Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

They don't have a way to do this or an explanation of how the block chain would be a better implementation than any other way, they're just asking questions.

Nice, harmless questions, like "do you know a way to get a thousand dollars right now," and "what if you could be the one in charge?"

Always the promise of a better tomorrow and the solution to your problems (or at least someone to blame them on), never a plan to build it that holds up to the slightest scrutiny. Getting you to dream your own dream means you have to kill that dream if you say no to the crypto.

You don't even have to change anything to get there! But they do need that grand first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
just write your weirdo harry/dobby stuff don't bring finance into it

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

If you own controlling shares in the book itself, you don't have to do the grunt work. You get to make the author write your ideas. Everyone knows Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the literary world's most popular zombie mod. But how much better would it be if the original creator was involved?

I think Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell would be a whole lot more interesting if Orcs invaded, but Susanna Clarke refuses to do that.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

But how else will the rest of my fanfic subreddit know that I’m a big time money guy on the way to the moon?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
It’s royalties and copyright. They’ve reinvented royalties and copyright, but with the blockchain. If you wanted to set up this bizarre form of ownership and rent seeking, you could do it with regular contracts. Again this is not a scenario where the blockchain is even needed.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Me, as I walk away from a presentation on how you too can make money by being an early adopter of a brand new urban fantasy detective series, if you just make all of your friends and family read it: "And when everything is a Ponzi scheme, nothing will be."

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 25, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Why buy a book for $8 from Amazon if the floor price is $760? Stupid plebs. I'm going to be a billionaire investing in this Larry Potters book!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
you can tell this was written by a coiner because they've clearly never read any sort of book themselves in their life

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
In this system are libraries the equivalent of right clicking an NFT?

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Zathril posted:

In this system are libraries

Let me stop you right there

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Imagine there no blockchain
It's easy if you try
I lost my life savings investing in Elon Lennon
And now I want to die

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't sing that verse at my wedding.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Cantorsdust posted:

It’s royalties and copyright. They’ve reinvented royalties and copyright, but with the blockchain. If you wanted to set up this bizarre form of ownership and rent seeking, you could do it with regular contracts. Again this is not a scenario where the blockchain is even needed.

I'm gonna blow their mind by telling them how they can have part ownership in the Mickey Mouse IP.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Fight club, but you own part of it!

ONE OF US
ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Anyway, it's worthless now and all your book rugs got pulled too.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Agents are GO! posted:

A lotta y'all coiners still don't get it, your mom can slurp the same ape multiple times, because she's insatiable.

My kinda lady, anybody got his mom’s number?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Why is The Shaggs trading so high right now?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This is incredible. They're smashing two things together: turning authorship into a stock market(????????) and crypto technology and trying to argue that these two concepts are inseparable. Taking the crypto out of it just lays bare what an absurd idea it actually is. "Investing" in a book and having it pay out if it becomes a runaway hit. Nevermind the fact that barely a fraction of a percent of all books published makes anything at all, and smaller still become hits. God. These idiots have never been to a book fair and observed who really is buying the majority of books.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
*at work, sees a new Microsoft feature, takes a look*

What the gently caress is this ION bullshit: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/verifiable-credentials/decentralized-identifier-overview

"Libraries include creating a new DID, generating keys and anchoring your DID on the Bitcoin blockchain."

what the gently caress

what in the actual gently caress, microsoft

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Also 'Often referred to as “the web version 3.0” or “web3” (the internet being “web2”)'

That article is written by the person its interviewing. Not a single dissenting voice (although it's so fricking long I gave up).

Journalism this dead is embarrassing.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

SettingSun posted:

This is incredible. They're smashing two things together: turning authorship into a stock market(????????) and crypto technology and trying to argue that these two concepts are inseparable. Taking the crypto out of it just lays bare what an absurd idea it actually is. "Investing" in a book and having it pay out if it becomes a runaway hit. Nevermind the fact that barely a fraction of a percent of all books published makes anything at all, and smaller still become hits. God. These idiots have never been to a book fair and observed who really is buying the majority of books.

