Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

how is my 87W macbook charger only a 'slow charger' on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the MBP charger I have here is 140W

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

You're loving something up somewhere, it only needs 30W

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rated PG-34 posted:

Don't apple bricks have internal tech to throttle anything that they don't recognize specifically as macs, or am I misremembering that nuance

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
My thought would be maybe the Deck really wants to charge at 15V - I charge it on a portable Anker 30W charger which puts out 2A at 15V and even though it's not the 45W of the included charger it doesn't complain. Meanwhile a quick search suggests the Mac 87W charger puts out 20, 9 and 5 volts over USB PD but not 15. On the other hand that new 140W charger will give out a full 5 amps at 15 volts which is more than enough to keep it happy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Also not all USBC cables support the same charge levels. USBC is a bit of a mess of a standard.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

uiruki posted:

My thought would be maybe the Deck really wants to charge at 15V - I charge it on a portable Anker 30W charger which puts out 2A at 15V and even though it's not the 45W of the included charger it doesn't complain. Meanwhile a quick search suggests the Mac 87W charger puts out 20, 9 and 5 volts over USB PD but not 15. On the other hand that new 140W charger will give out a full 5 amps at 15 volts which is more than enough to keep it happy.

This is the right answer. If it's not doing 15v then you are a slow charger.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

My Steam Deck gets 5+ hours of runtime while playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, the perfect videogame made even more perfect now that it's handheld. 10/10 would purchase steam deck again

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

uiruki posted:

Sigh. It’s still an improvement over everything having its own proprietary charger, but… wow USB is a mess these days.

Thanks, that explains that. It’s still good enough, especially to charge overnight which is usually good enough for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

triple sulk posted:

It shouldn't be hard to resell if I decide to, but I have the sinking feeling people are afraid to admit that it's a really flawed piece of hardware because that would admit to wasting money on it. The previous statement mostly applies to the 512GB model since I don't know if the value proposition is really there, and the reliance on Linux is arguably holding it back even further.

It's a $400 - $650 PC in a small handheld form-factor with a built-in screen. You will struggle to build a normal PC with no cooling concerns that performs this well for that kind of money, let alone a custom-designed portable device. I think your expectations were just too high.

It comes with compromises. We've known about those compromises from the start. Valve has been very open about how they're targeting 30 fps in modern games with this thing. But to be able to play modern AAA games at all, on a handheld that can do anything else you want too because it's a PC, is just really cool.

But no, everyone who says they like it must be deluding themselves. :rolleyes:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

triple sulk posted:

After a few days I'm pretty whelmed by this thing to be honest. I haven't touched it much aside from poking around in Skyrim a bit, and it just feels kinda pointless unless you totally want to play ROMs but never actually do that because the idea of it is more appealing than the reality of doing so when you played those games two decades ago. Loading up Doom, it seems to run like rear end in outdoor areas and I don't consider 30-35FPS at 720p to be a good benchmark for a six year old game with a what's supposed to be an incredible graphics engine. Rocket League and P4G run fine but... who cares?

The ergonomics are fine if not great (though the touchpads and back buttons feel useless), the battery life is pretty poo poo, and it just feels underpowered as a whole. I know we're not talking full console performance or anything but it seems to struggle with a modern games past 720p and I'm finding it hard to see the point. I have an A1 MicroSD which is supposedly useless for Windows and ordered one of the Samsung A2s. I figured I'd see if it was any better with Windows on it for certain games that don't work due in SteamOS to lack of EAC or something else, but I don't really have my hopes up. The built-in desktop mode is cute but feels a little bit hacky.

It shouldn't be hard to resell if I decide to, but I have the sinking feeling people are afraid to admit that it's a really flawed piece of hardware because that would admit to wasting money on it. The previous statement mostly applies to the 512GB model since I don't know if the value proposition is really there, and the reliance on Linux is arguably holding it back even further.

Am I missing something or is it just not for me?

Opening the Deck felt like a premium product, but then I started getting into it and remembered this is a really experimental device that requires you check video and control settings for each game, which seems absurd when you’re coming from a Switch.

I was really excited for the trackpads but so far they’re always way too sensitive and I just default to using the sticks. The shoulder buttons are hard for my index fingers to reach when I’m holding it which is a huge bummer. I agree the paddle buttons behind the grips are useless (to me) and also make holding it something I have to actively think about.

