Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Japan also has pretty low inflation, so the numbers in a chart like this aren't as out of date as they would be for most countries.

I've always found it funny how rent and eating out can be very affordable in Japan if you shopped around, but fruit is apparently a rare delicacy that seems to cost 20x compared to most other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jomo posted:

I've always found it funny how rent and eating out can be very affordable in Japan if you shopped around, but fruit is apparently a rare delicacy that seems to cost 20x compared to most other countries.
fruits in super markets are usually luxury items from top class farms or w/e. if you want cheap ones you need to go to a local farmers market or something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Shirobako (an anime about making anime) had this infographic in it, but it's from 2014-2015 and also probably a bit more glamourised than reality.

Not a proper article or anything, but it's a handy first step at a glance.

(Watch Shirobako btw it's good)

drat, Series Directors and Chief Animators make like... shift manager at In N Out money. I didn't think living in Japan was that cheap, but it must be if these people aren't starving in a ditch.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 12, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

drat, Series Directors and Chief Animators make like... shift manager at In N Out money.

more famous ones can make more but yeah, the animation industry in japan (and around the world, but especially in japan) only really exists because of passion. which is nice and all but itd be nice if they got paid more too. the price of living in japan is pretty low compared to cities in the us so you can get by on most of these wages but you wont exactly be living the high life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

the price of living in japan is pretty low compared to cities in the us so you can get by on most of these wages but you wont exactly be living the high life.

brb figuring out where in asia i can work remotely from and keep my us salary

(Except Singapore. That place is fuckin' expensive)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can work in Singapore and commute daily from the much cheaper Johor Bahru, Malaysia :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

brb figuring out where in asia i can work remotely from and keep my us salary

(Except Singapore. That place is fuckin' expensive)

if you work as a jp-to-eng translator and get moved over to the japanese branch theyll usually let you keep your salary

on the other hand jp-to-eng translation rarely pays that well unless its corporate and really boring

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

You can work in Singapore and commute daily from the much cheaper Johor Bahru, Malaysia :)

I know a few people who have done this and most say that the logistical hassle of having to commute across a border every working day kinda sucks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

I know a few people who have done this and most say that the logistical hassle of having to commute across a border every working day kinda sucks.

Yeah, my cousin does it. It absolutely does suck, the lines are insane at 5 am

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

if you work as a jp-to-eng translator and get moved over to the japanese branch theyll usually let you keep your salary

on the other hand jp-to-eng translation rarely pays that well unless its corporate and really boring

I work in tech, not publishing. But we do have a good number of Japanese customers....

Ibblebibble posted:

I met people who did that the last time I was there and no thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dealing with IRL poo poo lately has left me in the need of cheering up with some funny entertainment. Saw elsewhere a recommendation for Gintama as a funny one and it's been amusing so far six episodes in. But this thing is huge! Does it keep the quality throughout? Hell, has anyone even watched all of those episodes?

If the quality takes a nosedive, I guess I could always rewatch Nichijou or something. Or I can hear some recommendations, too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Dealing with IRL poo poo lately has left me in the need of cheering up with some funny entertainment. Saw elsewhere a recommendation for Gintama as a funny one and it's been amusing so far six episodes in. But this thing is huge! Does it keep the quality throughout? Hell, has anyone even watched all of those episodes?

If the quality takes a nosedive, I guess I could always rewatch Nichijou or something. Or I can hear some recommendations, too.

The earliest eps are honestly the weakest parts of the show (still enjoyable though!) because like a lot of comedy anime of that sort it really improves after it gets all the character introductions out of the way such that it can just throw an assortment of characters into various situations without having to tell you what everyone's deal is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Srice posted:

The earliest eps are honestly the weakest parts of the show (still enjoyable though!) because like a lot of comedy anime of that sort it really improves after it gets all the character introductions out of the way such that it can just throw an assortment of characters into various situations without having to tell you what everyone's deal is.

Nice, that's just what the doctor ordered.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Saoshyant posted:

Nice, that's just what the doctor ordered.

also re: length: most episodes are self contained or maybe part of a 3 episode arc, so it's very easy to pick up and put down if you need to. i've been watching a few dozen episodes every couple months for like 3 years now whenever i want to see hijikata squirt mayo on something that should not contain mayo or watch gintoki poke someone in the butt and it's still great.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Big Leg posted:

whenever i want to see hijikata squirt mayo on something that should not contain mayo or watch gintoki poke someone in the butt and it's still great.

Nobody wants to know about your weird fetishes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is Gintama still the same after the 201 episode? That was the season I left off but I heard that there is more serious battle arcs in the latter half of the show. I am currently rewatching and drat this show has some of the best gags in the medium, only Osomatsu San comes close to it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ulio posted:

Is Gintama still the same after the 201 episode? That was the season I left off but I heard that there is more serious battle arcs in the latter half of the show. I am currently rewatching and drat this show has some of the best gags in the medium, only Osomatsu San comes close to it.