"Suddenly a Trip to Barnes & Noble becomes an investment opportunity", loving LOL. Even if this goofy literary investment scheme somehow worked, in what universe would your research start by browsing a store whose business strategy depends on already selling mass popular books? The "investment" value is already priced-in, just look at the sticker on the back of the jacket. God, this is lazy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Betjeman posted:

Also 'Often referred to as “the web version 3.0” or “web3” (the internet being “web2”)'

That article is written by the person its interviewing. Not a single dissenting voice (although it's so fricking long I gave up).

Journalism this dead is embarrassing.

If one more crypto bro links an obviously biased blogpost-level "source" I'm probably going to have that aneurysm that I'm probably well overdue for by now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

tehinternet posted:

*at work, sees a new Microsoft feature, takes a look*

What the gently caress is this ION bullshit: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/verifiable-credentials/decentralized-identifier-overview

"Libraries include creating a new DID, generating keys and anchoring your DID on the Bitcoin blockchain."

what the gently caress

what in the actual gently caress, microsoft

LOL, getting fired but you can't update the DID blockchain so you're still able to get into buildings forever.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Well folks, time to close the thread. There's not one, but thirty five very good web3 ideas here (copied for your reading pleasure from twitter)

quote:

1. Amazon logistics

Instead of having large distribution centers, Use decentralized mini warehouses (e.g. your backyard) for storage & drivers pick up merchandises from closest storage location. Delivery fees paid in warehouse tokens are earned by warehouse owners.

2. Meta / Facebook

Users earn the platform token by posting and commenting. Amount earned is based on popularity of content posted. Advertisers pay for ads in the platform token.

3. Google

If the search engine / browser records any user data—e.g. demographic, behavioral— into its database, user earns the platform token. Advertisers pay in platform token to access the database.

4. Costco

Customers purchase store membership in NFT. They can rent out the NFT on 2ndary mkt to others who want access to Costco discounts but don’t shop frequently. Members get rental incomes. Costco gets more customers.

5. Pepsi

Pepsi owns dozens of food & beverage brands & regularly acquire new ones. A PepsiCo utility token— which customers can earn when buying from one brand & spend on another brand— could help Pepsi grow new brands by leveraging customers from existing brands it owns.

6. Comcast / Xfinity

Comcast operates a public WiFi network, which consist of hotspots in public locations, businesses & home gateways. A utility token supported by network revenue, which users can earn when providing hotspot service would improve WiFi coverage & user loyalty.

7. Netflix

Airdrop Netflix tokens to users-> Let users “stake” tokens on pilot shows they like-> Users earn partial streaming revenue from those shows. Now users have more incentive to help promote their favorite shows which attract more subscribers.

8. American Electric Power Company

User tokenization to incentivize development of distributed renewable power generation from small hydro, biomass, solar, wind & geothermal generators, w/o upfront cash investment from the company.

9. PayPal

PayPal already lets users buy crypto in their app. Next step is to evolve into KYC-ed DeFi. E.g. let users contribute their crypto balances to liquidity pools hosted on PayPal to facilitate token swaps & earn a txn fee.

10. Mercado Libre

Use tokenization to drive traffic & give marketplace vendors more incentive. Vendors earn tokens when the customers they attract to platform make purchases. Vendors can then give the tokens to customers as discount or use tokens to pay for platform commissions.

11. Zoom

Switch the video transcoding process from centralized servers to allow individuals to transcode from their own computers. Instead of paying subscription fee, users pay in tokens directly to transcoders when they have a video call.

12. Airbnb

Hosts & guests earn Airbnb tokens when they receive good reviews. They can use tokens to pay for future booking fees, or lower commission charges, or sell tokens on 2ndary mkt to monetize their rewards of being good participants on the platform.

13. Lululemon Athletics

Social media influencers post pictures in Lululemon outfits & earn Lulu tokens according to popularity of their post. They can give tokens to their audience to redeem for products. Part of company revenues are used to buy their own tokens on 2ndary mkt.

14. Starbucks

Allow customers to monetize their loyalty by earning Starbucks points in tradable token format. Customers can stake tokens to get tiered discounts in future.

