Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zokari posted:

what if buy 10 sandwiches get 1 free, but on the blockchain

You can't dispute that I earned a free sandwich! The Blockchain says so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SettingSun posted:

"Users earn $TOKEN for [whatever]." And yet they never answer (or rather, never questioned on) why they could not just be paid in dollars.

Because if they got paid in dollars it would be a security, silly billy.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol, yes lets do Amazon inventory management in your backyard. lol

Easy cycle counts at millions of decentralized locations...what could possible go wrong!

I mean it's stupid on it's face, but when you think about it even a little bit its never ending bottom of how stupid it is.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

"Suddenly a Trip to Barnes & Noble becomes an investment opportunity", loving LOL. Even if this goofy literary investment scheme somehow worked, in what universe would your research start by browsing a store whose business strategy depends on already selling mass popular books? The "investment" value is already priced-in, just look at the sticker on the back of the jacket. God, this is lazy.

Brb investing in shadow the hedgehog erotica

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Well what if you assume truck speed and search speed for objects not only go FTL, but have inf speed?

you instantly find an item in someones back yard in america in the world and even if the object and delivery site are antipodes it gets deliveryed in 0 seconds.

bad number = 0 or go down, my good number go up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zokari posted:

Now imagine you could sell your free sandwich. And then earn money every time someone buys your free sandwich.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

They should bring back debtors prisons but specifically for bitcoin losers who took out bank loans to gamble.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just imagine! What if you could have been one of the first 10 customers to ever buy a Big Mac, and now you get 5% of every Big Mac sold?! This is only possible on the blockchain, and is a very good idea!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Paladinus posted:

Now imagine you could sell your free sandwich. And then earn money every time someone buys your free sandwich.

Help, someone put a fake sandwich in my wallet. Now all my sandwiches are gone

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When you intersect the two ideas of 1. I need to find a way to be richer than everyone else and 2. I need to preach about how great it is and get everyone else doing it, you can ONLY come up with a pyramid scheme.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Salt Fish posted:

When you intersect the two ideas of 1. I need to find a way to be richer than everyone else and 2. I need to preach about how great it is and get everyone else doing it, you can ONLY come up with a pyramid scheme.

Excuse me, this pyramid scheme is decentralized, and it's classy. :colbert:

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1551602159250276355

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1551606501252399104

gregday fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 25, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Price surging insulin, but on the blockchain

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Watch him go back to jail for a loving NFT, cause he's just that goddamn greedy LOL.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How is Shkreli, the man with the world’s most deservedly punchable face, able to roam free and unpunched. Smh.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

"hello, mr. SEC? I've got another great 'this crypto is a security' test case with the perfect villain defendant for you"

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Watch him go back to jail for a loving NFT, cause he's just that goddamn greedy LOL.

This would be the correct outcome, and not even remotely surprising. Though him coming to crypto shows you exactly where crypto is going, for sure. Web3 drug delivery :lol:. So now, it's almost like you get insulin, except you have an NFT and you die from a lack of insulin. Perfect!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

"hello, mr. SEC? I've got another great 'this crypto is a security' test case with the perfect villain defendant for you"

The white paper starts out with the sentence: "Nothing in this White Paper is an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to buy, any tokens".

Checkmate, SEC, they have a disclaimer

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LifeSunDeath posted:

This has to be a slam dunk case for any prosecutor.
:cop: “Don’t do anything with the pharmaceutical industry.”
:agesilaus: “Yes, I agree to that lifetime ban to have a shorter prison sentence.”
*serves time*
:agesilaus: “I will now combine the pharmaceutical industry with Blockchain and NFTs.”
:cop: “Did I stutter?”

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Protocol7 posted:

I, too, want a miniature Amazon warehouse in my backyard.

My own "Slice of Paradise" if you will.

Finally, those horse dildos I’ve been stockpiling in the back shed are gonna pay off

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I don't know about you guys but I look forward to a future where every aspect of my life is a gamified microtransaction that's part of an opaque and sprawling investment scheme that enriches a small group of people that does not include me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I could swear there was an actual company based on the idea that they would install the equivalent of a hotel minibar with items that you might want (soft drinks, detergent, condoms, etc) and charged you based on consumption.

Like, it was a company that people actually took seriously as a concept. I guess the closest thing actually on the market is the boxes in Ubers that sell snacks and such.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Zokari posted:

A sub shop punch card that can destroy both graphics cards and ice caps.

What a time to be alive...

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I could swear there was an actual company based on the idea that they would install the equivalent of a hotel minibar with items that you might want (soft drinks, detergent, condoms, etc) and charged you based on consumption.

Like, it was a company that people actually took seriously as a concept. I guess the closest thing actually on the market is the boxes in Ubers that sell snacks and such.

Was it Bodega?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

"Users earn $TOKEN for [whatever]." And yet they never answer (or rather, never questioned on) why they could not just be paid in dollars.

Well obviously with millions of users they'd be paying out fractions of a penny. But saying that out loud makes the whole thing look stupid, so instead we're going to be paying users in a rapidly incrementing number in a database!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

You can't dispute that I earned a free sandwich! The Blockchain says so!

You can't eat a blockchain, silly.

So I listened to a New York Times podcast this morning about the Celsius implosion, in the broader context of the general crypto implosion.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4lQVKFUbqsg28ctoRaObvA?si=0f6eb234a3d34368

Here's an issue that I have. The podcast does mention that in the early days of bitcoin that its main use was illicit transactions and references Silk Road.

But once they get into "mainstreaming" of crypto during the Covid pandemic (Matt Damon Super Bowl ad etc.) there's no longer any discussion of whether in all these years whether crypto is actually being "adopted" or used as a currency rather than a speculative store of value. I mean discussing this critical aspect, are the pogs being used for the purpose that is supposed to be their reason for existing, and the fact that they are not, is very revealing of the fact that crypto is just TulipMania 2022.

