Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got in the beta for the new Marvel phone game, Marvel Snap. It’s pretty good, it’s card based which I don’t normally enjoy but so far it’s not super over whelming and is handing stuff out at a good pace. It also doesn’t play like MtG or anything, it’s actually really close to Smash Up where you have 3 locations and are trying to control at least 2. It’s also 6 turns per game so matches are very quick, which I definitely prefer for a phone game.

e:Been having a lot of fun with it so far. It's definitely something I might get bored with soon or overwhelmed when they start pumping out a bunch of different packs, but it's enjoyable and rounds take like 5 minutes tops so it's perfect for a phone game

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Spidey stealth sections and hated how in hideouts once you took down enough enemies you were auto detected. The MJ sections where you had gadgets were fine, especially when she got a taser.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

I liked the Spidey stealth sections and hated how in hideouts once you took down enough enemies you were auto detected.

I'm not sure what happened there. Like they recognized stealth was far too easy so it would have made the bases a cakewalk (especially if going stealth reduced the overall number of enemies like in Miles' game) or maybe they thought there was a lack of variety that a longer stealth section would have made obvious.

Or, considering how the different/harder enemy types only show up in later waves, it could be that they didn't have time to do more stealth animations because I don't think any exist for Brutes, whip guys, shield/jetpack guys, etc. So they forced combat from Wave 2 onward once those enemies begin appearing? Miles' game improved in that regard because everyone has stealth takedown animations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Midnight Suns Captain America video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZrKZInJ9nk

Edit: Ignoring the gameplay, I think that little flame on the Midnight Suns costume's shield is just a bit silly. But other than that, it's a good-looking shield.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 10, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that costume is awful lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The shiny parts are very reminiscent of Bucky's version of the costume.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God drat his out of costume model looks really bad :downs:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

God drat his out of costume model looks really bad :downs:

Yeah, that's not a great look steve.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gotham Knights Is Designed as a Different Game for Each DC Hero

quote:

"Every character gets custom lines per level per cinematic, and they each get a character arc with multiple cinematics in it," WB Games Montréal narrative director Montréal Lemay told Inverse. "It was a lot of writing. But because we wanted that to be part of the experience -- and because gameplay and animation were doing the same thing on their side with unique animation sets and unique gameplay per character -- you had to rise to the occasion. It's four games in one."

The Bat Family-focused game, which lets players choose between Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin, was designed to encourage at least four playthroughs with each character, added cinematics director Wilson Mui. "We've managed to deliver essentially four cinematics in one," Mui said. "So when you're playing as Red Hood, you're gonna get your version of that cinematic, but let's say you decide to switch to Nightwing or Batgirl, you're gonna get their version. I can honestly tell you, those are four very different cinematics, different dialogue, and different interactions with characters."

I wonder how easy it'll be to make the story completely incoherent through switching characters.

Gotham Knights Game Prequel Series Debuts an 1800s Gotham City Hero

quote:

The synopsis for Batman: Gotham Knights – Gilded City reads, "In Batman: Gotham Knights – Gilded City, a mysterious virus has infected Gotham City—turning its victims into rabid, yellow-irised maniacs driven to looting, theft, and bursts of anger. Batman – in his final case before his death – and his Gotham Knights struggle to keep this strange virus contained while investigating its origins. But this is not the first time this unusual illness has overtaken the city, as the series splits between present-day Gotham City and the Gotham City of the 1800s, as The Dark Knight and his allies discover the Runaway – one of Gotham City’s earliest masked vigilantes."

That sounds kinda fun, the kind of stuff I like to read.