15. DocuSign

Users earn utility tokens when the person they send a document to also signs up for a DocuSign account. The utility token can be used to pay for subscription fee at small discount.

16. McDonald’s

A franchise DAO where the DAO token represents pooled resources from members, allows members to vote on new franchise locations & receive yields from profits of the DAO’s portfolio of franchises.

17. Disney

Customers earn upgradable Disney NFTs whenever they make purchase or interact w/ the brand’s array of products. Different tiers of NFTs in wallet unlocks different future perks & discounts.

18. Nike

NFTs matched one-to-one w/ limited-edition shoes maintain rarity even after physical shoes are worn out & gone. A collection of rare sneaker NFTs becomes a store of value, which gives more incentive for customers to buy rare sneakers & allows higher price premium.

19. Illumina

Anyone that has their genome sequenced & contributes to the global DNA database gets an airdrop of DNA token. Medical companies & research orgs pay to access database. Revenues are used to market-buy the DNA tokens.

20. Activision Blizzard

Gamers earn the platform token whenever they play the company’s portfolio of games or participate in player communities. Earn rate is higher for new games. Part of revenues from all game sales are used for token buyback.

21. Fidelity

Create a marketplace for mutual funds of tokenized assets. Anybody can set up a fund & anybody can invest in fund tokens. Performances are transparent w/ data tracked on blockchain. The platform curates, filters & helps users discover funds.

22. Monster Beverage

Energy drink is a commodity. 90% of company value is intangible brand equity. Many ways to use DAO & NFT to encourage participation in brand. E.g. Monster DAO to let customers vote on new flavors / designs & earn tokens, which are used to redeem products.

23. Digital Realty Trust

Use token sales to finance investments in new data centers. Customers of the data centers need to pay for usage in the said token.

24. Visa Inc.

Interchange fees on credit card txns are high partly to cover fraud/chargeback costs. Blockchain wallet txn data is open & free. Analyze the data to determine credit worthiness of a user & offer cards w/ lower interchange fees to quality users.

25. Equifax Inc.

Equifax collects & sells consumer credit data to b2b customers. A web3 competitor can give tokens to individuals it collects data from & buy tokens on 2ndary mk w/ revenues from data sales. Token incentive encourages self reporting & help build database quickly.

26. Southwest Airlines Tokenize airline miles to allow 2ndary mkt exchanges. Token price serves as “automatic stabilizer” of airline demand. When demand drops-> token price is lower-> encourage more token redemption for plane tickets-> increase demand. Vice versa.

27. Ulta Beauty

Create a governance token that lets customers vote on which brands to introduce / kick out of Ulta stores. Voting customers get perks & discounts from brands they chose. Organic marketing & increased customer engagement.

28. Estée Lauder Companies Instead of paying Kendall Jenner top advertising $, give customers tokens to try new products & buy tokens back w/ product profits. P.S. Cosmetics biz disrupter of future would be customer-owned to share high biz margin w/ users to grow faster.

29. http://match.com / Tinder

Incentivize users to input personal data w/ token airdrops. Data is used to improve platform algorithms to increase chances of matches. Additional airdrops if user invites friends. Tokens can be applied towards paying subscription fees.

30. Etsy Inc.

Merchants earn Etsy utility tokens when they attract new customers to the platform. Tokens can be used to pay future platform fees. Staking tokens gives merchants rights to vote on certain operation decisions of platform.

31. Planet Fitness

Gyms make $ by having members who don’t go to gym. Industry disruptor would do opposite. Charge higher fee. Reward members w/ tokens for actually working out. Partner w/ health agencies & insurance companies to support token price.

32. http://booking.com

Use tokenization to increase repeat customers & lower advertising cost. Grant users tokens when booking hotels through the site. Tokens can be used to get discounts on future bookings.

33. Public Storage

Instead of running centralized self-storage service, create mkt place to match storage demand w/ users who have extra space in home/office. To bootstrap growth, users on both sides get token allocations, the value of which is supported by platform txn fees.

34. Zillow

Advertisers pay partial fees in Zillow tokens. If users end up renting / buying a property they found via the platform, they get a rebate in tokens. Creating listings also earns tokens. I.e. tokenization supports growth of both sides of mkt place.

