Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Is it really that difficult for these upper crust types to keep their dicks in their pants?

Humans as a group really like loving around and it takes a lot of effort to stop this (and it is by no means clear to me that it’s worth all the fuss).

On the leadership election, I am reasonably certain that neither of the candidates is the right combination of competent and ideologically driven to stop the trend towards actual fascism under Boris from backsliding a bit from “hellish” to “merely poo poo”; I don’t think either can handle a GE either. Truss is a gaffe machine and Rishi has somehow managed to be the least relatable person in Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OzyMandrill posted:

Dark chocolate is best eaten... cooked into a nice dark chocolate fudge cake.
I can attest to this recipe too, but it requires 500g chocolate - (over 50% dark and it will taste too bitter), 300g double cream, 200g butter, 400g of sugar, which I think puts the calorific density somewhere between crude oil and uranium.

Those are amateur numbers.

You don’t want to know how much goes into my fudge.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Beefeater1980 posted:

Humans as a group really like loving around and it takes a lot of effort to stop this (and it is by no means clear to me that it’s worth all the fuss).

On the leadership election, I am reasonably certain that neither of the candidates is the right combination of competent and ideologically driven to stop the trend towards actual fascism under Boris from backsliding a bit from “hellish” to “merely poo poo”; I don’t think either can handle a GE either. Truss is a gaffe machine and Rishi has somehow managed to be the least relatable person in Britain.

Neither candidate opposes that trend

I'm not actually sure what Boris policies either of them disagree with

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OzyMandrill posted:

Parma violets are modelled after old lady perfume.
If you like them, then you want to have sex with old ladies, and that's a fact.

Can confirm.

After a parma violet (and/or sex with old ladies) I like very dark chocolate and the bitterest coffee possible, none of this 'smooth' crap.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gort posted:

Neither candidate opposes that trend

I'm not actually sure what Boris policies either of them disagree with

Sorry to be clear: I don’t think they’re true believers and even to the extent they are, I don’t think they are competent enough to push the agenda through. So under either of them I reckon the most likely outcome is reversion to the mean and then turning in a poo poo performance in a GE.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
keith labour is also guaranteed to put in a poo poo performance at a GE

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

I used to hate them but I started having half an olive a day to acquire the taste and now I love them. Was some advice from a celebrity chef on the radio.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
chicken parma violet

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I like Turkish Delight. I do. A lot if people don't like Turkish delight, I mean Fry's Turkish delight. The type with the chocolate on it and the purple wrapper. But I like it. A lot of people say "ugh Turkish delight that's disgusting. How can you eat that? It's like eating perfume, it's like eating old women's perfume. Like lavender water, or rose water or whatever it is. How can you like that?" But I like it. I like turkish Delight. I don't like it enough to get it for every day, or every week. In fact I can't remember the last time I got a Turkish delight. But every now and then, I'll be in a shop and I walk by the shelves with all the chocolate and I'll see a Turkish delight and I'll get it. It's nice, I like it. I like Turkish Delight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xuedh4i_8E

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RainMaker posted:

I used to hate them but I started having half an olive a day to acquire the taste and now I love them. Was some advice from a celebrity chef on the radio.

I also disliked olives for decades before trying them again on a whim and discovering they're good now.

Tastes just change as you age, is all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If you don't like turkish delight, you probably won't like this.
It's gross.
I tried a tub after a friend wrote a scathing review of it. Sickly sweet and overpowering taste of rose water.
Save your ££££s.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
rose water? rose water flavour? kid poo poo. just eat the flowers. stems and all. what are you afraid of thorns or something. grow up

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's gross.
I tried a tub after a friend wrote a scathing review of it. Sickly sweet and overpowering taste of rose water.
Save your ££££s.

that lid's not going to fit

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:siren: GRUMPYPOST INCOMING :siren:

RainMaker posted:

Olives are definitely my "absolutely hate them" food. Disgusting slimy things that are somehow saltier than actual salt. And people ruin perfectly good pizzas by putting chopped olives on them! inconceivable

Noxville posted:

Yeah most coffee that people have had is either crappy freeze-dried instant, or Starbucks who deliberately roast their beans to a crisp to guarantee a consistent (awful) taste. My wife rarely drank coffee before she met me, and when she did it needed milk and sugar, now she'll have a cup of black coffee a day with me because it's made properly with properly roasted beans amd it doesn't need sweetening.
I would quite like to get into 'proper' coffee but all the ways to do it seem to involve spending a huge amount of money on gear and then lots of time grinding beans and other faff. I'm not interested in "the ritual", I just want my coffee!