Does ANY mainstream or financial news media coverage of crypto ever get into whether it's getting into broader use as an actual currency anymore?

I mean when they talk about regular Joes "getting into" crypto they're just talking about people throwing US dollars or other real currency at a Bored Ape idol in the hopes that the crypto gods will reward their sacrifice, they're not talking about those regular Joes making mortgage or tax payments with crypto.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Gonna need a new edition

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

drk posted:

33. Public Storage

Instead of running centralized self-storage service, create mkt place to match storage demand w/ users who have extra space in home/office. To bootstrap growth, users on both sides get token allocations, the value of which is supported by platform txn fees.

Just gonna store some stuff at a stranger's house.

Just gonna let some stranger store some stuff at my house.

Nothing could go wrong.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zwabu posted:

You can't eat a blockchain, silly.

So I listened to a New York Times podcast this morning about the Celsius implosion, in the broader context of the general crypto implosion.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4lQVKFUbqsg28ctoRaObvA?si=0f6eb234a3d34368

Here's an issue that I have. The podcast does mention that in the early days of bitcoin that its main use was illicit transactions and references Silk Road.

But once they get into "mainstreaming" of crypto during the Covid pandemic (Matt Damon Super Bowl ad etc.) there's no longer any discussion of whether in all these years whether crypto is actually being "adopted" or used as a currency rather than a speculative store of value. I mean discussing this critical aspect, are the pogs being used for the purpose that is supposed to be their reason for existing, and the fact that they are not, is very revealing of the fact that crypto is just TulipMania 2022.

Does ANY mainstream or financial news media coverage of crypto ever get into whether it's getting into broader use as an actual currency anymore?

I mean when they talk about regular Joes "getting into" crypto they're just talking about people throwing US dollars or other real currency at a Bored Ape idol in the hopes that the crypto gods will reward their sacrifice, they're not talking about those regular Joes making mortgage or tax payments with crypto.

NYT has been notoriously bad about this because they have Kevin Roose as their "crypto guy" who is a complete shill but likes to pretend he isn't.

I don't know about financial news outlets, a lot of them seem to have ties to bigger crypto institutions in some way. Forbes and FTX released a token together.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't know about you guys but I look forward to a future where every aspect of my life is a gamified microtransaction that's part of an opaque and sprawling investment scheme that enriches a small group of people that does not include me.

Nobody wants this future except the people who are financially invested in it, and their goal is to get everyone equally invested in this, a less efficient, less secure, more expensive future. You will own crypto and you will be happy.

It's the perfect capstone to this era of conmen and grift. A thick layer of poo poo icing on a mud pie of 21st century civil life in freefall. Bazinga!

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 25, 2022

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Astrochicken posted:

You will own crypto and you will be happy.

https://twitter.com/FinancialProTip/status/1486248150906150912?s=20&t=iQ83vBx7Cz9YhYTgog2tbA

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This would be the correct outcome, and not even remotely surprising. Though him coming to crypto shows you exactly where crypto is going, for sure. Web3 drug delivery :lol:. So now, it's almost like you get insulin, except you have an NFT and you die from a lack of insulin. Perfect!

Lol, the company is even better than that. It looks like it's a company that uses distributed computer networking to "decode solutions" that will help the company discover the next new miracle drug.

quote:

Druglike is building a decentralized computing network which provides resources for anyone looking to start or contribute to early-stage drug discovery projects. Unlike competitors, Druglike will be web-based and completely free to use. Druglike will soon release a web-based suite for target identification, drug design, and tools for both constructing and running large-scale virtual screening workflows.

Sounds like a scam within a bigger scam!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
spending computing power on drug research? brilliant! i love it! now if only we had a bunch of powerful computers we could point at this problem

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So this current venture is basically just Folding@Home but the worst people are going to be the ones profiting off of it, but you might get some scraps if it pans out (and you're not screwed over)?

I mean, putting processing power to work doing something actually worth crunching numbers over is better than most Crypto, but lmao if this is anything but a brazen scam.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Deki posted:

So this current venture is basically just Folding@Home but the worst people are going to be the ones profiting off of it, but you might get some scraps if it pans out (and you're not screwed over)?

I mean, putting processing power to work doing something actually worth crunching numbers over is better than most Crypto, but lmao if this is anything but a brazen scam.

A significant portion of the whitepaper is them trying to solve the "but what if people cheat because they get paid per result" problem

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Molly's Discord conversation with Martin Shkreli needs to be highlighted, because man, he is a smarmy, catty little bitch with very bad lawyers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dammit now I need a new monitor

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Molly's Discord conversation with Martin Shkreli needs to be highlighted, because man, he is a smarmy, catty little bitch with very bad lawyers.

convicted securities fraudster who is banned forever from being anywhere near publicly-traded companies generally and the pharmaceutical industry specifically, and who decides to dive in to pharmaceutical-adjacent don't-call-it-a-security "tokens" immediately after release from prison, is destined to be an all-time champion terrible horrible no-good legal client. I can't wait to read the insane profiles about whatever late-stage Lin Wood-type lawyers take him on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Blotto_Otter posted:

convicted securities fraudster who is banned forever from being anywhere near publicly-traded companies generally and the pharmaceutical industry specifically, and who decides to dive in to pharmaceutical-adjacent don't-call-it-a-security "tokens" immediately after release from prison, is destined to be an all-time champion terrible horrible no-good legal client. I can't wait to read the insane profiles about whatever late-stage Lin Wood-type lawyers take him on

He just wants to help people.