Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Someone said it earlier but I think putting the show behind a paywall really killed whackpack. Riley, ETM, Elliot Ofen, Angry Alice, etc, all started out as random callers. It didn't take long for Sirius' call to just be from superfans who would ask Howard what kind of dresses Beth likes.

I know its cliche and but to me the show died once Howard and Beth got married. That "When I see Beth smiling" song would have been laughed at for weeks if it was anyone else. And then the guy that wrote went and died so Howard kinda had no choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Last Chance posted:

the show truly died with Eric the Actor

Am-....... en.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I was just about to send the Howard Stern Show Megathread a post, Robin.

Honestly, this thread dying on the vine isn't all that surprising given that it pretty much mirrors the trajectory and current status of the show itself. No one listens to it anymore, Howard's hardly ever even on air these days, he's gotten soft and lazy, he's relegated to mostly B or C tier interviews and no one under the age of 45 or 50 really gives much of a poo poo about him at all.

I think Howard gets a lot of A-listers but it's people that Gen Z care about. The reason he's gotten bigger name guests is because he's softer and panders to them like he never used to do. The interviews are not interesting or entertaining in any way at all and that's why they do the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Moniker posted:

I think Howard gets a lot of A-listers but it's people that Gen Z care about. The reason he's gotten bigger name guests is because he's softer and panders to them like he never used to do. The interviews are not interesting or entertaining in any way at all and that's why they do the show.

AND he compiled all of those interviews in a book! :allears:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

the show truly died with Eric the Actor

:same:

I think I stopped listening not long after that. I luckily missed all the AGT content thank God.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Kragger99 posted:

I think I stopped listening not long after that. I luckily missed all the AGT content thank God.

I don't remember there being a ton of AGT content. It was mostly just him complaining about having to work. The bigger problem is that he has committed at least an hour a week to talking about reality dating shows for like a decade now.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Grant DaNasty posted:

I know of Marci Turk from the Howard Stern threads, both here and Reddit. I don't know much about Memet besides he beat Brent Hatley in an IQ test. Wasn't he a Trump supporter or something? I don't know anything about Chris Wilding.

I haven't been a subscriber of Sirius since Artie left but I have seen some post 2010 YouTube clips since then, mostly wackpacker related stuff like Eric the Midget. I know Jon Lieberman from the Wackpacker Embedded videos, and I know Jon Lieberman was hired because he's Jewish!

edit: I've never listened to Howard's "Millie Bobby Brown's agent" but I've read people complaining about it.

Memet:

1) Has the absolute hottest SO in the show's history IMO.
2) Beat Brent in an IQ test which was a nice nail in the coffin of the downfall of Brent.
3) Might've been a Trump guy but IMO he was playing a character to get on the air and it worked. People think he is some dumb guy but I suspect he was just acting to get on air. Like Sal to some degree.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

It didn't take long for Sirius' call to just be from superfans who would ask Howard what kind of dresses Beth likes.

I haven’t listened for a long time but this still made me shudder and say “loving bobo”

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Moniker posted:

3) Might've been a Trump guy but IMO he was playing a character to get on the air and it worked. People think he is some dumb guy but I suspect he was just acting to get on air. Like Sal to some degree.

100%.

Early on, Memet on the air was the real Memet -- a bit insecure and self conscious, liked to brag but didn't like getting made fun of. His "I'm a broken man!" breakdown where he went and hid somewhere in the building was that version of Memet's last "appearance".

Thereafter, he made his heel turn and started outright trolling, much like what I think Benjy does, and unlike the ridiculous claims made by Robin and ETM, is truly playing a character. His "Times Square billboard pitch" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHyTn6ZbZm8) is a perfect example of this (watch the subtle move after he sprays the lotion and where he puts it).

He is/was fantastic at getting under Gary's skin, too, which is always appreciated, because he knows how insecure Gary is and exploits it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Lifespan posted:

Honest question, does anyone who participates in this thread still listen to the show? I feel like I was one of the stalwarts but even I jumped ship at the beginning of the year.

Tbh I think the only totally contiguous episode I've ever watched is the first one that Riley Martin was on, which was, what -- 23 years ago or some poo poo? I don't know, my uncle had E! episodes on VHS, and my mom & I didn't have cable at home so there weren't any opportunities to watch them by myself. I fell down an ETA rabbithole on YouTube over a decade ago, and the rest was history.

I definitely never heard a whole Sirius episode.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lifespan posted:

I don't remember there being a ton of AGT content. It was mostly just him complaining about having to work. The bigger problem is that he has committed at least an hour a week to talking about reality dating shows for like a decade now.

The "Should Beth O. do Dancing with the Stars?" stuff was wayyy worse

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I haven’t listened for a long time but this still made me shudder and say “loving bobo”

John Boy was 100x worse

Also I was just about to write Paul Sorvino a note

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Bobo is an idiot and a phony, so there are occasions when the show could turn that in to some funny stuff. AA was by far the worst caller the show ever had.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Why was Chuck Zito on so many times?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
The only funny Chuck Zito moment is when he was in the Scores bathroom explaining to Ralph why he deserved to get punch in the face when he was behaving like a drunk rear end in a top hat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Why was Chuck Zito on so many times?

