getting dunked on for revealing they'd gone to Disneyworld was one of the funniest loving things that happened in this thread. I have nothing personal against LionArcher but god drat was that incredible content. :patriot:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Here's my very simple guideline: everyone who does more than me is in need of psychiatric help and everyone who does less than me is responsible for the deaths of millions.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Here's my very simple guideline: everyone who does more than me is in need of psychiatric help and everyone who does less than me is responsible for the deaths of millions.

too long for thread title pls try again

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

So is this the Plague Megathread or should there be a separate thread for this?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1550850921428656132

Very frustrating to see the same mistakes being made with regards to this because it's primarily being spread between MLM at this point even though we know it's not an STD!

Au contraire!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550459483113095168?t=lDvFBPWyCWoi3Ho4PeEUUA&s=19

Love to purposely spread online disinformation so when kids start being infected en masse in September queer people are targeted worse than reagens admin!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol there's literally a vaccine for it how can you gently caress things up so badly.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Lol there's literally a vaccine for it how can you gently caress things up so badly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/07/13/monkeypox-vaccine-800000-doses/

quote:

Nearly 800,000 more doses of monkeypox vaccine could be ready for distribution in the United States by the end of July following a Food and Drug Administration inspection of a Danish vaccine plant and the expected authorization of the facility, part of an effort to control a record U.S. outbreak of the disease, according to the federal government.

About 780,000 doses are at the supplier in Denmark, according to the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the national stockpile where the vaccines are maintained. The shots have been stored in Denmark awaiting the completion of the FDA on-the-ground inspection and authorization.

“We are working diligently and as fast as we can, and we are aspiring to have that process completed by the end of July,” Peter Marks, who oversees vaccines at the FDA, said in an interview Wednesday.

Well, we bought a million doses, but 3/4ths of them have to sit in Denmark for the FDA to inspect (at a facility fully inspected and approved by the EMA), because God forbid the FDA be expected to act quickly, ever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you go buy a smallpox vaccine at any price or do you have to wait for the government to wake up and do stuff first

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Flappy Bert posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/07/13/monkeypox-vaccine-800000-doses/

Well, we bought a million doses, but 3/4ths of them have to sit in Denmark for the FDA to inspect (at a facility fully inspected and approved by the EMA), because God forbid the FDA be expected to act quickly, ever.

The very next paragraphs after your quote:

quote:

The inspection is finished, but even with authorization pending, the FDA is allowing the Jynneos vaccine, the only one specifically approved by the agency to prevent monkeypox, to be flown to the United States on special planes from Bavarian Nordic, the vaccine’s manufacturer in Denmark, Marks said.

“We have to fly those doses from Europe,” he said. “They have to come on special planes [to maintain needed cold temperatures]. … They can only load 150,000 to 160,000 doses at a time.”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's like what a 4, maximum 8 hour flight from Denmark to anywhere on the east coast, two days maximum to move all doses

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I thought the US had enough (smallpox) vaccine for every person just in case there was a bioterrorist attack or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Every person where, in the Capitol building?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I thought the US had enough (smallpox) vaccine for every person just in case there was a bioterrorist attack or something.

The ACAM2000 smallpox vaccine, which is the one the US stockpiles in massive numbers, is a live vaccine and has a much worse adverse effect profile, to the degree that it's not recommended for general population use. The SNS is part of the effort around both Jynneos and another smallpox treatment they stockpile, TPOXX, which the CDC got an IND for to use in monkeypox patients.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Every person where, in the Capitol building?

I can't find the current number atm but since the stockpile practice started they've produced more than 200 million doses (the vaccine has an expiration date so they have to keep producing more to keep numbers up).

edit: SNS sez "more than 100 million" doses of ACAM2000 on hand.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 25, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rob Filter posted:

3. Therefore, if you wear a mask outdoors, you reduce your risk of COVID transmission.

I'm not wearing the mask because I have a "psychological tick", I'm wearing the mask because I genuinely believe it makes me safer. If you want to convince me to take off my mask, you'd have to prove that its all but impossible for COVID to transmit outdoors, using studies and evidence.

And so, I invoke the D&D rules upon thou! Provide evidence that outdoor transmission is all but impossible, or drop your incorrect claim that their is no reason to wear a mask outdoors! So invoked, fair poster! So invoked!