Maybe I need more time with it but I might end up selling it as well. I also have all consoles and a gaming pc so this was probably dumb purchase for me anyway but I can’t help myself :negative:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Also should be said it has been known because of the tdp and such that pushing above 720p was going to be a struggle for this device. And that you should perhaps drop your visuals to a more medium setting.

As for me, I'm currently deckless as I let my sister borrow for a month to try it out. I do have a desktop pc to play on while she has been attempting her gaming using a chromebook. So this is a major upgrade for her. For me in the time I played it, I found it a great way to get away from my desk chair and just lounge on the couch with in a more comfortable position.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You can play recent AAA games from the PS4 era (e.g. Death Stranding) that look outrageous in native screen rez at high/ultra at like stable 40-45FPS on a portable system with great controls, a great screen, and good speakers, and pay a whopping $550 for it. Or cheaper if you just want the barest bones one and throw in a $50 512GB SD card.

It's friggen' outrageous.

I get that if people wanted to play it docked at non-720p res, or their lifestyle and gaming habits made them have the desire to play a really high-end game for more than 2 hours before recharging, then I can get there might be some disappointment. For me it's largely it's exceeded my every expectation, which was entirely based around not being tied to a PC screen and instead playing on my sofa, in bed, or while traveling.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Opening the Deck felt like a premium product, but then I started getting into it and remembered this is a really experimental device that requires you check video and control settings for each game, which seems absurd when you’re coming from a Switch.

I was really excited for the trackpads but so far they’re always way too sensitive and I just default to using the sticks. The shoulder buttons are hard for my index fingers to reach when I’m holding it which is a huge bummer. I agree the paddle buttons behind the grips are useless (to me) and also make holding it something I have to actively think about.

Maybe I need more time with it but I might end up selling it as well. I also have all consoles and a gaming pc so this was probably dumb purchase for me anyway but I can’t help myself :negative:

Even when the Deck matures beyond being an "experimental device," you're still going to have to fine-tune controls and video settings, because it's a PC and not a console, and developers aren't targeting a single hardware SKU.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a $400 - $650 PC in a small handheld form-factor with a built-in screen. You will struggle to build a normal PC with no cooling concerns that performs this well for that kind of money, let alone a custom-designed portable device. I think your expectations were just too high.

It comes with compromises. We've known about those compromises from the start. Valve has been very open about how they're targeting 30 fps in modern games with this thing. But to be able to play modern AAA games at all, on a handheld that can do anything else you want too because it's a PC, is just really cool.

But no, everyone who says they like it must be deluding themselves. :rolleyes:

I put Crisis Core on it cause I'd never played it and the emulator via EmuDeck seems to just work, which is nice, and I might actually get 6.5 hours of battery life or so if the estimate was accurate. The contrast is firing up the Tales of Arise demo (didn't buy it on PS5 at release due to the demo being mediocre and iffy reviews) and it gets about an hour and a half.

I'm sure there's a middle ground but I'd hope something happens to make it better for AAA type games or even getting MMOs working well (or at all) out of the box since those are probably decent screw around games. Some of that depends on getting the publishers to comply since EAC is needed, but it feels like a major missed opportunity. I'm not sure what preparations occurred in the year between initial reservations and now but it feels like a lot of work still needs to happen, even around ideal configurations for performance if only to reduce the need for that much tinkering. Maybe that'll never happen but I'm sure you could aggregate user settings into an applied average.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Quixzlizx posted:

Even when the Deck matures beyond being an "experimental device," you're still going to have to fine-tune controls and video settings, because it's a PC and not a console, and developers aren't targeting a single hardware SKU.

Yep, such is the curse of PC gaming!

One thing I’m really impressed with is the resume time, it’s as fast as a switch which is pretty remarkable.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ShaneB posted:

You can play recent AAA games from the PS4 era (e.g. Death Stranding) that look outrageous in native screen rez at high/ultra at like stable 40-45FPS on a portable system with great controls, a great screen, and good speakers, and pay a whopping $550 for it. Or cheaper if you just want the barest bones one and throw in a $50 512GB SD card.

It's friggen' outrageous.

I get that if people wanted to play it docked at non-720p res, or their lifestyle and gaming habits made them have the desire to play a really high-end game for more than 2 hours before recharging, then I can get there might be some disappointment. For me it's largely it's exceeded my every expectation, which was entirely based around not being tied to a PC screen and instead playing on my sofa, in bed, or while traveling.