The transition doesn't fully switch over until the end of season 3, and even then they go back to do a bunch of chapters they skipped at one point.

And yeah, Gintama and Osomatsu happen to have the same director too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thres moer serious battle arcs in the latter half of the show but the more serious battle arcs are still like 6-7 episodes long at most and theres stretches of comedy episodes between them. it never becomes like, an actual action shonen thing 24/7.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

thres moer serious battle arcs in the latter half of the show but the more serious battle arcs are still like 6-7 episodes long at most and theres stretches of comedy episodes between them. it never becomes like, an actual action shonen thing 24/7.

it kinda does in the last 60 or so episodes after they kill off a few recurring characters, but they don't stop with the dumb jokes even then

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Imo even when serious Gintama is still real good the writing that come out of the more serious arcs is genuinely good.

It also does the seemingly hard thing of knowing when to stop telling jokes so character moments can just breath.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

The transition doesn't fully switch over until the end of season 3, and even then they go back to do a bunch of chapters they skipped at one point.

And yeah, Gintama and Osomatsu happen to have the same director too.

drat I didn't know about the director, Osomatsu is top tier poo poo although I don't see anyone mention it online as much as they did when it was first airing. It seemed like one of those shows that really was popular in Japan but didn't reach same level of fame here.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Imo even when serious Gintama is still real good the writing that come out of the more serious arcs is genuinely good.

It also does the seemingly hard thing of knowing when to stop telling jokes so character moments can just breath.

Ya the serious arcs are good but imo the comedy is so much better. That being said I will definitely keep watching till the end, just wanted to know if the shift in tone is really huge or not.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for an isekai anime that does interesting things with the genre besides OP nerd gets harem because they the bestest op fightmans and everyone loves them ezcept for the baddies. Preferably a dub, double points if the crux of the story is something with a horror bent to it.

Already watched Im a spider, Overlord, and currently watching realistic hero.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Defenestrategy posted:

Looking for an isekai anime that does interesting things with the genre besides OP nerd gets harem because they the bestest op fightmans and everyone loves them ezcept for the baddies. Preferably a dub, double points if the crux of the story is something with a horror bent to it.

Inu Yasha
El Hazard
Escaflowne
Now and Then, Here and There

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are manga allowed because there's a shitload of those compared to anime (and way way more than that if you count light novels)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

Saga of Tanya the Evil.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Defenestrategy posted:

Isekai Ojisan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

The main horror in Konosuba is that the goddess overseeing reincarnation is a total idiot, but the show is a good time, and it has a dub.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Toshimo posted:

Inu Yasha
El Hazard
Escaflowne
Now and Then, Here and There

Those Who Hunt Elves :v:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Defenestrategy posted:

Looking for an isekai anime that does interesting things with the genre besides OP nerd gets harem because they the bestest op fightmans and everyone loves them except for the baddies. Preferably a dub, double points if the crux of the story is something with a horror bent to it.

You watched Re:Zero yet? Probably the biggest isekai in recent years that also eschews a lot of the negative trappings you described, and it's pretty good to boot. Edit: Also it has a pretty spooky scene in season 2, provided you watch it with headphones.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Grimgar Fantasy of Ash is about some kids who get zapped over to a new world without any special bonuses, and their struggle to work as mercenaries cause they're broke.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm just gonna make a general isekai manga rec list, the fella above might find some they enjoy in here if they are willing to check out manga(for a much darker than normal series, though maybe not "horror", I recommend Roxana)

