Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chglcu posted:

Disco Elysium is incredibly boring and thinks it much more clever and funny than it is and really wants you to know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hm, still no

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I never finished playing Disco Elysium for good and moral reasons: I was scared something bad might happen to Kim :ohdear:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I never finished playing Disco Elysium for good and moral reasons: I was scared something bad might happen to Kim :ohdear:

coward

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mBTXbM2SOQ&t=52s

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jerusalem posted:

And something bad did happen to Kim, he was abandoned.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Disco Elysium: Amazon has hired an even more evil version of Blackwater to murder striking union workers.
Gamers: Hmm, perhaps both sides have a point.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ZearothK posted:

And something bad did happen to Kim, he was abandoned.

Even a non-choice is a choice :hmmyes:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Pwnstar posted:

Disco Elysium: Amazon has hired an even more evil version of Blackwater to murder striking union workers.
Gamers: Hmm, perhaps both sides have a point.
They got cool hats though, can't forget that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If pop media's taught me anything, it's any atrocity can be forgiven if the person committing it looks loving badass.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

If pop media's taught me anything, it's any atrocity can be forgiven if the person committing it looks loving badass.
Then why do all the billionares look like out of shape flabby dorks?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bad Seafood posted:

one of these human rights violators has gotta look into hugo boss uniforms

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Croccers posted:

Then why do all the billionares look like out of shape flabby dorks?
Not all squares are rectangles.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ariong posted:

I played Disco Elysium for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. I dunno if that’s actualy fair though because a lot of that was spent at character creation looking at the dizzying array of different stats and deciding which one of the default starting archetypes I wanted to choose. That part was cool. Then I woke up in my apartment and started trying to do stuff. This part of the game was funny and I enjoyed it.

Eventually I met a woman in the lobby who started telling me about Revachol, and I had her tell me as much as I could because I had heard the game had a cool world it took place in and figured knowing about it would help solve the mystery, but I found that conversation to be really dry and boring. I went outside and talked to a couple people, called a guy out on his dogwhistle racism, worked out exactly how a set of tire tracks was left on the ground. All that was cool.

Then I went to go look at the body and I found Cuno, who IIRC was a witness to the murder, so I tried to get information out of him. He was annoying and I really didn’t like talking to him, but he was my best lead, so I kept going. At some point during the conversation I got a game over, which I have since come to understand is something that can happen at a moment’s notice in DE, but at the time I didn’t know that, so I hadn’t been saving regularly. I tried to load the only autosave but it was glitched out somehow and put me into an empty pinkish-purple void. I kept the game installed for a while so I could go back to it, but I never did. The first part of the game was somewhat enjoyable, but not really enough for me to want to do it all over again.

EDIT: The pinkish-purple void was not totally empty, it had the tree with the corpse hanging from it, though I could not interact with it. In retrospect it’s kind a cool, weird, creepy glitch, but in the moment I was just so frustrated at the amount of time I had wasted.

Wow. I talked to Cuno. He didn't kill me by the power of speech. Sorry you suck at videogames.

diso elysium is good

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

sebmojo posted:

The elves of the Forest have always hated the Dwarves of the Mountains, since time immemorial, and coveted their lustrous jewels

I only enjoy this and the Dune novels for all my political discourse

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

chglcu posted:

Disco Elysium is incredibly boring and thinks it much more clever and funny than it is and really wants you to know it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's like the third most earned achievement in the game. Tons of people have it.

I got it AND the Biggest Communist Builder achievement in one run. Sometimes I got better things to do than talk politics with someone and apparently that's centrist. Or someone will ask me an opinion on something when I literally have no idea what is going on. "Do you side with the somethingyou'veneverheardof?" "I literally have amnesia and zero idea of whatever the gently caress you just said so... no comment." "Wow, such centrism."

So yeah it's pretty easy to get just accidentally.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't remember where i read it but i'm pretty sure there's an interview out there where the main writer for disco elysium elaborates that he spent like 20 years plotting out the world of revachol and everything in it including the Pale as a homebrewed d&d campaign and then decided to just go whole hog and turn it into a video game

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's pretty neat that resident evil 7 isn't vr on PC still

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I found DE boring because I'm the kinda dude who wants the best ending and trying to brute force skill checks is boring, anyway, I played a bit, opened a gate, reloaded the Cujo fight a few times until I won, then I got sick of it and quit.

I'm sure it is a great game, but it's not my great game and I'm happy for the people who enjoy it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i don't remember where i read it but i'm pretty sure there's an interview out there where the main writer for disco elysium elaborates that he spent like 20 years plotting out the world of revachol and everything in it including the Pale as a homebrewed d&d campaign and then decided to just go whole hog and turn it into a video game

Yes, thats also why that one derelict commercial district has an entire office dedicated to some dnd nerds who got big heads and decided to shoot for the moon with some ambitious game project. It's entirely the devs just doing an auto-biography about their fears of failure and putting it in the game. It owns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phigs posted:

Sometimes I got better things to do than talk politics with someone and apparently that's centrist.