Yeah, as a friend that got her's at the same time put it, it impressively turns a large number of pc games into portable pc games. But as said though, this system was intended to be my lounge system where I can play some of my backlog games. But also the games that more support that as well. For example, I only bought stardew valley on the switch just for the lounge and portability of it. Now, my original purchase on steam is back to being my go to.

Edit:

triple sulk posted:

I put Crisis Core on it cause I'd never played it and the emulator via EmuDeck seems to just work, which is nice, and I might actually get 6.5 hours of battery life or so if the estimate was accurate. The contrast is firing up the Tales of Arise demo (didn't buy it on PS5 at release due to the demo being mediocre and iffy reviews) and it gets about an hour and a half.

I'm sure there's a middle ground but I'd hope something happens to make it better for AAA type games or even getting MMOs working well (or at all) out of the box since those are probably decent screw around games. Some of that depends on getting the publishers to comply since EAC is needed, but it feels like a major missed opportunity. I'm not sure what preparations occurred in the year between initial reservations and now but it feels like a lot of work still needs to happen, even around ideal configurations for performance if only to reduce the need for that much tinkering. Maybe that'll never happen but I'm sure you could aggregate user settings into an applied average.

FF14 works on the deck. Since I have the non steam version (because I bought it as a physical collectable back with 1.0), I'm using xivlauncher tied to the steam ff14 trial download to play. Worked fine for that. Hopefully more come around for sure, but there may be some already out just not in the big list for people to know about.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 25, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, I don't see myself buying any more Switch games that aren't Nintendo exclusives. The Switch is back to being what every Nintendo console I've ever had has been - a Pokemon machine.
And if I ever get around to setting up emulators even that might gently caress off.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can see why people might not like the deck but for someone like me who hasn't had a pc in about a decade its been a nice catch up

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nuts and Gum posted:

tbh I really appreciate the fact that you can do that-- it's one thing to say "Develop a port for the Switch with the Switch hardware in mind specifically", but you're not going to get an indie dev that went out of business 2 years ago to cycle back on their PC game to make an "explicitly Deck-optimized version". What would be cool is if they get to a point of having "Optimized for the Deck" community settings in a similar vein to the control schemes, but the (lack of) settings involved may preclude that-- it's not like it takes more than the first 5 minutes of gameplay to pretty well dial in a good framerate/TDP and never touch it again.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I don't see myself buying any more Switch games that aren't Nintendo exclusives. The Switch is back to being what every Nintendo console I've ever had has been - a Pokemon machine.
And if I ever get around to setting up emulators even that might gently caress off.

Yeah this was pretty much why I sprung for a Deck in the first place-- I really like the Switch's form factor and portability and was unhappy about the whole "emulators mean potentially-bannable console mods and playing your backlog means buying the game again and paying the Switch Tax on top of it, if a port even happens". The Deck's solved that quite handily, at this point my only real complaint is that it doesn't always cleanly go from handheld to monitor mode and back again reliably, and compared to "having to get a dongle to CFW your console on reboot" that's an incredibly minor gripe.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Haven't had access to my pc for over half a year so the deck has been a godsend for me. Playing the great ace attorney chronicles and the binding of isaac while on the couch is really awesome.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I use it to play homm3 and it's great for that, its great for old rpgs too. if you don't like games then don't get it imo

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the switch is 5 years old at this point
i think if/when switch 2 comes out, many deck gamers will get it. games on it will have the benefit of being built against it

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s refreshing to just own a console. No need to jailbreak it or flash it or whatever. It’s just mine to do with what I want and put on what I want

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Why did you have to run the emulator via desktop?

I can't really get the emulation station thing working with several platforms. I've tried PS3, PSX, and Gamecube and Gamecube is the only one that ran ok (still ran less well than it did on desktop). I could only get PSX to load in a core that I wasn't able to mess with settings easily in and PS3 just never loaded for me (had bios for both). I'm probably missing something stupid but I didn't really care because it's easy enough to run Duckstation on the desktop and work with that.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I think the Deck is great for games with 30 FPS caps like Okami or Final Fantasy Type-0. 30 Hz is under my monitor's supported gsync range and they don't look very good with all the screen tearing on a 144 Hz display.