Last time we had coffeetalk in the Discord somebody recommended a V60 as an easy entry point and it's fine, but I still feel like I'm loving it up because it takes so long to pour over that by the time it's ready it's only lukewarm (since I'm already starting with below–boiling point water). Shouldn't it be piping hot?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angepain posted:

rose water? rose water flavour? kid poo poo. just eat the flowers. stems and all. what are you afraid of thorns or something. grow up

I used to have a friend who ate daffodil bulbs at Dingwalls in Camden Town when we were on trend and used to wear black clothes and hang out in the market in the 80s.early 90s. He got very sick.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jippa posted:

People on the internet go way over the top in food arguments.
We need a version of Godwin's law but for hot sauce guys in food discussions.

TACD posted:

I was incredibly excited to try some when I saw it in a shop and then incredibly disappointed when it turned out to be some weird gross jelly thing 🤢
There's the chocolate covered bar in a pink wrapper you get in shops, and theres the proper stuff you get in boxes covered with icing sugar, and the two are a country mile apart.

Matinee posted:

I like Turkish Delight. I do. A lot if people don't like Turkish delight, I mean Fry's Turkish delight. The type with the chocolate on it and the purple wrapper. But I like it. A lot of people say "ugh Turkish delight that's disgusting. How can you eat that? It's like eating perfume, it's like eating old women's perfume. Like lavender water, or rose water or whatever it is. How can you like that?" But I like it. I like turkish Delight. I don't like it enough to get it for every day, or every week. In fact I can't remember the last time I got a Turkish delight. But every now and then, I'll be in a shop and I walk by the shelves with all the chocolate and I'll see a Turkish delight and I'll get it. It's nice, I like it. I like Turkish Delight.
:smugdon:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
does anyone have an Ideal Logic Combi C30 gas boiler? need halp

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

whatever you do, dont

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

Dark chocolate is best eaten... cooked into a nice dark chocolate fudge cake.
I can attest to this recipe too, but it requires 500g chocolate - (over 50% dark and it will taste too bitter), 300g double cream, 200g butter, 400g of sugar, which I think puts the calorific density somewhere between crude oil and uranium.

Oh hey, that's the recipe I've been using for years. It's insanely good.

Pro tip with the ganache, don't try to pour it on if you only have the cake on a dinner plate, in your newly rented apartment with a carpeted kitchen.

Desperately trying to catch overflowing molten chocolate in your hands while spraying it everywhere.

Cake is awesome tho.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Mebh posted:

carpeted kitchen.

:catstare:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

whatever you do, dont

i just need to know if it needs a thermostat. i've bought a place and it has boiler but no thermostat :confused:

gas heating is new to me

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TACD posted:

I would quite like to get into 'proper' coffee but all the ways to do it seem to involve spending a huge amount of money on gear and then lots of time grinding beans and other faff. I'm not interested in "the ritual", I just want my coffee!

Last time we had coffeetalk in the Discord somebody recommended a V60 as an easy entry point and it's fine, but I still feel like I'm loving it up because it takes so long to pour over that by the time it's ready it's only lukewarm (since I'm already starting with below–boiling point water). Shouldn't it be piping hot?

I just use beans, a cheap hand grinder, and a £20 press. If I'm feeling fancy I'll crush a cardomon pod or two in there.