4. It all but eliminates hay fever symptoms. Pollen count is high and I don't care.

5. It's easier to put the mask on and leave it on until I get home than to mess with it every time I go in and out of a building. If I take it off then I have to put it somewhere. Storing it on my face is the easiest solution.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 25, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wait, if you've been vaccinated against smallpox will that also work for monkeypox because if so there might finally be some benefit to being old! :troll:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, if you've been vaccinated against smallpox will that also work for monkeypox because if so there might finally be some benefit to being old! :troll:

You're probably not even protected against smallpox anymore.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't like that. Can you instead tell me what I want to hear?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

It's like what a 4, maximum 8 hour flight from Denmark to anywhere on the east coast, two days maximum to move all doses

Loading refrigerated vaccine doses from refrigerated storage at a vaccine plant to a refrigerated cargo plane without breaking the cold chain (or half the vials) is probably slightly more complicated and time-consuming than haphazardly chucking boxes into the back of a FedEx truck.

I feel like we're way too eager to assume that career public health officials - not even the political leadership, but people who've literally made inspecting and transporting vaccines their actual day job - are just pointlessly dragging their feet on important public health measures for no reason whatsoever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Loading refrigerated vaccine doses from refrigerated storage at a vaccine plant to a refrigerated cargo plane without breaking the cold chain (or half the vials) is probably slightly more complicated and time-consuming than haphazardly chucking boxes into the back of a FedEx truck.

I feel like we're way too eager to assume that career public health officials - not even the political leadership, but people who've literally made inspecting and transporting vaccines their actual day job - are just pointlessly dragging their feet on important public health measures for no reason whatsoever.

They hosed up pretty bad the first time, though. Like, a bunch of times.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Main Paineframe posted:

Its also a solved logistics problem a long time ago. The delay here is the FDA not the cold chain.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

The ACAM2000 smallpox vaccine, which is the one the US stockpiles in massive numbers, is a live vaccine and has a much worse adverse effect profile, to the degree that it's not recommended for general population use. The SNS is part of the effort around both Jynneos and another smallpox treatment they stockpile, TPOXX, which the CDC got an IND for to use in monkeypox patients.

Yeah, smallpox vaccines tend not to be gentle. Like if everyone in the US got vaccinated for smallpox it would kill hundreds of people and cause thousands of serious illnesses. It would be far better than a smallpox epidemic that killed millions or tens of millions and disfigured far more, but you don't want to do it when better options are available.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Rob Filter posted:

I'm not saying outdoor transmission is impossible, I'm saying it's so unlikely and unusual as to make mask wearing outdoors (assuming it's not super crowded) not worth the bother. This is what makes your "genuine belief it makes me safer" a psychological tick, in my view. Just because a belief is genuine does not make it true!

It does of course make you safer to some degree, in the same sense that wearing a bicycle helmet while I sit here on my couch would make me safer to some degree, but IMO it fails the cost/benefit analysis.

That may not be the view of others but the cyclist OP listed off exactly what the cons were. I personally doubt the cons of mask-wearing are worth whatever benefit it provides against the utterly miniscule chance that you'll contract COVID (which will happen sooner or later anyway and which if you're vaxxed and boosted is unlikely to be anything more than an inconvenient week of self-isolation) while riding a bicycle at high speed.

Live and let live and all, but the reason this bothers me is because it underscores how our governments have really failed on messaging around masks when I see people doing things like this, alongside things like people wearing cloth masks while hiking alone on a mountain trail, or dining indoors at a restaurant but putting their masks back on in between sips of wine. What bothers me isn't that they're doing it - free country! - but that they believe it's having an effect.

Over-zealous masking also gets my goat at the moment because the hot topic in the Australian media and government, as our hospitals come under pressure again, is about whether to reimplement indoor mask mandates (while bars and restaurants and nightclubs would still be open, mind you) instead of focusing on our utterly dismal ~60% third vax rate, with people who've only had two shots making up the vast majority of people getting hospitalised for COVID. I would be far happier to see us return to a vaccine mandate (this time for third shots) to enter hospo or non-essential retail premises than I would be to see the government umm and ahhh over whether to implement cloth masks in schools or whatever the gently caress.

Indeed, and you'll also find that everyone driving faster than me is a maniac and everyone driving slower than me is an idiot

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

maintaining a cold chain is not a big deal for the wealthiest nation in the world, not in the slightest. why do you excuse their incompetence like this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

These delicate vials have to be transported across the churning, treacherous waters of the Atlantic Ocean and you mean to trivialize the task!?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if were really hard, there has been something like two months between when getting that stuff stateside was a good idea and the present day.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'm not saying outdoor transmission is impossible, I'm saying it's so unlikely and unusual as to make mask wearing outdoors (assuming it's not super crowded) not worth the bother. This is what makes your "genuine belief it makes me safer" a psychological tick, in my view. Just because a belief is genuine does not make it true!