Oh, and there's an Iron Man gameplay video for Midnight Suns that I haven't watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryPiuPeOTuA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'll definitely believe it when I see it for that Gotham Knights news.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My guess is that most people will play either Nightwing or Batgirl and barely anyone touches Red Hood and Robin.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Batman's 'really dead' and the Joker won't be in Gotham Knights, says creative director

quote:

As part of a fan Q&A at San Diego Comic-Con, WB Games Montréal creative director Patrick Redding said that Batman is "really dead" in Gotham Knights, according to IGN(opens in new tab). Really and truly and for real this time, no take-backsies in the final cutscene or anything. Also, the Joker won't be in it, though Redding followed that statement by saying, "I will not confirm or deny whether Harley is". Given that Harley Quinn is practically the face of the DC Universe these days, her appearance wouldn't be too surprising.

How many villains have they actually confirmed?

quote:

Redding gave away one more detail about Gotham Knights: how many of the Riddler's question marks would be scattered across its version of Gotham City. Apparently, there's "exactly one" of them. Sorry, puzzle fans.

Well there's some good news.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

Batman's 'really dead' and the Joker won't be in Gotham Knights, says creative director

How many villains have they actually confirmed?

Well there's some good news.

Freeze, and I guess Riddler. With Red Hood in it I would be surprised if Ra's Al-Ghul isn't at least mentioned, and there's someone who looks like they could be Bane in the Batgirl trailer, or it could just be a thug with venom tech.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Plus penguin and court of owls

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1551585677305065473?s=21&t=5xyMcW14Lb9NgZ7gOyIFnw

This might be interesting!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I'd be more interested if it wasn't open-world, but could be good, maybe?

wonder what playing as the "new BP" means - do you play as a young T'Challa, or is T'Challa dead at the beginning of the game? the latter seems like a potential misstep given that there's clearly a hunger for more T'Challa stories after Boseman's tenure in the role was cut short, but the game is still very early so we'll see

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open world can work really well, assuming we're talking Wakanda. Like I don't think open world is the best option for most superheroes but specifically for Black Panther I think it'd be great. Different factions and environments, attacking/protecting strongholds, building influence in regions, tower defense mechanics, scouting, sidequests taking you around the world, and then probably also the usual open world BS like light puzzle work to open up the viewable map.

And unlike a lot of characters he has some traversal options. Maybe we can run super fast? But there are also animal mounts and flying craft.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe it's a monkey's paw thing and it's a Crew game the open world is just a reused NYC map from some other game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

Maybe it's a monkey's paw thing and it's a Crew game the open world is just a reused NYC map from some other game

For a minute I forgot about The Crew comic title with Luke Cage and the others and thought you meant that open-world online racing game from last gen and I was like yeah, I guess Black Panther could drive some fast cars?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

For a minute I forgot about The Crew comic title with Luke Cage and the others and thought you meant that open-world online racing game from last gen and I was like yeah, I guess Black Panther could drive some fast cars?

The Bast and the Furious

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm not exactly a fan of open world games, but I do find the idea of moving around as Black Panther in an open world exciting. Running super fast, climbing up buildings, maybe even using spirit transformations to run, leap, and fly around? There are lots of exciting possibilities there. Plus, Wakanda would be a beautiful environment to be able to explore freely. Consider me cautiously optimistic.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Bast and the Furious

:golfclap:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Barry Convex posted:

I'd be more interested if it wasn't open-world, but could be good, maybe?

wonder what playing as the "new BP" means - do you play as a young T'Challa, or is T'Challa dead at the beginning of the game? the latter seems like a potential misstep given that there's clearly a hunger for more T'Challa stories after Boseman's tenure in the role was cut short, but the game is still very early so we'll see

You create your own character and you are a random Wakandian citizen.
By the end of the Tutorial you will have engaged in the ritual duel to become Black Panther.
The rest of the game will be this sort of strange narrative since you became a ruler of a country before the end of the first Act and where do you go from there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Question IRL posted:

By the end of the Tutorial you will have engaged in the ritual duel to become Black Panther.
The rest of the game will be this sort of strange narrative since you became a ruler of a country before the end of the first Act and where do you go from there?