I see it as a definitive backlog killer that just happens to play more demanding titles. It's also great being able to check out retro games I never got to play due to growing up in the boonies with no access to big name stores. I had a Sega CD but only ever got to play Sewer Shark and Sonic CD on it. Now I can get pissed off at Working Designs localizations just like it's the mid 90s. Read angry, old usenet posts for maximum effect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just played through Inscryption using the trackpad and it felt great. I think the feel of the trackpads is really dependent on hell well they’re tuned. I was pretty impressed with how natural it felt to play a mouse-driven game on the Deck, though.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I guess you could Steam Link to a phone or something

Yeah if all you really want is to stream from a PC this would be my recommendation. You can grab something like a Backbone (https://playbackbone.com/products/backbone-one/) or Razer Kishi (https://www.razer.com/mobile/controllers) for <$100 plus no wait. Obviously not as solid of a form factor plus there's usually some weirdness by model based on what phone you have/does it have a case, but if you're just looking for at-home streaming this is gonna be a much simpler option.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

only game that's given the Steam Deck trouble for me was Supraland Six Inches Under, though once I brought the settings down I was able to run it at 45FPS/hz locked

e: also I prefer 45 to 40 personally, 40hz looks weird to me, like the screen looks weird to me because of the refresh rate. i can't explain it. 45 doesn't have this issue for me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How do I actually change all these settings like refresh rate and tdp? Every guide just says to do it, but there's nothing like that in the settings

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Opopanax posted:

How do I actually change all these settings like refresh rate and tdp? Every guide just says to do it, but there's nothing like that in the settings
the dot dot dot button brings that menu up, it's one of the side tabs

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

You can get away with cranking the TDP down to minimum on Vampire Survivors at least. Turn off wifi and min brightness and you'll get 7-8 hours.

I tried that, and the game started lagging pretty badly once you get later into a stage and the screen is swarmed with enemies. Bumped the TDP up to like 9-10 and it runs a lot smoother. Can't really tell if it's made a difference yet though.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

stuker posted:

Yeah if all you really want is to stream from a PC this would be my recommendation. You can grab something like a Backbone (https://playbackbone.com/products/backbone-one/) or Razer Kishi (https://www.razer.com/mobile/controllers) for <$100 plus no wait. Obviously not as solid of a form factor plus there's usually some weirdness by model based on what phone you have/does it have a case, but if you're just looking for at-home streaming this is gonna be a much simpler option.

Thanks for the recommendations. Been playing a lot of Dinkum which seems like a perfect lazy day in bed game.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Elea posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Been playing a lot of Dinkum which seems like a perfect lazy day in bed game.

I have a glap Play p/1 Dual Shock Wireless Game Controller that I purchased but never used for more than 10 minutes. PM me your address and I'll send it to you as I'm obviously not using it...

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Golashes posted:

I can't really get the emulation station thing working with several platforms. I've tried PS3, PSX, and Gamecube and Gamecube is the only one that ran ok (still ran less well than it did on desktop). I could only get PSX to load in a core that I wasn't able to mess with settings easily in and PS3 just never loaded for me (had bios for both). I'm probably missing something stupid but I didn't really care because it's easy enough to run Duckstation on the desktop and work with that.

Go into emulationstation settings, alternative emulators, change everything that offers a standalone option to that. Retroarch is best avoided for anything that requires a bios or a disc, imho. Just too much weird stuff going on; feels like the core and libretro are always fighting over who gets to be in charge of settings and whatnot.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Is there any point to buying one of these if you live in a place with bad internet? On a *great* day I can get 10 mbps down and 3 up, and usually a fraction of that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mukaikubo posted:

Is there any point to buying one of these if you live in a place with bad internet? On a *great* day I can get 10 mbps down and 3 up, and usually a fraction of that.

Can you use regular steam? It’s the same thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how the hell is OP only getting 35fps on DOOM 2016 at 720p???? that can’t be right

It’s not. I’ve played through about half of it, and it runs mostly at a solid 60 with an occasional dip here and there.

I read that guys post and almost wonder if he’s downloading games in the background while playing or something. Because his entire experience with the deck is just nonsense to me .

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also iD makes their engines super scalable so that they can even run on the Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

Emulators, indie games, and older games would be fine. You could get bigger stuff by bringing it to Starbucks or w/e.

If you don't already have Steam and games on it, or fricking love emulators, it's a less exciting proposition.