It does of course make you safer to some degree, in the same sense that wearing a bicycle helmet while I sit here on my couch would make me safer to some degree, but IMO it fails the cost/benefit analysis.

That may not be the view of others but the cyclist OP listed off exactly what the cons were. I personally doubt the cons of mask-wearing are worth whatever benefit it provides against the utterly miniscule chance that you'll contract COVID (which will happen sooner or later anyway and which if you're vaxxed and boosted is unlikely to be anything more than an inconvenient week of self-isolation) while riding a bicycle at high speed.

Live and let live and all, but the reason this bothers me is because it underscores how our governments have really failed on messaging around masks when I see people doing things like this, alongside things like people wearing cloth masks while hiking alone on a mountain trail, or dining indoors at a restaurant but putting their masks back on in between sips of wine. What bothers me isn't that they're doing it - free country! - but that they believe it's having an effect.

Over-zealous masking also gets my goat at the moment because the hot topic in the Australian media and government, as our hospitals come under pressure again, is about whether to reimplement indoor mask mandates (while bars and restaurants and nightclubs would still be open, mind you) instead of focusing on our utterly dismal ~60% third vax rate, with people who've only had two shots making up the vast majority of people getting hospitalised for COVID. I would be far happier to see us return to a vaccine mandate (this time for third shots) to enter hospo or non-essential retail premises than I would be to see the government umm and ahhh over whether to implement cloth masks in schools or whatever the gently caress.

Indeed, and you'll also find that everyone driving faster than me is a maniac and everyone driving slower than me is an idiot

Dude, I appreciate your post and all, but what you’ve provided here is not exactly evidence. You’ve provided a “gut feeling” that transmission outdoors in most circumstances is so unlikely as to be unworthy of the slight bother of wearing a mask. Maybe you’re right, fine, but so far you haven’t given the OP any evidence that supports that claim, which was the original point of that post you quoted. Like, we already got that you think outdoor transmission is vanishingly unlikely from your previous post—this new post has not actually added anything to your argument, as all you’ve done is basically repeat what you said before.

Like, here’s an example of a peer-reviewed paper showing that deer have been exposed to COVID since 2021: https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.2114828118 (one of the first that pops up when search Google Scholar for white tailed deer COVID; there are others that reach similar conclusions as well). This paper supports the idea that outdoor transmission is not completely negligible (prevalence estimated at 40%, which I wouldn’t consider tiny), unless you want to say the deer were exposed indoors or in an extremely crowded outdoor environment. Maybe that’s not the right way to interpret this paper, fine, and maybe it doesn’t apply to OP’s situation. But at least at a cursory glance, it provides some evidence that outdoor transmission can occur at a non-negligible level that might merit taking precaution. Do you have similar scientific evidence to support your position (please do not just cite NYT or other media sources, as they are not consistently reliable interpreters of science, nor are they peer-reviewed by scientists)?

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 25, 2022

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

freebooter posted:

Right, your claiming that outdoors transmission is all but impossible except in dense crowds. I'm asking you to back up that specific claim with facts and evidence, or abandon it.

quote:

(which will happen sooner or later anyway and which if you're vaxxed and boosted is unlikely to be anything more than an inconvenient week of self-isolation)
You've also made two new claims:

1. Everyone will catch COVID sooner or later anyway.
2. If your vaccinated and boosted, your unlikely to suffer from long covid if you catch covid.

Back these claims up with facts and evidence, or abandon them.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 25, 2022

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

freebooter posted:

Smoke/pollution, OK. But do you really think you're at risk of contracting COVID while riding a bicycle through the countryside, presumably at some speed?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yes, the same thought crossed my mind. Cycling with a mask in order not to catch corona? Wtf

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

A big flaming stink posted:

Au contraire!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550459483113095168?t=lDvFBPWyCWoi3Ho4PeEUUA&s=19

Love to purposely spread online disinformation so when kids start being infected en masse in September queer people are targeted worse than reagens admin!

yeah they're already ramping up into it

https://twitter.com/caitlinmoriah/status/1551227872584429568

Satanic Panic 2.0 here we go :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Yes, the same thought crossed my mind. Cycling with a mask in order not to catch corona? Wtf

Who cares though? Why does it affect you?

Maybe you're the exception, but 99% of the time people "just ask questions" about why you wear a mask in a particular circumstance, it's less about genuine concern for your mental health and more "point at the weirdo".