I feel like this is fraught ground because no matter how you approach it, you'll get "why can you make a white guy" or "why can't I make a white guy"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like this is fraught ground because no matter how you approach it, you'll get "why can you make a white guy" or "why can't I make a white guy"

"Because gently caress you, that's why" is a perfectly acceptable response there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
"You don't like it, take it up with Bast." :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's several mods for GTA San Andreas to make CJ white.

Edit: Was San Andreas the first game where you played as a black guy? Obviously there's a bunch of games before it where you could pick from several characters or you controlled multiple people like in a party based RPG and some of the characters were black or you could create your own character and there were options where you were black, but I can't think of an earlier one where there was only one main character and that character was black.

Double edit: I just checked and there were video game adaptations of the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, so I amend my question to was GTA San Andreas was the first good where you play as a black guy?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 27, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

I wanna make a 7'2 BP who just ragdolls villains around

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The Question IRL posted:

Was movie T'Chaka supposed to be retired as BP at the time of Civil War? I know that traditionally the role of Black Panther and king of Wakanda are one and the same, but that raises certain questions about having your country's resident champion be like, a man in his mid 60s

Then again, having a head of state who has to double as a superhero would be a very effective way to set term limits

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Was movie T'Chaka supposed to be retired as BP at the time of Civil War? I know that traditionally the role of Black Panther and king of Wakanda are one and the same, but that raises certain questions about having your country's resident champion be like, a man in his mid 60s

Then again, having a head of state who has to double as a superhero would be a very effective way to set term limits

I don't think he was, but since they were still so isolationist he probably wasn't too active

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Skwirl posted:

There's several mods for GTA San Andreas to make CJ white.

Edit: Was San Andreas the first game where you played as a black guy? Obviously there's a bunch of games before it where you could pick from several characters or you controlled multiple people like in a party based RPG and some of the characters were black or you could create your own character and there were options where you were black, but I can't think of an earlier one where there was only one main character and that character was black.

Double edit: I just checked and there were video game adaptations of the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, so I amend my question to was GTA San Andreas was the first good where you play as a black guy?

First GAME? No. Off the top of my head I can think of Spawn, Shadowman and Blade

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ah, Shadow Man. I loved Redd Pepper's portentous doom-laden tones gettin' all introspective as you go deeper and deeper into the Aslyum. Plus Legion calling you a pillock at the end of it for believing all the prophecy bollocks.

Anyway, there have been games going back to the 80s. Daley Thompson's Decathlon, slayer of a million joysticks would like to have a word.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There is a Blade game for the original GameBoy that is half Wild Guns-style gallery shooter and half beat-em-up. The gallery shooter bits are actually pretty fun, but the beat-em-ups levels are a real slog.

I don't have any broader point I'm trying to make here, I just wish there were more games like Wild Guns. :sigh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1556747093141663744?s=20&t=TjL2jfflifoYxS7imY0m0A

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well, good for them for not rushing it I guess.
Delays in entertainment media don't really bother me. It's not like I'm actively waiting for it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The character models they've been showing in videos have looked kind of rough. Sad to hear about a delay, but better that than crunch and releasing a poor product.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I could've sworn that the game had already been delayed for 2023, but turns out this is the timeline

Game's announced last August for March 2022
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/2k-...e-switch-and-pc

In November they push it to Second Half 2022
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/11/marvels-midnight-suns-delayed-to-second-half-of-2022

Nine months later, on June 9th they confirm teh date October 7th
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/marvels-midnight-suns-launches-october-7

And now saying this Fiscal Year, so sometime before June 30th 2023?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They should probably try to get the game with Spider-Man in it out before the other game with Spider-Man in it next year.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

The character models they've been showing in videos have looked kind of rough. Sad to hear about a delay, but better that than crunch and releasing a poor product.
The Out of Suit/Relationship Events models were complete trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just want to be best friends with Magik. Ghost Rider can hang out too, and we can ride three deep in the Hellcharger.

I’ve really turned around on the card game mechanics. I can see myself wanting to make great decks for each character.