If you already like caffeine and the smell of nice coffee then you learn to enjoy the little ritual really fast, freshly ground beans smell amazing to me. You can get 3-4 mugs out of a standard cafetierre and you get a fair few cafetierre's worth if you use an electric grinder so it's not like you need to faff about for every cup

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Was my first proper salaried job at £12,500 pro rata. I found a 1 bed flat half a mile from work for £500 a month. Couldn't afford to be picky!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone noticed how Corbyn, "accidentally" portrayed by the BBC as wearing a fur hat makes him a Russian asset, yet Liz Truss in what is definitely a Russian-style fur hat is doing nothing more than channelling Thatcher?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Still not as grim as the first time you go into a house & see a carpeted bathroom.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Miftan posted:

Even the coriander thing only applies to fresh coriander. You can put dried coriander in most of those people's food and they'll like it (speaking as someone with the soap gene)

Just Another Lurker posted:

Bloody strange isn't it, absolutely love dried coriander but the fresh stiff is like eating a bar of Life Boy. :(

Are you talking about the dried shredded leaves, or the light brown powder? Because the powder is dried coriander seed, which has a completely different flavour and usage

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

i just need to know if it needs a thermostat. i've bought a place and it has boiler but no thermostat :confused:

gas heating is new to me
Looking at the spec sheet you have a few options:

That's pretty similar to mine, when my thermostat ate poo poo a few years ago I did diagram C but with a light switch instead of a thermostat. Switch go on, boiler go hot.

It looks as though yours can do OpenTherm too though, so you could wire in a low voltage thermostat like a google nest or what have you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I am extremely basic with coffee and will just drink any instant Arabica

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TACD posted:

:siren: GRUMPYPOST INCOMING :siren:

Olives are definitely my "absolutely hate them" food. Disgusting slimy things that are somehow saltier than actual salt. And people ruin perfectly good pizzas by putting chopped olives on them! inconceivable

You should wash them before eating so you don't eat all the brine from the jar they come in :ssh:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's gross.
Save your ££££s.

Ugh, after an accident while making ‘gilded rose’ fudge back in February where I misjudged the strength of the rose essence, I can’t stand that smell/taste. Entire house stank of concentrated roses for three days after.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gonna put this dark chocolate bounty here: the perfect confection

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Scientastic posted:

Are you talking about the dried shredded leaves, or the light brown powder? Because the powder is dried coriander seed, which has a completely different flavour and usage

Either are fine for me and I can't stand the fresh stuff.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I used to think I loved coriander until I started cooking HelloFresh and I used it fresh for the first time. I still like it, I just have to be... sparing.

Also Turkish Delight - I tried some brought back from Turkey once and it didn't taste like icing/caster sugar coating the outside, it seemed more like flour? Absolutely vile. The chocolate bar is fantastic though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Now i want Knafeh. Possibly the greatest dessert ever made.

Molten salty mozzarella cheese with spun pastry ontop soaked in sugar/rosewater syrup with pistachios. Unf.

Like a millon calories.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

I used to think I loved coriander until I started cooking HelloFresh and I used it fresh for the first time. I still like it, I just have to be... sparing.

Also Turkish Delight - I tried some brought back from Turkey once and it didn't taste like icing/caster sugar coating the outside, it seemed more like flour? Absolutely vile. The chocolate bar is fantastic though.

I think it's cornflour mixed with icing sugar.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I don't particularly care for courgette.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

TACD posted:

I wouldn't call V60 an easy entry point - it's got too many variables, some of them skill-based. I'd start with an Aeropress or a Clever Dripper, which are cheap, easy to clean, and fairly foolproof at making nice coffee. Usually you'd be using near-boiling water too.

The biggest leap going from "normal person" coffee to specialty (snob) coffee is using freshly-ground beans, preferably roasted in the last few weeks and using a burr grinder that doesn't suck. This would probably be the "money on gear" part, and it's definitely not pocket change, but it doesn't have to be new-hobby money either.

My go-to setup would be

Baratza Encore electric grinder (or an equivalent quality hand grinder for less money)

Clever Dripper OR Aeropress

Digital scale

Also agreeing with Spangly that the ritual can be nice, and it's nowhere near home espresso levels of crazy. You can go from entering the kitchen to sipping a cup in well under 10 minutes, inc cleanup.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dead Goon posted:

I don't particularly care for courgette.

Me neither. It's too slimy.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i never really got into peas. broccoli i can handle but peas? no. get away. no peas. also uh uk politics uh boy those tories eh? still bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah courgette has the texture of being part rotten.