top recs:
The Faraway Paladin - has an anime, I've not seen it but I hear it's a subpar adaptation with bad animation. Person reincarnates as a baby that is found by a trio of monsters; a ghost, a mummy, and a skeleton warrior, who raise him in the desolate ruins of a former civilization. Very good series that gets very dark at times. Excellent characters, decent art, excellent story.
Roxana - a series where the lead reincarnates as the villainess of a romance story. the MC is part of a kingdom's reigning household renowned for their evil and cruelty, and in the story she's from, when the heroine's brother is killed, her entire kingdom is laid to ruin. Thus, she must find a way to keep said brother alive, without blowing her cover among her ridiculously evil family. Excellent art, probably one of the darkest recs on the list.
Beware the Villainess! is a Manwha that follows a person who finds themself in the body of a doomed villainess of a dating sim story, and her efforts to avoid the various horrible fates that await her at the end of every path in the story. Completed series, ends strong.
Yakuza Reincarnation - an elderly yakuza dies while fighting off a thug, and reincarnates as the exiled princess of a fantasy kingdom in a world ruled by fairly obvious but still creative parallels to real-world crime lords(drug dealers, human traffickers, etc). Excellent artwork, characters, story, and action, one of my most-anticipated series to eventually get an anime
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma! - Has multiple great anime seasons. extremely good, fun series about a boy getting sold to satan by his terrible parents, but satan just wanted a grandson. he gets enrolled in demon school and makes friends. A wonderful series that can absolutely turn on the action and even a bit of horror when it wants, but is mostly just a really good time.
The Red Ranger Gets Isekai'd - a group of Power Rangers are fighting their Big Bads, when one of them gets thrown into a portal and ends up in a fantasy world. Great art, great humor, great action, I was surprised it has stayed as good as it has, one of my current-running favorite isekais.
The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic - two schoolkids get summoned to a fantasy kingdom while walking home from school, and their friend accidentally gets sucked into the portal too. He has the ability to heal, which sucks in terms of strength, but he learns to use it in unorthodox ways and becomes kind of a freakish monster of a person. Good characters, a decent story, decent humor, but it all ties together very well. Has an anime coming I believe.
Is This Really A Different World? - this one hurts. It only has six chapters before seemingly being abandoned, but those six chapters show a hilarious, brilliant take on an isekai "fantasy" world. Guy finds himself in another world, encounters a red ogre, who is...the barista of a vegan cafe. It sets up some really drat creative comedic ideas for a series but then just stops as I assume the artist went on to other projects. Such a shame.
Isekai Transporter - follows the guy who drives Truck-Kun, the vehicle notorious for sending people off into other worlds. Initially tongue-in-cheek, it gets really into the weeds about the minutiae of how and why he has to run people over all the time, it's pretty great for what is based entirely off a simple joke.
The Devil is a Part-Timer - has an anime, with a second season that just began airing after...almost ten loving years since the first season!!!!! the demon lord and hero face off against each other in a climactic battle, before the demon lord tries to escape through a portal. He ends up along with his minion in japan, and starts working at McDonalds to pay the rent in his tiny apartment, while the Hero ends up elsewhere and starts working at a call center. Has lots of appropriately silly stuff based on that premise, but also has a massive overarching storyline involving the fantasy world that apparently only just wrapped up a couple years back despite being running for many years.
The Observation Record of the Self-Proclaimed Villainess - girl obsessed with a dating game gets isekai'd into it as the villainess, and is determined to stick to the storyline but is terrible at being a villainess. Her fiance, the genius prince, keeps an eye on her antics. Very wholesome series, with some pretty dramatic twists I wasn't expecting. A definitive ending, as well, which is rare for an isekai these days, and also has a sequel(spoilers even visiting that link, obviously)
The Eminence in Shadow - has an anime coming at some point. MC is a full blown chuuni and reincarnates into a world where he is indeed insanely overpowered, but spends immense effort making sure he looks like any other "mob". One of the genuinely good comedy isekai, takes the piss out of a lot of isekai tropes in funny ways, while also having lots of ridiculous action and drama (that the MC is oblivious to due to his delusions)