35. DoorDash

Restaurants earn tokens when they direct customer traffic to the platform & use platform for payment processing. The higher a merchant’s token balance, the lower commission they pay. Use savings on ad spending to reduce fees for both merchants & customers.

just kidding, these are all terrible

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

All of those are fascinatingly stupid, but that first one and how little this person understands the scale of logistics just baffles me.

Bitcoin and crypto: It's all poo poo. All the way down.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

divabot posted:

you can tell this was written by a coiner because they've clearly never read any sort of book themselves in their life

they might have read spark notes, the wikipedia summary, and listen to a audiobook they listened to a youtuber that has the dumbest wrongest take.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Shmtur posted:

All of those are fascinatingly stupid, but that first one and how little this person understands the scale of logistics just baffles me.

um, i think youll find that "decentralize" is a synonym for "improve"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I, too, want a miniature Amazon warehouse in my backyard.

My own "Slice of Paradise" if you will.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The logic behind all of these is just literally "can you represent something as an object in a programming language? Okay then it's a token on a blockchain".

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

well, in addition to reinventing royalties and copyright, but worse, they also reinvented "corporate stock", but worse. we know this because the goddamn opening paragraph literally says what if "buy stock", then describes the centuries-old concept of stocks, but on the blockchain for some reason

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Noun = token
Verb = start contract

Okay I'm ready to analyze every business practice ever invented.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i really dont understand why even these crypto psychos want bitcoin to infest every single aspect of their lives

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Zokari posted:

i really dont understand why even these crypto psychos want bitcoin to infest every single aspect of their lives

The more bitcoins there are, the more suckers buy in below me on the pyramid, the more money I personally stand to make

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Put all my money on the stockchain, wiped out on block Tuesday.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because their real lives suck and they want this ONE WEIRD TRICK to make it better.

also some of them are stupid and/or have gambling addictions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"Users earn $TOKEN for [whatever]." And yet they never answer (or rather, never questioned on) why they could not just be paid in dollars.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

The logic behind all of these is just literally "can you represent something as an object in a programming language? Okay then it's a token on a blockchain".

It's the gamification of every single tangible object or intangible concept. Bitcoin panders to idiots.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SettingSun posted:

"Users earn $TOKEN for [whatever]." And yet they never answer (or rather, never questioned on) why they could not just be paid in dollars.

If the inventor had a bunch of dollars it would use them.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

drk posted:

Well folks, time to close the thread. There's not one, but thirty five very good web3 ideas here (copied for your reading pleasure from twitter)

just kidding, these are all terrible

The incredible stupidity of #1 aside, like a solid 60% of those are just "what if customer rewards/referral bonuses, but ON THE BLOCKCHAIN????"

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

what if buy 10 sandwiches get 1 free, but on the blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

SettingSun posted:

yeah, putting "blockchain" on this is just layering a shiny form of stupid on top of a more complex form of stupid, to distract from how stupid the whole question is. setting aside the social problems with encouraging this insane cargo-cultish mapping of market economics onto the creative act of writing, the technical problem with turning books from unknown authors into securities is in identifying which one might be a good investment, not in creating a legal vehicle for investment. Intellectual property rights for brand-new creative works from unknown authors are purely speculative investments. The reason people don't securitize these things is because history shows that a marketplace for such things would be indistinguishable from gambling and rife with scams, and there's a bunch of securities laws in place to discourage it for that reason.

Now, if you've already got some form of IP that has established popularity and a track-record of being monetized, feel free to shove that in a corporation and put those securities up for sale, you don't need any "blockchain" poo poo. If you would like to invest in something that lets you take a cut of the revenues generated by Mickey Mouse, Luke Skywalker, and Captain America, shares of DIS are available for purchase with the help of a variety of brokerage services.

Zokari posted:

imo, a whole lot of crypto behavior is easy to understand once you realize that most of the crypto ecosystem is a cargo-cult mimicry of actual financial markets, and they're all constantly cosplaying as savvy Wall St. investment bankers who are about to make it rich on some brilliant trade.