Because, to Howard and the rest of the crew (Gary), he's a real man's man.

He also does that dumb poo poo thing of refusing to actually act as anything he wouldn't be IRL, like gay.

I mean, I get the whole typecasting thing a bit; Dylan Baker still comes across as a weird pedophile to me, thanks to Todd Solondz' "Happiness", but as far as I know, he's not actually one. (ACTING!!!)

Man, Eric could've played a gay cowboy yodelling on a submarine...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Bobo is an idiot and a phony, so there are occasions when the show could turn that in to some funny stuff. AA was by far the worst caller the show ever had.

Obviously him being a convicted sex offender is the worst thing about him but carrying around that stupid wrestling belt is a very close second

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Lifespan posted:

Bobo is an idiot and a phony, so there are occasions when the show could turn that in to some funny stuff.

That said, the bit where they "convince him" that the apocalypse is upon them or whatever is the most cringeworthy bit I've ever seen in my life

quote:

AA was by far the worst caller the show ever had.

Bigfoot Jr. is worse imho

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Bigfoot Jr. is worse imho

I don't think he's a "caller" in the same way that a Double A / MFB / Bobo is a caller.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I look at the show the same way I look at the Simpsons. Loved it back in the day, and will still catch old episodes if I can. You couldn't pay me to watch a new episode of the Simpsons, even though I love the Simpsons.

Someone make a meme of Eric paused, then baloons pop out of his wheelchair and saying " I have to go. My Planet needs me" and he flies away

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

“Shut.. up.. Robin, you cackling.. bitch.”

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/w7vrt9/the_five_gummy_bear_diet/

God drat these two are hosed up. Live a little. Eat something. Drink a beer.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

kylej posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/w7vrt9/the_five_gummy_bear_diet/

God drat these two are hosed up. Live a little. Eat something. Drink a beer.

Remember when they used to have women in the studio to rate their looks and Howard and Ralph (the gall of loving RALPH of all people deciding he's qualified to rate how hot someone is STILL burns my rear end), no matter how thin the person was, ALWAYS claimed they needed to lose weight? Howard's ideal woman is an ironing board with fake breasts.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
And blonde hair, don't forget that.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I remember one time Howard asked KC why he never got real muscles despite working out all the time and KC pretty much told him "Because you eat like 500 calories a day" lol

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Howard has a boomer view of women. Pam Anderson and Heather Locklear are goddesses, everyone else is fat and gross.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

What does Beth have other than her looks?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bonzo posted:

She seems like a very nice person but I bet after five minutes of conversation you've heard everything she has to say

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bonzo posted:

A rich husband.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lifespan posted:

Honest question, does anyone who participates in this thread still listen to the show? I feel like I was one of the stalwarts but even I jumped ship at the beginning of the year.

I get Sirius free with my car and listen to the Wrap Up show maybe 1-2 times per week.

I could not imagine paying to listen to Stern at this point.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Bonzo posted:

She doesn't bust Howard's rear end about his hermit lifestyle and generally behaves out in public.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

kylej posted:

Howard has a boomer view of women. Pam Anderson and Heather Locklear and Nancy Sirianni are goddesses, everyone else is fat and gross.

Never forget

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I still have sirius, but I've found lots of other stuff to listen to. There are a ton of genres that I'd never have been exposed to had I not gotten it. Listening to Glenn Miller by a camp fire, and then changing the station and breaking it down to some Sly And The Family Stone is pretty sweet.

I know I can just get a usb or mp3 cd (in my older car) and put a billion songs on them, but I still like hearing "radio".

And I go to some out of the way places and sometimes up north, the only radio station is pretty awful except for hearing the weather.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, Sirius is great for discovering new (or new-to-me) music. The standup comedy channels are reliably entertaining as well. I spend a lot of time in my car, so it’s well worth the six dollars a month that Sirius’ customer reps always offer it to me for when I call them up threatening to cancel.

Fortunately, there is no Jokeman Channel, though I would not be at all surprised to learn that Jackie has pitched one.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkuck4vUVHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3d_AokYCgY

F JACKIE

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Moniker posted:

Memet:

1) Has the absolute hottest SO in the show's history IMO.
2) Beat Brent in an IQ test which was a nice nail in the coffin of the downfall of Brent.

Memet has a SO? Good for him, Last time I heard he was acting very hard up for physical contact and giving me incel vibes. My condolence to the lady he's dating.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Didn't they get married last year?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My gave up on the show thing was when Gwar learned that stupid song Howard wrote when he was a kid, then they played it on the wrap up show, not in studio. After that took my cc off the Sirius app and listened to every loving Gilbert podcast instead.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I am doctor remulak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Lifespan posted:

Didn't they get married last year?

Apparently so. According to this. https://www.howardstern.com/news/2021/09/27/memet-walker-reveals-hes-getting-married-on-a-live-show-day/ I read this, and genuinely wondered why I was ever into this show.