more general isekai recs:
I Came to Another World, But I Hope to Live Safely - about an isekai'd protagonist who has no powers getting allies who are stupidly strong. Decently funny, likeable characters, solid intrigue.
I Was Reincarnated as a Sword(also known as Sword Dad) - getting an anime at some point. guy dies, wakes up as essentially The Master Sword in the middle of a forest. Gets stuck in the ground, eventually is found by an escaped slave catgirl who wields him to kill her captors, and from then on they become adventurers. Pretty good series, I like the dynamic between the two lead characters.
Der Werewolf - guy reincarnates as a werewolf in the demon lord's army, becomes a commander and helps besiege and occupy a human settlement. Not a lot of chapters but what's there is good.
Life with an Ordinary Guy who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout - has a well-regarded anime. Two salarymen are summoned by a goddess to another world, one gets turned into the most beautiful girl in the world, romantic hijinks ensue. Written and drawn by a husband and wife duo, genuinely funny series.
Reborn as a Dragon Egghas a similar feel to I'm A Spider, So What?, but focuses much more on the struggling to survive in the wild. Has some of the annoying trappings of isekai, like the stats thing that plagues the Spider Isekai. Also has a pretty unique art style. My biggest complaint is it doesn't update very often.
The Ideal Sponger Life - guy gets asked to come to another world by a queen who wants to bear his children. If that's all it was, I'd pass on it, but...it swiftly delves into significant sociopolitical dealings between multiple kingdoms, such as the ramifications of suddenly having a king(the MC) in a kingdom ruled by a queen, in a world dominated by male-run kingdoms. I was surprised I enjoy the series as much as I do.
Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - a group of power ranger villains sends a pair of agents to another world to prep it for invasion. Every single person in this series is a huge dipshit rear end in a top hat, especially to each other. By the Konosuba author, but more mean of a series, the characters can be downright unlikeable in how much of a jerk they are sometimes if the comedy doesn't hit, but it does have its moments.
Handyman Saito in Another World - a handyman gets transported to another world, joins a dungeon-diving team to find treasure. Has some really incredible short gag strips before it starts getting into longer-form storylines(which I feel are weaker than the gag parts, but are still good)
I Am the Only One Who Knows This is a Game - dude plays way too much of a game that is basically Skyrim-level buggy, and then gets Captain N'd into it. He then has to use bug exploits to survive in the game, which was notorious for being designed to hate the player even before being glitchy as hell. Pretty funny and silly, doesn't update often.
Campfire Cooking in Another World - a chef gets sent to another world with the ability to buy stuff from a magical amazon window basically. Meets up with Fenrir, a demigod wolf, makes a contract with him in exchange for cooking food for him. It's a very laid-back series which is mostly focused on him making monster companions who then go and fight absurd things while he makes dinner. very cute, also has a spinoff series that follows his Slime companion called Sui's Big Adventure, which is also very cute.
A Wild Last Boss Appeared! - guy wakes up in the body of the godlike character he played in a player-created-content-centric mmo. Goes around recruiting the 12 zodiac beings they created with their guildmates who betrayed them in a climactic battle between the group as a sendoff for the game, which all of this is treated as real world lore in the world he wakes up in. Good art, interesting characters, decent story, though it's stopped updating lately.
Welcome to Japan, Elf-san! - Guy gets isekai'd to a fantasy world every time he goes to sleep, but one time when he died with his elf friend in the fantasy world, he awoke to find her in bed with him in Japan, and they start going back and forth between the two worlds. Cute, laid-back series.
Moon-Led Journey - guy is accidentally summoned by a spiteful goddess, who chucks him out the proverbial window to the world below, where he has to initially scrape to survive before becoming the typical overpowered isekai protagonist. I wound up reading the light novel of this up to wherever it stopped a few years ago, and it's decent, has some interesting things to do with what an insanely overpowered isekai protagonist would mean to the grander scheme of things, but it takes a WHILE to get to that point. Has an anime.
Survival in Another World With My Mistress! - :nws: series, dude gets sent to a fantasy world with minecraft powers. Like, literally, places blocks, and the furnace and crafting table etc. Has a fair amount of boning in it. Pretty funny series, I like the main characters, I like whenever he does his minecraft bullshit it makes everyone else side-eye the poo poo out of him because it looks freaky as hell, it surprised me with how fun it is for a fairly generic isekai. Very horny series, fair warning.

some I've either not read yet but have been recommended on here before, or are relatively new/have few chapters
Isekai Izakaya Nobu - a bar has a door that lets in people from another world, haven't read yet but heard good things
Destroy Everything! - goddess of destruction and the hero kill each other, reincarnate as siblings, attempt to live normal modern-day lives while also having remnants of their former powers. new series, pretty decent so far
Ascendence of a Bookworm - has multiple anime season, apparently very highly regarded, but I've not checked it out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone should write a light novel called "Everything has an overly descriptive and literal title" and the premise is that it's an Isekai where magic is done by describing the thing you want to happen and the more precisely and elaborately you describe that thing, the more powerful the magic is. The MC is a mangaka and/or light novel author and therefore is inherently the most powerful being in the universe.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 25, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't recommend Sword Dad Isekai. It got a little creepy and pervy about the 10yo deuteragonist.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

seconding re:zero as probably the most obvious choice. it's a (episode 1 spoiler) groundhog day/time loop isekai. be warned that it occasionally gets very close to being a harem anime/is one depending on where exactly you draw the line

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just wish there were more straight fantasy series that didn't take the isekai route.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I wish for more gay fantasy series that don't take the isekai route, personally :cheeky:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arc Hammer posted:

I just wish there were more straight fantasy series that didn't take the isekai route.

Honestly you might as well just take the ones that don't actually use the isekai for anything as being straight fantasy. They're only isekai because it's a safe starting point, usually.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Supremezero posted:

Honestly you might as well just take the ones that don't actually use the isekai for anything as being straight fantasy. They're only isekai because it's a safe starting point, usually.

It feels like the Manga equivalent of certain book series being marketed to the young adult section because the label of YA or Isekai has distributors seeing dollar signs as they keep waiting to jump on the next big thing.

I do hope the Bastard remake gets more people back on the fantasy train without stats and level ups and lame everyman protags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I kinda forgot that Demon School Iruma is an isekai. Such a fun show.