Let me tell you about a website called Something Awful

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Upsidads posted:

It's pretty neat that resident evil 7 isn't vr on PC still

There's a guy who spent a long time making a VR mod and released it a few months ago. My results weren't great but other people have tried it and said it's even better than playing the official PSVR version. I'm still using a GTX 1070, it might just have been that it doesn't have enough grunt to run it properly. I was getting a weird effect where it didn't seem like both eyes on the headset were matching up correctly and that might have been the reason. Worth a try at least if you have a VR headset and a relatively recent graphics card, the same mod also allows you to enable VR on RE8 if you want to try that as well.

You can download the files here:

https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases/tag/v1.2

There are some Youtube videos of how to get it working if it gives you trouble.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone else interested in Cult of The Lamb? It's out in two weeks.

I liked the demo. Felt kind of Binding of Isaac ish, with some light management aspects. Have to see how the whole game hashes out though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Didn't some game journo claim that DE was a alt right fash game because he so fundamentally misunderstood it?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone else interested in Cult of The Lamb? It's out in two weeks.

The demo was pretty fun. The combat is only okay, but the style is top notch, love to see indie games going for the Paper Mario look. I'll probably pick it up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

Didn't some game journo claim that DE was a alt right fash game because he so fundamentally misunderstood it?

He kept picking fashy racist options and was surprised that this meant he deliberately chose to play a fascist racist and the game acknowledged this.

He also did not realize the game was dunking on him for the choice he willingly made.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like the story in DE because depending on what you're looking to get out of it, you can see the politics as a metaphor for the personal, the personal as a metaphor for politics, or both at the same time. Getting into spoilers a little here but the love story at the center of Harry's history mirrors the fanaticism and feelings of abandonment that drives the culprit at the center of the murder mystery, and it's potentially spelled out pretty early on by the talking corpse who equates love and communism when he reveals his cause of death. -- I feel like it's probably written with the intent for you to consider both, but there's a very interesting political history in the world running parallel with a really effective character driven story, and if you care about one but not the other there's still something you can take away from it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I guess mindustry isn't a hidden gem since it's got a lot of reviews, but I've got to say I'm enjoying it. It's surprisingly "more-ish," I kind of had to tear myself away from it. Wish I'd had it as a kid.

I haven't played those factory games so I can't compare it to them, but I recommend it as a person who didn't get into rimworld or terraria, but quite like opus magnum. I know, different genres. But just to map it in the constellation of preferences.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

tithin posted:

I found DE boring because I'm the kinda dude who wants the best ending and trying to brute force skill checks is boring, anyway, I played a bit, opened a gate, reloaded the Cujo fight a few times until I won, then I got sick of it and quit.

I'm sure it is a great game, but it's not my great game and I'm happy for the people who enjoy it.

Yes, you're not going to enjoy Disco Elysium if you play it this way. The best ending happens when you allow your failures to matter and have impact on the game.

I'm sorry you played it wrong and deprived yourself of a great ending.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also couldn't really get into DE at all. It was hard to go into a game with an open mind with all the hype, but even so the strange skill system, depressing feel of the world and the amount of dialogue just pushed me away pretty fast. Another similar experience was Undertale, which was also hyped for the dialogue and story and even though I found the combat fun, the story didn't do much so I dropped it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
DE is a lot of :words: and even with voice acting it's still very :words: so I understand that some folk can't get into it.

Now the powergamers that REFUSE to allow a roll to fail and savescum the game, those people are Wrong.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You obviously won't get DE if you're not HARD CORE

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DE is definitely extremely extremely anti-perfectionist play but that's a good thing in fact. It would otherwise contradict one of it's main points.
You have to learn to deal with your failures.

Also, there are a bunch of objectively better outcomes that come exclusively from failing skill checks.

EDIT: The whole "Quit DE because it's too much :words:" is more depressing than Harry's life because the game's writing is already arranged in such a way as to imitate a Twitter feed, for low attention span zoomers, and it was still not enough apparently. jfc

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 25, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: The whole "Quit DE because it's too much :words:" is more depressing than Harry's life because the game's writing is already arranged in such a way as to imitate a Twitter feed, for low attention span zoomers, and it was still not enough apparently. jfc
I loved DE and think everyone should try it but this is taking things a little too far. Some people don't want to play a game where they have to sit around reading a lot of words, and that's fine. It doesn't mean that they're "low attention span zoomers" or whatever kids-these-days phrase you want to use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I loved DE and think everyone should try it but this is taking things a little too far. Some people don't want to play a game where they have to sit around reading a lot of words, and that's fine. It doesn't mean that they're "low attention span zoomers" or whatever kids-these-days phrase you want to use.

I would understand not wanting to even try playing DE in the first place because of that but how exactly do you look at anything DE related and then don't have the expectation of it being a primarily narrative focused game?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Thinking of installing Hotline Miami 2 and dicking around with it. It's been a long time and those silly sons of guns at Dennaton are apparently coming out with a new game sometime sooner than later, so I may as well go through it again.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hell I'm pushing 40 and my attention span now is probably worse than it's ever been in my life

That said I adored Disco Elysium and it's easily one of my favourite games of the last decade. Did that happen partially because I waited until the Final Cut update added near total voice acting, basically turning it into an audio book? Who can say, but it probably helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Delsaber posted:

Hell I'm pushing 40 and my attention span now is probably worse than it's ever been in my life

Same, I no longer have the patience to play some of my beloved retro games which send you all the way back if you die, save states work wonders for game enjoyment.